5.0 out of 5 stars Julie Adair King Does the Right Thing
Published on January 17, 2010 by Nucky

3.0 out of 5 stars served its purpose
it was easier to go on you tube tho HOWEVER it does teach you a few things but i hate to read
Published 3 months ago by Cassandra R.

5.0 out of 5 stars Julie Adair King Does the Right Thing, January 17, 2010
Nucky (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I purchased this book because I wanted an excellent guide for my Nikon D3000 camera that my brother gave me for Christmas. I highly commend this book because it is written in a format that is easy as pie for the novice. If you were a hermit and did not know what a DSLR was, this book would educate you immediately to the world of digital photography. This is how powerful the book is! I had no idea what the Command Dial represented on my Nikon D3000 because the supplied manual did not mention its purpose. Reading this book showed me the many uses for the Command Dial and I am so elated knowing how to navigate essential features with the Command Dial. Also, the supplied manual does not tell you how to adjust aperature and shutter speed, so, having "Nikon D3000 for Dummies" is a must! The large displays in the book showing you how to navigate the various menus is greatly appreciated. Thanks to Julie Adair King, I feel like a whole new world has been opened for me with my Nikon D3000 camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with the D3000 Digital Field Guide, March 7, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I first purchased the D3000 Field Guide by Thomas and found that almost half of the book was dedicated to general photography issues. The technical portion of the book was only fair and did not go into much detail (ie. in the manual mode it tells you how to change the shutter speed - move the Command Dial - but not the aperture). I was highly disappointed in the the book.

So I purchased the D3000 for Dummies and was amazed at the quality and amount of information it provides (ie. in the manual mode you have to hold down the exposure compensation button and then turn the Command Dial to change the aperture). The D3000 for Dummies hits all the basics and then goes well beyond the basics to really explain the potential of the D3000.

I would highly recommend the D3000 for Dummies.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Nikon D 3000 for Dummies" - excellent!, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been using a multifunction digital camera for about 10 years, but only printed out parts of the detailed manual, relying mostly on its 45 page booklet. For my new Nikon, I decided to start out with the Dummies guide, and have found it to be a tremendous help. I breezed through a lot of the topics that I knew, and learned a lot of other stuff that I didn't. The writing is clear, user friendly, and generously illustrated and cross-referenced. The layout progresses in a logical fashion, going from basic functions and point & shoot modes in the beginning, to more advanced functions in later chapters.
This book has comfortably walked me through some functions that I never used on my old camera, making what seemed like an overhelming number of functions more accessible than I expected. I highly recommend this book and this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential book to accompany your new D3000, February 23, 2010
Ryker94 (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I am new to digital photography and photography in general. After much research I decided to purchase the Nikon D3000. Upon making my purchase and pulling the camera out of the box, I was overwhelmed by all the knobs and buttons on the camera. The users guide which came with the camera really didn't do a good job at explaining what the buttons were actually for and didn't explain how to use them. I decided to purchase this book as well as a D3000 field manual (also form Amazon.com). I can honestly say I would be so lost with out this book. If you are going to buy just one book to help you understand the D3000 this one is it. The book is well written and explains everything this camera has to offer. I highly recommend purchasing this book if you want to learn how to use your new D3000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, December 21, 2009
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is a must have for all Nikon SLR users.
It supercedes the manufactures manual!
The book walks you through every facet of the great D-3000 camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped Me Get Right Into Photography, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
Rather than just thinking on the scale of the D3000, think of this book as a basic intro to photography book where everyone is following along using the same camera.

I recently bought to a D3000 as a start to a new hobby, and I knew very little about photography overall. After reading this book I now know the basics of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, flash settings, how to achieve certain effects in photos, the difference in prime and telephoto lenses, and more.

Using this book I feel like I was able to start getting much higher quality photos much more quickly than if I went about learning it on my own or using a general introduction book.

Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D3000 for Dummies, February 11, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
The Nikon D3000 came with a video and we had also purchased a very expensive book about DSLR cameras but this book for Dummies taught us more than the video and professional guidebook. It's pure, simple and right to the point and best of all, it's easy to understand. This is a great book at a great price. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the book, April 22, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
If your new to digital photogtaphy this is the book to start with. Easy to understand and fun to read. I am beginning to understand and enjoy my camera. I highly reccommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific manual, April 19, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
This "Dummies" book for the Nikon D3000 is fabulous. Lots of pictures and very easy to follow, good indexing so anything I need to find is very easy. Much better than the manual that comes with the camera on CD that needs to be printed if you want a hard copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't write many reviews but......, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Nikon D3000 For Dummies (Paperback)
What can I say? This book is all I wanted and more. This book addresses the major focus points of dslr photography but also hits on everything this camera is capable of doing. At times I did have to reread sections to make sure I got the complete understanding and I took some notes but lets be honest, this stuff can be complex sometimes. I am a new dslr user and this book breaks everything down. What I love most is that when the author is noting how shots can turn out differently based on settings she always has comparison shots to display difference. This I think is the most important accessory purchase for your camera. Good luck and have fun but remember that this book will help you reach the camera's potential. Thanks

Nikon D3000 For Dummies
Nikon D3000 For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Paperback - December 2, 2009)
$29.99 $21.52