1,617 of 1,679 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera - D800 replacement?
Published on May 8, 2012 by Waikiki

UPDATE March 2014: Please note the date of writing the original review. Many things have changed since then, including the price and the competition in the market. END OF UPDATE.

I had a chance to try this camera for two weeks with my Nikon lens collection. I compared it to my D5100 and a D7000.
I skip repeating the features and specifications and just...
Published 23 months ago by Darth Vader

1,617 of 1,679 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera - D800 replacement?, May 8, 2012
Waikiki (Honolulu, Hi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens (Black) (Electronics)
Like many folks, I pre-ordered the D800 the same day it was available. Alas, Nikon totally blew the market analysis vs production vs. supply chain formula. After waiting 2 months, I had to leave the country before Nikon got it's D800 act together. I needed a beat-up D90 replacement camera, and the D3200 seemed like a decent place-holder. I quickly ordered one before they were back-ordered too! Sure, the D3200 is DX, not FX. Sure, it is not nearly as flexible. Sure, it can only AF with newer lenses. BUT, you can buy about 4-D3200's for the price of a D800, AND it comes with a decent kit lens for $699!

The tutoring graphical-based menu system is geared more to beginners, which I am not, so I find it maddening. Most will love it, since it is somewhat educational, and offers a great variety of pre-sets to take creative shots easily.

It is amazingly light weight - lighter than most lenses! It is very quiet. The AF could be faster, but it's plenty fast enough. When you dig deeper, you shockingly find that the D3200 has many advanced internal features from the highest-end cameras (D800 & F4). The high-res LCD rear screen, the EXPEED 3 image processing engine, and a new 24MP sensor. The EXPEED 3 image processing engine allows the D3200 to perform at an altitude unheard of for a so-called entry level camera. Nikon's Active-D dynamic range enhancement at 24MP at 4 frames per second requires substantial in-camera processing power.

I bought this camera primarily for still photography. With the proper lenses & technique, the results are stunning. Low-light/high ISO performance is far beyond what you should expect at this level camera. Candle-lit face images are noise-free, and look great. Still life's on a tripod at ISO 100, have more resolution that ANY DSLR I have ever used, with very little shadow noise. In short, I might not accept my D800 when it becomes available. I might use the D3200 longer than I thought, (waiting for the 24MP FX D600 for $1999 later this year -- my guesses on price & stats & date)...or, just keep using the D3200. If it breaks (I'm hard on cameras), I'll just buy a new one.

Bottom line -- the D3200: super light-weight, very quiet, super high resolution (& low noise, high dynamic range, superb colors), incredible HD video with slow motion. It is no doubt THE most amazing DSLR value on the planet!

5/14/12 UPDATE: I've now shot 100s of images, using lenses from 11 mm to 600 mm. I've learned a lot. Super-high resolution cameras are a new arena for most of us. On the surface, one automatically thinks you will get images with twice the resolution (12MP vs 24MP). Not so. MP resolution is measured linearly, so the increase while significant, is less than doubled. More importantly, when you enter the hi-res camera stratosphere, photographic technique & lens choice are critical. While these high MP cameras are capable of amazing results, you have to work to get absolutely ALL the MP's this camera has to offer. Do not blame the camera if your initial results are less dramatically sharper than your old 6-8-12MP Nikon. It's probably you...
BTW, the Nikon 18-55mm is a decent lens, but it doesn't do this imager justice. You can get better results, with better glass. The excellent f1.8 35mm DX Nikon on this camera makes a super-light weight compact package you can carry all day long, producing super images. A 60 year-old Nikkor Q 200mm f4, $70 or so on eBay, produces stunning results if carefully used on Manual, on a tripod.

Set-up a table with clean background and a few artifacts on it. Use the sharpest lens you have, at f 8, on a sturdy tripod, perpendicular to the table, Shoot the scene with the in-camera flash on both old & new camera bodies. You will see the difference easily when images from both cameras are compared side by side, enlarged to 100%.

How does this translate to everyday casual shooting? Not easily. Sub-par technique still results in sub-par images no matter what camera is used. If you are a beginner looking for the best entry-level DSLR ever made, all of this won't matter -- grab a D3200 and shoot away! Just note that the D3200 is capable of world-class imagery. If it takes more effort to take photographs of this caliber, it's a good thing -- the D3200 forces you to up your game to get there!

