2,049 of 2,085 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Review Written for Beginner Photographers
I am a photography teacher in NYC and online. (See my Amazon profile for my website.) I teach beginner and intermediate photography students every week. I've also been a professional photographer for the last five years with images published in The New York Times, GQ, New York Magazine, Women's Wear Daily, The New York Observer, The Village Voice and Time Out New...
Published on October 11, 2011 by jpullos

3.0 out of 5 stars Another one with focus problems
I had a D5100 and exchanged it for the D7000, which was back focusing, making many images (especially those at close range) soft. If the D7000 focused precisely out of the box, as it's supposed to, I would have kept it, since I liked all of the other features it has. All of my photos from the D5100 were sharp using the same lenses, so the lenses weren't the problem. I...
Published on July 11, 2011 by Mikey likes it

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars D7000 - Meets and maybe exceeds the D300 as a serious performance DX camera, October 25, 2010
Kay One (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
Pros: 1. 16.2 MP image sensor
2. weather sealing similar to the D300
3. AMAZING ISO range (100-6400) and lack of noise in low light
4. FAST burst speeds, up to 6 fps
5. 12&14 bit selectable RAW files
6. twin SD card slots
7. ergonomics identical to D90

Cons: 1. still unable to shoot 1080p video at 30 fps
2. RAW files not yet recognized by 3rd party software at time of this writing
3. still not weight balanced when using larger telephoto zoom lens
4. difficult to think of any real cons

Summary: Being a Nikon D90 user for the last year, I love the combination of ease of use, shooting power and image quality. However over time I quickly grew to learn and appreciate the performance limits (fps shooting, ISO range, 12 bit RAW files only) that are addressed by the more expensive and professional level D300.

Imagine to my shock when Nikon announced several months ago a successor to the D90, initially dubbed the D95 then finalized as the D7000. When the spec sheets were announced, my jaw dropped. Basically what we have is a camera that is priced between the pro-am D90 and pro D300 DX crop sensor cameras. While the D7000 clearly and unsurprisingly outclasses the very competent and capable D90 in nearly every respect, from image quality, shooting performance and video capabilities, whats more shocking is how it seems to match or even exceed the specs of the D300s (if youre taking video shooting capabilities into account).

I was lucky to pick up a preorder of the 18-105mm kit from a local store (body only was not available yet at the time of this writing) and with excitement I set about opening it up. Packaged very similar to the D90, the camera comes with the 18-105mm VR kit lens in a separate box and instruction manuals/software CD. A nice change is the battery charger which comes with the usual long cable, but also has a short outlet plug that allows the charger to mount directly to the wall, much like most compact P&S camera battery chargers.

Onto the camera itself. As I've mentioned before, users of the Nikon D90 should find this new camera very easy to use, as nearly all the buttons, menus and controls are identical. They changed the live view button to a spring loaded switch similar to the D3100 with a button that is used to start/stop video recording. I tested the video at 1080p/24 fps and like the previews state, it does continuous AF during the recording unlike previous Nikon HD video dSLRs, however with the built in mic, the AF is LOUD and you can hear it whirring constantly in the video playback. If you want to shoot some serious video you're better off getting the optional external stereo mic that fits in the hotshoe.

Now onto the camera shooting itself. Having the 100% viewfinder coverage is nice, since the 96% coverage on the D90 made for some errors in composition, allowing objects to creep into the edges of my previous shots that I couldn't see due to the incomplete coverage.

The new 39 point AF with 11 cross type AF points is amazingly fast, and you can set to single AF so it only does it once before you shoot, or continuous AF so it'll continue to seek out AF points while the shutter is half pressed.

Shooting speed is FAST on this camera, at a respectable 6 fps at max speed, although you'll need at least a class 10 SD card to acheive this, and it maybe slightly slowed choosing 14 over 12 bit NEF RAW files. Speaking of which, like the D300, 700 and D3, you can shoot 14 bit RAW files now where the D90 and lower end cameras allowed you to only shoot 12 bit RAW which made for inferior picture quality in the final images.

