5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera!
Published 4 months ago by Glide Floss

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pic Quality - Charging an Issue
I have been using Nikon equipment since 1972 and, until this camera, have been very happy with their products.

The Good:
-Takes excellent very sharp high quality pictures.
-Dim natural light performance is excellent.

The Not So Good:
Published 2 months ago by Barry

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera!, March 8, 2014
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX P340 12.2 MP Wi-Fi CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Zoom NIKKOR Lens and Full HD 1080p Video (Black) (Electronics)
Have had the P340 almost a week now and have shot ~300 shots of all sorts of subject in all sorts of lighting conditions - single bulb lit room, street lamp on a snowy evening, office fluorescent lights, sunny, twilight-y, etc. Basically the general same set of conditions I shot with a Nikon J3 a couple of months ago (I returned the J3, terribly disappointed by the results.)

I wanted a pocket-able camera as dragging around my D7000 or D7100 wasn't always practical. I already have 3 Canon compacts, all of which produce very nice shots in good light. I got the Fujifilm X20 but it was a bit too large for my pockets and my son quickly claimed it for himself.

I was very impressed by the P340 picture quality - sharpness and coloration ... even in less than ideal lighting. The smaller file size make the wifi transfer a speedy affair and at 12mb, crisp images can fill a 42" monitor.

The battery life was also better than I assumed it'd be (dpreview specs had it at 220 shots) ... so with the 2-pack wasabi batteries, running out of juice shouldn't be an issue.

If there's one thing I'd change, it'd be the On/Off button ... which is a bit too small/recessed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little on-the-go camera., March 18, 2014
I've looked around between the Nikon P330, Coolpix A, Sony NEX-5T, NEX-6, and A6000. Basically, I personally found the P340 to be the best value. I bought the P330 two weeks ago and thought that I could save $$ by just buying the P330 & the wifi adapter (WU-1a). I was wrong. The P330 was ok but having a wifi dongle was somewhat of an inconvenience because it's an extra accessory that you have to hang on to and bring everywhere, not to mention trying not to lose it since it's so small.
I had to return the P330 but was stuck between the Coolpix A (imported) and the NEX-5T, which both are around the same price. I like the Coolpix A but aside from the fix(prime lens), you would also need to buy a wifi adapter. Downers.
The NEX-5T was good, but the EVF and dial modes on the NEX-6 was a no brainer. BUT, I found out that the A6000 will be coming out soon, and will have everything the NEX-6 has plus few added features like higher resolution, more focus points, etc. But at the same time, it is about $800. More than what I originally wanted to spend. I mean for just a couple more hundreds i could get a D7100 DSLR.
So I decided that I would opt to just exchange the P330 for the P340. And so far I'm really glad with the decision. Main difference between the two are the built-in WiFi (aside from transferring images, you can also control and take photos using a compatible phone- I use an iphone 5 and didn't have problems connecting, transferring and taking pics using my phone. Another is the control ring, where you can assign it's function from zoom to focus to aperture. And I really like that feature. It adds manual control of the camera.I kinda don't like that when you use it for focusing the image on the display zooms in to the area of focus and then zooms out when you're about to press the shutter, but I can live with that. I also noticed better/faster focusing on the P340 than the P330, as well as better image quality overall than the P330.
This is my first impression so far, with just a few hours of play with the P340. I like the build quality, the user-friendly controls, the color, the simplicity. Cons for the P340 are the relatively slow writing of images, slow menu navigation/processing of changes, double confirmation prior to deleting images (which may be a good thing but I wish I could turn the double confirmation on/off), manual focus with the control ring or the in-camera controls, and relatively low battery life.

Overall, I would still recommend the P340 for those looking for an affordable, quality-built compact camera with built-in wifi, RAW and full manual control,

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome performance for the price., May 10, 2014
I originally owned the P310 which I bought used. It was a good camera that gave me a decent amount of control and since I only paid $150 for the P310 it was really a sweet deal. However once I used the P340 in a local camera shop I was immediately sold!

The P310 and P340 are both made from metal and both feel very lightweight but solid in the hand. But that's were the similarities end. The zoom range on the P340 has been extended the image sensor has increased in size and also its resolution has decreased (lower resolution is better for a smaller sized image sensor as it allows each pixel to gather more light which in turn means sharper and more detailed photo's) So basically its a win win when it comes to the new image sensor. In good lighting this little camera will deliver outstanding clarity and color. In lower lighting this camera will blow away any smart phone on the market. Why? because this camera can actually focus on your subjects in lower light, plus with the ability to fully control all you settings you can take full advantage of that great little image sensor and fast lens. Its not as quick as a DSLR but it gets the job done. It has customizable picture control settings and customizable white balance settings to. The auto white balance setting on this camera is great. Nikon has really perfected it with the P340 of course you can always adjust the White Balance if you shoot RAW.

Edit: I should also add some more info to help you out. For some reason allot of camera reviews seem to forget or not mention some of the features this camera has. For one this camera DOES have focus peaking and it DOES have the option to show a live histogram which is separate from the histogram that can be shown after you take a photo. The P340 also has a picture preview option that will brighten and darken the screen based on the settings you choose, this is in addition the the light meter and live histogram. So you basically can't mess up the exposure since your seeing exactly what it looks like before you take the shot.

Then there is the video mode. WOW is all I have to say. Its great when the lighting is good but when the lighting is very poor the blacks STAY BLACK!!! Usually shadows and dark areas are full of noise when the lighting dims. But for some reason the video on the P340 is really clean in poor lighting its also very smooth to with very little signs of rolling shutter. If you take any road trip video's with the P340 everything is smooth. Allot of cameras today have trouble smoothly recording things like cars passing by at speed or even smoothly recording a video inside the car with the road passing by. But the P340 just seems to record smooth video.

The ISO performance of the P340 blows older DSLR's out of the water!. At ISO 1600 this camera produces clean pictures where as my old Nikon D70 produces ugly looking grain. Push the P340's ISO up to 6400 and guess what, the images are still perfectly usable. Colors stay true but of course some smoothing takes over at very high ISO settings, however those images still look perfectly fine.

So how does the Wifi work? I'm using an LG G2 smartphone to control my P340 via Wifi. You first need to download the "Wireless Mobile Utility" which is a free Nikon app. The P340 works well with my LG G2. I haven't had any issues with the app. The feed going to my phone does have some lag (about a second behind). With the app you can control the cameras zoom and also control the shutter.When you take a picture with the app the image is downloaded to your phone in a separate image folder. Note: that RAW files take allot longer to download then JPEG files (about six to ten seconds vs 2 seconds)I'm assuming your phone will have an impact on download times, the LG G2 is one of the more powerful smartphones currently on the market. You can also view and download pictures from the P340's SD card to your phone including RAW files. All your pictures show up as thumbnails, the thumbnails scroll smoothly from top to bottom. You can choose and view individual pictures by selecting them, then you have the option to download the files. RAW files take a longer time to download since they are 20mb files,But JPEG files load fast. The app is a bit basic but its better then nothing. The ability to have control of your ISO, aperture, shutter speed, picture control settings and white balance would be great. Hopefully Nikon implements those adjustments into the app in the future.

Hows the WIFI range? Don't know yet. I've only tested it indoors since I really don't have a use for remote camera control. Once I test it I'll post the usable range. EDIT: 6/15/14 the wifi range is about 55 to 60 feet. This is great if you want to possibly use this camera for remote applications.

EDIT: 6/15/14 So in owning this camera for a while now I've become more familiar with it. For one the HDR mode works great. The expanded dynamic range of the larger sensor really improves on the cameras HDR capabilities. The HDR mode is accessed in the scene mode (This camera does have exposure bracketing in P,A and S modes which works better if you have an editing program that allows you to combine multiple shots into one).

