5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT!!
Birthday Present from my mom~ My very first personal camera (I usually use my aunt's canon) and I love it! I'm not a professional photographer but this camera takes really crisp pictures! Zoom is pretty good and the face tracking is really accurate~ Pixels are not all mashed up when you zoom in it warns you when you zoom in too much and you notice the increasing...
Published on March 31, 2012 by Nima

3.0 out of 5 stars SLOW Entry Level Camera
I picked up the S3300 at a Sam's Club because my S8000 started acting up while on vacation. I thought by staying in the Nikon family, all would be well. Big mistake!!! The extra $100 to get you into the next class of cameras is well worth it if you are more than the occasional photographer.

CONS
It's S-L-O-W. Painfully slow....so slow, that I returned...
Published on June 12, 2012 by R. Boss

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! I'm super satisfied, October 26, 2012
I've been looking to replace my compact camera and finally decided on this one. Upon opening the box, I was surprised how small it is. Gave it a test shot and wow ...what a great picture. The box included image transfer and movie editing software. This camera takes photos like my expensive large digital camera and is small enough to carry around like a cell phone. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a compact camera that great pictures for under $100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Nikon., January 1, 2013
I had a very positive reaction upon opening the box. It is really refreshing to open a product and see the things you'd expect, like a user's manual and a CD. And then to go to the manufacturer's website and see downloads, FAQs, and more manuals. Right from the start, I felt like I had really gotten a deal -- like this used to be a $300 camera, and they put the love and attention into it that you'd put into selling a $300 camera.

Now, some additional notes, as I got into the website and the camera.

The manual didn't tell me where to find my serial number, and neither did the product registration page. Neither the outside of the box nor the bottom of the camera indicated that the number shown there (which, inspection confirmed, was the same) was the "serial number" OR "S/N." Oddly, the Nikon product registration page indicated that no manuals or updates were available, when that was obviously not true.

I wish electronics manufacturers didn't find it necessary to use proprietary jacks and cables. That includes this Nikon. It would be a lot easier to pack for a trip, and there would be less risk of leaving an essential cable at home, if they would all just use the standard mini-USB cable. One cable would handle everything.

I installed the carrying strap, battery, and SDHC memory card. Mine came with a 4GB class 4 SDHC memory card, but I replaced that with an 8GB class 10. I had one lying around. Not sure if that helped. It didn't hurt.

The Nikon website is not well organized. For instance, I found myself at a page offering the answer to my question. But I had not asked any questions. The question being answered was, "Where can I download the latest Nikon software updates?" That was a good question. This page did not quite answer it. It showed 20 different updates, with no indication of which, if any, applied to my particular camera. Apparently I was supposed to load the included CD first, see what was on it, and infer that the only software applicable to me was whatever would be on the CD. But even then, no dates were supplied: I didn't see how I could tell whether the website's offerings were more recent than those on the CD.

Starting with the CD, I looked first at the proffered ViewNX2 software. I wasn't sure I needed it. I had prior experience with unnecessary camera software. I already had image editors I liked. I figured out that the included recharger was just a transformer, from 120V AC to the USB input needed by the camera, so I put that part back in the box and just ran the USB cable directly from the computer to the camera. As soon as I connected that, the camera turned on and let me set date and time. I also got a dialog on the computer, offering to let me browse or import pictures, etc. So I held off on installing ViewNX2 for now.

That meant I didn't download any other updates. There was one possible exception. Somehow I found a webpage indicating that there was a firmware update for my camera. But it wasn't applicable to Windows 7 nor to 64-bit operating systems. So it wasn't useful in my case.

Meanwhile, now that I had connected the cable, a light on the camera was flashing green. The manual said this meant it was charging, and it would require 2.5 hours to charge a fully exhausted battery, and then the light would turn off.

Other than that, I didn't go through the manual in detail at this point. There was too much to learn. Some of it was familiar from my previous camera; some was not. It seemed more efficient to check back as I came up against specific questions.

