Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on July 1, 2008
This reference card-set measures approx. 5-3/4 by 4-1/4 inches. It is laminated in such a way that the four cards (eight panels in all) fold into a single card. Therefore it fits nicely in the slim "back pocket" found on many camera bags.

Blue Crane has included virtually all the important information found in Nikon's excellent-but-chunky owner's manual. It is organized into seven color-coded sections (one per card): "Viewfinder, Control Panel, Monitor", "Focus, Shooting Modes, Self-timer", "Flash, Mode Dial, Functions", "White Balance, ISO, Image Size/Quality", "Display Images, Reset Controls", "Custom Settings". The front panel is a visual guide to the controls of the camera itself (which is great for me because I can never remember which of the two controls is "Main" or "Sub").

Each panel relies heavily on carefully-chosen screen grabs or tables to provide a surprisingly-exhaustive reference to the functions presented on that panel. I have found in practice that looking at the index (shown in the Amazon illustration at lower right) points me to what I want to do and how to do it very quickly.

I think this card would be most effective for someone who has first read the owner's manual, and possibly a third-party guide as well. (I purchased Nikon D70s/D70 (Magic Lantern Guides) by Simon Stafford when I bought my D70S, and found it helpful.) Once you know your camera, this card will help you find the function that you know is there, somewhere, and find it in time to be useful in the field.
on June 14, 2015
For a normal snap shooter the Nikon D70 can be a daunting experience with its myriad features. I have downloaded Nikon's instructions and bought 2 books that attempt to explain it. However, this handy laminated folding reference card is a definite quick help in the field - AFTER you have studied the manual and the books. It does not substitute for the manual, though. For old eyes the print is a bit small, but still readable.
on January 16, 2013
A wonderful product that covers all of the features and settings of these great cameras, and in much greater depth than you would expect on a fold-out card.

So what prompted them to apply a permanent sticker to the first/title page of it that easily covers 25% of the available space and writing? I have these same reference cards for my D50 and D60 bodies and thankfully they're free of unwanted stickers.
on January 1, 2009
I am a fairly techie guy, but this thing really taught me how to use my camera. My wife is the photographer in the family and we have an DSLR because she needed it. I never strayed from AUTO mode. I read the manual, but it was long and took a while. I forgot most of what I wanted to do when I get to the point where I want to take a picture and get impatient miss shots and switch back to AUTO. This has bailed me out of several of those situations already in just a few short weeks. A great deal and should come with the camera since it has made it useful. Very small useful, color coded, covers every setting and button on the camera.

I was skeptical in the beginning before I bought it, but I am now glad I did figuring it was only $10. I not only plan to find one for my wifes FILM SLR, but also plan on sending friends looking for them too.
on September 5, 2007
I have used this repeatedly since purchasing it. Very handy, & easy to use. The color coding makes it just that much easier.
on May 16, 2013
Laminated folding set of four cards set out function of camera's buttons, dials, display's etc. Also has information sections such as "Focus, shooting modes, self timer", "Flash, mode dial, functions" and "Exposure, metering, bracketing. Also "White balance, ISO, image size/quality." "Display images, reset controls" and "Custom settings." Lastly, "Viewfinder,control panel."

Great as a quick reference. Especially good if you haven't owned a Nikon DSLR before... I would say. Recommended.
on August 13, 2009
This is one of two such cards I have in my camera bag and they both see more light of day than the manual because they are there when you need them, and searching for the essentials isn't a chore. When I upgrade to a new body (camera) I will definitely invest in the cards again.
on May 29, 2014
For a new camera user, this purchase was a necessity. There are many great tutorials online but this was in my camera bag when it mattered.
on July 18, 2014
Handy reference for those of us who tend to forget the nuances of white balance and other fine adjustments. Easy to pack with the camera.
on September 15, 2009
Card well put together but too busy. Unless you were very already familiar with the D70 to was not of much use. Not much use to me.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse