5.0 out of 5 stars The new DX standard...
While I'm hoping Nikon will release a D400, I couldn't resist trying out the new D7100. As a working pro who uses both FX and DX format cameras, my first impressions of the D7100 are very positive.

My simple summary is that this camera is a bargain and that those already inclined to own the best the DX camera Nikon sells should get one.

Having...
Published 18 months ago by P. Hartung

3.0 out of 5 stars I WANTED MORE THAN JUST ANOTHER NUMBER ON THE BODY OF THE CAMERA
Background:
I have been shooting Nikon and Other Brands DSLRS for Several Years.
I own several Prime and Zoom Lens of both High End and Lower End, and I never leave my home without a camera in my hand. Now that we have established that I know how to use a Camera we can move on.
Since I was looking to upgrade from a D7000 to a D7100, this will be mainly...
Published 16 months ago by Antromix

5.0 out of 5 stars The new DX standard..., March 16, 2013
P. Hartung (Milwaukie, OR United States) - See all my reviews

Having worked for years with the D300 and the D7000 bodies, my perspective on this one is influenced by what I think is good about those two popular cameras. I hoped that the D7100 would really improve in the areas of autofocus, shadow noise, and overall resolution/acuity. This camera has not disappointed me, and has even a few minor improvements I wasn't expecting.

Of first importance, shooters of the D7000 will appreciate the big improvements in AF (you probably know how sketchy that camera is to focus, especially compared to the 51-point standard set by most older/current pro bodies). It's fast, accurate, and doesn't get fooled into moving if you recompose. On single focus mode, it simply acquires and holds where you want. And the tracking AF is on par with Nikon's pro standard. This is huge for me, since I love the quality of images the D7000 gives but hate the unreliability of its AF. Acquiring focus in low light seems a bit snappier and more accurate than even the D300.

The resolving power of this sensor is unlike any DX camera before it. Because the D7100 doesn't have an anti-aliasing/low-pass filter on its 24 megapixel sensor, I knew it would be able to show a perceptible increase in resolving detail over the older D7000, and again I am glad to report it does - IF you use good glass, stopped down a bit, and process from the RAW files. My test shots captured with the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 70-200 have blown me away. The acuity when zoomed in is night/day compared to the D7000. However, if you use mediocre glass then the only differences you'll notice are larger files and slightly better dynamic range.

In DX images, shadow noise has generally appeared too stippled even at lower ISO values, rendering a texture that the FX sensors don't have at the same ISO's. The D7100 has definitely improved this. The texture gradient is more uniform and it reminds me of the D600 in this way. Although I haven't done tests above ISO 1600, the shadow textures are more uniform and pleasant (natural?) on skin than the previous DX cameras.

Shooters familiar with Nikon's pro camera ergonomics will appreciate that the D7100 has added the quick magnification/zoom feature to the `OK' button on the rear thumbpad. It's great for snappy, quick inspections at defined zoom ratios to check for focus accuracy. This feature is nonexistent on the D7000 and the D600. I find it very handy and preferable to the +/- buttons.

Speaking of the +/- buttons to the left of the LCD, I have no idea why Nikon reversed their positions on this camera. It's a small thing but still annoying.

I'm still getting used to the new viewfinder display, so the jury is out.

The two-shot HDR feature isn't what it should be since it doesn't align the images. I'd use the bracketing feature on a tripod and be done with it.

I like that there's finally a lock button in the center of the program mode dial to avoid accidental switching, which happens too often on the D7000.

The rear LDC screen is slightly larger and also a bit crisper to my eyes.

The overall fit/finish is solid and secure. I have big hands so I only wish it was the same form factor as the D800 (hey Nikon, give us a D400 already), but at this price I'm not complaining.

I wish Nikon could squeeze out better battery performance from their cameras, frankly, and the D7100 hasn't improved upon what has become normal for the past couple years.

Sorry, but I don't mess with video so I cannot speak to this.

As a still image camera (in the DX format) the D7100 has really set a new standard. Even though I'd buy a D400 if it came out tomorrow, there's nothing stopping me from enjoying the D7100 today as the best you can get. I feel that the price is low for what it is and can create. Highly recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Upgrade from D5100, March 16, 2013
***UPDATED 3/18/13 TO INCLUDE SOME MEMORY CARD BUFFER BENCHMARKS IN MEMORY CARD SECTION***

This review is aimed at people who are relatively new to photography (~couple years), as I am in the same boat. There will be much more thorough reviews on Amazon for people who are already serious photographers, written by people who are actually serious photographers.

General Impression:
A wonderful upgrade from my D5100 after 2 years of heavy use. This camera is obviously aimed at a different person than the D3x00 or D5x00 series as it offers quick access to advanced features without having to go through tons of menus.

Construction/Feel:
This camera feels like a series camera. Coming from the all plastic D5100, this thing is built like a tank. It is noticeably larger than my old camera, which is due to the fact that it has more knobs and wheels.

Controls:
One of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade from an entry level dSLR was so I can quickly change settings without having to hunt through menus to do so. This camera fits the bill very well and has a few major upgrades from my point of view. Fistly, the U1 and U2 settings are invaluable. Being able to have a group of settings stored such that I can revert back to them by turning one knob is major. Several times in the past I have been trying to compose one shot only to have a completely different shot appear that required different settings altogether. This takes a while to do on the more entry level camera and has been very annoying. Something that may not seem that important but I love already is the depth of field preview button. I enjoy being able to see what the aperture setting will actually look like without having to take a shot and review on the LCD. The final feature that I love are a collection of buttons/knobs/wheels that allow me to change things like shooting mode (continuous, timer, etc), AF mode, ISO setting, etc without having to get into a menu. I haven't quite committed their location to memory but once I do I won't even have to take the camera away from my face to make the changes. Again, this section here is really the reason I wanted to upgrade and I am not disappointed.

Auto Focus:
The 51-point AF on this camera has been a dream to use. I almost always keep the camera set to single point servo autofocus so I can select the point I want it to focus to. As long as you have some contrast, it is very quick and accurate to focus. A big positive in this camera over the lower level ones is that it DOES have a built in AF motor which means it will autofocus on lenses that do not have a built in motor. I do have the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 which lacks a motor, so I was stuck manually focusing it on my previous camera. I notice this camera has a much faster focusing speed compared to the D5100 and also is able to focus in low light better, I believe its supposed to be a 1 stop improvement.

LCD Screen:
I do/will miss the rotating/articulating screen the D5100 had. I can understand why on a semi-pro/prosumer camera they would remove it (it could fairly easily break off and does seem like somewhat of a gimmick), but I mainly enjoyed it because i could turn it around to protect the screen while transporting. This screen is definitely a better quality though and shows much more information.

Noise:
Wonderful sensor, great signal to noise ratio. With my D5100 I would start to see things go down hill around ISO1600-3200. With this camera, I will be bumping that setting up to 6400 which gives me 1-2 stops of slack to play with. A little noise reduction in editing software makes the images completely usable. Very happy with the noise. I'm guessing the full frame bodies do a better job in this category, but this camera does all I need it to. Also, still waiting for Lightroom to update their camera compatibility.

Image Quality:
I'm not a pixel-peeper nor do I have the extensive experience to really discuss the image quality. It takes good pictures if I compose good pictures.

Battery Life:
No complaints. I have gotten a couple hundred shots off and still have half battery life. I do expect to buy another battery at some point for times when I might be taking a couple thousand shots over a weekend.