5/5/13 UPDATE. It's been a year. I have a D800 and a D3200. Yes, there are many differences between the two. One is at the high end of the spectrum, the other, entry level. When I'm shooting commercially, or seriously in any way, it's the D800. It is a superb camera, if you own glass that can fully exploit the 36MP sensor, and your technique is solid. For everything else, I use the D3200. Why? It's light and compact. You can easily carry it around all day, with the f1.8 35mm, and hardly know it's there. If that lens isn't wide enough, shoot a 3-frame series and stitch them together in Photoshop. Again, with good glass and technique, the results are very, very good. D800 territory? No, but few would notice. The D3200 is a pleasure to use, and handles fast enough for most kinds of photography. You can use old manual Nikkor lenses easily, albeit with a bit more effort. With the focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder, manual focusing is easy. Exposure can be guessed and adjusted using the great hi-res LCD. I recently had to shoot an emergency-rush job covering a politician's speech. All I had in the car was the D3200, the 35mm f1.8, and an old, sharp 100mm f2.8 E Nikkor -- my normal in-car-at all-times stash. The setting was indoors, in a bright garden area -- no flash allowed. I was surrounded by folks with Nikon D4's and $1500 lenses. I got a few looks....LOL. I boosted the ISO to 1600, used the $50 100mm @ f4 @1/125th, and the results were great, published in several places. The D3200 is a great camera for the money, I like it more now than when I first bought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby D800 ??, May 12, 2012
I had no plans to buy this camera, but eventually had to find a solution while waiting for my D800 to be delivered. I kind of felt, I could get some training by shooting high megapixel images on this entry level camera.

My first outing after the camera arrived was to some birdpark with absolutely no prior preparation. The manual is still in the box, only charged the battery overnight and brought a selection of lenses in addition to the kit lens.

First surprise, even the kit "plastic" lens performs really nicely on this camera. Due to the nature of the objects of interest, the remaining shoots were done on a 28-300mm.

I was accompanied by an experienced bird photographer and we took turns with the camera. Both made the following observations: From the angle of experienced Nikon users, this camera offers everything in terms of menus and dials to set the camera up the way one is used to from D90, D7000, D300s level cameras. This came as a surprise, as the D3200 does not have the front dial that we both were used to and familiar with. Nikon has done an surprisingly good job in making the menus very easy to access and after a short while, we where entirely concentrated on the shoot and only occasionally reminding ourself that this was "only" an entry-level DSLR.

At the same time, we were impressed how nice the software is tailored to the needs of a potential beginner, gently guiding him towards to goal of making better photos along the way.

The LCD screen on the back is a huge step forward from previous models, as it allowed to effortless pre-screen the shots taken. I was even carrying a laptop computer to better inspect the initial images, but after a short while we only resorted the the built-in screen.

The biggest surprise was however the image quality after we analyzed our initial >350 photos on a large monitor. The yield of usable photos was right out of the box very high, which reiterates the ease of use of this camera and the great auto-focus system (despite only 11 sensors). Also the smallish size of the body turned out to be less problematic, even with a bigger lens attached to it.

We found the image quality obtained to be absolutely stunning, the sharpness of the images was "picture perfect". Colors just the way one would expect them, as is the hall mark of any Nikon camera. Even small birds could be cropped from the 24 MP resulting in usable 7 MP images. Post-processing was a thrill and resulted in a substantial number of images clearly qualifying as publication quality.

Having seen both, the best and the worst in Nikon cameras, I can verify that this entry level DSLR is a keeper. Even though never planned, it will stay in the collection as a second body and now serves as the main camera until the D800 arrives.

If an entry level camera already is this good, what may be expected of the upcoming updates of the other DX models, the likes of D5100, D7000 and the D300s?

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer for the price., May 10, 2012
I only really purchased this as a studio cam. Don't need AF performance for that, nor high ISO's, but do need great resolution. So, with trepidation and reserve, I decided to try this one. I am coming from D700's, D3's, D7k's and other as my point of reference. I shoot for a living.

The good:

Resolution is excellent, especially when coupled with the 40mm macro from Nikon. I have shot a few hundred shots now and am very happy in that regard. The menus are simple enough that you can work them out if you already know Nikon's systems for menus. AF performance is great for this kind of body. Using my 17-55 with it, I could acquire focus only slightly slower that with the D7000. I tried in lower light to see how that worked, and while you could tell it was slower, it was not too bad. Every shot I have taken bar one (black dog in a dark room), was in focus as intended. So, AF is good for this kind of body. I like the layout of the controls too, everything was where it was expected to be.

The bad:

Small body means uncomfortable grip. However, that is what was expected, so I don't really think this is a "bad" for this camera. I expect a person with smaller hands will thoroughly enjoy that aspect. Lenses (all but smaller ones) are front heavy and fell off balance. Pop a 70-200 VR on this and it is silly unless you carry/hold it by the lens primarily. Lastly, there is no AF fine tune, but.... I have not found the need on even one of the lenses I will use it with to make any adjustments, so not too bad a thing.

Conclusion:

Get one if you want it for landscape, low speed portraits (esp families) or for product/architecture. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoot like a pro for 1/2 the price, September 26, 2013
I am a professional photographer, trained by the military to shoot under the worst conditions and get a usable image.
Comfort, lightweight and reliability are the top requirement meant for me in a camera. Image quality is of course the top priority.
The D3200 has each of these and then some.
My equipment that I own range from 35mm Pentax K1000 to the Nikon F1.
I shoot anything that moves and everything that doesn't, with abundant light or none at all.
I usually carry around $4000 in equipment wherever I go.
I saw the D3200 and it's features and took a chance buying it, not knowing the quality I would get but if worse came to worse, one of my daughters would get it if it failed to meet my standards.
I still have it.
As a matter of fact, I gave my D7000 to my daughter and kept the D3200.
I recently started shooting the high school football games for the newspaper as I always do in the fall and brought the D3200 with me for a test run on a scrimmage game.
The stadium lights were a joke and I eventually moved my ISO up to 3200 with a 2.8 70-200mm.
I uploaded the images later and I just could not believe my eyes.
Every shot was razor sharp
, color corrected perfectly and noise free.
I continued shooting football with the 3200 and when homecoming came around I was able to capture beautiful shots of both the game and court.
While I am not willing the relinquish the rest of my collection, I can say that I haven't picked up anything else since purchasing the D3200.
I can't believe this is considered an entry level camera.
If I have to put a complaint in my review, it would be the fact that the LCD screen is stationary. I never use the swivel screens on my other models but it would be nice knowing that I could if I had to.
Do yourself a favor. Take my word as a pro since 1980 and get the less expensive D3200 and spend the savings on a faster tele-lens.
This is a no-brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageous Camera for the Price!!, May 30, 2012
I was planning on purchasing a Nikon D7000, but then found out about this camera. Reading on the Nikon Rumors site, it appears that the D7000 may be replaced with a higher MP sensor (24.2 - same as the D3200) sometime this fall.

Not wanting to wait, I thought I'd give the D3200 a try. I still had to wait a bit, but finally got one from Amazon for $699 with Prime.

This thing is NOT a toy!! It is a serious piece of camera gear, and if you spend time getting to understand all it can do, it will pay off handsomely with incredible pictures. I would also recommend getting a good Digital Image Management program to get the most out of your pictures (I'm using Adobe LightRoom 3).

Doing some test shots with the D3200, those extra MegaPixels DO count, if you know what you are doing. My brother-in-law (who just bought a Nikon D800 for $3,000 with no lens) was surprised at a shot I took at 6000x4000 JPG resolution, hand-held with available light at 1/20th of a second with the "stock" lens that comes with the camera. You can blow the picture up to 36" and still not see any blur! You can get even HIGHER quality pictures by shooting in RAW format....

Exposure bracketing is the only thing missing, IMO, but if they threw that in NOBODY would buy the D5100 or D7000 - it's that good.

P.S. Make sure you get a HIGH Quality memory card to go with this camera. I got the SanDisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s SDHC Flash Memory Card (from Amazon, of course) and it's a great combo for burst shooting or HD Video use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, May 11, 2012
I am going to be honest, I have never owned a digital SLR camera (30 years old) even though I am very fond of photography as it is was my grandfather's profession in the early 20th century in Iran. This review is for those SLR beginners like myself. I have never had the money to spend on a digital SLR but since now we have twin boys at home and D3200 finally came out I felt justified to spend the extra bucks. Specially after being disappointed by and returning the Canon S100.

I have had the D3200 for 5 days now and even though I have not had the chance to take it outside that much, here are my impressions:
1. Pictures are amazingly crisp and true to the color, simply beautiful
2. FPS is fast and satisfying (although, with flash, not always fast enough for two 14 month old boys!). Now I find myself capturing motions that I could have never done before (compare to S100 of course)
3. Takes Amazing videos with great sound
4. Love the view finder, specially, since in this camera it's smarter and more detailed/informative than most LCDs
5. The manual booklet is a good start for someone like me, but you will have to do additional research and playing around to understand all the available options in the Menu
6. The Modes are quite useful once you understand them
7. The LCD screen is so well pixilated that you can see the quality of your pictures right there and then
8. The camera is the perfect size (specially if you're on the move and have your hands full already like me), light wight and grips well
9. Battery is still on the original charge after about 200 pics and 10 videos

Finally, I ordered the Wifi module last week but seems like Amazon is not going to get it anytime soon! I can't wait to try this functionality with my android. I will update the review once I get that but overall we love the Camera as is.

===================================================

Update 6/24/12 WMAU review

After waiting for 2 months on Amazon I finally got the WU wireless module from somewhere else by paying an extra $25 and cancelling my order on Amazon.

The module is pretty useful. Super small and comes with a cool case that attaches to your camera strap. Connects via WiFi to your phone (Android for now) and the associated wmau App (Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility) gives you the following 4 functionalities once you are connected Remotely:
1. Use the Camera to take pictures that will be downloaded and to your phone instantly. Take about a sec per pic.
2. Use the phone to take the pictures. can see the camera view live. Only provides the shutter options but it could come handy for taking family pictures on a tripod.
2. Downloads the pictures (temporary memory) for viewing on your phone in seconds. I had about 200 pics that were downloaded in about three seconds. From there you view and select the files that you actually want to download to your phone. Every time you close the app the temp pics will go away. You can select a picture or multiple pictures to download permanently to your phone.
4. You can "share" the downloaded photos. The share option gives you all the usual suspects, Facebook, Gmail, etc.

I like the last two option as I am betting all my techie friends on Facebook are wondering how I posted a family picture via mobile with this quality! :) Little secret iphone10!

Also, overall now that I have taken over 2000 pictures and 20 videos with D3200 all I can say to convey the quality of pictures, ease of use, speed, and other utilities made available in this camera are WOW and Love it! Money well spent and kudos to Nikon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera, as long as it suits your needs, July 14, 2012
This camera produces images on a par with the very best professional cameras that cost 6-10 times as much. However it does have some disadvantages. I'm going to list these first:

1) Lenses, the big one

It is crippled with older Nikon lenses. With most manual focus lenses, the meter won't function at all, not even as stop-down manual. You will get more function by mounting these lenses on a Canon using an adapter. Why Nikon cripple their cheaper cameras in this way is a mystery to me, but this is not for you if you own cherished Nikon lenses from the 35mm days.

It is not capable of autofocusing with older Nikon autofocus lenses (AF lenses). Only the newest "AF-S" lenses will autofocus.

The above are worse than they sound because even if you don't own Nikon lenses already, they still sell a lot of AF lenses and even a couple of manual focus lenses brand new, and don't have an AF-S equivalent. So you are restricting yourself to a smaller part of the Nikon lens range. However if you want manual focus, you can buy new manual focus lenses from suppliers like Zeiss or Rokinon that have the 'chip' which will allow the meter to work.

I am switching from a Canon system so the above aren't a big issue for me, but it surprised me - although old Canon FD lenses don't even fit on any new Canon, any Canon lens you can buy now will work on any Canon digital SLR.

[edited later - I am talking about full frame lenses - the EF-S lenses won't fit on a full frame camera]

2) Build quality

The camera is very small and light for a dSLR and built from plastic. I actually like this as I often carry the camera in a backpack, but if you want a camera you can throw around in the press pack, use in the rain or drop on the floor a lot, this isn't for you.

3) Viewfinder

The viewfinder is less good than more expensive Nikons, it uses mirrors rather than a prism and lacks depth of field preview. This helps keep the weight down but means the image is less crisp and bright, and does not cover the whole frame.

