5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars starter kit
This package comes with a DSLR bag and 2-DVD set (one for 3100, another for d3000, d5000).

DVD: For the beginner of DSLR, the DVD can be helpful, but you can also get the similar information from internet. If you are already into this world, and want to get advanced knowledge, this DVD would not be much helpful.

Camera case: This is really a high...
Published on November 24, 2010 by Dan InGold

2.0 out of 5 stars Good material but very POOR design
Published on December 26, 2010 by Joseph D. Land

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars starter kit, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Nikon DSLR Starter Kit with Nikon School Fast, Fun and Easy DVD Set and DSLR Case (Camera)

Camera case: This is really a high quality bag (a little heavier than you thought). Compared to the previous starter kit, this bag has great improvement in terms of both build quality and space. It appears bigger for holding d3100 with kit lens and 50-200mm zoom lens. This is expected as it is also designed for holding d7000. So this bag is for one camera with two lens. There is also large space on the front pack for holding accessories.

Check my uploaded pictures of the bag in the share customer image section for a look.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good material but very POOR design, December 26, 2010
This bag came with a DLSR package I bought a couple weeks ago and I was pretty excited about it. The material is good and it seems built to last. However, there is a pretty serious design flaw that has caused me to get rid of it. When you strap the bag shut the upper sides of the bag bulge out and create pretty large openings where the elements can seep in. It's pretty bad when you consider how sand or water can get into your bag and cause a really bug problem. Also, the inner adjustable compartments are pretty weak and it's pretty hard to get gear tightly secured into the bag. The bag can hold a decent amount of gear (I have a D3000, 35mm, 18-55 & 55-200 lens, battery charger and other stuff fitted in my bag but it just doesn't feel like a secure bag that I could trust for long term use.

I would suggest the Lowerpro slingshot bags instead. That bag gives you quick access to your camera, durable design and it keeps your extra gear solidly secured in your bag.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality bag, December 14, 2010
The quality of the bag is high, its padded, water resistant, and the locking clips won't break easily. The problem I have with this bag is that it is a bit too small and the layouts of the pockets are just not well thought out.
It would be better if if were about 1" wider, 2" longer, the height seems good. The pockets should be on the outside of the clips (they have a zipper anyways) so that you don't have to have the top open to access a battery or a lens for example. The lid pocket needs to be expandable or done away with, you can't keep anything more than a lens rag or a manual in it as is.
When I take my camera out for a hike I currently carry it in a range bag that I have padded, its slightly bigger and has all the pockets I need. When I'm at home I stow my camera in this bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have checked Amazon first!, July 22, 2011
Unfortunately, I did not check Amazon first before paying twice the amount at Best Buy for this same bag! With that said, this is a great bag. It holds both my Nikon 5100 with the 18-55mm lens attached, as well as my 70-300mm lens. I have my manuals, cables, acessories in the various pockets. The bag is very lightweight, which is what I was looking for. The DVD's are very informative, and I learned a lot about my camera from watching them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent bag, love the video, January 29, 2011
The bag itself is spacious and well designed and it comfortably holds my D3100 with its stock lens and a 55-200m lens. I think it could have been a little smaller but I'm not too bothered by the size. The build quality is solid and I can see it lasting for a really long time. I especially like the clips which are made out of metal and should last for a really long time. I may go out and buy a smaller bag just for the camera and its smaller lens (since I don't see myself taking the bigger lens with me everywhere I go) but I'm largely satisfied with this bag.

What I loved even more about this kit was the instructional videos that came with it. Both me and my wife and clueless about how to operate an SLR so the videos were very helpful in getting us started in the right direction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice case for Nikon D3100, June 17, 2011
Hi,
I purchased this case for my D3100. This case has enough room for the camera with the 18-55mm lens. It also has a separate compartment for a bigger lens, maybe 55-200mm or 55-300mm lens.
There are also other compartments on the side near the straps. 2 more compartments: one on top and one on the front.

Overall this is a good sturdy bag for the camera, extra lens, extra battery and battery charger.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who has D3100, with an extra lens.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made, February 21, 2013
Steph (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
One of the straps completely came off because the strap just started shredding at the seam after about a month. We are amateurs so we weren't using it everyday. Very very disappointed with this product and would not recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it so far!, September 7, 2011
We got this bag with a camera deal they had going on at the time. When I saw there was a "free" bag included for the deal we got, I thought, "Great, they are throwing in some cheap crappy bag to make me feel like I'm getting a deal." I have to admit that when the salesmen showed us the bag we were pleasently suprised!

Here is what I store in the bag:
Camera body w/kit lens
55-300mm
Dvd
Lens cleaning supplies including blower
Caps, hoods, etc

I did adjust some of the velcro pieces, but that is what makes this bag great! For as small as it is, I am surprised this much fit into it. I could even fit another lens in the bag if needed. I really like the heavy duty top handle and hard bottom support.

The DVD is ok. I got a D5100, so the dvd wasn't as relevant to my camera, but it still had some good pointers for beginers.

Overall this is a great bag for someone just getting into DSLR shooting.

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD was useless, bag made of good material, but one major flaw, February 23, 2011
Nick (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
Luckily this was included for free with a promotion on my D3100, as I would have been extremely disappointed had I actually paid for this kit.

The DVD is not truly a 2-DVD set...each DVD has a "feature" for two different cameras. Unless you have multiple cameras, really you're only going to use one DVD...which really isn't worth your time anyway. The entire 1-hour program just tells you to use macro modes on your camera.

The bag is made of high quality material -- it really is. The problem is in the way the top flap was designed. It doesn't seal the top entirely, and there isn't enough overlap where such a design is safe. It has multiple small "holes" where the elements or some such would be able to get into the bag.

I ended up purchasing an AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories (Black) instead, which offers much more storage space, multiple pockets, and zippers to keep the compartments sealed. After six hours of walking around carrying the Nikon bag, I decided a backpack would be better for me.

If you're looking for an actual bag instead, the Canon Deluxe Gadget Bag 100EG is a pretty solid little bag. Sure it's a Canon bag, but it is made from good material, the top features a flap like this Nikon bag, as well as a zipper to keep it sealed. The downside is it barely fits my D3100 with lens attached (lens down) and two extra lenses. If you have a large setup, it won't work, but if it's just the SLR and a couple smaller lenses, it will offer better proction than this Nikon bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Bag, December 4, 2010
Kat (Southern California United States) - See all my reviews
This is a nice quality bag, good stitching. The clips in front are metal for the top portion and plastic on the bottom portion, a bit strange but seems durable. The only complaint I have with that is when I open the top flap I usually bang the clip on something as I flip it open making a loud ding.
Inside it can fit my Nikon d3100 with attached lens, and room for another lens in a separate padded compartment. The front zippered pocket is roomy, but you have to open the flap to get to it. The 2 side pockets each are secured by a large piece of velcro, and the pockets just aren't that big. They would fit my iphone with it's bulky case, but it doesn't make it easy to get out in a pinch.
Overall quality bag, good buy.