Memory Card:
I enjoy being able to put two SD cards in here and plan to always use them in the backup mode (in case one should sheet the bed). VERY IMPORTANT, BIG DEAL HERE: The memory you put in is very important. From my D5100 I had a few Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS16GSDHC6E. When I got the D7100, i felt the camera was not shooting as fast as it should. I then bought one SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-032G-AFFP and would like to explain the results of my tests. So i set up on a tripod the same shot with each card at 14bit RAW uncompressed, as many as the camera take in 30 seconds. The only difference was the cards. The results are astounding and are not a typo. I got 68 shots with the sandisk and 23 with the transcend. That's right, almost 3x as many. Additionally, but unrelated to the camera, when copying 30 pictures (at 23mb a piece) to my MacBook Pro, the Sandisk took 13 seconds and the Transcend 41 seconds. If you aren't getting high performance out of your memory card, definitely look into upgrading.

Flash:
The built in flash is pretty puny, which seems to be par for the course. It does provide some nice fill lighting if you're outside taking pictures where there are some shadows on your subject, but for shooting inside it's marginal at best. I bought the very reasonably priced Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras and have been very pleased with the combo. The external flash adds the ability to bounce light off the ceiling and not waste the camera battery while doing so. This camera does have the Nikon flash commander ability which I will no doubt take advantage of at some point.

Conclusion:
If you're starting to outgrow your lower tier DX camera, get this one - you won't be disappointed. I already have quite a few DX lenses and don't feel like replacing them with FX lenses and I actually prefer the crop factor (1.5x teleconverter in effect) on my big nasty 70-200 2.8.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy upgrade for the skilled photographer, March 21, 2013
Michael C. Jackson "MysticMCJ" (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I picked up the body three days ago, as an upgrade to my D90 - I was particularly interested in the weather sealing, how it performed without an AA filter, and some of the goodies that filtered in from the prior model, like the dual SD slots.

Coming from the D90, this is simply an astounding upgrade in terms of image rendition, range, light sensitivity, and performance... but it takes spending some quality time becoming familiar with it to truly appreciate it.

If you are the sort of person - like me - who simply starts tweaking things in advance without really testing them, then you can easily make things difficult for yourself. Case in point: 51 AF points. Coming from the D90, where I had 11, this seemed to be a really good thing, and it CAN be, in the right scenario. However, if you blindly set it to use 3D tracking without considering your subject, the sheer density of the focus points combined with certain subjects can lead to a lot of focus-shifting back and forth. The solution to this is to either use pure auto focus (and I know you purists are shaking your head already at that one, I know I was at first), change the AF mode to AF-S, or use less focus points. I suspect if I had just left the focus as it shipped, I wouldn't have seen any issue at all.

Much of what is new to me, like the custom modes, won't be new to somebody coming from the D7000, so I won't go into detail on those. It does feel that this has become the definitive DX camera to track action - sports and wildlife in particular, given the new crop mode (which is of no use to me) and the aggressive focus tracking. But there's plenty in there for other shooters as well, and the extra resolution and light sensitivity is never a bad thing. What this really means is that this camera really has two types that will be particularly interested in it... If you are looking to shoot action affordably, this is your new camera. If you are an experienced user looking for the most advanced DX format Nikon has to offer at this time, this is also your camera. However, if you are a novice, or if you are not willing to spend some time tuning it to how you work, this may be too much camera for you.

It also seems like many of the enhancements were for movie modes - and I'm a stills guy, so I can't speak to those. Technically, I'm sure it's amazing.

From an image resolution standpoint - there are two things that may give a false impression that this camera doesn't perform as you would expect. The first: Sharpening is set extremely low by default, so the first time you zoom in to 100%, you are probably going to have a question or two. Dialing up the sharpness fixes that quite nicely if you are a sharpness junkie. The second: Your own technique. And by this, I mean knowing what aperture to shoot in, really knowing how to be steady, knowing how to release the shutter without adding rotational motion - There are a ton of factors that could affect this. So if you are still aren't happy with the sharpness after dialing it up, set your camera in aperture priority, dial it up to 8 (or whatever is optimal for your lens, but 8 is a safe bet), set it on something heavy, check your focus in live mode, and use a timer release mode. You will quickly see where the problem is, and unless you have a really awful lens, I'll take the odds that it's NOT the camera that is the problem- This thing is SHARP. It is only limited by the lens and the operator.