The dual SD card slots are a great feature and the camera gives you multiple options how you want to use these cards, I chose to set mine up as overflow, altho when I start to shoot video I may set up the 2nd card as video only instead.

Now my favorite aspect of this camera, is not, contrary to some, the increased 16.2 MP over the 12.6 MP of the D90/300 image sensor, but the amazing ISO range and low light sensitivity. The D90 had a range of 200-3200 but images became pretty unusable above 2400 without serious software PP NR. I did some nighttime and indoor low light test shooting of the D7000 with its 100-6400 range and found images that looks better at 4000 than the D90 did at 2000 ISO. At 5000 or above, the noise does start to become noticable, but this new sensor plus a good image stabilized lens makes for a powerful low light shooter in most situations. I've read subject user reviews from people who own the D300 and FX sensor D700 and say this camera gives the D300 serious pause and in fact, can compare image quality to the D700.

Something to think about.

Overall this is a fantastic camera for the price and probably the last DX sensor camera I will need for a long time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Back-focusing Problem Persists, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
There were many positive reviews about this camera in Amazon. Like many buyers I chose to ignore the negative reviews. My first purchase with the camera was the kit with 18-105mm lens. After hundreds of shots, only about 15% of them were sharp. I thought the problem were the lens. So, I returned the kit and bought a D7000 body, along with Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G micro and 85mm f/1.8G prime lenses.

After testing the new camera body with two new prime lenses, I discovered there was a serious back-focusing problem with the camera. The AF Fine Tuning feature in the camera is quite good. However, I needed to adjust -15 for the 105mm and -4 for the 85mm. Then again, the AF Fine Tuning does not solve all the focusing problems. Depending on the shooting distance, I would have to calibrate the AF again and again. So, the calibration is hit-and-miss.

Having trusted Nikon for 30 years, I believed I just had a bad batch twice in a row and I should still have a good chance of getting a good copy. So, I returned the camera again got another copy a few days later. To my dismay, same serious back-focusing problem still exist in the new camera. Then I did some digging in Amazon review (paying attention to the negative ones this time) and Googled more discussion forums to see if I am not alone. Sure enough, many people had reported the same problem dated back in July 2011.

So, I returned the camera again and decided not to try another one.

In all fairness, I like the features the camera offers. The body is very responsive. The AF accuracy with the LCD Live View is extremely high (though very slow). However, the Phase-Detect AF system is a complete disappointment.

The best thing I got out of this experience is the knowledge I gained from testing AF and fine tuning it. So much information is available on Amazon and photo forums on this subject. If you own a mid-range camera like D7000, you owe it to yourself to learn how to test and calibrate your camera with your lens collection. Based on my experience, having tried 3 copies without success, it's fair to me to give it a 1-star rating. A camera that cannot focus is not a usable camera on my book. I will probably wait for the new Nikon cameras coming out this fall (if rumors are right).

With this writing, I am hoping all the buyers of this camera (or any camera) thoroughly test their cameras AS SOON AS they receive them. Do not wait until 30 days pass and you have to send them back to Nikon for service. If you pay for a new precise instrument, you expect it to work out-of-box. I chose not to send a brand new camera to Nikon for calibration because it's brand new! Plus, some people have reported same focusing problem even AFTER Nikon service center told them their cameras have been repaired. I am glad I did not need to go through that.

Hope this is helpful. Your feedback is welcome. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Please read if you are comparing this camera to others!, July 28, 2012
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
If you are deciding on your first dslr camera, an ametuer photographer, or hobbyist, The Nikon d7000 should be the Perfect camera body for you. Yes, this is a very high-end consumer grade camera which has the same sensor as the Nikon d5100, but the layout of the settings, advanced capabilities, and user setting options will help you to understand how to effectively use a professional grade camera. As a professional photographer, I own several Nikon models such as the full frame Nikon d700 and often replicate the same image quality as my professional cameras. With that being said, its not always about the camera you use, the quality of the photographs you take depends on your knowledge of to properly use your instrument in different shooting situations.

