5.0 out of 5 stars An Quality Point and Shoot with a Fixed Lens
Published 15 months ago by Peregrine

3.0 out of 5 stars Dust again
It is a very fine camera - fantastic colors and a lot of microcontrast, but Nikons problem arised again: After 12 days a dust particle ruined more or less the pictures, and I had to send it back, sorry to say.

And it was not just in small apertures, also f. 4.and f. 5.6 it showed up, and I was very carefully with it, so it is not that.

Now they have...
Published 18 days ago by SK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Quality Point and Shoot with a Fixed Lens, April 22, 2013
Peregrine (Carson City, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX A 16.2 MP Digital Camera with 28mm f/2.8 Lens (Black) (Electronics)
Bottom Line Up Front: Exceptional images, tack sharp and great color. Quick focus. Quality build, feels good in the hands and handles well. All the essential settings and knobs are accessible. Highly recommend if your shooting style is compatible working with a fixed wide angle lens (28mm full frame equivalent). Light, small and unobtrusive. Discrete, not intimidating and doesn't scream "professional." An excellent carry around camera and back up to a full DSLR. Seems a bit pricey, but you're getting what you pay for - high quality images. Great for street scenes and environmental portraiture. I consider the 28mm equivalent lens a bit too wide for tight head shots, but have used it with success in a pinch. I'm a professional documentary photographer and a pro DSLR mounted with a prime 35mm or 85mm is my primary tool of choice; however, there are times when whipping out a large intimidating professional camera wouldn't be appropriate - enter the Coolpix A. I've been looking for a compact carry-around camera that will produce high quality images and this little Nikon fills the bill. I've been shooting the camera extensively for about a month now and have been very pleased with the camera's performance and the images that it's produced. Ensure that shooting with a fixed wide angle lens (28mm FX equivalent) suits your style. If so, then this camera is definitely worth considering. If you want a mirrorless camera that can change lenses or zoom, then look elsewhere. If you are looking for a compact, robust, rugged wide angle fixed lens camera that produces excellent images, the Coolpix A may be for you. Would definitely recommend seriously looking as this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera, July 19, 2013
My primary camera is a Nikon D700. I own several lenses for the D700 but find that my 50mm 1.4G lens stays on it most of the time. I do all of my serious photography with the D700 but there are definitely times when I don't want to haul a heavy camera with me. I've been waiting for a small, compact camera from Nikon I can take along for those occasions (vacations, parties, etc).

Needless to say, I was excited by the introduction of the Nikon Coolpix A. I bought one and have been shooting steady with it for the last three weeks. The camera definitely delivers on the two things I was looking for - small size with outstanding pictures. Some people find the 28mm lens limiting but I'm accustomed to doing most of my shooting with a prime so it's no problem for me. I can shoot the camera in program when I just want snapshots for a casual event. I can also exert complete control when I want to do some serious shooting. The camera performs flawlessly either way.

The only real limitation for me was the lack of a built-in viewfinder. I purchased the accessory viewfinder for the camera but wasn't too happy about spending so much money just to have a viewfinder. If you're cooking for a high quality camera that's compact but delivers great pictures, I suggest you take a look at the Coolpix A.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME CAMERA, September 13, 2013
First off, the build quality of this camera is solid. I love the simplicity of the design. Where I live, dslr's scream pro. This camera gives me amazing sharp pictures without the attention of a dslr. I recently went on a family trip to Washington DC. I set the camera to Aperture Priority mode at f5.6 and shot all day for 5 days. When I presented my pictures on my 50" panasonic plasma for the family, everyone was impressed with the clarity and transparency of the pictures. One of my favorite features of the camera is exposure compensation and watching the effects in live view. I get perfect exposures no matter how bright or dark it is. As a side note, I also own a D600 and love it. However, I have not invested in a wide quality lens for it yet. I plan too. Anyways, the pictures I get from my coolpix a blows my current 24-85 vr lens on my d600 out the water. Lastly, the focus is not blazingly fast. However, for what I plan to use the coolpix a for, which is mostly travel and street shooting, its very good. I never felt like I missed a moment because the focus was too slow. The coolpix a is awesome in my opinion. Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic camera! Nikon SLR quality, June 9, 2013
Alison H. Rich (the beautiful Bronx, NY) - See all my reviews
I've owned numerous Nikon SLR bodies over many years. I have a trove of beautiful Nikon lenses that I treasure. I traveled to the Netherlands in April-May and decided one of my SLRs would just be too heavy. I splurged on the Coolpix A.

