Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on March 29, 2009
I purchased my D90 three months ago but struggled some with the manual that ships with the camera. Since buying this book, it has opened up a whole new world to me. It is very easy to read and well organized. In just a few hours reading the book and apply the techniqes as I wqent along, I was experimenting with various white balance settings, using picture controls, and taking pictures using the "M" (Manual) mode effectively. If you couple this book with Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure", you will benefit from the technical and basic photo making techniques of this book and the creative elements of Bryan's book. You will be well on your way to enjoying digital photography, particularly if you are rlatively new to it as I am. Enjoy!
on February 1, 2009
I got a D90 for Christmas after using Canon Digital Rebels for years and was a bit lost. The Nikon just had so many more options and was capable of so much more, I felt overwhelmed. I came across J. Dennis Thomas' blog online and was impressed. So, I bought the D90 Digital Field Guide. Thank God! I would never be using this camera to it's full capacity if I hadn't. The book was easy to read and it didn't confuse me like a lot of technical junk does. I think I have a bit of adult ADD, and I usually give up pretty quickly. The learning curve with this book was just right. I love my D90 and I love that I can do more than use it in P mode like I always did my Rebels. This book made that possible.
on January 30, 2009
I just received my copy of the D90 Digital Field Guide and I'm ecstatic. Right from the get-go this book is filled with great information to get you out there shooting.

Once you get the hang of the elementary stuff there is much more information to keep you going. The Real World Applications gives you a lot of information on different shooting scenarios that's really useful for relative newbies as well as more experienced shooters.

This book goes over all of the settings and buttons giving you a clear description of each function and even offering tips on when you may want to use the settings. That's very helpful. It's written in a much more clear style than the manual.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get the most out of their D90.
on March 25, 2009
My new D90 manual just didnt do it for me. I needed a "how to", "step by step" manual on how to familiarize myself with the D90's functions & capabilities. I had so many basic (beginner/ amateur) questions that the manual couldn't help me with. I needed a book that will explain the basic WHAT, WHY & HOW's and this book is the one that explained all the things that I wanted to learn about. If you're new to DSLR's, this is the book for you. It teaches you the basics, and at the same time slowly points you through the right path. It teaches you about all the buttons on your camera, what it does & the possibilities of what you can do (the 1st 100+ pages is dedicated to the D90's functions alone. After reading the book the first time, I already knew that I will be using this book as reference guide for a long time.
My advise is that as you go through the topics, have the camera handy next to you so that you can apply what you learn. If you are a pro, this book may not be for you because it probably contains things that you already know. It seemed to me that the author has people like me in mind when he wrote this book,and I am very grateful for that.
on February 5, 2009
This book identifies all the camera controls and walks you through menu screens of the Nikon D90. It also explains when and how you should use the various modes. I found it to be a huge help with my newest toy. :)
It also gives a lot of information on accessories, which is great because as I've been getting to know my camera better, I've been more and more interested in getting some additional lenses as well as some other accessories. Highly recommended!
on February 6, 2009
I just got my D90 last week and started reading this digital field guide. I'm not that technically savvy with professional cameras just yet, but I was really impressed with this book. It's easy to read, visually appealing (photographs), and has helped me tremendously in getting to know all of the buttons on the camera. I feel a little more confident taking photos now.

I highly recommend this book to newcomers to the D90, as it will help you with the basics and get you more comfortable with the camera.
on March 7, 2009
This guide is a must for the camera. Very thorough. If only the manuals that come with equipment could be this complete. The guide lifts the camera to a whole new level.
on March 29, 2009
Absolutely great book. It has everything I was looking for to supplement the manufacturer's manual - and more. The prose is easy to read and understand; pictures are clear and sharp; and the coloring is helpful and not overdone. As well, the book seems to be well made, unlike some other such books on the market! Pages are heavy and sturdy semi-gloss and the binding seems to be nice and tight. You won't be disappointed if you purchase this book.
on February 2, 2009
it's much easier to read and use, than the users manual. gives you alot of info you should already know, but it's always good to go over them again. all in all, a good book to have and go through.
on May 26, 2009
First let me make it clear that I am not knocking this book. Based on the other reviews, it is clear this wonderful book has helped many with the operation of their D-90. In fact my decision to buy this book was based solely on the reviews found here. I am writing just to let others know that this book may not be suitable for a true amateur. I have what I would describe as a very BASIC understanding of cameras - no lessons or professionals to mentor me - just LOTS of time behind various cameras over the past 35 years. As a result, I am able to shoot photos that many rave over. I would call it dumb luck, lots of patience, and having the knack to be in the right place at the right time. This book however was over my head with lots of terminology I am unfamiliar with. Knowing its value to so many others tells me that I need to do some self-teaching or take a photography class to be able to let this book help me. Please don't hesitate buying this book because of my review. Instead just keep in mind that having nice cameras and lots of experience taking pictures may not guarantee you the ability to understand this book.