5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice basic P&S camera
This camera satisfies all of the criteria that might be applied to a small, versatile and relatively inexpensive point and shoot camera.
> excellent exposure under most conditions, color balance very good
> works well in low light without flash
> fast focus, reasonably quick recycle time
> excellent menu, limited of course by lack of manual...
Published on November 25, 2011 by DrBob

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough.
Background: Hobbyist photographer, other cameras are a Nikon D300 and a Nikon D40 with a plethora of lenses. Main purpose for buying this P&S is for lightweight travel and taking it to restaurants, etc w/o the bulkiness of a DSLR, and a camera that I could hand to someone else to take a photo of me + family, you cant do that with a DSLR.

I took this camera on a...
Published on November 28, 2011 by inabon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough., November 28, 2011
inabon (Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews

I took this camera on a 10 day road trip to Disneyland and San Diego, I took several hundreds pictures with it and something like 30 videos so my review is based on this experience.

Pros:

- size. its small enough to carry with you yet beefy enough to use with big hands, as far as P&S go, this is a great size, in comparison, the new Canons are just too small for big hands.
- fast autofocus (instant when outdoors).
- scenes work (but read cons).
- battery life for photo taking is not horrible.

Cons:

- absolutely horrible battery life when taking video. If you take three five minute videos, prepare to not have a full day of battery, taking video EATS the battery.
- scene mode: They take too long to select and you cant change the ISO on them, which means you'll get grainy pictures.
- flash: it really is too underpowered, you cant take a family photo 4 feet from the camera at night, true, you can fix it later, but, still, flash could be WAY better.
- 16M photo size: When using this size, the write speed to the card is horrendous, almost unusable for some of us (even with top of the line sd cards), my recommendation, use the 12M setting, the size is big enough for big prints and you get good write speeds.
- charging trough USB. I prefer taking out a battery than removing a rubber gasket to connect a usb cable., however, it charges pretty fast.
- odd focusing; I don't know if this is an issue with MY camera, but mine back focuses too much, (back focusing refers to: you focus on someone's faces, the focus point shows where it focused but then the focus point on the photo is actually behind the point you wanted, making the photo unusable)
- lack of photo info: when taking a photo, it doesnt show you what ISO was used when using Scenes, which means you have to zoom into the pic to see if its usable, this is a big flaw in my opinion.

Conclusion:

- This is not a P7100 or a Canon G12, this is a basic P&S that does one thing good, be basic (and the price proves it). Do not expect to be blown away by the quality of the pictures unless you took them outdoors and forced the ISO to be 200 or below, everything else will be good enough pictures. Would I recommend it? I guess I will with the caveats I mentioned, with the case logic travel case you can put it on your belt and have it with you all the time, thats a big bonus. Case Logic TBC-302 Ultra Compact Camera Case with Storage (Black)

UPDATE: Tips & Tricks:

- Two scenes work really good: Night Landscape & Sports (outdoors), the rest, not so much.
- Change the photo size to 12M, it gives you a 4000 x 3000 sized picture, enough for most size prints, and the camera feels way faster with that setting on.
- ISO 200 is really clean, if you can, leave it there, ISO 400 is not as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice basic P&S camera, November 25, 2011
> excellent exposure under most conditions, color balance very good
> works well in low light without flash
> fast focus, reasonably quick recycle time
> excellent menu, limited of course by lack of manual controls
> excellent battery life
> nice wide angle lens with good zoom range, useful for both party and travel scenarios.

Suggest purchase of external charger and second battery since included charger only works with the battery in the camera.

I am very happy with this camera. It is better than several higher-end cameras I've owned due to their exposure, focusing or low-light problems, none of which are a problem in this camera. I would suggest this camera to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera, December 7, 2011
Recently used my new Nikon COOLPIX S6200 for our family Thanksgiving/Christmas get together and was very pleased. The pictures are vibrant in color and are amazing in quality. The zoom works well and I was amazed at the way I could include a large area and group in one scene and it still have such good detail quality. It does have a slight hesitation before the picture actually snaps which caused me to miss some great shots of my little grandchild, but I'm still learning how to use it. Overall, I love the compact size of the camera, and the quality of the pictures, and am sure I will love it even more as I learn how to use it better. Thanks to Amazon for your great service again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Comparable to my old Canon, so far, December 25, 2011
I'm writing from the perspective of a working mom with school-age kids in sports and band. I received this camera as a gift, and have been testing it all day. I wanted a new camera with a better zoom than my Elph, which is now around 5 years old. At this point, I do not perceive a major difference.
* I keep recording video accidentally due to the button's location in the upper right corner of the back of the camera, where I often place a finger to stabilize things. This is a major problem.
* There's a slight delay between the time you press the button and the time the photo is actually taken, another major problem if kids or animals are your subjects. I'd be more positive about this if the reason for the delay was better focus but...
* The focus in general seems tricky, and no more reliable than my old Elph.
* The zoom is stronger, but once again, focus is a problem.
* The "night" camera option is not much better than my Elph's regular abilities.
* The camera's beeps are loud - everyone around you will know when you turn it on and when you delete photos.
* Which reminds me, the on button is very small! Not sure how this would work for someone with big hands.
* Definitely purchase a second charger and battery. Otherwise, you'll need to plug in the camera like you plug in your phone.
* The camera itself is rather large, as large as my old camera, which makes sense given the longer lens, except that longer lens does not seem to produce better results. Will not save space in my purse.
At this point, I kind of get the feeling that the new camera has a lot of bells and whistles (the sepia option is one thing I really like), but is not much better in performance than my old camera. It may be that if you are looking for a better camera, you need to consider an SLR. Or it may be that this was meant for folks who don't already own an Elph or something comparable.

