4.0 out of 5 stars It's actually very nice.
I've had several Nikon coolpix and am looking at this one today to buy. They are great camera!

Published 16 months ago by Mermaid

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Problem
Published 15 months ago by Joel A. Goverman

4.0 out of 5 stars It's actually very nice., May 11, 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S5200 Wi-Fi CMOS Digital Camera with 6x Zoom Lens (Plum) (Electronics)

To the person who wrote that first review, who complained: "The first thing I noticed was that I could not just hit the play button to view pictures and video, but I had to actually turn on the camera. When you power the camera the lens extends, where in the Canon, you hit the play button and you can view pictures and videos and your lens retracted with the lens cover closed."

With the camera off, you hold down the replay pix button for a couple-two-three seconds and the camera and screen turns on, arrow buttons scroll through the pix you have taken. Without opening the lens.

That darn user's manual....

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Problem, June 9, 2013
Bought the product as a backup camera for a trip to Alaska. Tested everything out the night before the trip. Everything worked fine. Put the camera immediately into the case. Camera was never dropped, jostled, etc. When I was in Alaska, ready to take the first picture, the lens wouldn't come out. Kept getting error message, "lens error". No other function on the camera would work, except the on/off button. Called the help line, but no luck. Fortunately, I had another camera, or this could have been an absolute disaster. Judging from two other reviews, this product has a serious defect. I don't understand why it is still being sold.

3.0 out of 5 stars BooooO!, October 23, 2013
This camera worked fine (never dropped or abused) and then ALL OF A SUDDEN it stopped working. I just took a few pictures and minutes later went to plug the usb cord to my laptop to retrieve the pictures and it just STOPPED WORKING. The on/off button does nothing. The battery is completely charged. What the heck? I hate it when things stop working for absolutely NO REASON.

UPDATE 11/27/13: The camera was still under warranty. I shipped it to Nikon and it was returned to me in 1 week. Best of all the repair was free!!! Make sure you keep all your packaging materials & warranty information just in case.

FYI There is a firmware update on the Nikon website which is said to prevent this problem from even occurring...but I didn't know about it and well...you know what happened! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, September 28, 2013
Bought my camera at Costco on August 1, 2013. Took great pictures until today, September 28th and I'm getting a message on the screen is LENS ERROR. The lens will not come out. I was unable to take any pictures of my outing on the lake. Think twice about buying this camera. I thought I did enough research. I quests I didn't do enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, May 12, 2013
I got this camera a couple weeks ago at a local camera shop. Most places in my area were selling the bundle for a Mother's Day special...I really like the plum color too. I had a bunch of questions before buying it due to all the bad or so so reviews. I like this camera. It fits almost anywhere, it works the way the manual says it should, it charges fast, the pics look good and I even took some of my pets which were not blurry as some have stated. Maybe my pets are not quick to move. I got this to take on a 2 week east coast trip and wanted something that was easier to carry than my other camera. I'm happy with it so far and can't complain. I did buy an extra battery since I was not sure how long the battery life was.

***UPDATE****I bought this camera for a 2 week trip to the east coast. Four days into my trip, the camera lens would not extend when turned on. When the lens finally did extend, the camera would not focus and if I tried to zoom, it would only zoom a millimeter, turn itself off and give me a Lens Error. I called the camera shop I bought it from to see if there was something going on that I just needed to reset the camera, but they were no help. They told me I would have to bring the camera in and they would check it to see if I had done something to cause the lens to get off track. Meanwhile, I'm on day 4 of a 14 day trip now without a camera. I bought another one to use for my trip and once home, I returned the broken one. I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen again. All the pictures I took came out perfect, so if the lens "stays on track" this little camera does take nice shots, but I'm really iffy on it now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not A Top Performer, April 18, 2013
I have always had Canon, but decided to give Nikon a try. After reading all of the reviews on the Nikon 5200 I decided to purchase it. I had the camera for three days and returned it.

The second issue I had was how the camera charges. You have to put the battery in the camera and plug the power cord into the camera to charge the battery. I assume that Nikon makes a separate charger, but unlike Canon, Nikon does not provide one with the camera.

I probably could have gotten past these two things, if I did not encounter the next two issues. I have a DSL camera and have had other point and shots in the past. I have never had an issue taking a picture of something moving. My pictures always come out clear and blur free, but not with this Nikon. Majority of the pictures taken over the past three days were blurry and the camera had a VERY hard time focusing. This seemed to be the issue whether I used full auto with auto scene select or when I set the scene to one that fit best. In the past with Canon I have used Kids and Pets and my pictures have come out clear even if the subject moved last minute.

My son is 9 months old and like many things in life there are no second chances and I need a camera that will capture the moment the first time! This Nikon did not meet my expectations at all and I do not recommend it to anyone regardless of user level.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Error!, August 1, 2013
Bought S5200 just before flying to Hawaii for vacation. 19 pictures in and got the Lens Error message. Completely non-functional. No authorized Nikon dealers in Hawaii so only option is to send to Nikon for repair. They would not help with a discount or free replacement from any of the stores in Hawaii selling their cameras. I bought an S6500 (same batteries and memory card as the S5200) at a Walmart and it performed flawlessly for the duration of the trip. Pictures and videos are nice.

Skip the S5200 and get a different model.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Disappointment, October 26, 2013
Before leaving for a European holiday, we purchased the S5200 for a very good sales price (in relation to full retail cost). But even at the discounted price, it was not worth the money! The battery life was virtually non-existent (we were amazed at how quickly the battery drained!). Most pictures with the zoom quality were very poor, especially indoor pictures - most are blurry using the zoom (we assume some of this was due to our getting used to the camera).

However, the coup d'état - when attending an outdoor event, front row seats, and looking forward to using the zoom - the camera stopped working! It turned on, the lense extended for a few seconds and then closed, and then the 'lens error' message appeared. After the event, via a computer blog, I trouble shooted the matter, tried what was recommended - take battery out, put back in, charge the battery, etc. Did not correct the situation. In total, we had the camera for 10 days before it malfunctioned.

This is so disappointing! We always thought that Nikkon made quality products so we did not think about checking consumer ratings. And, when considering other Nikkon Coolpix cameras, according to the consumer ratings reviewed, there are problems with this Nikkon camera product range, so it is not worth the risk or the money to try a Nikkon replacement camera. What is most disappointing - that Nikkon would even consider having these cameras on the market!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, July 22, 2013
I got this camera because for the money it seemed like a good value. Decent lens with a few features and the added bonus of WiFi. The compact size meant I could easily carry it a purse or backpack without the added weight of my DSLR. The first one lasted nearly a month. Since it was under warranty the store replaced it no questions ask. The replacement lasted only three days. In both cases the lens as gotten out of alignment & will not focus giving me the dreaded "lens error". I am pro & have been carrying a camera with me daily for 40+ years & using digital cameras for the past 13+ years. Never have I had such a disappointment with a Nikon product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fool me twice, October 14, 2013
I bought this camera and initially loved it. It has lots of fun features. Although the build in Wifi is kind of dumb. It would be nicer if I could connect to my Wifi network and upload the pictures automatically, rather than having the camera create a new hub. After a month the camera stopped charging. I returned it to the store for a new camera. That camera also stopped charging after a couple of weeks. Since it was for my son, I told him to just charge the battery in an external charger, but even with a fully charged battery the camera would no longer turn on. At this point I returned it to Nikon for repair. Luckily I had all the papers and original packaging. To my surprise, Nikon denied the warranty repair and wanted over $100.- which is close to what I paid to begin with. DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA.

Rate and Discover Movies