The above three are true of any of Nikon's cheaper, sub-thousand-dollar cameras.

OK, now the good:

1) Image quality

...is superb. At ISO 100, it is better than almost anything from Canon, including some of their professional cameras, at low ISO, and only really beaten by the Nikon D800. Colors are rich and dynamic range is huge. Check out DXOmark and others if you don't believe me, but this is also my practical experience. If you crank up the ISO the more expensive cameras start to outperform it, but it is still perfectly usable.

2) Very small and light

Great if you carry it with you a lot while doing other things.

3) Surprisingly fast

AF is quick with the right lens, and will take 4 shots a second easily even with the huge megapixel files.

4) Good ergonomics

For a small camera, all the important controls are easy to find and use while the camera is at your eye.

5) Good quality included lens

This is important because a lot of cameras are sold with a sub-standard lens but this is a good one. The sensor is so powerful, though, that it does reveal limitations of this lens and you will get better results from professional grade lenses- however these start at about twice what this camera costs together with the 18-55mm zoom.

Altogether, it takes incredible pictures, so unless you have lens issues as noted above, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, I guess the pictures are enough not to say any other word, June 4, 2012
I was very interested since it was announced and finally sold my D90 which I love forever and was my best nonliving friend since my son was born and bought this. although I was hesitant to sell D90 but I guess now the new little brother has a lot to say comparing to it.

Pictures are really vivid, great colors and much more closer to real colors of the environment, focusing is not different from D90 although is accurate and fast enough, it is very handy and much more lighter than D90 and handling is quite easy. the settings are very easily adjusted and lacking the other dial is really not making any difference to me at all.

I did not even use the 18-55mm lens and since I opened the box I added my Nikkor 35-f1.8 which is a huge addon to this camera.

resolution is interestigly not double but triple or more of the D90 actually. I know it is only twice of that but really much more improvement you'll see when compare those two.

colors, colors, colors, I love those. I am sure no other camera with in this price range can be compared to it. and even better ones can pass the scores in a hard way.
it is magnificent and no one will regret buying it.

Thank you Nikon.

Update 06/08/12:
I can't resist my temptation to state that it is more than what someone can expect from a $700 DSLR. the pictures are magnificent. Focusing is really fast and accurate even in total darkness. I love this box and happy for exchanging it with my D90. Resolution is unbilievably high and colors are really vivid. I have uploaded a few flower pictures in full resolution.

Best purchase ever for $700.

3.0 out of 5 stars An entry level camera, not as impressive as it could/should be (+ some recommendations), August 23, 2012
Darth Vader (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews

I skip repeating the features and specifications and just mention my final impression after using the camera in different conditions and with various lenses.

1. It is getting too small. A DSLR should be comfortable to hold. D5100 was on the small size too and now this one is a bit smaller. i use a battery grip with my D5100 for maximum grip and comfort.

2. Photos, out of camera, are not as smooth as those taken with D5100 and D7000. The extra megapixels didn't really add to the final picture quality, in my opinion.

3. Exposure is unpredictable and often on the overexposure side. I tried it in various lighting conditions. I am well aware that they are fixable both in and out of camera, but is it too much to ask to have nice photos when I pay quite a few hundred dollars?

4. Video quality is comparable to D5100. 60fps is a welcome change though.

5. It is expensive for what it is. It is perhaps targeting the first-time DSLR buyers with the wrong price tag. You can do much better if you are willing to spend that much. (I am referring to the price as of August 2012. Its price may be adjusted in near future.) You are better off buying less expensive DSLR and save money to spend on better quality lenses. Keep reading below for recommendations.

