Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Nikon D3100 vs. Canon T3 Which one, one should get as an entry-level camera if have to choose between Nikon D3100 and Canon T3. What are the pros and cons of the two.
Thank you.
asked by O. Siddique on March 13, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
S. Vogt answered on April 6, 2011
Comment | 33 of 34 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Jeffrey answered on March 17, 2011
Comment | 33 of 37 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Higher megapixels is seen by many as a disadvantage, because you are squeezing more dots into the same sensor size. Even the full frame Nikons like the D3S or the D700 (which blow away either the D3100 or the T3) have 12 megapixels. I just watched a video review which confirms that in high ISO low light shooting, you are better off with the T3's 12 megapixel sensor than the T3i's 18 megapixel sensor. You will get a cleaner image at 12 megapixels. For me, I want a camera that can shoot really clean images at ISO 800 or 1600 at night. That is most important to me.
Ralph answered on May 7, 2011
Comment | 15 of 15 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

For me major difference was Canon having ISO 100 - 6400 for shooting from bright to dim light whereas Nikon D3100 only has ISO up to 3200. That makes Canon a much better option as far picture clarity in dim light is concerned. I do agree that it is 12 mp but that's not too less compared to 14mp. Major CONS of canon do include 720mp video but if video isn't that important, i would stick with CANON..
Anil Kumar answered on April 26, 2011
Comment | 15 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

I'm thinking about buying new DSLR.. Nikon D3100 has been on top of the list and competing with Canon T3. Though, what matters to me is picture quality / colors / sharpness. I dont care much about video shooting as I can use my iphone when needed. My question is if anyone of you are professional photographer or has expirence dealing with both cameras.. which one would you buy? both are about at the same price. I need camera which can take nice outdoor pictures and perform better than point n shoot in low light (indoors).
SV USA answered on May 15, 2011
Comments (3) | 8 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

d3100 doesn't support auto-exposure bracketing, which makes HDR photography a nightmare. Even the t3 supports it ... not sure what nikon was thinking except to keep some features for their higher end cameras.
Lars answered on April 20, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Ended up buying canon T1i instead of T3... will be in my hands next week. Bought it from Walmart for 629. Amazon price was 709 for the same camera. Letting you guys know if anyone is interested in buying Canon T1i. it is a 15MP camera with 720p video at 30fps and 1080p with 20fps. I really don't care for video part but it was really good deal compared to what best buy or amazon was asking for same camera.
Anil Kumar answered on May 15, 2011
Comment | 6 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

besides the 1080p video i think this is the most significant difference.
Sean Jones answered on June 13, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Canon T3 is an AMAZING CAMERA, I would recommend everyone to buying it, ive had nikon before and im not as satisfied with it like i am with canon...
Ashley Pacheco answered on January 25, 2013
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

Thanks very much Jeffrey. Your views are very helpful.
O. Siddique answered on March 18, 2011
Comment | 3 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product