The camera is unbelievable. Please note, it is a fixed focal length lens, but the optics are fantastic. The many diverse options and controls suit me perfectly. Most are consistent with the higher end SLRs with the addition of some very intelligent and useful ones. There is, for instance a quite serviceable close-up feature.

I have to add one unanticipated characterisic. I was in an accident in Amsterdam; hit by a tram. I suffered some broken bones, etc., but am recovering well. The camera was in my vest pocket and received the full impact. Some metal was sheared off the lens casing, but the camera is perfectly sound and fully functional. All I can say is "wow, and kudos to you, Nikon."

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome power in the palm of your hand, June 20, 2013
My regular DSLR is the Nikon D4. Am always on the lookout for a pocket camera that I can have in my purse to take pictures of the unexpected and to snap casual pics at parties etc. Am usually diappointed in the quality of lesser cameras. I dropped and broke my Fujix100 right before leaving on a trip, so I picked this up on a lark to try as my replacement pocket camera. I was blown away by the quality of the pictures you can get with this camera. I just love it and recommend it to anyone. Plus, if you already shoot Nikon, the menus layout will be competely intuitive. Does it have flaws -- sure every smaller camera does. But the file quaility makes up for any other issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Didn't Know I Needed, October 1, 2013
Koytch (Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
I've had a variety of compacts in addition to my DSLRs. But I was always disappointed overall with the compact cameras since I was always comparing to my DSLRs. Not saying they weren't well made, decent compacts, but I wanted good noise handling, high ISO capability, good resolution, sharp photos, and something small to carry around when I didn't want to take the DSLR. The CoolPix A fit that.

The best thing was that the Coolpix A has a good APS sensor, but I wasn't sure about having a fixed wide angle lens. Then I started looking at the images taken with it, the capability of the camera itself, the size, the quality, etc, and that fixed lenses can perform better than its zoom counterpart. Well, this Coolpix A lens is perfect. Good sharpness and performance coupled with a camera that produces great colors along with a DSLR sensor that allows me to have the flexibility I wanted.

Did I think I'd go for a fixed lens, no. Am I glad I have it now, yes. The size and build of the A is great, I take it with me all the time. And when I load the images up against my DSLR photos, I don't have to feel I was using a lesser camera just for convenience sake. I got exactly what I didn't know I needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Coolpix 'A' Fixed Lens (28 mm effective) APS-C Pocket Camera review by Dale (update 14.6.14), March 23, 2013
Dale Thorn (Seal Beach CA) - See all my reviews
The Coolpix A is small enough at 4.5 x 2.6 x 1.6 inches to fit into a closed zippered pouch that fits into an average shirt pocket, yet has a level of image quality that no other pocket camera can approach. I've shot a few samples that potential buyers can find on my website by searching my name. One of those, the bridge in rain and fog at ISO 400, has detail I've never seen in this kind of low-contrast image before. Since the Coolpix 'A' has a fixed 28mm effective focal length lens, it's most suitable for images where no zoom is required, or only moderate cropping would be necessary. This would be landscapes, group people photos, architecture and so on. The macro setting allows shooting no closer than ~4 inches, so the Coolpix 'A' would not be ideal for photographing small insects and similar sized objects.

Manual focus with the focus ring surrounding the lens is actually a manually-assisted electronic focus, which may obtain the same end result as a completely manual focus, but I wouldn't assume that the focusing distance it represents in one situation would hold true when the camera is moved and pointed at another subject, unless checking the meter on the screen confirms the proper distance. Focusing manually via the screen image is difficult or impossible without magnifying the image quite a bit, but then you would need to un-magnify to recompose, and that's a hassle. I would like to see a magnified partial frame superimposed on the screen while focusing so that recomposing is unnecessary. Perhaps there's a way to do that now that I haven't discovered.