Now, for those of you worried about moire, I have some good news for you: I've been shooting repeating patterns - pinstripes, grid textures, you name it - trying to create moire. I have yet to succeed... I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't been able to coax it out yet. Point is - it will take some effort to make that happen, and I don't think that should factor in your decision.

My gripes are incredibly minor. The new "i" menu screen is laid out very intelligently and greatly eases camera operation, but it also just about makes the "info" button redundant - I'd rather have had the ability to hit "i" or "info" twice - once to show info, the other to open the menu - and have the ability to remap the additional button to something else.

Quiet mode, well, isn't very. Probably not distinct to this model over any other Nikon SLR with quiet mode, but I was expecting more.

And why did Nikon take away my ability to toggle on the info screen along with the LCD backlight?

These are minor gripes, and I'm hard pressed to come up with anything. I've seen people complain about the buffer size, but I just shot 32 full-size JPGs at full speed before it started slowing down as I was writing this. There may be some focus issues for some people, but for me it was technique along with camera settings. I've been looking for things to criticize, and it's just not that easy. What I have is a truly significant upgrade that has astounded me with its performance, and is an improvement in every way from the already strong D90 I was coming from. There's a lot of ways to shoot yourself in the foot with settings, so you need to be mindful of what you are tweaking, but there's a lot of power to be unlocked as well.

Very highly recommended.

UPDATE: 3/6/2013

I was a bit wrong about quiet mode... The shutter is quiet to begin with, so the effect didn't seem as dramatic as I expected. The reality is that it's already worlds quieter than the D90 ever was.

Also, note that I rarely if ever shoot raw. The great thing about this is that I have felt a need to with this camera. That does significantly degrade the rapid-fire speed, and I understand that moire can exhibit in raw, but I haven't seen that in practice yet. I'll reserve judgement until there's support for this in Aperture or Lightroom, as I've never been crazy about Nikon's offerings.

Using this as a flash commander in conjunction with my SB-600 is AWESOME. I could do that with the D90 as well, but it seems to work much more consistently and rapidly than it did before. The on-board flash seems ridiculously competent.

My other minor gripe: The record movie button just hangs around uselessly if you aren't in video mode. Remapping that would be nice as well. I'm not holding my breath for any firmware updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars NIKON D7100- 5 star, June 21, 2013
I'm not going to go into a long review on this model- the D7100. I have been taking pictures for over 50 years, and I will just say, for the price I paid, this is 1 of the finest Nikon's yet.

Coming from my past, including D50, D90, D7000, the D7100 has made great improvements, and I have NO ISSUES with the D7100.

Maybe some of these other guys who have given scathing reviews have gotten an off copy, or maybe it is simply a case of inability to know how to use the camera properly, who knows?

Regardless, if you are looking for a SUPERIOR camera in the $1200 range, THIS IS IT! Buy it, most importantly, READ THE MANUAL, use a fast, highly-rated memory card, a high-quality lens, and don't look back!

Everything about the D7100 screams quality- from the build quality, features, resolution, and most importantly, TACK-SHARP photo quality. I could go on an on about the D 7100, but it is best to just remark about what an awesome buy it is now for the $. All the others(manufacturers) are now playing catch-up with this Nikon release-

Yes, others may say it can use this feature, and that do-dad, but we all know that will come in less than 2 years or so. For now this is 1 of the finest values in a DSLR!And NO, I DO NOT work for Nikon-

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DX Camera Yet - SHARP SHARP SHARP, March 22, 2013
Length:: 5:12 Mins

***UPDATED REVIEW TO REFLECT ADDITIONAL USE***

As a happy D7000 owner for more than two years, I immediately upgraded to the D7100. Rather than rehash all of the camera specs in this review, I'll focus on what has changed vis-a-vis the previous camera.

