Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on December 16, 2013
If you don't have a lot of money for binoculars, getting bigger objectives (the 42 of the 8x42) gives you a lot for the money. So does the porro prism layout (not straight-barreled) .The problem then becomes weight. Nikon really cuts the weight on the chassis. The build quality is still good. There are compromise: the color isn't perfect, the brightness varies a bit, but Nikon never gives in on super-sharp resolution. If someone doesn't have binoculars this will blow them away. If they have little 8x21 or 10x25 binocs, this might blow them away even more. I have fancier binoculars, but I toss these in the car sometimes because they're plenty good and I don't fret about mishaps. They are cheap, almost excellent, and very rugged. The light weight and nice hand-grip shaping really reduce image shake a lot.
33 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2014
I play with photographic gear alot so I am familiar with various aspect of optical performance.

The image is bright and sharp, very nice 3D rendering. The field of view is wide, way better than similar priced/spec roof prisms. This blows away the other 8X42 roof prisms I tried. Weight is about about right for a full size binocular.

Yes, the Aculon, has a tiny bit of chromatic aberration at high contrast edges.
Yes, the edge of the view is not pin sharp.

To get the next image quality update, you will need to break into the $200+ range to look for any real improvements. For the average user, it's simply hard to tell the difference.
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2014
These binoculars were a gift to accompany an astronomical telescope, given as a graduation present.

Astronomical applications are a bit more demanding on optics than terrestrial applications typically are, and these binoculars delivered decent star images for their respective cost.

NOTE: The "diopter" on the binos I received was a bear to turn and adjust until it got worked around a few dozen times, and if you've got large hands as I do, the screw-out eye cups will get in the way of your twisting the diopter (someone with smaller fingers would not be bothered by this). But once the diopter gets worn in, all is well.

I find that many people never learn to use a binocular correctly, as they don't adjust the diopter to suit their individual eye strengths.

Most of us, by the time we're adults, have slightly different eye strengths between our left and right eyes, and if you don't adjust your binos to accommodate this, they will never function optimally for you and you'll never be getting you money's worth out of them.

Binoculars are ostensibly two small refracting telescopes joined together to yield a binocular (a/k/a stereo) view. To adjust a binocular for your eyes, do the following:

1) Pick a distant, bright target. I like to use a bright star or planet. But it can be anything--a STOP sign, say.

2) Cover the objective lens (at the front) on the side of the binocular that does not have a diopter adjustment for the eyepiece. Now, look at your target and focus it as sharply as you can, using the center focusing adjustment, viewing through that side of the binocular only. Is the image as sharp as you can get it?

3) Now, cover the objective lens you just looked through in Step 2, and look at your target again through the other side. This time, adjust the focus using only the diopter wheel on the eyepiece you are looking through (do not touch the center focuser). Rotate the diopter left or right until your target is as sharp as it is going to get. When the image is sharp--you're done!

4) Uncover both objective lenses and have at it--the binocular has been adjusted for your eyes! From here out, just use the center focuser on anything you want to look at!

If you didn't know this, and haven't done this, most of you will be surprised at how much improvement you'll see immediately. And unless somebody readjusts the diopter, you should be set for any viewing you want to do.

Since I share my binos with my wife, I usually reset the diopter before any viewing session, as it takes just seconds to do so.

RayB
on November 23, 2013
Recently took up (again) bird watching from our yard and surrounding woods. These are better than the ones my husband bought for his sail boat from a marine store that were $200 more expensive! I wanted to get a better look at my feathered friends and see if I've managed to attract a wider variety of birds by changing the bird seed. These are really good and very easy to use. We sit on the screen porch or patio or deck and watch the birds and use them on walks in the woods. The price was great and I really like them. I have a thinner head than my husband - oval shaped - and I found his binoculars very uncomfortable. These work great for me and they also work very well for him. (So much so that he'd like to steal them away….)
on May 23, 2013
Perfect for Birding. Bright with a wide field of view. Easy to focus and locate your target. Very highly recommended.
on September 2, 2013
These are proving to be perfect for our intended use of sitting on our screen porch and nature observing.
They are working well with my bifocals
I can clearly see the trees and details on the hills miles away to the west or a Texas scaled lizard on the branch 7 meters from me.
I also used them to bring Mars, Jupiter, Venus, and the moon a bit closer, so to speak, although I am having difficulty locating the tripod adapter, in stock, for this model
on September 1, 2013
These binocs are a great deal. They are very easy to focus, and very bright and clear to look thru. The field of vision is pretty wide too.
on October 4, 2014
We bought these to take on an African safari, and couldn't have been more delighted with them. We could see the strands of fur on a lion's mane and birds 1/2 mile away. They are clear and easy on the eyes. Yes, they are heavy, but totally worth the extra luggage weight. Highly, highly recommend
on January 10, 2015
This item may be fine, but the description on Amazon says that it weighs 8 oz. when it fact it weighs 26.6, according to the manufacturer's specs. I bought these as light weight and easy to carry around, but they are much bigger and heavier than I want for that purpose. I will use them in my yard for bird watching, but beware of the inaccurate Amazon description.
on December 24, 2013
Purchased Bushnell 1st, returned them because of double vision. Got the Nikon, more expense but worth the price.
Easy to focus.