4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but picture not as Sharp as the Nikon L22 model
Published 16 months ago by Ltracer

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, May 29, 2013
Cactus Jim "Cactus Jim" (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX L28 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Zoom Lens and 3" LCD (Red) (Camera)
After reading previous reviews I was leery about buying the Coolpix L28. But, I really like my Coolpix L120 so I thought I'd take a chance on the L28 because I needed something really portable. I made sure that I ordered a memory card that is rated at class 10. The slower cards (class 4, etc) will take somewhat longer to snap and store a picture. Wait times with my class 10 card are only about a second or 2 at most. Pictures I've taken so far are reasonably sharp and colors are true. My PC recognized the camera immediately without installing Nikon software and it was easy to move pictures onto my HD. The high resolution of the L28 means pictures can be enlarged considerably. For closeup I snapped a picture of a printed page at about 5 inches and the type was perfectly clear. It is true that the L28 doesn't do as well in a dark room as my L120. Pictures are a bit grainy, but normal room lighting produces good results. In my opinion, for people who want a snapshot camera that is small and portable and reasonably priced, the Coolpix L28 is a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and easy to use, March 6, 2013
This camera is really user friendly. It doesn't have the advanced features of some cameras, like manually adjusting the aperture, but it has many features and the exposure can be adjusted manually. I really like this camera and am very happy with my purchase. It is compact in size, but seems sturdy, like it could get accidentally dropped and not break in to a million pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using very Fast memory SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s to get 1 second response time between shoots, August 14, 2013
Nikon COOLPIX L28 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Zoom Lens and 3" LCD or any small digital compact camera. I you want fast response time between your next shoot, you have to use very fast SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash memory card 45/MB/s or 95MB/s. Normally this type of memory is used in DSLR cameras, but will work in any camera that can take SDHC memory card. I found this out about 6 years ago when taking pictures at a track event. I was missing getting the winner crossing the finish line, because of slow response using SDHC 10/MB/s memory. Another guy who was also taking pictures heard me complaining about missing the shots & told me about using 30/MB/s which was the fastest during that time. I later bought it & have been changing out my camera (for more megapixel & the faster memory every 3 to 3 years). With the faster memory you get one (1) second response time between your next shoot, instead of 6 to 8 seconds when using SDHC 10/MB/s memory card. I am currently using the SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash memory card 95MB/s.

You have to pay more than $10 or $15 for the fastest memory so that you get 1 second response time between shots.

As of 08-14-2013 here are some Amazon price on the Fastest SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 flash memory cards for 45/MB/s or 95MB/s.

SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $16.82 & free shipping on orders over $25.00, List Price: $48.99

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $27.99 & free shipping, List Price: $78.99

SanDisk Extreme 64 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $57.99 & free shipping, List Price: $199.99

SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $123.99 & free shipping, List Price: $174.99

SanDisk Extreme Pro 8 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $23.63 & free shipping on orders over $25.00, original List Price: $62.99

SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $38.39 & free shipping, original List Price: $78.99

SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $63.22 & frees shipping Regular $199.00

SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s by Scan Disk
Price $132.52 & frees shipping Regular $349.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but picture not as Sharp as the Nikon L22 model, May 10, 2013
I bought this camera bcoz I loved the Nikon Coolpix L22 model I bought in Thailand & have used for 3 years with no problems except I dropped it & the battery door clip broke off so I had to get a #8 blk rubber washer to hold the battery door closed tight. I thought the L28 would be pretty much the same camera as L22 but was disappointed bcoz the pictures are not quite as sharp as the L22. I did some research & discovered the only real true different in the cameras of any concern is the pixel size being 2.4 µm˛ for the L22 & 1.4 µm˛ for the L28 (bare minimum huge difference!!) - u can find out all this infor on snapsort.com about any camera. Also the L22 was made in Japan & L28 is made in China (personally I really don't think that makes any difference bcoz these are cheap $100 cameras, period). All in All I like the L28 bcoz it is a little bit smaller (almost micro) than the L22 & I love little double AA battery pocket cameras. I took 10s of thousands of awesome photos in Thailand for the 3 years I was living there but had to keep the camera in the Auto Mode with the flash always on & everything else off such as motion control, etc., in order to achieve very sharp colorful pictures. When I was in Thailand I meet hundreds of people that had rechargeable lithium Li-ion battery pocket cameras & 9 times out of 10 their batteries were always low or exhausted so missed thousands of unbelievable shots - when my rechargeable NI_MH double AA batteries gave out I just hoped 20 feet over to the nearest 7-11 & bought some cheap double AA batteries & was back in business within 10 minutes for 200 to 300 or 400 hundred more shots - everybody always asked me to email my pics to them bcoz their cameras were useless (true story) - that's why I love double AA pocket cameras bcoz u never miss a good shot - just have to find one that takes sharp photos every shot...

