Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on April 6, 2011
I had a D40 before receiving the D7000 as a gift. The D40 is an entry level camera and very easy to use. The D7000 is mid-level and is so customizable that I would become overwhelmed every time I tried to read a couple of pages of the owner's manual.

I could not decide between this book and Nikon D7000 Digital Field Guide. Each of these books received mixed reviews here on Amazon so I bought them both when the price was right. I read a few pages of the Field Guide, and while it was good information, I kept coming back to the Dummies book. It breaks the information down into manageable sections.

I really like how this Dummies book starts with a very high level overview. It goes over all the controls & menus on the D7000 giving a brief explanation of what each one is for. At the same time it tells where in the book to go for more details. For example, it shows how to set your white balance and gives a very short description of what the white balance is. It then tells you which chapter to go to learn more about white balance. I can see myself referencing this book a lot while I am learning about photography and my new camera. This book would be too basic for someone already familiar with photography - the owner's manual is best in that situation. But, this is called Nikon D7000 for Dummies... it is not for the advanced user but for the newbies like me.
11 comment|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2011
While I'm no stranger to higher end SLR cameras, the purchase of a Nikon D7000 was my first foray into a higher end digital SLR (dSLR). I've been using a Nikon D40x for the past 3+ years and jumped at the chance to add multiple still features plus video to my picture taking options by getting the D7000.

When it arrived, I was a little intimidated. There were multiple options for features that I knew little or nothing about. The manual itself was a bit overpowering as well. I really didn't use the new camera all that much but then I found Nikon D7000 for Dummies.

The book is well laid out and offers a nice mix of camera terminology, photographic basics and then more technical information related to the D7000's various options. The fundamental material served as a good refresher then the book moved into the many options that the camera has to offer and a good description of each one. While the discussions are somewhat technical at times, they are done so in a way that makes sense and should not be overwhelming to even the first time dSLR owner.

The book goes through the various operating levels of the camera from the beginning "point & shoot" modes right up through total Manual operation. Each of these shooting options is laid out in detail including which options can be controlled and which ones are fixed as a feature of the shooting mode the camera is in. What I found to be particularly helpful were the sections on the various focusing and metering options. The D7000 has a rather sophisticated 39-point focusing option that is explained very clearly and the author even gives some suggestions for which option or options to use in certain situations. The metering variables are similar and treated in a similar manner.

Bottom line is this... if you are going to invest in a higher end dSLR like the D7000, the extra dollars that you spend on this book will be well worth it. Quite frankly, a copy of this book would better serve the camera purchasers than the included owner's manual. So get your new camera and a copy of this book. Head outdoors on your front porch or back patio and begin reading. Don't hesitate to try the various options outlined in the book and see how they work. Above all else, have fun and take better pictures with your D7000 along the way.
on January 27, 2011
It has been years since I've reviewed a book here, but I feel compelled to review this one. I read this book cover to cover in two days, during a vacation, and my photos as well as my understanding of photographic concepts and technique improved dramatically as a result.

I have a feeling most people who have recently purchased a Nikon D7000 are upgrading from another camera. I moved up from a D50 that served us well, but as photography is becoming a hobby, I wanted a more serious camera. If you've even glanced at the Nikon D7000 manual, you know it is largely unreadable and completely devoid of descriptions of practical applications for the functionality it covers. This book is just the opposite: it is a perfect APPLIED how-to for the Nikon D7000.

The author is an excellent photographer and a very good writer. He makes complex photographic concepts easy to understand. He demonstrates his lessons with great photographs, providing EXIF data, as well the story and the lesson behind each photo in the captions.

The first few chapters of this book cover photography basics like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. and specifically how to manage them with the D7000. Then, he dives into the applications: there are chapters on portraits, landscapes, and motion photography -- all within the context of the D7000.

For those readers who want to learn about photography with their D7000, and get more serious about their photographic journey, this is the book for you. If you are an high-level intermediate photographer, and certainly if you are an advanced photographer, this is probably not the book you should be buying. This book teach good photography through the viewfinder of the D7000.