Aside from learning the camera, the Nikon d7000 Can Definitely take professional quality pictures if you equip it with the proper lenses. Please research and gain an understanding of the difference between (fx) and (dx) lenses. If you are unsure about your future in the photography field or planning to upgrade to a full frame camera at some point in time, BUY (FX) LENSES FOR THIS CAMERA BODY. Although they are a bit more expensive than (dx) lenses, it will be extremely beneficial invest in an(fx) lens to prevent wasting your money on the same range of view on a professional model camera later on down the road. An (fx) lens on your d7000 will magnify the zoom on your content and also give you more sharp images. Directly investing in a higher quality lens may not be better for everyone's use of this camera, but can almotst guarantee to save you hundreds of dollars if you plan on upgrading to a full frame camera body. If not, you will still enjoy your camera with the smaller (dx) lenses.

SN# Some people mention a focus issue with this camera because they do not fully understand the camera. I have solved this problem with 75% of my assistant shooters by simply adjusting the viewfinder dial which is located directly on side of the eyepiece. If the viewfinder is not focused when you take the shot, it will not be focused when viewing it elsewhere.

Point blank, this is the best camera body availible from nikon around the $1000 price range and serves as a great back up camera to any professional model. If you must save up to buy this camera as your first DSLR, You Will Not Regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Large performance - small camera, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
Having been a long time nikon shooter, I really felt the move was toward full frame sensors. This camera shows how much image quality can still be wrung out of the dx format. I was really blown away with the color quality and crispness of the images. But as soon as I got my hands on it I was starting to feel this would be an ideal travel camera. It's small and pretty light. The big 3" monitor is the same as on my D3 and was state of the art when first introduced. Megapixels do matter and this camera gives you a lot of cropping ability. The high ISO ratings give you so much flexibility. Even at ISO 6400, pictures shot indoors allowed adequate shutter speeds to stop moving children. Unless blown up big, you are barely able to differentiate between pics shot at ISO 100 and ISO 6400. I am extremely happy with this camera at a modest price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this instead of D7100, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
I don't care what any review says. I owned this and then traded up for the D7100. Worst mistake. The D7100 is grainy (yes yes, b/c they removed the anti-alias to make things sharper. Grainy is NOT sharper, it's just grainy.). The D7000 is smooth and beautiful. I miss the D7000 every single day. Easier to use too. Better setup, better dials, better everything. Sure the D7100 has better specs et al, but in real life the D7000 is fantastic. I am a professional photographer. I don't believe in spending $6000 dollars on a camera body because 5 years ago the D7000, for instance, would've cost $6000. It's all a game to keep us buying new cameras every year. The top camera 5 years ago used to shoot fashion is still just as good as it was 5 years ago. And looking at fashion magazines now I don't say, my goodness the cameras they use are so much better! Can't you just see how much better the photo is? That's my rant. My review is: Buy the D7000 and skip the D7100.

5.0 out of 5 stars D7000 vs. D300, December 21, 2010
B. Mitchell "bem202" (Stone Mountain, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
I upgraded from the D300 to the D7000. I'll say at the onset that the D7000 represents a significant upgrade from the D300. The first thing that impressed me was the D7000's ability to focus in near darkness. I was astonished by this and wasn't expecting it. But the most impressive aspect of the camera is its dynamic range. Shots that would have been blown out on the D300 are not so on the D7000. This feature is reminiscent of film cameras. The other major benefit is the D7000's truer color rendering. This saves a lot of time in post processing. The D7000 is also whisper quiet. Of course, the build quality is much better on the D300 and for me, the ergonomics are better. I didn't think I'd appreciate the lighter camera body of the D7000, but after using it only once in the field, I like it. One pain in the neck is that it is easy to accidentally move the setting on the mode dial. Nikon should have designed it so that settings could be locked in place. I haven't gotten into video, so I'm not able to speak to it on the D7000.

