Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Nikon D40x vs. Canon Rebel XTi I'm looking into buying my first dSLR. Right now my choices are either the D40x or the Rebel XTi. Any recommendations?
asked by Y. Liu on November 6, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 answers
A
Just bought the D40x two weeks ago, and spent the weeks before that researching the D40x vs. the XTi.

I'd go with the D40x... you can't go wrong with a Nikon, and the kit lens that comes with the XTi is terrible. I bought the D40x, and have since added a few accessories. I feel like I made the right decision and I am totally thrilled with the purchase... No regrets at all. Plus, Nikon makes a longer-lasting camera.

D40x!!!
M. Metzler answered on November 8, 2007
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I found the XTi heavy and not great ergonomically. The viewfinder is dark compared to the D40x and while the XTi has more settings usually in this market range that doesn't mean much to the buyer. I love the D40x and with the kit lens and a 55-200 mm VR (which Amazon sells at a very reasonable price) lens it is all you will ever need.
Professor TK answered on November 14, 2007
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have been looking at these two as well and it seems pretty much a toss up. I have read some decent reviews touting both. It seems that the lack of an internal motor for AF is an issue with the Nikon, but it is 100 cheaper than the Canon.
M. Kelly answered on November 6, 2007
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
reveiws about the Canon Rebel point to underexposed pictures...is that a problem with Nikon as well..How well is the low light or night pictures in Nikon compared to Canon?
RB answered on November 23, 2007

A
I find that the D40X has a tendency to overexpose. Online reviews point out this as well. I typically set exposure compensation to -0.7. With that set (setting persists through power on/off) I rarely have overexposure problems.

I forgot that I had this set one time when I was shooting in a dark nightclub. The flash pics were spot on and the non-flash shots were very slightly underexposed. Both printed well.
Seth M. answered on December 25, 2007

A
If you are looking to take a lot of indoor photos with flash, the Canon XTi has a faster flash than the Nikon D40x. We tried the Nikon first since we were told of the better lenses that come standard, the ease of the menus, and more free stuff from the store where we purchased. We exchanged it for the Canon. We have young children that can be hard to catch in the moment when you are having to use the flash. I wasn't looking for all of the other things this type of camera has to offer...just to take fast, flash photos. The Canon wins that hands down.
Kelly Morgan answered on December 26, 2007

A
R. Vega answered on July 30, 2008

A
Hey M. Kelly, why do you say the Nikon is 100 cheaper? They seem to be $5 difference here on Amazon and the Rebel appears to be the one that is $5 less! Am I looking at the wrong camera?
Lee A. Brown answered on November 23, 2007
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am in the same boat. I am highly contemplating the d40/d40x and the Rebel xt/xti. Right now I am leaning towards the d40 as I don't plan on doing large size prints for the most part and I've heard that the Nikon lens kit is better. My only concern is that I want to do some HDR photography, and the Nikon's don't have AEB which concerns me, but I'm seeing a lot of discussion about shooting in RAW and getting similar results from one picture. Should I go with the XTi so I know I can do HDR properly and suffer with lower quality lenses, or get the D40/x and shoot in RAW and be done with it?
MallocArray answered on December 28, 2007

A
Hey, i just purchased the Nikon D60... i am thinking about exchanging it for the XTI for the same reason. the time to for the flash to "refresh" really makes it hard to catch the moment when flash is needed. Are you stil happy with your exchange? Can anyone comment on the reasons for the substantially slower flash in the Nikon D60 when compared to the canon XTI? Also, i heard that the Canon XTI is being taken out of the market and only the XSi will remain... is that true?
Luis Pichard answered on July 29, 2008
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product