After charging the camera, I took some photos. Excellent quality. My previous camera was slow -- I would take a picture and then have to wait a couple of seconds before it was done saving it. That was not an issue here. (The SDHC card was the same one as in the previous camera.) It saved the photos within, I think, less than a second.

That was as far as I got at this point. So far, I really like this little camera.

Update, Dec. 1, 2013. This camera has been good for me for 11 months now. I wish it were easier to hold and use one-handed; sometimes I use it to take pictures of items indoors without a flash, and am holding a light in the other hand. Also, for some reason, it is not transferring via cable; I have to pop out the memory card and put it into the computer each time I want to transfer pictures. Not sure if that's a camera issue or a computer issue. There are also times when I think it could do a better job of identifying the object of attention, in medium to low-light conditions, so as to bump up its shutter speed and avoid blurring. Still glad I bought it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sleek look, bad performance, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S3300 16 MP Digital Camera with 6x Zoom NIKKOR Glass Lens and 2.7-inch LCD (Pink) (Electronics)
The camera looks sleek and nice, but performance is terrible. Very, very, very, very slow in capturing the picture when you push the button. You have to be really still to get a decent quality picture. Not impressed with such a product from Nikon. Returned it back to Amazon within a week. Easy process to return to Amazon and quick refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad camera and Nikon has the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER, April 21, 2013
DO NOT BUY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If someone gives you one as a gift, exchange it before you're even tempted to open the box.

The camera is slow and takes lousy pictures. The screen is horrible. The video is incredibly grainy at any resolution. It is the worst handling camera that I've ever used. It's actually pretty surprising how poorly this thing fits in your hands. It's so awkward to hold that your hands almost always interfere with the camera's operation. Nikon uses a proprietary USB cable for this camera.

All of that is almost forgivable at this price-point. It's a cheap camera and I was not expecting anything more. Had the camera actually worked, I would have given it two and a half or three stars. However my camera was also defective, and (repeatedly) trying to deal with Nikon's "repair" center has convinced me that Nikon is not a company that I want to do business with.

My camera would not recharge its battery. The charging light comes on, but the battery does not charge. I tried a different charger, charging cable and even a different battery. None of this worked of course, because the camera is defective. So we sent the camera to Nikon for warranty repair. They had the camera for about four weeks, and sent it back to me without repairing it. The "repair" slip said that they had fully tested the camera, and found no trouble with it, so they sent it back as is. Obviously the camera still doesn't work.

I called Nikon's repair center number which I found on their website, and explained my situation to their rep. I have experienced some bad customer service, but Nikon really takes the cake. At different points in the conversation, I was told each of the following things:

1. The camera is working fine. The charging light means that it's charging.
2. Charging the camera for more than three hours can damage the battery.
3. The camera is not charging because I used an "un-approved" brand of SDHC card (Transcend) which corrupted the firmware.
4. There are only four "Nikon approved" brands of SD card, and that they can be found in the owner's manual.
5. Removing the SD card has fixed the firmware, and it really is charging now that the Transcend brand SD card is out.
6. Nikon does not replace defective hardware under any circumstances, but I can send the camera back for further "repair."
7. Nikon does not refund defective product under any circumstances, but I can try my luck with the store that I bought the camera at.