I shoot most of my photos in bursts using the 'Continuous' option, which is a good way to increase the likelihood of getting sharp images when shooting handheld without a support. Since the Coolpix 'A' does not have vibration reduction, but produces highly detailed images, the slightest camera shaking in the hand could cause smearing of details in the photos. The downside of this kind of redundant burst shooting is having to compare multiple images on the computer at 100 percent view to find the sharpest image in the group. The Coolpix 'A's sensor type is 'APS-C', which is so large for this camera size that it required two major developments by Nikon: One, a special lens with a fixed effective focal length of 28mm, and the other a series of "microlenses" around the sensor to reduce distortions caused by having the camera's main lens so close to the large sensor.

The above developments are not new technology per se, but in making the smallest 'APS-C' camera to date, Nikon had to bend light to a greater degree than anyone else while insuring an undistorted final image. The Coolpix 'A' came with a neck strap only, which is odd given the design for a very small camera body. Since I had several wrist straps on hand, I skipped the neck strap and attached a wrist strap instead. There are lugs on either side of the camera, and strap rings are attached to those, so I removed the plastic protectors on the rings and then removed the rings, then attached the wrist strap to the lug on the right side. If someone wanted to carry the Coolpix 'A' in a pocket, and since dust can work its way into the camera and ruin the sensor, I recommend a small zippered bag like the Coach 'Clutch' series. Mine is 6.5 x 4 inches and fits the camera easily. For carrying on a shoulder, I use the Leica '18727' case, which is a perfect fit with a very classy appearance.

I don't have much to say about camera settings, since they're different in some ways than what I'm used to. Reading the manual is very important, at least to get the settings right. I shoot JPEG (.JPG) only, and I changed the default image quality from normal to 'Fine'. I haven't figured out the ISO settings yet - I'm used to setting 'Auto ISO' for most shooting, but with the Coolpix 'A' in 'P' (Program) mode, I had to select a specific ISO, and I chose ISO 400. This works well for what I do, but it would be better if I could select 'Auto ISO' with a maximum limit of 400 or 800 as some other cameras allow. Maybe what I'm seeing here is Nikon's way of saying that 'Auto ISO' belongs only with 'Auto' dial modes and not P/A/S/M. The Coolpix 'A' is a very high quality and expensive camera, and I recommend against trying to skimp on batteries or memory cards, which are relatively cheap. Always use a genuine Nikon battery, and choose a name brand memory card with a good speed rating, with 16 gb or greater capacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality - compact and efficient, July 22, 2014
I purchased both this camera and a Fuji X100 as both were highly recommended and though different in concept both provided a high end, fixed focus camera with a DX sensor. After over six months of using both I kept the Nikon and sold the Fuji. This had become my go to camera. I still wish it had a viewfinder and that on the Fuji was spectacular. The Nikon has a 28mm lens as opposed to the Fuji's 35mm (equivalents). The Fuji is one f. stop faster at f2. The flesh tones on the Fuji were better. However the Nikon was the camera I wanted to use most. The color is excellent. I use the lens shade and filter adapter most of the time. I also did so on the Fuji. Having sold the Fuji I do not miss it and continue to use the Nikon on trips everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Portable Camera, June 14, 2013
I LOVE this camera. I was looking for a camera which produces great images and compact. My DSLRs are great, but I tend to leave them on my bookshelf and snap everyday pictures with my iphone. Once in awhile, would kick myself for not having a DSLR camera with me. Now, this one is with me everyday..

I do agree with the reviews out there about slow focusing on low light. But there's not a camera that's perfect for everything. One just have to pick the one that best suits one's need.

About wifi and GPS, all these extra features will add weight to the camera. For me, if there's a picture I know I want to share with my friend on FB, I would snap an extra using my iphone.

Can't wait to take this camera on my next overseas trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars So very sharp and so many features., July 30, 2013
John R. Aldridge (BoulderJunctionWI) - See all my reviews
This camera has a large number of features - special settings, P, S, A modes and complete manual. you can even correct perspective in its editing menu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›