So to access the Backlighitng (HDR) mode you just turn the mode dial to "scene" then press the menu button and look for "backlighting" then press okay. From there you'll be able to adjust how much a of a variance in the three exposures you want, the camera gives you 3 settings to choose from. You can also adjust the exposure comp in HDR mode. But unfortunately your limited to JPEG fine or normal mode only. This is understandable, if you shot an image using HDR in RAW you would then be combining 3 raw files at 25mb a pop. Asking a little camera like this to align and process a 75mb file is allot to ask for.

In HDR mode the AF system uses a single focus point which you can then use to expose the image how you want. Just position the AF point at the portion of the photo you want to have the most detail then half press the shutter to lock the exposure recompose and then fully press the shutter. Knowing how to use the exposure comp allows you to get even more detail. In most cases when used properly you can actually fully expose an entire scene just about perfectly which is awesome. Its just takes some getting used to. The camera will take about 2 to 5 seconds to presses the images depending on how its setup.

One more thing I discovered is that all the effects modes can also be applied to the cameras video. Selective color is a fun one to try out. On top of that the P340 has a manual focus mode which I touched on earlier in my review. Guess what you can also manually focus this camera to while shooting video. Just keep in mind that you will be using the rear rotary dial/multi selector to focus. You also won't get focus peeking or the cropped view either (the screen is sharp enough to tell if your in focus or not). The focus is linear to, which means the closer you get to macro focus the finer the adjustments become. The further away you get from macro focus the more spread out and quicker the adjustments become. Also using the rear rotary dial/multi selector is a better method then using the adjustment ring around the lens. The rings "clicking" noises would be picked up my the cameras internal mics. The rear rotary dial/multi selector gets picked up to but only if your in a quiet room.

So after owning this camera for a little over a month I'm still very happy with it. I'd still buy this camera if I had the option. The Coolpix P340 really is like a mini DSLR or mirroless camera that fits in your pocket. Its the perfect companion to anyone who's looking for a compact, feature rich camera that lets you have full control over your images. I'd recommend this camera to anyone looking for a small alternative to a DSLR or mirrorless system camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite camera, May 20, 2014
I was on the hunt for a business camera that had a relatively bright lens, plenty of adjustability, and RAW file support. I already have a decent super-zoom camera so there was no need to go above what the P340 has.

I just took the camera on a trip and am amazed at how quickly, accurately, and reliably the pictures have turned out without flash, in challenging light, and with moving targets. While waiting on the subway in NYC, I played with auto-aperture and auto-shutter priority settings and caught some (comparatively) impressive movement shots for such a small package.

And the best part? No one targeted me for their wares while walking around the town. They went straight for the folks with the big and flashy Nikon / Canon cameras strapped around their necks. Whereas I would pull out the camera, snap a shot, and slip it right back into my pocket. Nice experience indeed!

Also, the camera worked just fine with several other chargers and charge cables besides the Nikon charger that came with the camera. I almost didn't buy the camera after reading that one review, but found it to be false and I'm glad I took the chance.

The P340 is a great little camera for everything that your DLSR is too much for and everything that your phone is not enough for.

I couldn't find it available locally, but Amazon got it to me in 2 days in time for my trip. Major Kudos out to the Amazon folks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pic Quality - Charging an Issue, May 13, 2014

The Good:
-Takes excellent very sharp high quality pictures.
-Dim natural light performance is excellent.

The Not So Good:
-Strobe is too weak for anything but very near field pics but not unexpected for a package this small.
-Very small size a double edged sword. Hard to hold comfortably but certainly very convenient. I also have a D90 & D3200 so convenience, at least for me, is the reason d'etre for buying it.

