4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, could use some updates.
Published on April 10, 2012 by Rcubed

2.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Guy finds S9300 mediocre and over priced
I'm sure I either have a bad copy...or some of the reviewing users here haven't put it through it's paces.

My problems:

1. S9300 will not lock focus when zoomed at or near it's maximum.
Published on May 6, 2012 by Ed911

2.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Guy finds S9300 mediocre and over priced, May 6, 2012

My problems:

1. S9300 will not lock focus when zoomed at or near it's maximum.
2. Selecting one of the Auto ISO ranges...125-800 ISO causes the camera to select very low shutter speeds, so that even with vibration reduction, if you are shooting people, the imgages are soft...appearing OOF...out of focus. (Unacceptable for this price range.)
3. The facial recognition feature, if used on anything but faces...will most often select something other than what you want to focus on...and since this is a menu driven feature, if you're switching between sceens, like at a birthday party, it's a pain to use.
4. Generally speaking, the images leave a lot to be desired across the board. And, this is the general consensus of online reviews...rating the camera a "C" as very average. I have to agree.
5. Portrait mode is way too cool...and there is no way to adjust the color temp in any mode except Auto. Or from the menu when in Auto...again, for the price, this is unacceptable.
6. And this is a biggie...I have lost confidence in the camera's ability to capture the shots that I want.

I tried to like it...I shot over 200 images...and very few were keepers. I had a Canon Elf S600...and it took better images than this model...and the Canon S600 is 4 years old.

I have called Nikon and asked for an RMA and am returning S9300 for a refund. Bottom line, for $349.00, this camera is a poor to average performer...yeilding good to mediocre images.

I don't disagree that if you are outside in bright light that it takes pretty good images...but, still not up to my expectations for the price tag.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this camera to friends or anyone else.

Like I said in my opening statement...I may have a bad copy. These are just my findings on the copy that I received...

Not a happy camper here...

UPDATE: Going on vacation soon and wanted a better point and shoot. Purchased the Nikon P7700 compact point and shoot. I am thrilled to say that this is more like what I was looking for when I bought the S9300. There are lots of external controls...more is better...such as a thumb wheel to adjust your exposure on the fly...way cool.

Image quality is first rate at this price point($399.00.) It is bigger than the S9300 and doesn't have the zoom range...but it does zoom optically to the equivalent of 200mm. Nice.

Just check out the P7700 here at Amazon...you won't be sorry.

I see Nikon has yanked the S9300 and replaced it with an S9500...so, reviews weren't wrong...to bad for current S9300 owners. I wonder if Nikon will be offering a discount on the new S9500, if you send in your S9300.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, could use some updates., April 10, 2012
Bought this camera since i lost my canon powershot sd900. I only buy canon products but since nikon has been advertising the heck out of their products i thought i give it a chance. Overall this camera takes awesome photos. The in camera features are great as well. My only problem is that in order to review your photos you have to turn on the camera you just can't press the review button. When you do take a photo it takes forever for the preview to disappear. You can either have it on or off. With canon it gave you the option of 1,2 or 3 second preview. The last thing is that the flash is in an awkward place but as i was looking at the canon website every company is going to that format. I would recommend this camera to someone though.