The D7000 won't make me a better photographer, per se, but it's nice to have better tools that save time and allow me to capture images that I couldn't have done with the D300. In a nutshell, the D7000 represents a paradigm shift in what a prosumer camera can achieve. If you're sitting on the fence and wondering if you should upgrade to the D7000, just do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed. DON'T FEAR the focus! An excellent choice for the learning photographer., January 1, 2013
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
I have to admit, after researching this camera I was nervous about purchasing this due to the many posts about focus issues, but after 1.5 years of using a d5100, I found that I really needed more accessible control to get to the next level. I have a large investment in Nikon DX lenses so getting an FX camera was just not an option. The new D600 has the ability to shoot DX, but it is far from ideal and the cost of the D600 body was out of my price range. I also really have no need for a full frame, the cropped frame provides me with excellent photos. When the price of the D7000 dropped to below $900 and with Amazon's awesome customer service, I knew it was time to buy. If there was indeed a problem, I knew I could return it.

FIRST IMPRESSION: Upon opening the box, I knew that this was exactly what I was looking for. Although a little larger than my 5100, the buttons and dials and top display screen is leaps and bounds better than the 5100. Finally...no menu-digging to adjust settings! I charged up the battery and started shooting. My first set of shots were taken with all the default settings in AUTO mode. The result? All of the photos were soft. Disappointment. Could I have gotten one of the "bad" cameras? I wasn't ready to say that yet, besides, many photo gurus have touted the amazing quality of this camera. I picked up David Bush's Guide to the d7000 and learned a bit on HOW the d7000 Autofocus actually works. With a few changes to the settings and a bit more insight into the autofocus system, I was shooting tack-sharp photos within an hour.

DEFAULT SETTING CHANGES: The first thing you should do when you get this camera is change the JPEG image quality form NORM to FINE. Then turn OFF the Hi ISO NR (noise reduction), which is degrades the detail in your shots in order to reduce noise, creating a softer image. I choose to set the dynamic-area AF to 21 point which will help with speed (although I have to say this camera's focus speed is phenomenal compared to the 5100). Use AF-C or AF-S. This camera has 3 autofocus modes - AF-A, AF-S and AF-C. I found that when I use AF-A, I tend to get more soft shots. Once I move to AF-S or AF-C, my photos become beautifully sharp.

Finally, you really need to have a grasp of how your aperture affects you DOF (depth of field). Using a larger aperture produces a very small DOF. If you are relying on the camera to make these decisions for you, you may not get the shot you are looking for. The camera may be smart for getting the correct exposure, but it doesn't know what you are thinking! A good rule of thumb is to use at least f/5.6 - f/8 for portraits and make sure your focus point(s) are set on the eyes. Set focus, lock and recompose if needed. You will notice a significant difference in the clarity of your photos. Finally, use a decent lens!!! My Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 is a solid performer on this body.

MY RECOMMENDATION: I am by no means a "professional", but I do have a working knowledge of how to use a dslr. If you are looking for a camera that you pull out of the box and expect perfect shots while set in automode, this camera is not for you...you are better off investing in a high end point and shoot. If you know something about ISO, Shutter, Aperture, AF-S, AF-C, Metering and plan on growing that knowledge and want to rely on your ability instead of the camera, the d7000 is a gem at a great price. If you want something in-between, consider the d3100 or the d5100. Both of which are less expensive and are solid performers. The d7000 is the perfect answer for those looking for easy access and control over their images.

MY OPINION: While I'm sure there are d7000s out there that do indeed have a focus problem, I'm pretty sure that many of the complaints may be due to not taking the time to truly understand the camera and how it works. While the autofocus is awesome, it is NOT perfect and requires the person to take control, which is the point of buying a dslr anyway, isn't it? Just because it costs more doesn't mean it should excel at being a point and shoot!