The Ugly:
-Has a USB interface for charging & downloading but must use the included Nikon wall cube to charge it. It will not charge from a generic USB power supply including those rated twice what the Nikon adapter is rated at. Worse, it will not charge from a relatively large USB backup battery or the USB power outlets in my car. All these devices successfully charge all my other USB devices, including our two power hungry Kindle Fires, so there is no excuse for not charging the P340. This means unless there is a 120VAC outlet available the P340 does not get charged. It also means I have to carry more charging hardware when I travel instead of the generic devices that previously handled everything. Because of this reason alone I am sorry I bought the P340.

***UPDATE***
Yesterday I tried charging the P340 in my car from a different USB adapter (one that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet). This time it did indeed charge. Not sure why it did not work with one (no particular brand name) and does work with another (ridicuously expensive adapter with the BMW logo on it). This is good because I know I can recharge the P340 when no 120VAC outlet is present but I am still not changing the overall rating because there is no good reason a USB interface should not be universal and work with any USB adapter, especially a USB backup battery. Even if a generic USB adapter is rated less than the Nikon adapter the only consequence should be a long battery charge duration. That is the way it works with virtually every one of the many other USB based devices we have including our Kindle Fires that require a robust charging source.

***UPDATE #2***
Had oppurtunity to us ethe P340 extensively. Took 184 pictures over the course of about 6 hours, about 10% using the strobe, before I noticed the battery icon indicating a low battery. I was satified with this performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Camera, May 31, 2014
Cgoor

This camera is better than the Canon S95 and the S120. I replaced my S95 with an S120 but returned it due to a battery problem when using video. I decided to try the Nikon P340 and I'm extremely impressed with this camera especially that it's $100 cheaper than the Canon S120. In my opinion after using the two camera's the Nikon delivers superior image quality. The sharpness, clarity, colors and the exposure of its photos(JPEG- I rarely shoot raw) is superior to the Canon S120. I also prefer its video over the S120. However, the Canon is a bit faster than the Nikon when going through the menus and shot to shot times. The auto-focus speed is about the same but I feel the Nikon is slightly more accurate. I prefer the handling of the Nikon slightly more due to the small hand grip but the Canon has a slight advantage for ease of use due to its touch screen.

Overall I highly recommend this camera and feel very strongly that this camera is the best pocket camera under $400. In fact it's probably the best pocket camera under $500 and superior to the Canon S120 due to it's superb image quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay camera, but not as good as its predecessor, the P330., April 24, 2014
Al "Al" (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
The P340 has the advantage of wifi for your smartphone or tablet with the addition of an app download, but for some reason when I tested out the pictures carefully in comparison to its predecesesor, the P330, the P340 is not what it's all cracked up to be. The photos, while most came out clearly, did not come out consistently that way, the way the P330 did. In fact, many came out blurry, especially when I uploaded them to my laptop. That is why I returned it, and kept the older model instead. It was very possible that the particular one I received from the third party seller was defective, that it was just a bad apple. I don't miss the wifi of the P340, and and still ecstatic about the P330's consistently razor sharp pics. My recommendation: if you can still find the older model which is no longer in production, get it, instead of dishing out an extra $100 for this one. If you really need the wifi, an optional attachment is available for purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera with options!, June 15, 2014
I was in need of a new camera and had not bought a new one in quite a bit. Talk about an overwhelming amount of choices.
Why I concluded in getting this camera is because I really wanted to have some control over the pics I took, while having a small compact camera I could throw in my purse.
The Nikon P340 is just slightly bigger then point and shoot size. You can use it as point and shoot or use any of its various settings all the way to full manual (a huge perk to me). So far I have been really happy with the pictures. It has WiFi which is pretty cool. I can sync up my camera to my phone and immediately download and email pics to friends and family when out and about. It is easy to use. It does not have a viewfinder, which I find a little odd when using the manual setting, but the screen is very nice. Over all I think this is a great option and the price is obviously better then the comparable Cannon option ($100 more). The Cannon has a couple of perks such as touch screen, which I did not think was necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014
Nice compact pictures with great clarity; love the feature to shoot pictures in low light situations .

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 4, 2014