Published 12 months ago by James

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera deserves 5 stars, this set was used, not new.
I expected a set in its original packaging. Not a camera in Japanese (Initial setup had been done), with the battery attached (should have come separately, in its own packaging), and with cheek marks all over the monitor. If I was shopping for a USED camera, this things would have been expected and dealt with. Not for a set sold as NEW.
Published 9 months ago by JV

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great camera, that can be ready to use by a novice, and gives great features for a professional's spare camera., November 30, 2013
James (McDonough, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm Non-VR DX Zoom Lenses (Electronics)
This is my second less than $1000 Nikon camera. I originally bought a Nikon D60, I wore it out, and now I bought this combo. I don't really need the lenses, but this went on sale so I figured I could use some spares. The Nikon D60 was rated for 50,000 shutter actuations, but the D3200 is rated for 100,000. The picture quality is better than my D60, 24 megapixels. But really after 10-12 megapixels, your lens really starts making a difference. The included 18-55 is a great kit lens. It is VR, which reduces vibrations. This really makes a difference if you are hand holding it, and chasing a little one, or taking snaps at the park. The kit I bought also includes a Nikor 55-200 non VR lens. The 55-200 would really benefit from the VR. This means, you should have more light, so that you don't get blurring due to movement from not being able to hold the camera steady. So, in well lit situations you probably won't tell. If you are doing stage performances where light is a minimum, you will need to use a tripod to keep your shots from being blurry when zoomed in, or buy the 55-200 (VR) lens in the future.

Nikon vs Canon is always a reasonable argument. Both make great cameras. Canon does stabilization on the imaging sensor, and Nikon uses their lenses. I also looked up shutter actuations (after my D60 stopped working due to a shutter error, I learned a lot about digital camera's life). Most Canons in this price range are rated for 50,000 actuations, which ended up being 5 years for me. After that, it is simply preference. There are way more Canon lenses available on the market. But if you aren't going to buy a $2000 + lens, then in the end it is something you will never miss. For most active families, a Nikor 18-55 (included in this) lens for close up, and a 55-200 (VR is preferred) lens will give you the versatility to be "That parent" That pulls out a nice camera at an event and gets a perfect picture, then put it down to watch the performance or event.

An important thing to remember with these lower model cameras is that memory speed is a big deal. The cameras have a buffer built in, which can hold 8-10 pictures. So the faster your memory, the more pictures you can take without the camera hesitating. I would recommend Sandisk SD Extreme. Memory is rated by speed. You will see a circle with a number in it. 10 or better will typically indicate better memory. The fast memory will really help when you are quickly capturing kids on the go. If you use faster memory, then use slower you notice it immediately in the response time that the camera is ready to snap more.

At the same time I got this, my sister in law got one for her family. This is a perfect kit for parents wanting to capture memories of their family. Sure, you can buy another camera for a few hundred dollars less. However, the options and durability of this camera is unmatched. A friend bought the model previous to this and dropped it. The camera body has a crack, but it just kept on snapping. You can actually buy the replacement parts easily, so her camera will be back to normal again.

The next model is the D5200, which looks like a great camera. The differences are minor, and for the money it didn't seem logical. The D3200 camera doesn't do in-camera HDR, and the sensor is slightly smaller. But it is already so good, it is a tough argument to make. The large models of Nikon are easier to hold. The grips are larger, and thus have a bigger body that a larger sensor and better internal mechanisms. This model has a "petite" body, which makes everything close. But I am a big guy, and it is better than holding a small camera the size of chicklet to snap my memories.

The Nikon D3200 fires up in 400ms. That means, you turn the camera off, then flip on on quick to grab that moment. By the time you turn it on and bring it up to your eye, it is ready. You can put the camera in live view as well, so that you can take pictures like you do on your smart phone, using the back screen as a real-time viewer. But the mirror internally has to move out of the way. This means, it takes a half second to snap the pict. Live view also burns your batter really fast.

The only other thing than a good memory card I would buy with this, would be an extra battery. The model is EN‑EL14, and if you are here, you already know how great amazon is. Stick with the Nikon battery, it is fail safe. Although my previous camera I used a generic battery and it worked. But it definitely didn't last as long as the Nikon battery life.

I have filled my house, and my family and friend's houses with pictures. This is a great camera, that can be ready to use by a novice, and gives great features for a professional's spare camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, February 8, 2014
Keeley Koons (LOUDONVILLE, OH, US) - See all my reviews
I absolutely LOVE my new camera! The picture quality is amazing and I can't wait until it's warm enough to go out and take more pictures. For a quality DSLR, this one is very user friendly and easy to get the hang of. I also love that I got two lenses. So much cheaper to do it this way and I was not disappointed in the least!

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy with my new camera!, January 22, 2014
Lazo V (Johnstown, PA) - See all my reviews
I am a non-professional photographer -- I love taking pictures of my children -- and this camera does everything I need it to (and more).

I received this camera for Christmas to replace my Nikon D70 (which is quite old...but quite reliable), and was happy with the price (which included 2 lenses).

Overall, a solid DSLR camera for non-professional photographers.

4.0 out of 5 stars camera is all that I expected, February 22, 2014
There is so much to learn as far as features and I have had the opportunity to touch just the surface. Looking forward to learning and being more confident using this excellent camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera!, February 7, 2014
Pascalita (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
Great camera for begginers, i love it!, my potos are just amazing!, i am so happy we bought it! 100% positive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant camara., December 31, 2013
This is my what I call 'High End' camara for me and I am impressed very much with what I get for pictures. Very easy to operate, focus, and capture anything I want to.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a gift, December 18, 2013
I have watched for this combination of lenses offered with this camera. The real deal would have been at $496.00 but was still good at $549.00.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable priced camera package and it works., August 8, 2014
Love it. A suggestion, If you are not planning to use a tripod when using the 200mm lens, be sure to upgrade to the VR. I do use a tripod or mono-pod and the picture quality is great at 200mm. I am still learning all that this unit offers. I purchased and installed a 64GB SD card and it is working great. I like to shoot videos and with the 64GB I don't worry about running out of space. The video quality is good. The battery has worked well it lasts for a couple of days worth of shooting and videoing. I did purchase a back up battery and fast charger. The batteries both have good shelf life as well as in service life. The camera is well traveled and has been to several different countries.The camera has been through x-ray machines at airports and customs and has indicated that these devices are not a threat to it. I've not had any corruption of the pictures or videos. Purchase a lens filter to protect the lens face and always use your lens cap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Camera, December 30, 2013
This was a great black Friday purchase. I love the camera, it is reliable and everything you would expect from Nikon.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are happy newbies, December 30, 2013
We got tired of point and shoots. This Nikon can do so much that we were even taking pictures of portraits just for fun. We are absolutely in love with this camera. Nikon makes higher end cameras, but this is a super camera for the new photographer. Let us say that we are stunned with the quality of the images. For those that think that MP are everything (and the 24 MP here are quite impressive), it's the optics and the camera that make this camera stand out versus most other modern cameras. The lenses provided, though super for us, are low end for Nikon, which means as we gain experience we will buy new lenses instead of new cameras. So in summary, unless you are already an experienced photographer, I don't think you can do better than this camera.