Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Nikon D3100 vs D5100 Can anyone advise me which camera is better?
asked by R. Wiggins on July 15, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
Gatorowl answered on October 23, 2011
Comment | 10 of 11 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Well the D5100 cost more so it is a better camera. The main thing is the D5100 use the D7000 sensor, which is best in high ISO and lowlight over any other APS-C dslr (that include any canon like the T3i 60d, even 7D which all used the same old sensor). It has a swivel screen over the D3100. It is a little faster in continuous shooting at 4 fps vs 3 of the D3100, not really a big deal. Otherwise from the major reason here it is the same in a lot on most other specs.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/page22.asp
® answered on July 16, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
This was just the post I was looking for. My daughter has the D80 (I think) and wants to step up to more manual features, rather than simply point and shoot. Already familiar with Nikon layout - she selected the 3100 for her next step up but I was wondering what the differences were with the 5100. I agree with the swivel ability of the screen. She does a lot of self and group portraits that I think is needed for such situations. Anyhoo, I am glad I found you two talking about this.
Jim Gilmore answered on December 7, 2011
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Jim, just a suggestion, a 3100 is definitely not the right upgrade path. the D80 has way more manual controls than either a 3000 or 5000 series camera. Of the newer cameras the 7000 is the only one with more manual controls than a D80. I would suggest your daughter takes some classes and learns more about her camera. A D90 also has better controls than a D80, I have one and love it, but it is being phased out at this point and replaced with the D7000
Geoffrey Ricks answered on December 14, 2011
Comment | 4 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
what's about the D3000 vs D3100. Currently amazon has a package deal for the D3000, case and other stuff??
Lee G. answered on February 22, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product