NEW 24.1 MEGAPIXEL SENSOR, 1.3x CROP MODE, NO AA FILTER
Although I didn't really care about having more megapixels, there are advantages. The most obvious is cropping and the 1.3x crop mode is a nice feature if you are into bird & wildlife photography. The crop mode delivers an in camera crop that essentially discards pixels around the outer perimeter of the image (instead of a 6000x4000 DX image, the camera captures a cropped 4800x3200 image). Because the resulting cropped files are smaller (about 16 megapixel) the cameras gets a slight boost in frame rate to 7 fps. There are focusing advantages as well, since all 51 focus points cover almost the entire frame of the image. Nikon has worked wonders with the 24.1 megapixel sensor, delivering amazing resolution detail while keeping noise in check. The noise that appears in higher ISO images has a grain quality that's more pleasing to my eye than previous Nikon cameras I have owned (YMMV). The removal of the AA filter is icing on the cake, placing this camera in the company of the D800E (which merely canceled its AA filter - the D7100 deletes it altogether). The new crop mode, combined with enhanced sharpness, were key selling points to me. After extensive use of the D7100, I'm happy to report that the camera is SHARP SHARP SHARP. (And did I mention that it is SHARP?) I was never 100% pleased with the sharpness of images coming out of my D7000, but this new camera is amazing in that department. Whether this performance is the result of the deletion of the AA filter, I do not know - but I know the camera is sharp.

NEW WEATHER-SEALED BODY
The camera feels great in my hands, solid and substantial without being a brick. The body is now fully weather sealed (reportedly to the standard of the D800) and the button layout changes are logical and well thought out. I like the new "i" button - it's a cinch to change key camera settings, especially toggling the image area between DX and 1.3x crop modes. Nikon has tweaked the ergonomics nicely, with the larger thumb rest and raised "OK" button control pad. The LCD screen is 3.2", larger, brighter, and higher resolution than the D7000 screen. ALL of these changes are subtle but significant improvements. Note also that pressing the "OK" button during shot review zooms to a 100% review of the image at the focus point, allowing you to pixel peep on the fly - a great feature that will become essential once you start using it.

51 AUTOFOCUS POINTS
The AF is improved as well, with a whopping 51 AF points (that extend edge-to-edge in 1.3x crop mode). The camera focuses quickly and (for the most part) accurately.

COLOR
I'm liking the color captured by the D7100 better than that of the D7000 (and its Sony sensor). It's warmer and more organic to my eye.

VIDEO UPGRADES
I shoot a lot of video, so I'm happy about the new frame rates (including 60P). The new location of the movie record button, next to the shutter release, makes sense. I'm particularly happy that we now have a headphone jack on the camera. Sure, we don't always use the in camera audio, but it is nice to be able to monitor it now if necessary. The camera LCD display now sports audio level indicators, too.

POSSIBLE WEAKNESSES
The sharp 24 megapixels demand better lenses and better technique to get the results you want - is that a weakness? In other words, the ceiling of performance is higher with the D7100, but you will need the lens and technique to take advantage of it.

The buffer could be larger - this will be the Achilles Heel for some bird shooters. By limiting the buffer, Nikon has left the door open for a true D300 replacement to slot above this camera in the lineup. For me, the many considerable upsides of the D7100 outweigh the buffer issue.

I'm not a big fan of the new locking control dial (I never had problems with the old dial) but it works fine - it just slows down operation a bit, and I worry that it may break. Just a minor quibble: the shutter sound is different, perhaps a little louder, than the D7000 shutter.

CONCLUSION
Brilliant camera. Nikon has dialed up the D7000 in every area you would expect, and a few you would not expect. The D7000 is an outstanding camera, but the D7100 offers improvements across the board. Better weather-sealed body, better ergonomics, more resolution, better color, more AF points, no AA filter, a 1.3X crop mode, a headphone jack, 60P frame rate, on screen audio levels. And did I mention that it is SHARP SHARP SHARP?

