Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Tikes

on October 13, 2012
After wrestling with my new Nikon D-7000 for a year and not being able to get the kind of pics I wanted, I sold it and started looking for a more user friendly digital camera. Right after saying goodbye to the D-7000, I got an ad in the mail for a bunch of Nikon cameras and sat down and did some reviews on some of them. The L-810 looked interesting, tho it had only been out a few months, it nearly matched the D-7000 in mega pixels, 16.1 vs 16.2! I read the available reviews on it and was pleased to see that the vast majority of buyers were very pleased with it, only the people who got a dud camera didn't like it. After buying it and learning how to use it,(easy),I found out it was the best camera I've ever used, and liked it SO MUCH, I bought 2 more for 2 brothers and talked a third into buying one. Nikon and Amazon should be happy with our family as all 4 of us have the same camera and I'm happy to report we were able to get EXCELLENT pictures of the moon for the first time ever. I'm not a pro photographer but I have been on local NBC TV 41 times in a 3 1/2 year period with the "weather picture of the day" so I'm not a novice either. I do believe some of the reviewers who said pro photographers were jealous of some pics from this L-810, if you are serious about picture taking without having a Phd., get one of these cameras, learn how to use it and you can't go wrong, whether you get it from Amazon or not. Try this camera in very low light conditions without a flash and you will be amazed! Erik M.
on October 6, 2012
On the plus side:

- This camera gives you the opportunity for shots you can't get with other cameras that have lower zoom factors and image resolution.

- Has on-board memory that permits shot taking w/o an SD card

- Comes with a grown-up camera strap, not some puny cord that dangles it off your wrist

On the minus side:

- Camera size requires full sized camera strap.

- No viewfinder. Display can be hard to see in bright sun or glare.

- This camera lacks many controls features of many cameras in same price range: External mode selector, direct aperture or shutter speed control, or manual focus.

- Camera does not auto-detect its orientation and rotate the picture when you hold the camera in portrait position.

This camera would disappoint any photographer they thought they'd be working with a real Nikon and not Nikon Lite. As a point-and-shoot camera, the L810 employs specialized technologies like face recognition, wink-activated shutter, and BSS (Best Shot Selection) to do the work of getting a decent exposure. These technologies give you a decent exposure, but sometimes with less than fine image quality.

Many of those features are designed around the idea that people will be in most of your pictures. When it's in the EasyAuto mode, its go to settings are those of the Smart Portrait mode. Although it doesn't rotate pictures based on the way you hold the camera, it will rotate the picture to align it with any face it detects.

Other reviews have recommended reading the manual to get best use of this camera. I second that. For example It's not likely you'd notice that setting the ISO number in the Auto (NOT Easy Auto) mode turns off anti-shake feature. This will give you better image quality in lower light settings where you're using a tripod, but the only way you'd know about this, and other special modes, would be by reading the manual.

One of the bits of advice you get from manual is to take another picture. This has worked for me. Most of the time if auto-focus has selected the wrong subject, trying another shot has produced better results

With batteries, this camera weighs in at just under a pound. After adding in a camera case and a spare set of batteries, its size and weight are more than I'm willing to carry with me every day.

The L810 has individual buttons for each of the three modes: still shots, video, and viewing. They are easy to reach, but have enough separation to avoid hitting the wrong one. Despite some practice, I still don't have the hang of working the video button so that I'm recording when I want to be recording, and only then.

Internal memory supports a decent amount of on-camera editing. For example, you can crop and resize pictures, but some testing I did showed that the camera reprocesses the new image to create it in a standard size. I don't know know much this reprocessing, done even for a simple crop, effects image quality, but I feel more comfortable doing this with desktop software.

The L810 display shows you when the camera is operating in optical zoom range, and when it has switched to digital zoom. I've found it easy to work with. The optical/digital switching mechanism has an unusual feature: selecting a lower image resolution extends the range of the optical zoom.

