5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - Binoculars that WORK!
Published on March 22, 2009 by NeuronalContortionist

3.0 out of 5 stars Good binoculars. Cheap Carrying case and strap.
Binoculars are good. However, the seam on the carrying case was torn and not usable. Likewise the neck strap included is cheap and not usable
Published 18 days ago by Brian Cowan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - Binoculars that WORK!, March 22, 2009
This review is from: Nikon 8218 Trailblazer 10X25 Hunting Binoculars (Electronics)
I've grown up in a family populated by bird & wildlife lovers. Over the past decade, I've really developed an interest in bird-watching. 6 months ago, I moved to a wonderful new home situated on a decently sized pond. For only being approx football-field-sized, it has a tremendous variety of waterfowl. From September (moved-in) until Christmas, I couldn't see any of the birds well enough to clearly identify them.

For Christmas, My parents gave me a pair of the Nikon Trailblazer 10x25 ATB (#8218) binoculars. I couldn't be more thilled! Over my 34 years of life, I have tried pair after pair of binoculars handed to me by family eager for me to share in seeing what they saw. I never could (1)hold the binoculars steady enough, (2)get the binoculars accurately focused, or (3)see through them with my glasses. This Nikon pair which I've now owned 3 months has been perfect.

The binoculars' lightness allows me to hold them perfectly stable. (Despite more than adequate strength, I struggle with coordination & its maintenance).

I can focus the binoculars and see things with astounding detail & clarity. I was able to focus these binoculars and see clearly the first time I used them. The pair's lightness also makes it very easy to change focus quickly to maintain clarity while still maintaining view of a bird as the bird changes location.

My glasses are no hindrance. The adustable eyecaps on the binoculars also allow my family to use them. My parents own several quality pair themselves but also find these far superior in sharpness and usability.

I haven't tested the water-proof feature of this pair yet and so cannot comment on that. I've had no problem whatsoever with the workmanship of the binoculars. Unlike a previous reviewer, I've found the eyepieces to remain tight & in place and the caps to fit snugly but not too tightly.

To sum up, this pair of Nikon 10x25 binoculars has given me the ability to see birds with astounding clarity & detail - an ability I have lacked until now despite trying MANY pair of binoculars in the past. I am completely impressed with the quality of workmanship and am absolutely grateful for this gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 10x25 Trailblazer ATB Binocular (Black), December 18, 2010
I purchased my Nikon Trailblazer for archery hunting. They are easy to adjust, very clear, compact, waterproof, and good in low light. These quality binoculars are a great buy for the money. I would highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Compacts for the Price, August 25, 2010
These have a bak 4 roof prism, and I've read that porro prisms provide a better picture on most binoculars under $200, BUT Nikon has once again proven that they are not going to put their name on substandard equipment.

I always take these binoculars on outings and to plays (Best of Broadway). The image is excellent. I get cheap tickets and sit in the very back of a dark theater, and I have no problem seeing the performers' faces. Before purchase, I was concerned with the small 2.5mm exit pupil in the dark, but it is not a problem for my 30-year old eyes. I've used them at night while camping, and they work fine. The image is slightly darker but detailed, and that is to be expected with small exit pupils.

One of the great novelties of owning the 10 x 25 Trailblazer ATBs is that I can wear it discretely on my belt in its case without attracting attention.
The construction of the tubes is solid (rubber over metal). The right tube has a little more resistance to folding out that the left tube does. The bridge in the middle is hollow plastic but sturdy, and the center focus knob has about 1/8" play before engaging. These short comings are lost in the benefits of use.

Someone broke into my car and stole these binoculars, but managed to drop them under a neighbor's bush. They were watered by the sprinklers for a few days before being found. I washed them off with warm soapy water, and they are as good as ever. I decided to buy another pair of the same binoculars before the old ones were found, because the quality for the price are unmatched. My wife tells me "you love those binoculars, don't you?" Yes I do.

Update----------------------------------------------------------------------

The little control arm broke apart in the track that moves the aperture in and out of focus. It was a wake up call for me. The optics are great, but the mechanics have left me wanting. Prior to breaking, the affected tube gave a good deal of resistance folding out. Now I have two monoculars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great nice toy for travelling, October 11, 2008
After hours of research, I decided to go for this binoculars. I was particular about the binos being weather-proof. We had some bats making their home in our attic and I had to find out where they would get in during sunset. So I had to have a bino! I didn't want a particularly full-size one due to their heaviness, or so I thought. I was keen on at least 10x magnification. All this lead to the Nikon ATB weatherproof, fogproof Trailblazer 10x25.

I was amazed at the size of it when it arrived. I didn't visualize the size when I ordered it. When you order one online, don't forget check out its measurements, as it is the closest thing to actually feeling it or seeing it. The trailblazer felt so light, that I didn't feel good about it. I felt I preferred a slightly heavier one.

The clarity was excellent. I am not big critic of binoculars. My use is very limited, at least so far. My 60mm Meade telescope obviously gets better clarity and distant viewing, but given the trailblazer's size, what you see is amazing. They will make an ideal companion to take along on a tour without adding any weight. They, in fact, can easily fit into your pockets, even with their carry bag on!

Size, clarity and weight - I give top marks for the money I spent. However, I felt I needed something slightly bigger and heavier.

The construction is fine for most part. The lens caps on the eye-relief fit too smugly. While pulling them out, be careful not to use too much force or you could yank out the eye reliefs. The eye reliefs, themselves, are a plus as many with glasses will benefit from these.

Overall, I can't complain too much given the ninety dollars I paid for these. At these price ranges, you won't find a perfect one, there will be something or the other that you can find fault with. I am sure I will use these binoculars for a long time, though.

Nikon has a 25 year warranty, that I read is excellent. They don't ask questions if they need to replace, which is another plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Binoculars!, May 30, 2010
The binoculars are great! They are so small and fragile looking and they are so cute!
They are great binoculars, I can see what a gasoline sign says from 700 feet away or so!
They are easy to adjust and they have simple instructions for use.
If you are looking for cute of small binoculars that you can take anywhere, these are right for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, May 27, 2012
They are as advertised, easy to use, clarity is clear and crisp, easy to carry or pack in your day pack. We have used them several times and are very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Binoculars, March 31, 2011
After trying out many different pairs of compact binoculars in this price range, I can confidently state that these were the best, and compare favourably to binoculars costing twice as much. In all light conditions, I found the image to be fantastic. In particular, I liked the sharpness, with feather details beautifully presented; I also liked the contrast, which gave a sense of depth to the image.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Father-in-law, January 5, 2012
My father-in-law loves these binoculars we gave him for Christmas. Right away he said the quality is much better than his old pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, May 25, 2014
A. Snyder (Longview, WA) - See all my reviews
I am 100% pleased with this purchase. I am very nearsighted (-5 and -10) and I can see everything in sharp detail with these binoculars. Colors through the lenses are bright and the product is easy to use. Also a great compact size for travel. Couldn't be happier!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for the size and price, June 21, 2013
For pocket size binoculars these are by far better than anything else on the market. I'm so glad I didn't go for a cheaper pair.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›