Canon EOS 50D DSLR Camera (Body Only) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $299.77
Nikon D90 v. Canon 50D Has anyone done an extensive comparison between the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D? I realize that technically they may not be in the same "class" of SLRs, but the Nikon's claims seem to put them on a relatively even keel when going by the specs.

I am trying to decide between the two and would appreciate everyone's thoughts. To me, it seems the colors seem more vibrant on the Canon -- but I can't tell if people have adjusted that in processing or not. Also, in the sample pics I've seen from different photo site reviews, the Nikon's D-lighting adjustment system seems to work exceptionally well, while the Canon's doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
asked by A. Ghavi on December 31, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
Prash:

I've read all your posts and viewed all the photos and your videos.

I just purchased a D90 kit and would like to learn more about how to do some of the special things you did with your videos. I would like to find a program that could take several short videos and seamlessy put them together.....

I would really like to hear bacl from you....

Kindest Regards, Steve

buzzbuzzard@comcast.net
Buzz Buzzard answered on April 4, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
dpreview.com does very extensive testing, you should check them out. I think a lot of the choice depends on what you want to do over your photography life as once you get a camera you start buying expensive lenses and become entrenched (Canon or Nikon). In my own experience, I've found Canon's formats to be a little more use friendly to non-professional photographers. But people who have been photographers for years, tend to gravitate to the Nikon standard as it has some better personal customization on the higher end.
A. Corsi answered on January 19, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You can read my text review of D90 here: http://prashchopra.blogspot.com/2009/01/nikon-d90-review-video-and-text.html .
I returned a week old Nikon D90 to get a Canon 50d. The reason was simple: D90 boasts many advanced features, but it lacked some basic tools needed for good imaging, e.g. the live view is a gimmick, it doesnt let you see exposure simulation AND the live view image at large zooms is extrapolated from smaller images, hard to get accurate focus assessment.

Hope that review helps.

Edit to add (1/28/09): I have since owned and reviewed a Canon 50d camera (http://prashchopra.blogspot.com/2009/01/canon-50d-vs-nikon-d90-review.html). Remember: I am not a professional photographer. But I work in the field of imaging, and thus have a little practical sense of the end result quality. Despite the higher speed and better live-view and the lens autofocus micro0adjustment feature and the 3 extra mega pixels, the 50d failed to match with teh D90 I owned before it in terms if end result quality (ignoring any post processing.. somparing just out of the camera RAW results). I found the 50d to be more noisy as compared to the D90. I found myself going back to the D9 results to compare the 50d images more than often. My copy of 50d also gave me mount problems aith a brand new lens... I have since returned it and am very very happy with a D90.

I have tried three cameras then... and my personal winner is Nikon D90 now... its low light and high ISO performance is unbeatable in its category I think. No matter what lab tests say, D90 produced much cleaner images for the same shot settings than the Canon 50d.

Good luck!
Prash Chopra answered on January 14, 2009
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product