Rcubed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Nikon, April 19, 2012
Being a happy user of Nikon dSLR's and also my camera of choice for most stuff, there are still certain benefits in a good compact. My last compact being an olympus, which was a very disappointing experience. All the nikons I have owned in the past have always had a good build quality so that's what swung it for this one. When I purchased this camera it was brand new to the market so there was limited reviews but mostly positive. The Lumix zs20 nearly got my money as it is also a fantastic compact with similar spec but i'm a sucker for the nikon brand so I took the plunge. First impressions were that it is smaller then I expected, which is a good thing to me as that is the point of a compact right. The build quality seems good as do the ergonomics. Have taken a few hundred shots with it and am very impressed. Low light shots are particularly good with very low noise. The 18 x zoom is silent, quick and very smooth with decent optics, my only complaint being that at the maximum reaches and the camera being so small it is hard to hold steady enough for a sharp image but that is probably the issue on any small camera with a long lens. Great glove box or travel camera that can be recharged from anything with a USB. Very pleased with it so far.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy, April 9, 2012
I bought this camera to use as a point and shoot camera when I didn't want to carry my SLR. Given that I have been so happy with my Nikon DSLR purchase, I thought I would by happy with this purchase. The design of the camera is terrible and the flash is located in a terrible place that is very inconvenient. The biggest problem that I have though is the fact that this camera takes mostly blurry pictures. I would think the idea of a point and shoot is that you can grab it out of your bag and just take a picture. I recently took a trip to colorado and took a bunch of pictures only to find that most of them had awful color balance and were extremely blurry. I really couldn't be more disappointed in my purchase and I am going to try and figure out if I can return it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, super photos, a bit annoying flash, April 14, 2012
So I bought this camera 6 months ago and have used it steadily ever since. I've been a photographer for over 40 years and its a good quality device.
There have been no failures and I've had relatively little trouble learning to use it on the fly. (Although I admit I used the instruction manual once!) I've used the camera in below zero conditions in the snow, backpacking, in low light, in the rain as well as in bright sunlight. It performs excellently in all conditions, giving good crisp and clear photos. Of course, this means that you've actually taken the time to compose the shot ahead of time. No camera will compensate for poor set up. It has never froze, or given me an error message.
As with any new camera there are some things you have to learn to do differently. I've adjusted to the fact that the flash pops up under where I usually put my left index finger and never think about it.
I'd recommend the camera as a good all around camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nikon customer service is terrible, April 30, 2012
I had this camera for 3 months of light use, when the lens mechanism failed and I had to ship it to Nikon for service. It has been on "Parts Hold" for 3 weeks, and any attempt to get more information or request a simple replacement has been impossible. The person you can talk to knows very little and will not forward you to someone with more authority to help. The company seems to care very little about customer satisfaction, and I am worried about the overall quality of this camera based on the early failure of the lens system. Also, why does the Nikon service center have to wait for weeks to get parts from Asia? It seems at least one other reviewer on this site its having the same experience. I doubt that I will ever buy another Nikon product. Oh, by the way, the picture quality is OK. Chris Snyder

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Service Ever...., April 19, 2012
Tom Wilson (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The camera was good for the first two months, but then the lens jammed. I sent it to the Nikon Service center, where it has been for a month waiting for a part. Nikon now tells me they expect the part in 3 more weeks. 7 weeks for a part for a new camera? That makes no sense. I asked to talk to someone about a replacement or some alternative to another month without, but was stonewalled at every turn. This is my last Nikon, that is for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving my new camera!, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S9200 16 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 18x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and Full HD 1080p Video (Black) (Electronics)
I bought the Nikon Coolpix s9200 to replace my Nikon Coolpix P80, which still works perfectly fine, but I want a more portable camera. And since the s9200 was 50% off this Thanksgiving, I bought it.

I really like this camera for a few reasons. It worked well straight out of the box, and better once I read the manual(read your manuals people). I like that it does fit in my pockets(the shorter girl pants pockets, not the deep manly pants pockets. Tho it would fit those also). It will take a burst of shots, which is great when chasing a toddler and trying to get one really good facial expression. I love the 18x optical zoom. I looove a good optical zoom. It also does very well tracking faces, up to nine(so says manual, personally I've seen it focus on 3 faces in the same shot, and they were all in focus at different distances from the camera). I like that I can turn off the option to preview my photos as they are taken(the 2 sec screen freeze before being able to take another picture).

I have used this camera indoors and out, both with plenty of shots I liked. My approach to amateur photography is to take a ton of photos, then go through and pull out the few that were great. 16 megapixels also gives room to go through and crop your pictures later without losing some quality, although I try to frame my shots as I take them.

The flash is in an awkward place, where you want to put your left index finger, which takes some getting used to, but is not worth avoiding the camera.

I would recommend this to everyone I know. I have not found any major negatives.

Please note that the battery charger for this camera plugs into the camera with the battery inside. You can pick up and extra battery and dedicated charger for under ten bucks on amazon(I did).

1.0 out of 5 stars not reliable, July 1, 2012
I bought this in May of 2011. Within 5 days of getting it, the lens failed and I brought it to an authorized Nikon repair person in Warwick, Rhode Island. He determined the lens was defective and was replaced, finally, under warranty. It took about 6 weeks for the replacement parts to come in. Then this spring it stopped working again so I returned to the same shop and this time he says it can't be fixed. He does not sell cameras so his word is believable I think. He has done work before on my DSLR Pentax, so I know he does good work. He says he is always disappointed in the reliability of Nikon point and shoot cameras. He says to buy a Canon SX and I'll be happy and it will never need repair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Auto Focus EVER !, July 23, 2012
J. Kuhr (Littleton, CO) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera specifically for a trip to Scandanavia, read all the instructions and did what I was supposed to. No matter what mode I set the autofocus in I got blurry faces. I tried Autofocus Mode in Single AF and Full Time both. I tried AF area mode on Face Priority, Auto, Center and Subject Tracking. All my pictures with people in them are blurry. Scenery shots are fine.

What a disapointment ! A $350 camera that I ca'nt count on. My daughters $120 Canon takes better pictures without any fuss.

Rate and Discover Movies