For me, it was the perfect book at the perfect time -- as I am becoming more serious about the art and science of digital SLR photography with my D7000.
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2011
This book is great for people who are new to photography and professionals who are new to the D7000. You don't need any photography background knowledge to read this book and learn everything there is to know about your Nikon D7000. Before purchasing my D7000 I was a point and shoot kind of girl. I decided to upgrade... big time. Though intimidating at first, the D7000 is actually quite user friendly once you gain a basic knowledge of the features and their purposes. Nikon D7000 For Dummies will help you do just that. It lays it all out for you in well organized sections. The book is great to read from cover to cover with your camera by your side for hands-on training. It's also great to use as a quick reference guide when you need to know something on the fly. In order to get really comfortable and confident with your D7000 you have to spend hours practicing. I do this around my house and yard with Nikon D7000 For Dummies by my side. I may not be a pro just yet, but I have learned so much and continue to learn more every time I shoot. This book has helped me hit the ground running. Instead of shooting in full auto I can actually hold my own with the controls and put out some professional looking photos, thanks to this book. I haven't tried the competition book... the Field Guide something or other, but I'm quite content with the Dummies book and I would recommend it to anyone.
on August 24, 2011
I tend to avoid books in this series because I'm too embarrassed to bring them to the register. This is one of the few items I did not buy from Amazon, but from an actual book store, so I was able to compare several books on the D7000. If you are reading this review, then you either have a D7000, or are thinking about getting one. Since I bought this book after perusing several, you can draw the conclusion that I thought it was the best buy, and you would be right.

The D7000 has about forty buttons/controls, so there is quite a bit to know if you want to shoot anything but full automatic. I knew from past experience that the Nikon owner's manual would be virtually worthless, so I wanted a real guide. This Dummies book, by Julie Adair King, has loads of information, and it is presented in a way that is easy to understand and follow.

There is a good Table of Contents and a detailed Index, so finding what I am looking for is easy. The text is large and clear, and there are many color photos of the camera and controls. The author goes through all the controls, explaining why you would want to change them and how to make those changes. In addition to explaining how the controls work, the author also adds tips of her own, recommending one setting over another and giving the reasons for her choice.

After spending a couple of evenings with this book and my camera, I can now use the controls with confidence. The camera can do so much more when you switch it off Automatic.

Tip #1: Using the camera on a regular basis will help you remember how everything works.
Tip #2: Sit down with the camera, the book, and pad and pen (or computer) and make notes for yourself on how to operate everything. Doing this will help you to understand it better, and you will have notes to refer to later.
44 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2011
As a somewhat serious amateur, I looked to upgrading from my Nikon D70, on which I began my adventures in digital photography, to the D7000. It's quite a leap! The manual which comes with the camera is good in that it explains every feature, one by one. John Batdorff's book spends time on how to use the features, from basic to advanced, and he references the appropriate pages of the Nikon camera manual. I found it quite helpful and well worth the cost.
HMS
on February 3, 2011
My main reason reading this book is to learn other Nikon D7000 menu control settings which I may have missed because I am too lazy reading the Nikon manual. It's like going back to basic for me, even though I use full manual mode settings to almost all of my photography these past six months. And indeed I was rewarded to know some more from this book than reading the boring Nikon manual alone.

This book (kindle pc edition) explains briefly and to the point essential elements of Nikon D7000 and to a large extent, a mini course on basic photography. It walks you through the process of taking good pictures with corresponding camera settings to choose from, carefully advising the reader to try this and other settings, as well as giving thoughtful advise when to use a tripod for slow shutter speed in order to get perfect exposure. I just finished a short basic and advance classroom course on photography and learnt that this author is telling all the right stuff a beginner to serious amateur ought to know. Experienced photographers don't need this guide but for a beginner, this well-thought and careful advise is helpful enough and time saver that is worth the money than investing in more advanced and complex books on photography.