The D7100 is the best DX camera to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally-- Worth Upgrading For!, March 28, 2013
Matthew Pearson (Omaha, Nebraska United States) - See all my reviews
This is my 4th DSLR. Before this, I had a Kodak DCS-460c, a D70, and a D80. The latter two are still very capable cameras as long as you're not too obsessed about pixel peeking. When it comes to actual images, I had a hard time finding fault with either. I just used the D70 to shoot some downhill longboarding this past summer, and the high flash sync helped me grab some pretty great shots in poor lighting conditions. In fact, I'd probably still be using it primarily if I hadn't dropped it about a year after buying it. I replaced it immediately (out of necessity) with a D80, which has been a workhorse of a camera (a year and a half ago, I figured out the problem with my D70 and fixed it myself, that's how I was able to use it again more recently).

Anyway! All of this is to explain that I had a hard time finding a reason to upgrade to a newer body. I would love to have an FX body, because I built the bulk of my lens collection while shooting film and having my wide lenses actually be wide again would be great. I just couldn't justify the cost, though! However, once the D7100 hit, it was in a sweet spot in price and had 4x the resolution of my D70 and about 2.5x that of my D80 making it a significant upgrade. Put that together with its ability to meter with AIS lenses and it's purported high-ISO performance and it was just a matter of getting the money together.

I had a lot of time to take some shots with it over the last half week or so and I have been very, very impressed with its fast focus and the quality of high-ISO images. With my previous bodies and their Gen-1 sensors, quality started to drop off rapidly after an ISO of 800. At 1600 the images weren't just undersaturated and grainy, they were obviously digital with streaks and strangely colored pixels. The D80 could be pushed to 3200, but why? It was mostly useless.

On the D7100, though, I shot several images at ISOs over 3200 and often at 6400. One thing I noticed is that while "grain" does begin to become apparent at high ISOs, it looks a lot more like film grain than digital noise. Some of the monochrome shots I took at 6400 look more like 4-800 speed film. It's classy-looking noise, I suppose. It's definitely nicer looking than any 1600 or 3200 speed film I've ever shot on 35mm.

Autofocus is also very fast and more accurate than it was with my older bodies. I was surprised at how quickly it focused and locked onto subjects with my 80-200 2.8 AF-S lens, and I never complained about it being slow on my older bodies. It's very snappy and accurate. With my D80 I'd often be frustrated with the low-light performance of my fast lenses (50mm 1.4 and 35 1.8) and actually wondered if my 35mm lens was actually defective. The focal plane was always a little bit off from where I'd wanted it. This hasn't completely vanished with the 7100, but I think there were only 2 or 3 images out of the several hundred I've shot so far that show evidence of the camera being a little confused about where to focus. That alone has made shooting far less stressful!

Physically, the body is smaller than the D70 but larger than the D80. I don't have enormous hands, but I'm a bigger than average person (statistically). The D70 fits my hand perfectly. I had to get the grip for the D80 or else I felt like the camera was going to slip from my hand. My little finger just sort of flapped in the breeze while I was holding onto the gripless D80. The D7100 is in the middle of the two. I wish it were closer in size to the D70, but I do feel like I can grasp it solidly. I'll probably eventually get the MB-D15, but it feels slightly less crucial (though I already miss the vertical shutter release and controls).