Let's take this line by line:
1. I already told the rep that the light comes on, but that it isn't actually charging the battery. It's easy to tell, because the camera won't turn on even after several hours on the charger.
2. This is a blatant lie. Li-Ion batteries require specific circuitry to prevent overcharging. If overcharging ever occurs, it's because the device is defective.
3. This line is packed full of BS. A. SDHC cards are an industry standard. If a device accepts SDHC cards, than it accepts ALL SDHC cards. B. Transcend makes great SDHC cards. This particular card has worked, and continues to work flawlessly in every computer and device that it's ever been connected to (including this lousy camera). C. No SDHC card could affect a camera's firmware. Firmware is loaded at boot time, and is not writable from within the device's OS. Changing firmware requires special software, and should even require very strong encryption keys. If any consumer device's firmware was ever discovered to be writable via the SDHC card any respectable manufacturer would issue a recall. D. IF the firmware actually WAS corrupt, then the repair center would have found and should have fixed that.
4. If there are only four brands of SDHC card that work with Nikon's cameras, then Nikon's cameras are not standards compliant. This alone (if true) would be reason enough not purchase a product, ESPECIALLY one which is meant to capture special moments. Also this should really be printed on the outside of the packaging, since most people buy media at the same time that they buy a new camera.
5. If Nikon has invented a method by which a corrupted firmware can repair itself, then they have achieved a truly monumental feat of technological engineering. I have a VERY hard time believing that they have invented such a game changing technology, and that they chose to introduce it to the world by way of their entry level product.
6. If Nikon were able to repair the camera in the first place, I would be writing a very different review. It took them over four weeks to not repair it when they did nothing at all. How long will they have it if they decide to do SOMETHING???
7. That was the first and only honest thing that the rep said to me. I will never purchase another Nikon product, and I will take every opportunity to explain to my friends and family why I will not and why they should not.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed., June 30, 2012
I got this camera as a birthday present and started using it today. I am highly disappointed. My last two cameras were Canons (A540 and SD1200 IS Powershots) and I'm definitely returning this for another Canon. I tried the different settings to take some macro shots and the resolution was poor in every lighting that I tried. I am highly disappointed. I am an advanced amateur photographer and I take a lot of macro and nature photos. I do not recommend this to anyone interested in taking close-up pictures.

I will admit that the light-weight design and color are awesome! Just isn't helpful if the image quality is terrible.

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD, August 5, 2013
Seriously takes awful pics. I bought this for Europe, as I didn't want an expensive one in case it got stolen, however this was a total and complete waste of money. I ended up locking it back in my suitcase and using my iphone which never fails to take amazing photos. Everything is blurring and you need to stand perfectly still to see a clear pic, its not NEARLY as sharp as the iphone. Good luck if you need to ask someone else to take a pic of you and your friends! It will DEFINITELY turn out blurry.

Better off taking pics with your smart phone. Sorry Nikon, I hate to give a bad review, but a camera's only job is to take good pics, and you failed big time :(

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 17, 2012
I got this camera because I thought it would be better than my fujifilm. Wrong. The picture quality was NOT any better and it was slow at "snapping" pictures. I read the manual front to back to see if I was operating the camera incorrectly but no I was doing it all right and still could not get a good picture. I read the reviews before buying this camera and everyone said how great it was. I was very dissapointed. I'm getting a refund and sticking to my fujifilm. It was a cheap camera but it did a better job.

1.0 out of 5 stars skip it, May 9, 2013
best thing about my purchase was i bought the warrenty, had it 5 months, took some great pic's then the camera started acking bad. fully charged and you could not turn the flash on, 6.3 gigs free space on an 8 gig card, and the camera changed to 4mp g a and you could not get the setting to go back to 16mp, ruined my family photos at the park, so i returned trying a difffrent brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but get a SDHC that can keep up and a second battery, April 17, 2013
Picture quality: Special settings worked amazingly well for fireworks and night shots. Acceptable for dim light. Really blurry if zoomed in and there was ANY kind of movement (you or target) when you took the picture.

Menus: Fairly intuitive menus that take maybe 5-10 second to navigate--most desired commands are maybe 4 drilldowns.

Battery Life: Purchase a second battery. I took about 200-300 pictures per day (I worry about quality after the fact) and one battery would last about 6 hours before I had to switch to the other one. Charging the camera mid-day (mobile charger) did not work at all.

Speed: I did my homework ahead of time. Purchase a good "Class 10" memory card. Class is a good indicator of how long it takes to take/write a picture. My camera was noticeably faster than other's on the trip who had Class 4 and Class 2 cards. Average wait between pictures was about 5 seconds. Longest wait was about 10 seconds for firework shots--would have to push the shutter about 5 seconds BEFORE the actual picture I wanted.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice little camera, January 25, 2013
the fact that it comes with it's own rechargeable battery makes it worth the purchase. it takes fair pictures, and the compact size is handy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 346 | Next ›