4.0 out of 5 stars just turn on and shooooot, December 25, 2011
I was skeptical about the coolpix for a while. After a little research I decided to get one, my first nikon camera after the canon. The camera is great and takes beautiful sharp pics with ease of use. Since i like to take far views, the Nikon optical zoom worked great for me. For those who are frequent shooters who doesn't like the burden of complicated cameras, this is the one. I highly recommend. Hope this was helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy Another Product, April 27, 2012
This camera is terrible. I tried to return it but don't have the box so they won't take it back. I had no idea I would be returning it. I have a Nikon D90 and it's wonderful, however, I always use a compact camera for ease in traveling local and away. The pictures are distorted like they were taken in a fun house. By the time you take the picture, either the person taking the picture has moved the camera or the subject has moved, thereby creating a blurry picture in either event. The lag time is lengthy and there's no way to correct that setting. Steer clear of this camera. I presume it's okay for novice photographers, but I'm a bit more advanced and have greater expectations of my pictures, whether I'm taking them or in them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Look Elsewhere, December 20, 2011
I was looking for a compact point and shoot in the $200 range that took sharp pictures with good image stabilization. My old Canon Powershot SD750 (which I was very happy with) died recently and I needed a replacement. I tried 5 different cameras, and the picture quality on all of them was alful:
1. Panasonic DMC-FH25A
2. Nikon Coolpix S6200
3. Canon PowerShot SX230HS
4. Canon PowerShot SD980IS
5. Canon PowerShot Elph 100 HS

They all got returned. I finally found the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V and I am THRILLED with it. I never would have thought that a Sony camera would outperform comperable models from Nikon and Canon (WHAT has happened to Canon in the last few years?), but the difference is absolutely night and day.

Conclusion: pass on this one and look at the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for most conditions, December 18, 2011
This was my first Nikon camera - I've owned point-and-shoots from Canon and Kodak before. I wasn't happy with the quality of my last Kodak camera and wanted to replace it with something that would take better photos, especially in low-light or indoors with flash. I compared this camera to the Canon Elph 500 and ended up choosing this one because it felt better in my hand and the settings felt more intuitive. Plus, I was curious to see how Nikon would compare to my previous Canon point-and-shoot.

This camera works wonderfully in most settings. It is definitely easy to use and the menus feel very intuitive to me. It's easy to change scenes or use different flash settings. I have not used it to take video, so can't comment at all on that functionality.

The only times that I've run into any problems are in very low-light situations, especially if trying to take a photo from some distance away - the flash doesn't reach more than a few feet, resulting in photos that are very grainy and dark. Also, every so often the camera won't focus on the specific thing that I'm aiming at, making it necessary to make sure that I'm taking at least a few shots of anything that I want to make sure to capture. Honestly, that's something I would do normally anyway, just to ensure I don't miss a critical shot though.

For most purposes (mine are taking family photos indoors or on-the-go) this camera works perfectly well and I'm very happy with the purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Cheap Camera, Lousy For A Nikon, January 9, 2012
Imran Anwar (Heron Pointe, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S6200 16 MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and HD 720p Video (Red) (Electronics)
I love the pictures Nikon cameras take (see flickr /imrananwar for some examples) but each of my Nikon S6, 5700 and D300 ended up having to go back to repair manufacturing or design flaws. Cannot stand the 100% failure/defect ratio of a fancy expensive company like Nikon.

I did not buy this at Amazon (which has always been a great experience to shop from, but adding this review to help other buyers. This Coolpix 6200 was bought to replace the (repaired) but working S6 6MP and to supplement the times I cannot carry the D300, and where the otherwise excellent for day time shots iPhone 4S 8MP camera would not excel, e.g. where real zoom helps (sunsets), large group photo with a flash), etc.

First off, this Nikon (Coolpix 6200 being sold in) 2012 camera may as well have a built-in floppy drive. That is how long it takes to save a photo. Literally 5-6 seconds PER photo. Forget quick shots of some cute action like kids or animals (yes, some people's kids behave like animals, but that is a whole other review LOL). It has fair but paltry 720p video capability where the iPhone 4S has 1080 and quite good.

The flash is not very powerful. The best thing about it is its red color :) . And the fact that it has a real zoom lens. I only bought it because I had a $25 reward/rebate from Staples, on top of it's price of $149 that day. So, for $125 (which was less than the cost of ordering some flimsy and hard to carry iPhone 4S zoom lenses, etc.) I got a real 3rd camera, and won't stop you from buying it for such use. As a primary camera, spend your money on a camera that actually has moved up to data writing speeds for this century.

The overall colors of the photos are not bad, and better than the S6 in some situations. However, it has a truly poorly designed little plastic tab covering the USB port, which requires multiple nail insertions to pop, and always at the guaranteed risk of breaking off. It is almost like Nikon hired someone to design something as poorly as possible for such a basic thing. Also, on more than one occasion the camera will scare you by not displaying the images it took and saying that the card in it it unreadable. The card works fine in this and the other cameras it was tested in.

So, get it at cheapest cost as a supplemental camera, but NOT as a primary camera. Click Yes if you find this review helpful. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a compact point and shoot, December 3, 2011
Got this camera a couple of weeks ago. It takes great pictures for a point and shoot. Zoom stability is good even at 10x.
Menus are easy to understand and navigate, or you can just set it to automode, which also works well. Editing software that comes with it is very user friendly.

Have not tried out recording videos yet, but then I didn't buy it for that anyway.

This is an ideal camera for a novice who just wants something compact and easy to use out of the box that takes good photos.
16mp and 10x zoom for a Nikon this small and under $200 is a good deal.