5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens with Beautiful Bokeh
I was looking at the 85mm lens. I was torn between the 85mm f/1.8G lens and the 85mm f/3.5G Micro lens. While I enjoy taking macro/micro shots, I wanted a lens that was sharp and had good bokeh. I also wanted to use the lens for general photography. I was spoiled using my 40mm f/2.8G micro lens as it does a great job with both micro and general photography. I decided...
Published on July 4, 2012 by S. Gable

3.0 out of 5 stars A great value for the money
PROS:
Nice lens. Light weight lens. Good working focal length for portrait use. Nice wide aperture creates some creamy bokeh, not the best but very pleasant. This quick glass allows for sharp shots handheld without a tripod, even in low light. Lens is convenient to use walking around town. I am now using it more then my 24-70 zoom when I am just carrying around...
Published 13 months ago by Dwight

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 429 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this before the Nikon discount goes away!, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I extensively reviewed all four Nikon 85mm lenses (1.4g, 1.4D, 1.8g and 1.8D). Eventually, I settled on this 400$ piece of glass and here are the reasons why;
1. I was unable to tell the difference between the 1.4g and 1.8g. I tried very very hard to tell the difference and was unable to do so. I also find 1.4 f stop not a very useful f stop, unless I am shooting low light or/and at infinity. I also have a 50mm 1.4D, an older lens that I use for getting to f 1.4, when I need it. I personally doubt very much whether the 1200 $ difference between the 85mm 1.4 G and 1.8G is worth it.
2. The older 85mm 1.4d and 1.8d are reputedly more sturdy in construction than the new 85mm 1.8g. The focusing however on the 1.8g is more reliable and faster as per many reviewers I checked. I have not done these comparisons, but, I found the new 1.8g to be very fast and ultra-reliable in focusing which is why I bought it. I would rather buy an ultra reliable lens that is accurate and very fast to focus, than something that is slow, less reliable in focusing but built like a tank.
3. Many reviewers of this lens have commented on the superb optics of this lens. My experience confirms this. This lens has simply phenomenal optics. It just works. After struggling for many days/weeks, this is what made the decision for me, is its superb optics. That is what photography is all about, isn't it?
4. There are many criticisms of this lens that I read on line before I bought it: It is made in China (so what? China also makes good quality products). The internal motor may give out (well many pro grade lenses by Nikon have internal motors too). Furthermore, this lens is just too new for one to figure out how the internal motor may or may not work. The lens has a cheap plastic feel to it. Well, personally, the outside plastic seemed fine to me. I did not find any rattles or otherwise with the lens. Mind you, I almost always buy my lenses new, and treat my gear very very carefully. The lens, in my opinion is too new to comment on its durability. I do not believe that even so called experts have a way to figure out whether this lens is durable or not or whether its internal motor is reliable or not after two years of its release. Yes, if you trash your gear, buy a tank!
5. Another criticism of this lens: It is a G type (does not have an aperture ring). Well, get over it, use the aperture settings on the camera, that is what they are made for.
The 85mm focal length is a magical focal length. Use it and see for yourself, why. It is wonderful for portraits and street photography itself. It does limit the field of view a little by comparison to the 50mm, but you will find ways around it, as I did. I found the best f stop to be around 1.8 to about 2.2 for bokeh and sharpness both. In my personal experience, the DOF is too shallow at f 1.4, and for that I use the older 50mm f 1.4D which is a phenomenal older lens in its own right. For the money and 100$ Nikon discount, this in my opinion is a phenomenal deal for a piece of glass with other wordly optics that work! Buy it. I did, and am very happy. See the two pictures I uploaded with detailed metadata, shot with Nikon D90.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite portrait lens. Crisp sharpness, great quality, buttery bokeh., May 31, 2012
I ordered this lens for my portrait photography and I have never been so happy with a lens purchase. While I was tempted to go for a Zeiss 85mm for my Nikon D7000, I knew that I'd be missing the AF. Man am I glad that I went with this over a totally manual-focus lens. The AF on this lens is extremely quiet, accurate, and can go from 0.8m to infinity in just under a second. And if I want to perform manual override, it's there for me, unlike other earlier lenses that required me to switch out of AF mode and into a strictly Manual mode.

The bokeh is great due to the focal length and the lens' curved aperture blades. I find that backgrounds aren't cluttered or distracting, just smooth and dreamy.

The build is all plastic, and I'm fine with that. It feels nice in the hands, but it isn't too heavy that it'll make shooting strenuous. The hood is a snap-on (rotate-on to be precise), and it suits the look of the lens while reducing hazing and unwanted flares.

