Nikon D5000 12.3 MP DX Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens and 2.7-inch Vari-angle LCD
Used & New from: $295.00
Nikon D-5000 Autofocus Problem I have been using the camera for about 2 weeks now, and just this morning, I ran into a pretty big problem. When I tried to take some pictures, I found that the auto-focus was not working anymore. I have the lens set to AF-Automatic, and even went through the camera settings to reset the settings. I tried using different lens but still the same problem. When I press half-way down the shutter button, I see an "r13" message in the viewfinder, so I don't know if this is indicating anything.

Just the other day the camera was working fine, so I really don't know what happened overnight. BTW, my camera is not part of the recent re-call, so it shouldn't be related to it. Anyone have the same problem or have a solution? Thanks!
asked by Kak L. Kwong on December 11, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 answers
A
P. Das

i figured out how to fix it. i just press and hold the two info buttons for 2 seconds and it reset the system. one button is the one with the "i" on it ( below the magnify button), and the other button is the one near the power switch that says "info"

hope this solves your problem as well...
Kak L. Kwong answered on December 12, 2009
Comment | 11 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just bought a D5000 few hours ago and I have exactly similar issue. The focus hunts across the range and then stops. The shutter wont release thereafter. If I put AF-C mode then also the shutter doesnot work.
Live view focus works fine. In Manual mode the shutter release works fine.
I have tried to put the lens back couple of times to see if this is an issue with the contact problem, but that also doesnot do any good.
P. Das answered on December 12, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hey Guys,

I was experiencing the same problem and for me it actually turned out to be a VERY simple fix.

Look for a little "slider" button right beside your view finder. It will move up and down.

This controls the focus for the view finder. On mine, it was the reason things always seemed out of focus and as soon as I moved it down, everything worked perfectly.

Hopefully that helps.
S. Mclaren answered on August 10, 2011
Comment (1) | 7 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
P. Das

that is weird because i did the "hard reset" and that didn't solve the issue, but the "soft reset" did

anyways, sorry that your nikon didn't work out. hope you get it fixed
Kak L. Kwong answered on December 12, 2009

A
Hi i have a D5000, and the autofocus in moderately low light is pathetic! it keeps hunting across the focus range, but will not autofocus!
This has made me completely swear off Nikon (i have used Canon film and dslrs before, and this was my first Nikon.... sorry canon!!)
I am looking to replace the camera with the Canon 7d or 60d with a 17/55 f2.8 lens.
K. Mehra answered on November 19, 2010

A
Thanks KAK
I had done the hard reset as well & it didn't work. Then I read your post about the soft reset & like magic, its working again. I still think it prob needs to be looked at because I bought it as a factory refurb so I am wondering now what the issue was before. hmmmmm
MJ Nezzy answered on May 15, 2011

A
The software or soft boot "holding down (I) and (info)" worked for me also, but you may want to update your post to include: Camera should be on and that the screen will go blank for a couple of seconds.
Glad this worked because it is out of warrenty.
The hard reset did not work, nor did removing the battery.
WWJD answered on October 30, 2011

A
I just bought a D 500 and have the same problem described here. Did you take your camera to the service center, and were they able to fix the problem?
Lot 'o Mom answered on August 21, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Many thanks for this. Sorted out my problem.
Shipp answered on October 30, 2010

A
I too can't stand using autofocus on this camera in low light. It tries to focus, but can't, hunting across the range but never finding it. The other night, while taking some friends pictures, I finally had to give up and use the friends Canon to take the shot. An unimpressive camera.
D. Marchiando answered on January 30, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product