THE BOTTOM LINE: Don't be afraid of buying this camera because of the publicized "focus" issues.

****UPDATE****
I've had this camera for well over a month now and I can't tell you how ecstatic I am with it. After getting comfortable with the camera and its controls, and learning all the sweet-spots on my lenses, I feel that this camera has pushed me to the next level in my photography journey. I have been able to produce tack sharp image after tack sharp image. I'm finding that I'm doing much less editing with this camera than I had with my 5100. I think this is partially due to the camera and partially due to learning more and having the ability to easily control manual settings. This camera will serve me for many years to come!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Nikon DX to Date ! ... and Nikon D7000 vs Canon 60D, January 20, 2011
Emil "Emil" (Matawan, NJ, United States) - See all my reviews
*** Updated 03 FEB 2011 ***
1. I am very happy I chose this camera: I am just an amateur, and always wanted a Nikon DSLR (this is my first) ... because I had very good experience with Nikon Film SLR's (I have a Nikon F4) and lenses. Also, though I cannot speak for others, the issues referred to as "1" and "2" bellow do not bother me too much.
1. It looks like now the price is right - Cameta Camera sells over the Net, but also has a store in Amityville (Long Island) NY.
2. The Feb 2011 issue of Popular Magazine tested and compared the Nikon D7000 with the Canon 60D. The reviewers found that the 60D does a little better when it comes to noise suppression: "... despite the extra megapixels, the 60D scored a Low or better rating from ISO 100 through ISO 800, and didn't reach an Unacceptable rating until ISO 6400, while the D7000 did so at ISO 3200". With respect to autofocusing abilities,"once we turned the lights down through EV 2 (think a dimly lit interior), the Canon took a stronger lead, focusing in 0.59 sec, versus the Nikon 0.76 sec" ... the Canon managed to focus in just over 1 sec in the very dim light of EV -2, where the D7000 couldn't make it".
3. I do not wish to question the reviewer's findings, but, I ask: What lenses where used in the test, in other words, what, exactly where the experimental conditions ? Where they identical, while only the bodies where different ? I could autofocus the D7000 with a Nikkor 35mm/f1.8 in less than 1 sec in a very poorly lit room (sorry, I cannot quantitate ...). By the way, while Nikon makes a 35mm/f1.8 lens, Canon makes s 35mm/f2, so ...
4. My only real gripe with the D7000 vs the 60D is the absence of a movable LCD and the absence of 1080p/30fps, though I believe these features may be more useful when shooting video ... unless the sun light is reflects too much by the LCD ... but, I seldom shoot video. Had I wanted a fast focusing DSLR for video, I would have chosen the Sony Alpha 55 (fixed semi-transparent mirror -> faster autofocus).
5. I do not read Ken Rockwell's reviews as if they were a Gospel ... that must be trusted (taken "ad literam"), but I often find valuable informations on his website, which I corroborate with informations from other source, some in English, some in other languages.
6. Some noticed the Nikon D7000 is equipped with a Sony IMX071 sensor. True, but Panasonic (which makes its own sensors) uses Leica lenses ... A Nikon is still a Nikon, and Nikon lenses are Nikon lenses.

*** Original Review 20 JAN 2011 ***
I shall be brief, since lots of details are generously offered by other reviewers on Amazon and other websites.
I recently bought the Nikon D7000 and two lenses.

- The Nikon D7000 is an outstanding camera, it beats all Nikon DX's to date, including the Nikon D300s. IMO,in terms of design, features, ability to customize, and image quality it also beats many Canon DSLR's equipped with a sensor of about the same size. Of course, Canon offers a rotating LCD and 18 MP, but I seldom use the LCD for composition, and 18 MP is not much different than 16.2 MP, right ?! We should also remind ourselves that the Nikon APS-C (DX) sensor is slightly larger than the Canon APS-C sensor: 370 mm2 vs 329mm2 (864 mm2 is the area of "a full-size" sensor). Nevertheless, Nikon still loses to Canon when it comes to Point-and-Shoot and Bridge cameras.

