5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new D7000 owners
I had a D40 before receiving the D7000 as a gift. The D40 is an entry level camera and very easy to use. The D7000 is mid-level and is so customizable that I would become overwhelmed every time I tried to read a couple of pages of the owner's manual.

Published on April 6, 2011 by raviendha

3.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D7000 For Dummies
It's okay, provided more than I knew before, but did not blow up my skirt. Could have been more informative, but that seems to be the way for the dummy books. Good but not worth the price in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Published 13 months ago by A Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new D7000 owners, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)

I could not decide between this book and Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide. Each of these books received mixed reviews here on Amazon so I bought them both when the price was right. I read a few pages of the Field Guide, and while it was good information, I kept coming back to the Dummies book. It breaks the information down into manageable sections.

I really like how this Dummies book starts with a very high level overview. It goes over all the controls & menus on the D7000 giving a brief explanation of what each one is for. At the same time it tells where in the book to go for more details. For example, it shows how to set your white balance and gives a very short description of what the white balance is. It then tells you which chapter to go to learn more about white balance. I can see myself referencing this book a lot while I am learning about photography and my new camera. This book would be too basic for someone already familiar with photography - the owner's manual is best in that situation. But, this is called Nikon D7000 for Dummies... it is not for the advanced user but for the newbies like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Helpful Book!, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
While I'm no stranger to higher end SLR cameras, the purchase of a Nikon D7000 was my first foray into a higher end digital SLR (dSLR). I've been using a Nikon D40x for the past 3+ years and jumped at the chance to add multiple still features plus video to my picture taking options by getting the D7000.

When it arrived, I was a little intimidated. There were multiple options for features that I knew little or nothing about. The manual itself was a bit overpowering as well. I really didn't use the new camera all that much but then I found Nikon D7000 for Dummies.

The book is well laid out and offers a nice mix of camera terminology, photographic basics and then more technical information related to the D7000's various options. The fundamental material served as a good refresher then the book moved into the many options that the camera has to offer and a good description of each one. While the discussions are somewhat technical at times, they are done so in a way that makes sense and should not be overwhelming to even the first time dSLR owner.

The book goes through the various operating levels of the camera from the beginning "point & shoot" modes right up through total Manual operation. Each of these shooting options is laid out in detail including which options can be controlled and which ones are fixed as a feature of the shooting mode the camera is in. What I found to be particularly helpful were the sections on the various focusing and metering options. The D7000 has a rather sophisticated 39-point focusing option that is explained very clearly and the author even gives some suggestions for which option or options to use in certain situations. The metering variables are similar and treated in a similar manner.

Bottom line is this... if you are going to invest in a higher end dSLR like the D7000, the extra dollars that you spend on this book will be well worth it. Quite frankly, a copy of this book would better serve the camera purchasers than the included owner's manual. So get your new camera and a copy of this book. Head outdoors on your front porch or back patio and begin reading. Don't hesitate to try the various options outlined in the book and see how they work. Above all else, have fun and take better pictures with your D7000 along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars learn your D7000 FAST, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is great for people who are new to photography and professionals who are new to the D7000. You don't need any photography background knowledge to read this book and learn everything there is to know about your Nikon D7000. Before purchasing my D7000 I was a point and shoot kind of girl. I decided to upgrade... big time. Though intimidating at first, the D7000 is actually quite user friendly once you gain a basic knowledge of the features and their purposes. Nikon D7000 For Dummies will help you do just that. It lays it all out for you in well organized sections. The book is great to read from cover to cover with your camera by your side for hands-on training. It's also great to use as a quick reference guide when you need to know something on the fly. In order to get really comfortable and confident with your D7000 you have to spend hours practicing. I do this around my house and yard with Nikon D7000 For Dummies by my side. I may not be a pro just yet, but I have learned so much and continue to learn more every time I shoot. This book has helped me hit the ground running. Instead of shooting in full auto I can actually hold my own with the controls and put out some professional looking photos, thanks to this book. I haven't tried the competition book... the Field Guide something or other, but I'm quite content with the Dummies book and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm No Dummy!, August 24, 2011
Book Carpenter (Catskill Mountains, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I tend to avoid books in this series because I'm too embarrassed to bring them to the register. This is one of the few items I did not buy from Amazon, but from an actual book store, so I was able to compare several books on the D7000. If you are reading this review, then you either have a D7000, or are thinking about getting one. Since I bought this book after perusing several, you can draw the conclusion that I thought it was the best buy, and you would be right.

