4.0 out of 5 stars Nice For The Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing defect / worthless warranty
Published on September 6, 2011 by Paul H. Anderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Manufacturing defect / worthless warranty, September 6, 2011
I bought this camera for my son about 10 months ago. About 5 months ago, the camera developed black lines and dots on the rear monitor. We sent it in to Nikon for repair under their warranty. Instead, we got a notice saying Nikon wanted to charge us $105.46 to repair the camera. I called and asked why. They said the problem was cause by undue pressure on the camera, as if something heavy had been set on it.
When we bought the camera, we also purchased a hard shell case. The camera has only been lightly used. When it was not being used, it was in the hard case. It has never been placed under pressure. Furthermore, of the 14 reviews on Amazon, 3 mention this same problem. Ours would make it 4 out of 15, or 27% failure rate. Clearly, this is a re-occurring manufacturing defect.
Not only will Nikon not honor their warranty by trying to blame the customer, but they want to charge $105.46 to repair a camera that currently new costs only $134.66.
Do not buy this camera or from Nikon. This model has a high failure rate, as evidenced by the responses to Amazon. Nikon will not stand by or honor their warranty if the camera does fail. They will, as they did to me, blame the user for the problem. Then they will charge you 80% of the cost of a new camera to fix it. Surely there are other companies that are service and customer oriented.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice For The Price, January 9, 2011
This is a nice little camera a for sticking in your pocket when your DSLR is just too much to deal with. It is very small. The photos and HD video are very good, but not quite as good as a full size DSLR or HD video camera, but that is to be expected. There are not a lot of manual adjustments available, but you can change the photo characteristics by setting different "scene types". You'll need to read the manual to figure this out. For video, you cannot use zoom. This is a nice, reasonably priced camera, but if it's your only one, I would recommend considering spending a little more on say the S8000.

1.0 out of 5 stars Destroys Batteries after one charge, September 10, 2011
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix S5100 12 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Vibration Reduction (VR) Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Purple) (Electronics)
This camera worked great for a few months and then all at once it started to destroy batteries.
I kept purchasing(3) high end recommended batteries and after about a month after they charged they went dead and would not recharge. This holds true for every battery I purchased. I tried the batteries in my friends camera and they would not longer charge for her either.
This has turned out to be a very expensive camera to operate. I would recommend a Kodak with rechargable batteries for about $100 and forget the expensive Nikons.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, January 1, 2011
This camera takes WONDERFUL dusk and low light photos without flash! The flash is very powerful and when used properly the photo's are crystal clear. I love the color, and has a time delay for taking self portraits. It's about as big as some of the smart phones that are out right now so it wasn't a pain in the rear to carry around while I was on vacation. It takes great video too. Be sure to buy a class 6 or above memory card to speed up the photo recording time. I bought a 6 but really thing this requires a 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good little camera, January 3, 2011
This camera takes some really good pictures. But, it also does VIDEO! It's a little awkward holding the camera like a camcorder but it does some really good HD video. I used my windows 7 'DVD maker' to put the .avi files together and it worked flawlessly!!! Great for making some home movies and for parties. We made some Christmas movies of us opening gifts and our little dog playing. Be sure to get a Class 6 sdhc card to go with it. You will need the speed of the class 6 memory card. A great little camera for what it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars grt!, October 30, 2010
even though i just got this camera so far it is amazing...we have a "real" professional camera that is too hard to carry around. i have a baby so i take a bunch of picts with no time for posing! so far this has been an excellent camera even in not good lighting. and it takes picts way quicker then these little cameras used to!
definitely a grt buy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, June 27, 2011
This was purchased as a replacement for a Nikon s570 that was dropped. It is very similar, even using the same battery. It takes great pictures. Set up and menu functions are easy to use. You can turn it on and take a picture in less than a second, if you do not have a welcome screen selected. Otherwise it takes a little longer. Video mode is accessed by touching the record button while in still picture mode, and begins recording in a little less than two seconds. From start up to video recording is about five seconds. Overall seems like a great camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective LCDs- don't buy this camera., July 25, 2011
NK1 (Rochester, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Same problem as 2 other reviewers. My LCD screen developed a black defect after a few days. I was able to exchange it for a new one. The next one started developing the defects after about 6 weeks. I may try my luck with the warranty. Very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Display developed two dark spots, May 29, 2012
The display has developed two dark spots.....guess I'll be "deep sixing" it soon!!! This is my first and most likely my last Nikon camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, October 6, 2011
I purchased this camera to replace an earlier version of the same model, which for one thing allows me to use the batteries I already had (giving me 3 now) and to lessen the 'learning curve' on a new camera. Just like the older model, this camera is easy to set up and use and the pictures are fabulous! I've only used the new one a couple of times, but am already very happy with it. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for something they can just take out of the box and start using without much effort (once the battery is charged....) and get great results. Nice camera for the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›