Over all, this is a very significant upgrade over my older DSLRs. Maybe if I had a newer one it would feel incremental, but this was definitely the body I didn't know I was waiting for for all of these years. The low-light performance alone is incredible for those of us who like to use available light; maybe high-iso images are grainier than they'd be with a D600, but I'd prefer to have the 51-point AF system from the D4 than worry about a little high-iso noise that actually looks fairly filmic. Some might disagree with me on that point and I might evolve in my opinion about the D7100's noise when speeds get over 2400 or so, but I'll worry about that later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-around enthusiast DSLR, December 5, 2013
To give some background, I started out with a D40 (entry level DSLR) back in 2008. Had that for a couple of years and felt it was time to upgrade. I went a step up in class to a D5100 in 2011. Really enjoyed this camera, it's abilities, and it's additional (manual) controls. Towards the end of this year, I decided it was time to upgrade to the next class and step into the D7xxx class. I decided on the D7100 because the D7000 was similar (in many ways) to my D5100, which shared the same sensor. As a side note, I don't feel that getting the newer version of a camera in the same class is an upgrade. Maybe if you waiting a 2-3 versions, but not the next one. There isn't typically that many features that would persuade me to go from a D7000 to a D7100 based off of my friends (2 of them own the D7000) and what I've read about the D7100. But, for me, the D7100 was the next logical choice.
I'm not sure what I can say that hasn't already been written in previous reviews, so let me try from a different angle. I'll discuss some of the items that are not typically listed on a spec sheet or a comparison list:
Larger camera (body) size isn't always a negative. We live in a world were small (and faster, of course) is typically better when technology is involved. But with cameras, especially for me and my larger hands, bigger is better. The mid-size D7100 just feels more comfortable in my hands compared to the Compact size of the D40, D3xxx/Dxxx classes of Nikons. The D7100 also has the ability to add on a (Nikon) battery grip for increased battery life and better ergonomics when it comes to taking portraits. The D7100 also has weather sealing, so if you like to continue some level of photography after the rain or snow begins to fall, this is a better option than the entry level classes. Another nice option is that the D7100 has the ability to mount a teleconverter to extend the range of the telephoto lenses.

My recommendation is if you are new to photography or new to DSLR photography, the D7100 is probably not the best economical choice. It's relatively complex and many manual controls. Opting for a D3xxx or D5xxx series camera is probably a better buy. They are replaced with a new version just about on a yearly basis, so you can find last year's model pretty cheap.

If you already have a D3xxx or D5xxx and feel like you are starting to hit it's potential and/or would like more manual control of the settings (instead of diving into the menus to changes settings), the D7xxx series is probably your best choice. Unless you are coming from a D5100 or D5200, the D7000 is a great economical purchase. It has great abilities.

If you are coming from a D5100 (like me) or D5200/D5300, the D7100 is the better choice in this price range. The D600/D610 and D800 are somewhat of a different animal, are more expensive (although the D600 oil issue is driving the price down), and may cause you to spend more money to get rid of your DX lenses and opt for the FX lenses.

I hope you found this review useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet. New D7100 images are terrific--camera too!, March 23, 2013
I received my D7100 yesterday afternoon and shot some pictures that are posted here, "a picture is worth a thousand words." I had the Nikkor 28-300 mounted so I was getting a 35 mm equivalent of 42-600 mm with the 1.3 crop factor feature. Note this is an FX lens. I have never encountered this before, but Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom have not caught up with being able to process the D7100 RAW files, so all my images posted here were converted in Nikon NX2. Using NX2, you can do some crude editing (adequate for some, perhaps) and can convert to jpegs or 8/16 bit tiffs. All were shot handheld at f/8, ISO 200 (except for the tulips, ISO 1600) at shutter speeds ranging from 1/500 to 1/1000 (sunset was shot at 1/60, tripod mounted). Original raw files are 24 megapixels and were quickly transferred via USB 3.0 reader from Kensington. Operation of the D7100 is essentially identical to the D7000, which I gave to my daughter. A few minor differences, but nothing significant. Using the "i" button on the back of the camera makes switching between DX and 1.3 crop mode VERY simple; this would be great for bird stalking if you need a little more reach or sports where the 51 focus points would essentially cover the FOV. In DX mode, you get 24mp, in 1.3 crop mode, something less than 16mp. I think the best aspect of this is the way the focus points cover the entire width of the image area.