The D7000 has about forty buttons/controls, so there is quite a bit to know if you want to shoot anything but full automatic. I knew from past experience that the Nikon owner's manual would be virtually worthless, so I wanted a real guide. This Dummies book, by Julie Adair King, has loads of information, and it is presented in a way that is easy to understand and follow.

There is a good Table of Contents and a detailed Index, so finding what I am looking for is easy. The text is large and clear, and there are many color photos of the camera and controls. The author goes through all the controls, explaining why you would want to change them and how to make those changes. In addition to explaining how the controls work, the author also adds tips of her own, recommending one setting over another and giving the reasons for her choice.

After spending a couple of evenings with this book and my camera, I can now use the controls with confidence. The camera can do so much more when you switch it off Automatic.

Tip #1: Using the camera on a regular basis will help you remember how everything works.
Tip #2: Sit down with the camera, the book, and pad and pen (or computer) and make notes for yourself on how to operate everything. Doing this will help you to understand it better, and you will have notes to refer to later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third Time is a Charm, August 4, 2012
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I am the proud new owner of a Nikon D7000. Although not a newcomer to SLR's, I had no experience with a digital SLR and was searching for a better understanding than that provided in the owner's manual. My first purchase was the book by Darrell Young, and the second was by David Busch; both are excellent and detailed. For me however, I needed this book for "Dummies" and wish I had tried it first before delving into the theory of DSLR's and intricacies of the D7000. I am sure the other two books will expand my understanding and abilities when using this camera, but I would highly recommend starting with this book first, unless you are an experienced digital Nikon camera user.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can Learn a LOT From a Dummy - the Dummy Series, That Is!, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
You can learn a lot from any of the Dummies series. If you own or are interested in using a Nikon D7000 camera, then make this book your best friend. It will walk you through the steps of how to use your camera and what some of the features are. You can even learn to add multiple still features as well as video!

You get with this a nod to your intelligence as the authors write in a way that invites learning. The information in this book is extremely well presented and you get a bird's eye view of the D7000's features and options. With this book you also get a refresher course which segues into more complex terminology and features/functions.

You move up the grades as you learn about each operating level from the basic aim and film to graduating at the manual level. I like the way the metering options were presented and explained. You even get helpful tips on which options you want to use in various photographic conditions.

You can learn a lot from a dummy...a dummies series that is. This book is a wise investment for those who are serious about learning to use this camera and other mid-higher level cameras with a multitude of features and functions. Definitely a must have!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D7000 For Dummies, July 30, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Book, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
I recently purchased the D7000 camera and was amazed at how much the camera does and how much I needed to learn to be able to get the full benefit of such an awesome camera. So, I searched for books and found this one. It walked me through some of the more challenging settings with clear step-by-step explanations and color photo's showing where to find the settings on the camera. Couldn't ask for anything more, very clear and easy to follow and understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D7000 for Dummies, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
Good reference book for browsing for forgotten information. It supplements the Nikon Instructional Manual provided and expands explanations in easily understood terminology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Making Everything Easier!, March 8, 2012
Mary H. Gamble (California and Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D7000 For Dummies (Paperback)
One can never go wrong when using a "Dummies" book. Just as true with other "Dummies" books, the Nikon D7000 book is clear, concise, and informative, presented in a logical order. The table of contents is quite expanded and the index provides a lot of entries to find something quickly. The author provides good photos, charts and useful diagrams. You will want your camera in hand to follow along. The icons used throughout the book are very helpful, especially the "Tips" "Remember" and "Warning" notations.
The book is beneficial to those new to photography as well as the more experienced person simply wanting to know about specific functions of the D7000. Moving along from basic to more advanced, one will find the "Creative Control" chapter opening up to more possibilities with the D7000. The book adds ten fun challenges in the retouch menu and 10 challenges for a rainy day. This is a good teaching tool as well as a good reference guide when needing to research information.

Nikon D7000 For Dummies
Nikon D7000 For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Paperback - February 1, 2011)
$29.99 $20.09