5.0 out of 5 stars A good camera for the serious hobbyist
For the past two decades I've been an avid photographer. My professional equipment choices have leaned towards Nikon. My point and shoot purchases towards Canon. I was in the market for a camera with the following attributes:

A decent travel camera.
Full Creative and manual controls.
Swing out LCD screen.
Compatibility with the Nikon Creative...
Published on September 28, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Tried to love it, ended up hating it - most likely defective
I've had this for over 2 years; it was a replacement for a Sony point and shoot which produced amazing detail and clarity. I'm not going into all the details here, but after reading reviews and coming back to read them again here and elsewhere, I can only conclude that my camera is defective. It has always had focusing issues no matter what settings I choose. The only...
Published 17 months ago by Northern Gal

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to slr, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX P7100 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-Inch Vari-Angle LCD (Camera)

Easy to carry and the viewfinder makes it much easier to line up pictures. The movable screen can duplicate a reflex camera and it is mucheasier to use.

I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pictures!, May 19, 2013
I know nothing about cameras but wanted something that took better pictures than your typical "point and shoot" camera. Tried this because the price was good (299.99) and I am very happy with it...it takes great pictures on auto !
(Maybe one day I will learn the other features, but for my purposes auto is fine!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens error!, December 16, 2013
All these Cooolpix by Nikon are flawed, once it says "lens Error" your camera is ruined through no fault of your own, I wasted $450 on one three months ago, now its toast. Several other people have reported the problem. Don't buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, September 3, 2014
I bought this for myself and like it very much. I did a lot of research because I needed a camera with a view finder in addition to just a screen. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera!, January 6, 2012
I received this camera in 2 days - Thank you Amazon for the fast shipping!

I only had this camera for less than a week so I won't be able to give out a full review on it but I did play around with it and I will share my thoughts.

I am not a professional photographer but I do enjoy photography; I do it as a hobby. I had a point and shoot camera and always wanted to upgrade to take better pictures and have a little more creative freedom with my picture taking. I did want a DSRL camera (and I will eventually upgrade to that one day) but I hate the thought of carrying a bulky camera around when I travel. So I decided to compromise for a compact digital camera, which I feel this one is in between your point and shoot and your DSRL camera. After reading so many reviews, I really couldn't make up my mind on which one to get, I decided on this camera and so glad I did.

Again, I haven't had this camera that long so I can't give specifics. BUT I did take some pictures here and there and the quality is amazing. I'm very impressed. It is a little bulky but it is expected - I love the features (effects) {fisheye, cross process, creative monochrome}; I usually use those features after I upload my pictures to give them effects but I do like that I can do these on the camera itself. I don't mind the pop up flash, I just forget to press it down when I am done, I guess I have to get use to that.

I'll be travelling next week, and I can't wait to really put this camera to use!

Just get yourself at least a 4GB SD memory card, the camera does come with internal memory but I'd rather save my photos on the memory card. I forgot to order one when I got the camera, so I had to run to the store to get one.

The Manual is on a CD-ROM which I think it's great so I don't have to have little booklets around.

I'm sorry this review doesn't have too many specifics but I will update once I've actually taken plenty of pictures with it. So far I would recommend this camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, June 17, 2012
Dr. R. King "DrBKing" (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This camera is fantastic. I have several Nikon SLRs and was looking for something lighter to carry on hiking trips, but without loss of versatility or quality. This camera is it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great camera with loads of options but lens cap breaks easily and they provide very poor service, May 16, 2012
Eight months later. Had a problem with the lens cap not fully opening (which turns out to be fairly common). Of course I was in the middle of an expensive vacation to an exotic location. When I returned, I sent the camera to Nikon and waited over three weeks for them to acknowledge receipt. Their warrantee repair system is terrible. You have to figure out how to log into their website, and it is impossible to receive any specific information about the status of the repair.
I'd get a Canon next time.

Original review
I'm genenerally with this camera which was recommended to me by two professional photographers.
It has plenty of automatic settings and, more importantly, almost all of the manual adjustment features
that you would find in a DSLR.

What's more the buttons and knobs are well-positioned and easy to reach, the Nikon lens is accurate, and the
zoom mechanism is relatively smooth.

I recommend it to anyone who wants an upscale digital camera with all the bells and whistles, but doesn't want to be
bothered changing lenses.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Walk Around Camera, March 16, 2012
I have a D90 for my SLR needs as a photographer. I also have an iPhone camera that works in a pinch. What I wanted was a camera that fit in between. Something I could put in a gym bag or something else to carry around to work or while out walking. Most of the time, I didn't feel the need or want to lug around my D90 so that left me my iPhone camera...then I was fortunate to see three ravens flying about near a building this winter in the Austin area. Beautiful birds but my iPhone camera just wasn't up to the task for the quality I expected from my D90. The P7100 comes close. I can manipulate all the things I normally do with aperture, shutter speed, exposure comp, flash comp, white balance etc. I can even chose to shoot RAW/NRW images.

I would have given this camera five stars but it's too big to fit in my pocket which would be the most optimum size. As it is, 4 1/2 is my best rating for this in between camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars NikonCOOLPIXP7100 Does the British Isles, June 10, 2014
Bought this camera as a backup for my trip to Great Britian, Ireland and Normandy France. It performed very well. It is a sophisticated camera and does require some learning curve time. Not just your normal point and shot. Once main reason I bought it was for the ability to look through the eye-frame to take pictures in the sunlight, but rarely needed that feature. It was a camera I used more than my larger D7000 Nikon, because it was so easy to carry and use in buildings and museums with crowds.
You do have to be mindful of the settings and need to make adjustments (shutter speed, etc.) on it as you take pictures, but the overall capability of the camera is so strong that it's a minor inconvenience. The processing speed could be better if you are taking multiple shots at once, but again for this level of camera it is really good. I now take it with me wherever I go because it is so reliable and compact with so many outstanding features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old guy review of Coolpix P7100, March 16, 2014
Solid camera with large easy to see dials. Finally a modern camera with a optical viewfinder that can be used in bright sunlight.
More control than normal point and shoot with a short learning curve for someone who has not played with camera control since the depature of film. Metal body has a good feel, controls works smoothly.

The only negative is that it is a little bit heavy and larger than can fit into a shirt pocket. So I wear a jacket or vest with large pockets.

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›