5.0 out of 5 stars Africa Up Close
I purchased these binoculars for use during a two-week African safari. Such an excursion is rare for me so I wanted to be equipped properly. My travel site recommended binoculars in the range of 7x35 to 10x50. My instinct, of course, was to go with 10x50. The bigger, the better! Right?

Though I have been a backyard birder for years, I always made do with my...
Published on November 19, 2011 by Don Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware
These binoculars did not come with a case, cleaner or lens covers. It did not advertise that it did but wouldn't you assume it had a least a case and lens covers? I certainly did. Fooled me. Buyer beware. For a very few dollars more you can buy them from Nikon brand new with everything.
Published 13 months ago by Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars Africa Up Close, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)

Though I have been a backyard birder for years, I always made do with my 10x50 Bushnell binoculars. I had no idea they were low-end binoculars until I began researching other models. While researching, I learned of several specifications used for binoculars and was able to identify the specifications most important to me: 1.) weight, 2.) magnification, 3.) diameter, 4.) focal distance, 5.) mirror type, 6.) weatherproof, and 7.) price.

I prepared an Excel spreadsheet listing a dozen models, one per row, and entered the above specs in columns. I even looked up the specs on my Bushnell model. From there it was easy to see how the binoculars compared. Once I established priorities for the specifications, such as weight, mirror type and price, the choices narrowed. Eventually I settled on the NIKON 8239 Trailblazer 10x42 ATB Binocular because of its surprising low weight, fine mirrors, weatherproofing and reasonable price.

Once in Africa the binoculars performed admirably. From the foggy mornings in the shadow of Kilimanjaro to the arid mid-day heat of the Serengeti, the Nikon binoculars delivered clear, crisp images of the flora and fauna we were there to see. The 42mm diameter made it easy to follow moving animals and the 10x brought them up close. The lenses inevitably became covered with dust but that was easily wiped away with a lint-free cloth.

If I had to buy binoculars again, I would buy this exact model. My wife feels the same about her identical binoculars.

So, what about my trusty old Bushnell model? I had cared for those binoculars meticulously for years, even keeping the carrying case clean and new looking. But once I returned from Africa after experiencing the Nikon model, the Bushnell binoculars got tossed in a box and donated to charity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good binoculars for game viewing, November 9, 2011
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)
I purchased these for a trip to Kenya and Tanzania, as was very pleased with the results. The combination of field of view, magnification and clarity of optics was excellent. They are larger and heavier than the smallest binoculars available, but the difference in capability is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars sharp as Nikon, August 8, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)
these are great - as sharp as you would expect from Nikon optics.
Bright, small - good value for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, October 25, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars NIKON 8239 Trailblazer ATB Binocular, March 3, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)
If you want a pair of lightweight binoculars with excellent clarity and typical nixon build, I can not recommend these highly enough. Great quality and such good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, April 7, 2013
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)
A bit heavier than I expected, but clarity is superb. I would recommend this product to a friend. Birding is great with these bins.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok not great, October 3, 2013
Clarity and brightness great. W
When rubber eye rings are screwed out for use without eye glasses there is a black ring that appears at bottom of view unless positioned perfectly to avoid this - a little aggravating.
Would like a hand strap on side to eliminate neck strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built and Good Quality, April 5, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)
Bought these as a Christmas gift for one of my son-in-laws because he works for the railroad. The fact that they're waterproof and fog proof was the main reason for my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi Quality, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)
Gave this as a gift to my son and he loves the binoculars. I did a ton of research online and looked at probably a hundred products and felt that this was the best buy and it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Field Glasses, February 9, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars (Electronics)
I bought these as a gift for my girlfriend who is a field biologist and she loves them. They are small enough to carry all the time and provided a great image. So far they seem quite durable, but they are still relatively new so only time will tell on that count.

Nikon 8239 10x42 Trailblazer ATB Binoculars