Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on October 14, 2012
I have both the white and chrome versions of this teeny-tiny camera. I didn't expect much in terms of image quality, but was very pleasantly surprised at how good the photographs are. It also shoots stabilized 720p high-definition video that looks very good as well! It uses a high quality touch-screen to perform most of the menu selections, but once in shooting mode, the camera makes most of the decisions for you - just frame and shoot to your heart's content.
This camera has a built-in non-removable battery, as well as 8GB of built-in non-removable memory. The upside is that you do not need to purchase a separate memory card - this thing is ready to go straight out of the box. The build is very solid for such a tiny camera - it is the smallest camera Nikon has ever made. There is just a single tiny door with a micro-USB port under it on the bottom of the camera that is used to both charge the camera (Nikon includes a wall charger, but you can charge it by plugging it into your computer as well) as well as transfer pictures to your computer. My computer recognized the camera straight away (windows 7) and transferring images was a snap.
I HIGHLY recommend this camera for someone like me who wants something teeny-tiny that they can carry around everywhere that also produces reasonable quality images and video.

**UPDATE - November 3rd ***
A couple of weeks later and I am still thoroughly enjoying this little thing! I think the main thing to bear in mind is that the reason you are buying this camera is because it is TINY and you can have it with you absolutely everywhere. Nikon obviously had to make trade-offs when making something this small - the main one for me is focusing speed - it is a little slow to gain focus - so you have to bear that in mind. Picture quality is EXCELLENT for such a teeny-tiny camera - as well as video.

TIP - as one or two other people have commented, turn off the "touch shutter" function - stabbing the screen with your finger to take a photo will almost certainly produce more blurry photos than just using the shutter button :-)

I am more than happy with this purchase - it definitely meets its intended purpose - something absolutely TINY that you can take with you everywhere and grab some pretty good pictures and video.
66 comments313 of 326 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2012
Ask any photographer and they will tell you that the first rule of photography is having the camera with you. This camera is very small, light weight,and really easy to pocket. Also limited menu options means that there is no learning curve. Downside is a weak flash which frankly is pretty useless (unless you get within 3 feet of your subject), and poor depth of field which limits sharpness on those landscape shots. These negatives aside, I just took it for a weeks vacation to New Mexico, and was pleasantly surprised by picture quality. Since the camera is pretty much a point and shoot automatic, you find yourself concentrating on framing the picture which in many respects helps produce better shots. It also has exposure compensation which is helpful in both low and bright light. I certainly think this camera is a better option than the camera on my smart phone. The touch screen works, but to limit camera shake I suggest using the shutter. All and all I would recommend.
0Comment150 of 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2012
I bought this little camera for both myself and my sister. It's fast to start up, and so simple. I own another Nikon and this little camera takes less time from on to taking a photo. Took a photo of my indoors Christmas lights with no flash and no additional lighting and the photo came out fantastic. Deleting is so simple, just press on the photo and the delete/favorite screen comes up. Love, love, LOVE it's simplicity. Don't have to concern myself with settings, it's automatic, even the flash. Being able to take photos by either touching the screen or shutter button is a plus. Basically, right out of the box and I was taking photos.
0Comment28 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2012
bought this camera 3 days ago and love it !! so easy to use and the size is perfect . I bought mine to take with me to vegas and not be lugging around my nikon s8200 ,taking pictures is a snap and the quality isnt half bad for what the camera has to offer .
11 comment47 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
I debated a bit before I bought this little jewel. After all, there were quite a few 'unflattering' reviews to read. But, in the end, I decided to give the Nikon S01 a try myself. I couldn't be happier! I've not left the house without my S01 in my pocket, and have yet to be the least bit disappointed in the images I've captured. I read several peoples complaints about slow shutter speed and blurry images, but can honestly say that I've not experienced any of those issues. Instead, I've found the S01 the perfect partner for my Nikon D90, always handy for the quick shot and excellent for quick videos. I would recommend that folks make use of the button rather that the touch-screen shutter release (and believe the latter may be the reason for some of the blurry photo comments). Overall, I love it!
on November 30, 2012
This review is more about how disappointed I was that the S01 doesn't directly connect to the iPad using the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A). I did however (via YouTube) find you can get it to work by adding a 4 port usb adapter. It's not the sleek flawless set up I was hoping for seeing as how this camera will be a gift for my mother who has technical difficulties. On this detail I wanted to give the camera 1 star but I don't think that would acurately describe the camera itself.

As far as the actual camera. I like it for my 70 year old mother with its simple buttons and basic options. I think she will be excited about the size being able to stash it easily in her hand bag. It seems to struggle a big in low light and may be slow for fast action but for what it is I am very happy with the few experimental pictures I have taken.