It's a FX lens, so it'll work great on FX and DX bodies alike. My D7000 is a 1.5x crop factor, which means it comes out at 127.5mm, meaning a tighter field of view. One upside is that while this lens is sharp across all apertures, it loses a tiny bit of edge sharpness when wide-open, and there is a tiny amount of vignetting from f/1.8-2.2. Having the DX crop cuts all that out, so even if I lose that 35mm crop, I don't have to worry about these (barely noticeable) qualities.

If you are looking for a very fast, sharp, and color-rich portrait lens, this is the best price for a prosumer entering professional market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Great for portraits., August 26, 2013
I enjoy taking portraits. This lens is perfect on my Nikon D3100. It produces beautiful bokeh, and operates with a comfortable distance between me and my subject. Not 15' away like with a 200m, nor 3' away like with a 50mm. It's just right. Facial features do not appear distorted, focus is adequately fast and is amazingly clear. Depth of field can be incredibly small. It's easy to take a close-up with your subject's eyes in tack sharp focus, but with their ears blurred. It does a great job taking pictures in the shade or indoors with available light. Honestly, since I bought this lens a month ago, I haven't bothered mounting any of my other lenses. I'm having too much fun. I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to a D800, August 20, 2013
So after purchasing my Nikkor 80-200 f4 and being completely satisfied, I grabbed this 85mm 1.8, which over the past few months has been a great value. It's not to heavy on the pocketbook, and I'm happy with the results on my D800. I'm a long time fan of primes and after checking out the tests at DXOMark I decided to check it out. This lens produces great bokeh and is sharp as a tack on subject when you need it to be. As with any lens, it took some testing and working time to get used to it under various conditions. I'd say the biggest challenge was the shallow depth of field at 1.8, not as challenging as the 50mm 1.4, but a challenge none the less. Also, this lens has proved to be good in the dark as well. I recommend it based upon the overall value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Quality!, May 12, 2013
This was the first prime lens that I purchased and actually the first Nikon lens. Used it on a couple of engagement and senior portrait shoots and it quickly became my standard over my 70-200. Some say it feels "cheap" because of the plastic housing. I say the image quality speaks for itself and the "cheapness" others feel I like as it makes the lens much lighter.

5.0 out of 5 stars value with excellent results, April 29, 2013
I own the Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S version of this lens and bought this as a gift for a relative. There is a difference in comparing the two in their rendering at more open apertures with my preference toward the f/1.4G. That said, the f/1.8G is wonderfully sharp across its range and once stopped down to apertures that you would use for landscapes, there is no perceivable difference between the two. Considering the vast difference in price between the two, one can only have love for this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great on the D800, January 15, 2013
I bought this lens a few months ago and have had the opportunity to use it on every single photo shoot I've done since then. I cannot seem to take it off my camera! It is now my new favorite lens! Bokeh is great. Speed is right where I need it. Highly recommend over the price tag of the 1.4G!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best lens for the money, October 25, 2012
The 85/1.8 may be Nikon's best lens for under 500 bucks. For the DX shooter (like me), it's a great portrait lens. It's fast, it's sharp as a tack - much more so than the 35/1.8 which seems to have lots of pincushion to it, and it takes great photos that do not require much correction for lens effects. Is it as good as the 1.4G? Probably not. Is it 95+% of the lens for 30% of the money? You betcha.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome lens!, November 27, 2012
O. Rascon (Chicago, illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I'm not one for lengthy reviews, so here's a breakdown of why this lens rocks. The Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, on my D3 and D700, performs flawlessly and delivers really sharp images. I usually shoot at around f/2.0 and the level of detail and sharpness is really impressive/amazing. I shoot weddings and portraits, so my focus is always on the eyes and this lens nails it almost all of the time (hey, shooting at f/2.0 you're going to get a lot of soft focuses images around the eyes). It's light, compared to Canons 85mm f/1.2, and just gets the job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Auto Focus 85mm available for Nikon imo., November 27, 2012
I love this lens. The weight, sharpness, color, contrast, and AF performance are all exactly where I want them to be. Compared directly to the 85mm 1.4 I found this lens sharper and the Bokeh just as pleasing to my eyes. Unless you NEED the extra light capabilities of the 1.4 I can't recommend the 85mm f/1.8 enough. The build quality is better than what I would expect for a $500 lens, and I'm not afraid to take it anywhere I need to go. Quickly becoming my favorite AF lens on my D600.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 429 | Next ›