Canon PowerShot A590IS 8MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $49.99
Nikon Coolpix vs. Canon Powershot Help! I am not the best photographer, and I am just looking for a good, reliable, basic camera that is easy to use. I don't need all the bells and whistles that some come with. Since I am not the best at taking pics, I would like to keep the price down. Can anyone offer up any suggestions? I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix and Canon Powershot models.
asked by S. Grossman on March 30, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
I bought the Coolpix L18 last year because I wanted an extremely easy, user friendly, low price camera to use. I picked up the coolpix at the store and was able to use it without reviewing the owner's manual. I previously had two Canons that I loved but both had broken due to being dropped or abused. I am now shopping for a Canon to replace my coolpix. I love the ease of use with my coolpix but the photos are so lacking that I find I do not bother to use it anymore.
Kontheadken answered on April 12, 2009
Comment | 11 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
For a good, reliable, basic camera that is easy to use and reasonably priced, it would be hard to beat the PowerShot A590IS or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8. Both take great shots and have optical image stabilization; both are reliable and extremely easy to use in automatic modes. They both use AA cells and work great with thrifty reliable NiMH rechargeable cells like Eneloop or Duracell Pre-charged, so you won't need to buy expensive special-sized lithium rechargeable batteries for them. The nicest thing about both is they also give users the option to use Aperture or Time priority and Manual controls. When your pictures start looking better and the photo bug bites, you WILL want more creative control than the simplest full-auto-only cameras can provide. With the A590 or LZ8 you won't have to buy another camera to get that capability.
OldAmazonian answered on April 4, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The fragile lens mechanism is a real problem, but to some degree it is common to most brands of point-and-shoot cameras. The price difference between a camera like the PowerShot A470 and the A590 buys a camera that makes better pictures on auto, and both cameras are equally simple to use on auto. The manual options and increased flexibility of the A590 and LZ8 are "gravy" until you want more control, and my guess is you eventually will.

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports recently rated Panasonic (Lumix) the p+s camera brand with fewest malfunctions or repairs -- about half the problems of the next best brands. I own a Lumix LZ7 and in my experience it is obviously a better-built camera than any of the PowerShot A-series cameras I have owned. It is also childishly simple to use in "simple mode" (full automatic), yet it permits considerable flexibility when needed. The LZ8, its successor, is cheaper and in many ways better.
OldAmazonian answered on April 6, 2009
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
i own both a coolpix and a canon 590is. Both are good and reliable, but I'll take the canon over the nikon even though the nikon costs $200 more. Why? the canon is easier to use, has manual contols and a viewfinder, The nikon LCD is almost impossible to see in bright sunlight. However nikon photos are sharper especially when enlarged. Canon batteries last longer.
R. J. Morrisey answered on July 26, 2012
Comment (1) | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Great question and I too am eager to hear some ideas from others!
J. Duffy answered on March 30, 2009
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks. My only thought about the Canon A590IS is that I probably will not want to get involved in anything other than a full-auto camera, and therefore would it make sense to even consider the Canon A590IS? For myself, the simpler the better, and that being the case, I would probably tend to use the camera more often, though the Canon is such a good deal. Also, should I really be that concerned about the lens issue I have been reading about?
S. Grossman answered on April 6, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for your recommendation of the Panasonic Lumix LZ8. (Like others in this dialogue, I'm looking to replace a Nikon that was very disappointing.) It's been three years since your post, and I've noticed that it's hard now to find an LZ8. Is there a newer Panasonic you'd recommend with the same enthusiasm now? Thanks for your help.
Jeffery S. Slater answered on May 27, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am in the same boat, I loved my Powershot but ... I am trying NOT to buy a Canon because of terrible Customer Service I received when it got damp and the lens gasket dropped off. But my Coolpix takes awful pictures 80% of the time. I thought it was me but have since found out it's the camera. I will now look at the Lumix since my nephew also recommended it. Thanks
Momma answered on December 22, 2011
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›