After shooting the quick "one offs" posted here, I would have to pronounce this camera "sweet." I like the DX format and the 1.3 crop factor. Expeed 3 processor seems comparable to my 800E. IQ seems terrific. Dynamic range is superb, but hard to completely tell at this point without proper software. Bottom line, while some may scoff at this model as merely evolutionary, to me, it continues the very strong reputation of the D7000, and "son of D7000" is not too shabby a moniker ;) I have encountered no QC issues with the images, sensor, or other bits, but I have only had the camera for less than a day. I will update this if things change. I loved my D7000; I can tell I am going to love the D7100 as well. I will use this camera primarily for bird and animal stalking, but may also take it when I don't want to risk my D800E (the D7100 IQ is terrific enough and the camera is weather sealed as well).

PS A note about moire. The D7100 doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter, the 800E neutralizes the AA filter's effects. With my 800E, I have NEVER seen problems with moire (after a few thousand images) and I don't see why the D7100 would be a concern in this regard. Yes, I am aware of all the technical caveats. You can see more of my work at on my website if you want to see more (just click on "drdvde" above to see the link.)

UPDATE 4/3/13: Just returned from a trip to Arches National Park. D7100 performed terrifically. Using the 1.3x crop factor, I can get an effective 600 mm from my Nikkor 28-300 mm zoom FX lens. Pictures were sharp, but two issues are important until Adobe provides compatible software. It is possible to "hack" the exiv data of the raw camera files using the exiftool program (google it!) so that ACR and Lightroom and Photoshop thing their dealing with a D5200 file. This works reasonably well with DX mode images (program works flawlessly, but the process is convoluted). In 1.3x crop mode, however, things come to a halt. You can view your images in Bridge, but you can't ge them to load into ACR and they cannot be converted to DNG format by Adobe DNG Converter. You'd be limited to converting to jpeg or tiff using Nikon ViewNX2, as shown in some of my images above.

UPDATE later 4/3/13: Adobe DNG Converter v7.4 and Lightroom v4.4 now support the D7100

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is "Wow!", April 5, 2013
After reading the reviews here, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to the D7100. I am certainly glad I did. As many have previously commented, the pictures are tack sharp. The color renditions are very accurate, also. I would say to anyone still considering this camera just buy it. You will not regret it at all. Just be sure you take the time to setup the camera the way you prefer it before you rush out and start taking pictures. I upgraded from the D7000, which is a great camera in its own right. This one blows it away in all aspects from low light shots to portraits or landscapes and everything in between. It is a little bit lighter than the D7000 and it feels great in my hands. I have not used the video yet so I can't comment on that part. The 1.3x crop is more useful than I expected. It is wonderful for sports shots for the extra length it provides on your lenses. That means my 18-200mm lens is about equal to 390mm when zooming in. Again, the pictures in this mode are very good and this is where you can get 7 shots in burst mode. I noticed no lag time in the shots I took testing this feature, although I did only take about 40 shots while testing it out. Again, all I can say is "WoW!"

4.0 out of 5 stars small details, July 12, 2013
So, the exhaustively long reviews hit on all of Nikon's specs on this camera; I'd just like to comment on two features that were unexpected and greatly appreciated by yours, truly. First, when you set the camera to either A or S mode, you can go into custom functions and set the camera's other speed dial to adjust the ISO. This is a great feature because otherwise I've seen some folks lamenting the inability to more easily change the ISO. Brilliant! Second, when you are reviewing multiple photos and zooming in to the same region of each one to inspect one important detail, the camera will automatically zoom into that region of the photo on successive zooms. Very cool, and useful since the multi-toggle is a bit small and sensitive. Otherwise the only thing I will say about this camera, which in all other ways is quite a worthy tool, is that the weather-sealing is definitely NOT as good as on the D300. No way would I trust this in a storm, and my D300 weathered many. 4.5 stars, but I'm rounding down for Nikon's false assurance about the weather-sealing.

Rate and Discover Movies