This review may be pre mature but the main motivation was to warn holiday shoppers who are planning to use the S01 with an iPad that there will be some snags.
66 comments21 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2013
Lets start out with what Nikon has done right:

The physical design and build quality of this camera are both good. It's very cute, easily pocketable and the physical buttons are responsive. Alas, that's where the good news ends.

Over the past 8 or 9 years I've bought 15 cameras ranging from point and shoots to a mid range SLR. Every single one of those cameras, including a 2 megapixel fixed lens Fuji has had better image quality than the S01. More damning, my Galaxy Nexus has equal or slightly better IQ.

This camera has a very poor sensor that takes terrible pictures in low light and bad to middling in good. Nikon needs to replace this with a CMOS sensor.

The touch screen is poor and unresposive. Often even hard presses do not register.

In camera options are minimal.

This camera is slow. Slow to focus, slow to take a shot, slow to change modes. Everything is slow. You'll press a virtual button and then wait a second or longer for a result.

If you have a smartphone with a halfway decent camera this device becomes redundant. I was hoping for more and Canon's upcoming N2 might deliver that (for a higher price). This is a toy more than a camera and a fair price for the results would be $60 or under.
22 comments38 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I bought Nikon S01 because I couldn't resist it! It's a very small and cute camera, with the respectability of Nikon brand name!
It takes pretty good pictures for its size. I cannot say that it is an outstanding camera by any measure of imagination. But takes nice pictures and is a good conversation starter, too. I have several cameras including Nikon, Canon, and Olympus, but I think this little one is going to be in my pocket when I travel. it's really a handy camera to take pretty decent pictures.
11 comment29 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2013
I saw this camera in a store and couldn't believe how tiny it was! The pictures it takes are really great! I bought it immediately. There's no removeable SD card or battery, which makes it real easy to maintain. Uploading to your computer is simple. This camera is great for scenery, sunsets, but you need to be up-close when taking pictures of people. The built-in flash works okay, but it doesn't not have a lot of "throw" so you need to be very close to your subject for the best quality. That's the good news. Now for the bad:

I brought this new camera to Mexico for a two-week vacation over Christmas 2012 and everything was working great, until a day or two before I was to return. I plugged the cable in to upload some pix to my laptop and the S01 sounded 3 beeps and showed a red exclamation point in a circle, like this: (!), and there was a red, horizontal line 3/4 of the way up the screen. I couldn't upload anything, couldn't take a picture, and couldn't see any of the pix that I had taken! Turning it off & on still produced the 3 beeps and red line. Even though I could access the menu items, I couldn't get the S01 to take a picture or view the pix I had taken! I checked Nikon's website and there wasn't any troubleshooting that had this issue listed. I called Nikon and the tech I spoke with never heard of this issue and wasn't even that familiar with this camera! I contacted the store I bought it from (Samy's), and they were great and said for me to bring it back to exchange it. I thought that this specific S01 may be a lemon. I turned it on again, and it wanted me to format the card, which I knew would result in losing all my pix, which I wasn't ready to try...yet. I tried a reset, but that didn't do anything to fix it. I then got so frustrated that I did format the card, received a prompt asking that I wanted to do it, but never received a confirmation that the card was formatted. I didn't use the camera again and the day I was going to bring it back, I turned it on and it was working and all the pix I took were there! I immediately tried uploading them, which at first didn't work, but on subsequent tries, did. Once I uploaded all the pix, I decided I was going to exchange it at the store. One of the salespeople there said she had a customer the other day with the same issue, exchanged the bad S01 for a new one, and the customer brought the new one back two days later because it was doing the same thing! So, this is obviously a major issue with this camera but so far, Nikon isn't letting on that they're aware of this issue! I need to be able to trust the camera I'm using, and at this point, the S01 is not a camera I can trust!

I really want to love this camera. I gave it 3 stars because when this camera works, it's wonderful, but until Nikon acknowledges and fixes this issue, Buyer beware!!
99 comments32 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2013
I have a Nikon 7000 and a D300, with lots of lenses and a high dollar flash. When I shoot a wedding or am in a great place to take photographs, I take one or both of them. For the rest of the time, I have this tiny 10 mp camera with me. It's so light you don't even notice it in a jacket pocket. This takes good videos as well. Could the zoom be longer? Sure. Would I have liked to be able to add a SD card? Sure. But the memory included is acceptable, allowing for ....well, I haven't filled it up yet. This camera is well built and ready to take on your 'daily' adventures. You'll be surprised how much out there is photo worthy. And Note: This is superior to any phone camera, and I've never been happy with my ipad camera. Pick one up, you'll love it.