5.0 out of 5 stars So far I'm loving it!
Published 13 months ago by graysonsmom

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, that lens is not VR
VR stands for vibration reduction, and that particular lens, 11-27.5mm, does not exist in a VR version, you can check that on Nikon's website. I think it's a mistake amazon has made when naming the product. I had to send it back and get the J3 that comes with a slightly better lens that happens to be VR. Other than that, it is a really good camera but I can't give this...
Published 9 months ago by Freddy Mac Kee

5.0 out of 5 stars So far I'm loving it!, March 8, 2013
I have had my S1 for just 2 days. I also purchased the Sony NEX-F3 and I'm leaning towards keeping the Nikon 1 S1. Both are taking great images and are both easy to use and navigate through the menus. I am using prime lenses on both (f/1.8). I need to also play around with the kit lenses some. I love the nikon feature of taking a video of my two little ones and being able to also take still photos. One of the features that most appealed to me and it works great! With big moments like their first steps, you can have a video and stills. Genius! The s1 is my favorite so far bc of that feature, as well as it being smaller and lighter. I was able to put it in my north face fleece jacket pocket this morning. Both cameras have been able to keep up with my kids moving so quickly as well, in low light the images aren't AS sharp as my dslr (nikon d5000) may be, but they are not blurry like my point and shoot type camera or my iphone 4s and with more practice, I'm sure they will improve or with using the flash. I'm actually considering selling my dslr now. This is the perfect camera for us because it keeps up with our kids' speed, has the simultaneous video and stills, and is small enough to fit in my diaper bag or carry around while taking pics of my 2 year old and 6 month old. Much more convenient than my big Nikon d5000. I researched for weeks and read so many negative reviews online from professional photog websites and blogs, so I kept second guessing my desire for the nikon 1, but I should have just ordered it weeks ago. I can't review the service on here bc I ended up ordering from an online photog store, but amazon always does a great job for us. I will update later, but wanted to review since I couldn't find many reviews when I was shopping. And just a side note, I'm not a professional photog, just a mom wanting great pics of her kids. I have taken a short course on taking pics in manual so I do know a tiny bit, but the nikon s1 would be easy for a beginner bc of the menus having descriptions of what aperture mode or shutter priority is. It's so easy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get camera with tons of features, August 9, 2013
Padlocked (Moore, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I own several of Nikon's mid-to-high end DSLR cameras. I wanted something a little more compact that I could carry around to capture everyday candid shots while traveling and something I could use to teach my wife and daughter more about photography. This camera has so many functions it can be hard trying to remember them all. It has most of the features you would find on the upper end DSLRs like shutter and aperture priority, plus a host of many other features. We have not purchased or attempted to swap lenses yet but the collar mechanism seems just a solid as other Nikon builds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good as a back up camera., October 29, 2013
M. Koch "clickitgood" (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon 1 S1 10.1 MP HD Digital Camera with 11-27.5mm VR 1 NIKKOR Lens (Black) (Electronics)
Seeing as how it costs much less than the enthusiast models like the Canon s120 or Panasonic LX7 and so on...I believe it makes pictures just as good or better than those cameras. The benefit this has over enthusiast models is the larger sensor (same as the RX100 but half the price) and the ability to buy lenses that will increase photo quality.
Pros:
Quick Focusing
Good shot to shot time (could be better)
Nice effects in camera
Nice placement of video button
Very effective auto mode
Good color renditions even in mixed light
15 fps is really great with kids
Backlighting mode is a great HDR tool that captures more tonality than my SLR
Quick access to shooting modes, drive, flash, and exposure compensation
Good Battery Life
Cons:
No Panorama Mode!
No touchscreen, Wifi, Touch to focus, or GPS
Cannot operate flash while camera is in anything but single shot drive
Fiddly menu and menu diving if you are not happy with auto results
No vibration reduction and slow lens (but makes the lens more compact)
Backlighting mode is only appropriate for slow moving objects.
You get what you pay for. A lot of my cons are items that would increase the size/cost of the camera and I would not like it if it was any bigger or more expensive. I feel it fits a sweetspot as a family camera that can be serious if you are patient with the menus.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions: A new take on proven first gen. N1, February 27, 2013
It just been a few days with the Nikon 1 S1. I lost my original first generation N1 V1 camera, so I have few lens with no body. I will be using a neck strap, even tho you could put this camera in a pocket. I like the output from the 10.1 MP Sensor. There is a newer 14 MP sensor, but I don't feel like its completely different level of image improvement for my needs. I plan on having two N1 bodies someday, just going with the smaller sibling first. The N1 S1 has no AA filter, I guess a new trend lately.

No mode dial means it won't get in the way
Another kit lens option
It nails focus fast
Bounce Flash
Slow View
Can add lens for range of f-stops not available on point shoots
Compact and Light
No touchscreen means it won't get in the way
Screen is bright and colors look good for 460k
No compromised short Powerzoom lens, longer PZ in lineup already.

Dislikes
Playback of images on display options (3) (1) no information (2) basic (Jpg#, Date, Size) with no values for shutter, ISO, F range (3) detailed give you all values with histogram with small image. I wish option 2 had different values.
No panorama mode

Could like
Just abit bigger for Hotshoe. OLED display.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEAST in Pink, April 2, 2013
This little camera is unbelievably powerful. Bought it for my wife as a point and shoot because she doesnt feel comfortable taking the D7000 everywhere. The photos in "Auto" on this camera are sensational and it is really easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon S1 - Great Camera like other Nikon 1 but I prefer the J1 or J2 over this model, November 6, 2013
Excellent Compact Camera that is very capable. I am owner of Nikon J1 and V1. I bought this because of the low price on a used one. It's smaller than J1 (same size as J3) and essentially all the features of J1. I like the pop up flash on this one better because it can be tilted to bounce the light manually. Still, the controls are not as good as a J1 in my opinion. I don't like the new graphic menu system and much prefer the older menu as I was able to navigate it more quickly. The new menu reminds of Sony Nex which I also thought confusing in how they organized it. Also, you can get a better deal on a older "new" or "like new" J1. I would personally get the older J1 for the better control than the S1. I would even prefer J2 with same control as the J1 with better display and added features like panorama and art filters. You are also able to turn the camera off by retracting the lens as a J2 like the S1. (I personally don't mind pushing the power button to turn the camera off. Extending the lens to turn on is more essential than retracting the lens to turn it off anyways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice all around camera, October 16, 2013
I have been shopping around and the Nikon series was not originally on my short list.
But when I came upon this deal for a two lens camera, I could not resist. Having owned a Nikon D50 for over 6 years, i decided to stick with the brand.
My main objective was to have a small camera, didn't have to fit in pocket, that was able to shoot indoors with or without the flash, by the way the pointing up of the flash is a great feature, and be able to take shots at outdoor sporting events, like kids soccer games or bring along to the race track.
I rated this camera a five since I was well aware that it was going to be a plastic body when I ordered it and for the color, I actually like it.
After my first two weeks, I have taken some of the most amazing pictures ever. I'm thinking that the fact that I had the camera with me at the right time helped also.
An added bonus is the video. I am sorry that I had purchased a Sony Camcorder a couple of months ago- I went on a recent trip to visit my grandchild and did not take the sony out of the case once. I had more than enough good footage from the Nikon.
So if color is not a preference and the price drops again, I would highly recommend this camera for the beginner to the more serious user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !!, April 11, 2014
Josue "Josue" (Grand Prairie, TX) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my sister for X-Mas and she loved it. I used it first for our New Years party and the pictures came out great !! Thinking about buying one for myself !

5.0 out of 5 stars Good camera!, April 6, 2014
Good camera, easy to use. I bought this to use at concerts; which I haven't been to one yet so we'll see in about a week or two if its good for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice camera, March 19, 2014
it a nice camera but I wanted more of a zoom lens. Delivery was fast Have not yet develop pic yet nice beginner camera if you want more than just a point and shoot

ARRAY(0x9f5a5af8)