My recommendations (These are in case you have decided to buy a Nikon DSLR):
1. If you can, wait for D5200 (it is not out yet as of August 2012),
2. Get a D5100. It packs an impressive array of feature for the price,
3. Get a less expensive one if an entry level camera is what you are looking for. D3100 should be on sale these days,
4. I do not recommend D7000. It is a nice and able camera, of course. And I know that it has an impressive autofocus system. The difference just doesn't justify the hefty price tag for me. D5100 sports the very same sensor and produces identical picture quality for much less money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Picture Quality and Values, November 10, 2012
1) Picture quality: Exceptional for a supposedly-for-amateurs DSLR. I compare pictures taken with our Nikon D800, D300 and D40X, and our D3200 easily beats our D300 and D40X in terms of details, clarity and color depth, although still visibly not comparable to our D800 (which also benefits from its superior FX lenses). But with Photoshop on a 28-in HD monitor, besides the visibly more brilliant colors of the D800, I can only discern the D800's higher quality at 200% or higher magnification. At 100% (or Actual Pixels View) seeing the differences between our D3200 and D800 does require some careful examinations. It is no wonder DXO Marks ranks the D3200 among the best of Nikon professional and semi-professional DSLRs (Best of the Nikons: D800E (Best and also Industry Leader), D800, D600, D4, D3X, D3S, D3200, D3, D700, D7000; [...])
2) Ease of Use: The D3200 is so easy to use; there are many shooting modes to choose from with its top Dial. I typically only stay with Manual, Aperture-priority, Shutter-priority and (if in a point-and-shoot situation) Programmed-auto modes. But as with other (amateur's) Nikon DSLRs, the D3200 offers point-and-shoot (Auto, Auto Flash Off) and preset modes (Portrait, landscape, Child, Sports, Close-up, Night Portrait). And then there is GUIDE mode (with on-screen guides) as well.
3) Focus: There are many focus modes to give the maximum flexibility. However, I tend to stay with Spot (Single Area) Focus as I find with this much resolution, in high-magnification scrutiny, the Dynamic Area and the 3D Tracking Focus modes tend to give me a "softer" image.
4) Working with Nikkor DX lenses: The D3200 pictures are pretty much comparable in resolution with the D800 in DX mode with most of our DX lens collection, the only differences (visible at 200% or higher magnifications) are with our Nikkor DX 35mm F2.8 and Tokina DX 11-16mm F2.8 (which requires manual focus), where I can see better details than the D800 in DX mode (with DX lenses).
5) Working with Nikkor FX lenses (Manual Focus): Under very controlled situations and with a rigid tripod, the D3200 gives higher-detail results than the D800 in DX crop mode with our FX lenses.
6) No Auto-Focus with FX lens: Without an internal motor, the D3200 cannot auto-focus when the (superior) FX lenses are mounted. This manual focus requirement is not an issue for me - I just use the D3200 electronic range finder to focus my FX lenses.
7)Adjustments of Picture Quality: You can also choose how your picture quality can be controlled: Standard (default), Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape.
8) Active D-lighting: Very nice results when I face situations of high contrast. This is almost High-Dynamic-Range (HDR). However I usually have this off since I do post processing of the raw images with Photoshop.
OK, now some notes:
9) No bracketing: This is not an issue for me (personally I think this is an over-exaggerated feature anyway, I rarely use this capability with my D800, D300)
10) Light Metering: The D3200 Matrix metering has a tendency to overexpose a little in bright conditions; luckily it also offers exposure compensation up to a generous +/-5EV. I do advise that you take plenty of pictures in all metering modes as well as in Manual so you can tally up the effects and set the exposure compensation to get your best pictures results. Maybe Nikon will update the firmware to fix this.
11) SD Card: Please make sure you use the fastest card you can afford. The D3200 files (especially if you shoot RAW (NEF) and JPEG Fine together) are large and the camera does take time to store and display images.
12) HD Video Recording: The D3200 new 1080p25 and 1080p30 modes in addition to 1080p24 produce very nice videos - Live View is great - I find the continuous focusing during movie recording not only visually distracting but noisy and I just avoid it altogether and use single AF (AF-S) or manual focus for movies
13) The tabbed menu system with long pages does take some getting used to (it does appear cumbersome at first).
---Update---
5) I've found no auto-focus issues with the majority of my FX lenses (AF-S and AF-I). However, besides the 1.5X factor, the minor issue is the D3200 does not quite cover the view 100% in its viewfinder; please keep this in mind when composing your picture with the FX lenses, as your actual picture will be not be as large as what you see in the viewfinder.
10) After careful note-taking for a couple hundred photos, I've found that setting the D3200 to -1EV has yielded results pretty close to manually compensating the exposure via the viewfinder in most cases, including the case of the subject against strong bright background.

Rate and Discover Movies