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned it..., September 19, 2013
I ordered this one straight away when my L18, which I loved, took a dive off the tripod. Even though I read the reviews here about blurry pictures, I had really loved the L18 and thought, quite honestly, it had to be the operator of the camera. Wrong. I did everything from close up mode, to auto mode to various scene modes, even used the timer and not touching the camera, and using a tripod, to finally contacting Nikon tech service and asking 'what am I doing wrong', pictures are not sharp. Sent them sample pictures and the final response from Nikon - the pictures are good for that camera and was told I could send in for techs to look at the camera. Thank goodness for Amazon's 30 day return policy. Brand new camera without sharp pictures. Not messing with shipping back and forth to tech support. Camera went back.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor mechanics, August 8, 2013
I love the size, etc of this camera BUT i have sent it back to Nikon twice because after taking a few pics the camera "freezes". It won't do anything. Just sits at what ever position or function it was in when it "freezes". I have to take the batteries out and let the camera "sit" for a few minutes and then reinstall the batteries and then a few pics later it "freezes" again. Nikon says they can't reproduce the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, October 22, 2013
Donna Kelly (Edison, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This camera was easy to use and took great clear pictures. If you are looking for a small great camera to just throw in your pocket this is perfect.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nikon COOLPIX L28 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Zoom (Red), April 18, 2013
Miss M (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Used it for two days and promptly boxed it up. First it had only one previous review so I didn't have much to go on. I tested the zoom, scenery settings, and flash and found all lacking. Very fuzzy pictures even without the zoom and long lags between photos. I'm sorry for the lack of technical verbiage, but hope this is helpful. I ended up trading to the Canon PowerShot SX160, which while not a DSLR camera, is a better point & shoot for me. It is much heftier (this Nikon was too small for my hands), much shorter lag time, and provides higher quality shots on just the auto settings.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3" LCD on a new Nikon L28 20.1 MP, November 1, 2013
On October 2, 2013, I received the camera that I had ordered as a gift to my wife. I tested it and everything was perfect. My wife used it on October 3, 2013 (2 pictures), October 5, 2013 (27 pictures), October 12, 2013 (37 pictures), October 20, 2013 (10 pictures), tried on October 31, 2013 (Halloween) and the 3"LCD screen does not work any more. All the times, the camera had been store within a hard case, in a safety place, and handed by my wife or myself. Nobody had used, touched, or dropped it. When trying to use it with our friends last night, the camera was worstless. What can we do?

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, October 16, 2013
My husband gave me the Nikon Coolpix L28 for my birthday. He bought it on the advice on a salesperson at Best Buy who said that the camera was very fast for a point and shoot. I currently have a Casio point and shoot that has an enormously long delay and so was excited to have this new camera. After using it several times, I have returned it. The quality of the photos was just abysmal.The photos were blurry no matter which mode I was in. The continual shooting feature did not work at all, in either the sport or pet mode. I actually thought that the camera might have had factory defects, but after reading other comments here I have decided that it is just an awful camera. I am now researching other cameras and have learned the hard way that you really do get what you pay for. This may be okay for an amateur (as in a small child). I'm no professional photographer by any means, and I do like a small point and shoot camera for convenience. But it has to take good photos and this camera just doesn't.