- I tested my new D7000 with a prime lens, the Nikkor 35mm/f1.8 and with a zoom, the Nikkor 18-200mm. I also tested the "fill-in" capabilities with two external Nikon SB units: SB-400 and SB-600. Image quality (wealth of details, sharpness, color rendition), performance, design, ergonomics, usability, fill-n flash - it's a pleasure to shoot with this camera.
- I loaded one of the two compartments with a 16GB San Disk Class 10 for stills (more important when shooting in burst mode), and the other with a 16GB San Disk Class 6 for video (enough even when shooting HD).

- Given the fact Nikon also comes with the excellent Nikkor Lenses, and also the best Flash system (the SB series), the Nikon D7000 offers excellent value for the price. I have not shot video yet, only photos, and compared with the Nikon 300s with a 35mm/f1.8 and with the Canon 60D with 35mm/f2.0, both owned by friends of mine.

- A long and very good in-depth review of the Nikon D7000 is available from the knowledgeable Ken Rockwell - see his website.

- Just buy this camera NEW, when available from Amazon, or from a reputable store promoted by Amazon (not from "these sellers"), at the right price, $1199.95, i.e. $1200. Buy it "body-only", and chose good lenses, because a good camera deserves good lenses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera - Questionable quality control from Nikon, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only) (Camera)
Firstly, I have to say that I am very impressed with Amazon's customer service.

I have been buying from Amazon for several years, but never had to call customer service or return anything until my D7000 purchase. I am very impressed with the ease and transparency of the return process. This is what all online retailers should strive to achieve.

Background - I've used a D90 with a Nikon 18-200 lens extensively, and found the results to be excellent.

Now regarding the D7000.

I purchased the D7000 body with a Nikon 18-200 lens. As soon as I began to take pictures I noticed that the focus was a bit off and the colors seem to appear washed out and bland. I tried the camera in bright sunlight, indoors - low light, room lighting, flash etc, nothing seemed to help. I read the manual from cover to cover, and for the longest time, I assumed that I was doing something wrong. For about 2 weeks, I systematically changed and reset various controls, sharpness settings, white balance etc nothing seemed to help. Finally began to search the online reviews and forums, and found that this seemed to be a problem with certain units and it seems that Nikon has been slipping on quality control.

Incidentally, I came upon a Wolf Camera store while traveling through Sarasota FL and had a chance to speak with the sales people and play with the display until in the shop. I immediately realized that I had a bad until, and my experience was not necessarily a problem with D7000 model in general.

I returned bad D7000 to Amazon and purchased another D7000. This second unit performs flawlessly. I am very impressed with the camera and features. Exploring and learning to use all the capabilities will be journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars D7000 video is outstanding, September 1, 2011
A. Mann "gadget maven" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:16 Mins

This review is for the video capabilities of the D7000 ONLY.

As you can see in the attached video to this review, the quality of the video is stellar. It's as though I have a $20,000 video camera that I can use around the house. The best part is being able to use depth of field to create truly cinema-like movies.

The audio sensitivity level on my D7000 had to be turned to LOW, however, otherwise all audio-- onboard thru external mics-- was distorted badly. This is easily adjusted using the LCD menu. Also, the focus takes a bit to do its job, which is a pain if you're trying to use autofocus to quickly adjust between different objects at varying distances from the camera. This is the only real complaint I have about shooting video with the D7000. However, if focus remains constant throughout the scene, you're fine.

I highly recommend using an external mic. For the attached video to this review I used a Sennheiser ME66.

‹ Previous | 1 2 362 | Next ›

Nikon D7000 DSLR (Body Only)
$899.95 $549.00