The Nikon manual book alone will not tell you which value settings or f/stop to use for particular shots (action sport, nightscape, etc.) but this author, if the reader pays attention well, is spot on his intention to get his message through.

The manual book is such a bore that it fails to capture my attention (sorry, it's just me). But this book is interesting read for me. By spending a little time and money on this book, the avid enthusiasts will greatly expand his skills on using his/her D7000 and thus, cherished all the crisp and vivid photographs he/she will have taken for years to come.

Bryan Peterson's book on Understanding Exposure, 3rd edition (which I am also reading) is a must read book for beginner to serious amateur as well. But that is altogether a different approach which should not be confused with this Nikon D7000 whose primary aim is to familiarize the novice on the control functions of this great Nikon camera and supplement the manufacturer's manual.

I wish there were Nikon D7000 cameras and then this neat little book back in year 2000!
on February 25, 2011
I was a bit disappointed in this book.

If you were new to digital photography and spent this much money on your first camera, then this is a potentially-good book for you.

But I suspect there are few people in that category.

For anyone that is already somewhat familiar with digital photography and upgraded or otherwise replaced their camera with a D7000, this spends too much time on ideas about taking pictures, and not enough providing insights into the particular tool you've bought.

Let's pick one area out of many as an example: The D7000 offers a confusing myriad focus modes, and separate sets for photos and videos. This book provides discussion about using DOF. But when it comes to whether 3D area mode works with sports v.s. AF-A 39 point ... it stops as soon as it gets to the real meat. I've tried 3D and can't get it to work worth a darn with moving subjects, which is supposedly its raison d'être. If 3D is good for motion, why didn't Nikon use it in Sports mode? Did I do something wrong, or is it right for other applications? You won't find out from this book.

I got the Kindle edition, and this shows both the strengths and weaknesses of the Kindle. Great for searching, but the photos -- although available in color if you read on a PC instead of a Kindle reader -- can be zoomed, and the text readily read.
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2011
I upgraded from a d80 (and a 35mm SLR before that) and was looking for a book to delve into the features of the d7000 to help me get the most out of my new camera. This is not that book. It mostly contains general photographic advice: keep ISO low to reduce noise, large aperture = shallow depth of field, the rule of thirds, aperture vs shutter priority modes, use a tripod for long exposures, etc. If you've used another SLR before, then you probably already know all of this stuff.

The information on the scene modes doesn't go much beyond what's in the Nikon manual. I counted two paragraphs on Live View. There's only a little more than two pages describing *all* of the auto-focus modes available on the camera. In fact, I found the manual (and Nikon's webpages) to be much more useful for describing these auto-focus modes.

However, the thing that put me off the most from this book is that many of the photos don't even seem to have been taken with a d7000 (there are summer photos at a rodeo, winter photos in Chicago, and photos from India and Machu Picchu--the d7000 hasn't been around long enough to get in all of those seasons). Not that the photos aren't nice--as examples of general photographic ideas--but they don't have anything do to with the d7000. In fact, some of the example photos seem to have been photoshopped to simulate the effect the author was trying to describe instead of shooting real examples of the effects. For example, on p. 154 there are two photos of a group of children supposedly taken with different lenses (or one lens zoomed between exposures). However, the positions of the background children are absolutely *identical* in both images. I don't see how it would have been possible to change lenses (or even zoom) without someone moving at least a tiny bit. I wonder if photoshop's distortion filters may have more to do with these images than the choice of lenses...
on March 24, 2011
I bought this shortly after purchasing the D7000. I have to say, I was afraid I'd be overwhelmed by a lot of terminology that is still very new to me. I am a first-time DSLR buyer, so things like EV settings, as well as some of the new (excellent) features were a bit intimidating at first.

This book lays things out in a very easy to digest format. It is NOT a replacement for your owner's manual. As the author himself says, the manual tells you HOW to do certain things. This book tells you WHEN and WHY you'd want to access those settings.

Highly recommended!