The L810's telephoto performance and high megapixel rating extend the range of pictures you can show without having to point out and explain "Right there is a bird that was . . ." But, as with every camera, the most important lens for taking good pictures is the one in your eye.
on May 8, 2012
I just received this camera and am wonderfully surprised. Wanted a better camera without having photography knowledge. This camera is awesome just using it in the auto mode. I am so pleased with the functions and the results. I can't wait to continue using it. Wish I would have known it came with a strap, I wouldn't have bought one.
on May 26, 2012
The camera is wonderful for the price. The zoom is amazing and works very well with still subjects in high light. It gets a little grainy with moving subjects in lower lights (ex. zoo)... I am very pleased with the camera and can't wait to take in on vacation!
on July 8, 2012
I got this camera back in April and one of the first things I was impressed with were the photos of flowers using the macro mode. I was amazed by the detail and clarity of the pictures and since I have had a few different brands of cameras this is the best I have had with that capacity. I have had Kodak and Fuji and they are good cameras but this has had the best in that category. I had to get used to just having a viewfinder but it hasn't been a deal breaker. I also have had the blurry picture and the main reason for this is because of my own user error. I am still figuring out exactly how to navigate the scene modes to determine what is best for different situations. My husband said that's what the manual is for. Well yes, I know that, but this is the first time I have had to play around like this. Do I mind? Heck no as I love photography and I think the camera is a good one that I have to still experiment with. I like the two zoom buttons to use and the video button and so this has been a great camera and I have gotten really good pictures. Am I still expermenting? Yes I am and I am enjoying it because it gives me the ability to consider the lighting and the mode that might be needed and from various reviews I am also looking at other options to consider. I love this camera and I think it is worth the time and the money to get these kinds of pictures.
on July 18, 2012
I use my new camera for work (print advertising business) and it does an excellent job out on location. I have used it for studio shots as well as portraits and action shots. I bought this in June 2012 after a long search for features and value of numerous cameras. My first shots with the L810 have now printed in our magazine and they look great. I'm sure that's the 16 MP resolution quality coming through. It is easy to use and has a lot of settings. I was amazed at the resolution and quality of the pictures in low light with the flash off.
This is my second Nikon camera and I debated buying a more expensive body only model so I could use the lenses I already owned. But I was looking for something fast and easy and this fit my needs without time consuming lens changes or need for a big bag to carry them in. The 26x Zoom is very good and is quick to auto focus when panning in and out. Uploading to computer is easy after quick software install. 3 inch screen is very clear and makes it simple to do a fast review of the picture I just took and make adjustments for next shot without having to wait until I load to computer and possibly need to go back for a re-shoot.
I didn't buy this for the video mode since I work for a print magazine but my initial trial with video is very good. I only wish I'd waited a couple of days because Amazon dropped the price $20 just after my order date but that's just my bad luck and makes it an even better deal for others. I still can't believe you get Nikon quality and all of these features for 200 bucks.
on October 1, 2012
The zoom capability of this camera is what sold me on this camera. The macro and zoom are unbelievable. It has a lot of nice features for a point and shoot camera. However, my enthusiasm dropped when I reviewed the images on a computer screen at 1:1. The images are highly pixelated. When the camera is zoomed to the max, image quality really suffers. I do not believe you could get a decent enlargement from a fully zoomed shot.

I purchased this camera to replace my old CoolPix P5000 (10 MP). Granted the P5000 doesn't have nearly the zoom capability as the L810 but I think the picture quality is better on the old model.

Prior to purchasing this camera, I suggest you take a series of shots from wide angle to full zoom and review the images on a good monitor at 1:1. If you can live with the quality, then the camera has a lot of features you will probably enjoy. For me, the image quality is more important than the bells and whistles so it gets a low rating.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2013
I have been shooting my Nikon d40x for around seven years now and decided that I missed the convenience of a more portable camera and many digitals these days can out zoom my 300mm lens so I thought I'd look into one. First off, bridge style camera was just a poor choice for me because if I have that size and weight I might as well lug around my dslr and bag, but I decided to stick it for the impressive zoom.

I saw that the 4 and 5 star reviews far outweighed the other marks, so I figured that you can't make everyone happy and only read a few of them. After having it for quite some time and testing it a few times (too late unfortunately) I went back and read some more negative reviews and ALL of my complaints with this product are there.

For indoor pictures in general you will likely want a different camera. Even at wide angle I get blurring from essentially any movement. The zoom has some distance to it, but lacks sufficient stabilization to utilize it's zoom range. Even when using my tripod in an indoor setting full length zoom wasn't crisp. It could be because as you go into telephoto range it simply WON'T LET YOU FOCUS AT ALL. The focusing is at a snail's pace, so it's not very competent for candids.

Now I will give it a few good marks. It uses AA batteries and for some people that is preferred. I've become a huge fan of battery packs, but I decided that I could suck it up. Also, after being largely disappointed with the zoom, the primary reason for which I purchased this camera, I was surprised at the quality of some of the macro shots, EVEN in an indoor setting.

If you're looking for range, this camera might be a viable solution for you if you plan to always use it outdoors and with a tripod on things that do not move whatsoever. Unfortunately it doesn't do any of the things that I had in mind when I bought it so perhaps I'm being a little harsh and it deserves a two stars instead of the one that I'm giving it.

EDIT: I have now used this a bit outside and with lots of sun the picture quality is impressive. I still haven't taken well-lit outdoor action photos, or extended to max zoom with a tripod out in the sun, but I just wanted to reassure that this camera does have its perks, though still largely not what I, personally, was looking for.
on June 26, 2012
After reading the reviews here - it definitely seems like some user error when taking pictures with the camera. As with most common point and shoots, the shoot button requires a half-depress in order to auto focus the shot. And if you're not holding the camera steady, don't expect a clear picture.

Too many people are zooming in to 26x, taking a free standing picture, then complaining about blurriness.

Half depress for focus, extremely steady hold, and smooth full depress has produced some of the best images I've seen from a point and shoot (although it's not exactly point-and-shoot).
on July 21, 2012
Before buying the camera, I looked at previous reviews. While most were positive, one explained that pictures would come out unfocused when shooting rapidly. I can confirm that this is the case. You either miss the action by going through the recommended procedure or your pictures will be out of focus. Shame, the camera has many other positive attributes.