4.0 out of 5 stars A fun camera with a few little flaws and lots of new stuff.
I am a professional photographer and have been for a long time. I also write books about photography. I like cameras and own many different kinds, from medium format film cameras to super zoom compacts. But I've been very interested in the whole category of mirrorless cameras for the two years. I own three different Olympus Pen cameras, including the new Pen EP3, so...
Published on November 1, 2011 by Kirk Tuck

2.0 out of 5 stars My first disappointing Nikon camera
Published on July 23, 2012 by vascman

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon DSLR level images, almost, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Nikon 1 V1 10.1 MP HD Digital Camera System with 10-30mm VR 1 NIKKOR Lens (Black) (Camera)
After 9 months use I still like it.....in fact even better than before. I have and have had several small cameras from the major manufacturers over the years. The 1V1 is the first to stand the test of time. Before, after a month or two a small camera would be left at home, then given to a friend. Not so with the 1V1. It goes by itself or as a secondary camera for close-up or telephoto work. The kit lens is just fine for most activities where I need lightweight but it is my camera of choice in many close-up or telephoto situations, a D600 or D300 for IR Black & White otherwise. I pair the 1V1 with a prime for quality. The older AIS (manual focus) and AF lenses are superb with the 1V1/FT-1 combo. A welcome addition is the new firmware that allows AFC focusing for the AFS lenses. So new additions to my kit in the Nikon line will most likely be in the Nikon 1 family.

............

I have been using the 1 V1 for about a month now and am approaching 2000 images. I also have a D600 which I ordered from Amazon the day it was released. To put into context my review I would point out that I am 70 yrs old and an avid hiker/photographer carrying a camera around in the Southern Appalachians or the Rockies sometimes 30-40 miles a week. I have been shooting DSLRs since the film days and Nikon since 2003. Lightweight gear and quality photos is important to me.

I say almost DSLR level images because at the dynamic range and resolution of the camera the images from the 1 V1 are last generation DSLR in the Nikon line. I own a D300 and my comment is based on comparing the specifications of the 1 V1 to this camera. That said the 1 V1 images are to me of the same quality as my DSLR images. I must clarify this because clearly the D600 at 24mp with about 3ev more dynamic range and better noise performance will out shine the 1 V1 on most any image comparison I have done. But down sample an image for use on the web as compared to making a big print and wow I find myself saying "now which camera did I use for this picture?" And I have to look at the exif file to see. For me this is the answer to the question of quality.

As for handling, I am in love with this little jewel. Oh yes I would rather have the iso changeable with a dial and the other dials us advanced amateurs like, but is it worth $400 for these features that can be found on other models.....not to me. Most of the time I am shooting aperture priority with a manual prime lens. So I only need to turn on the timer or change the iso or the exposure bias. I find myself mostly having to go to the menu system to change the iso.

Finally the 2.7 crop factor means that I will normally carry this camera with the 10-30mm kit lens or most times with a lightweight telephoto such as the 85 or 105mm F-mount Nikkors or my favorite lightweight, the micro Nikkor AIS 200mm f/4. On a bright day I expect to be able to hand hold the 200mm and shoot a small bird at 1/10,000 to 1/12,000 sec f/4-5.6 at ISO 800 -1600. This is a 35mm equivalent of 540mm. For more reach and auto-focus I can add the TC17 and the heavier Nikkor 300mm f/4 and still hand hold the camera. This is 1377 mm in 35mm equivalent angle. This bright little low noise CX sensor with an electronic shutter that can go to 1/16,000 sec and the Nikon FT-1 is the magic of the Nikon 1 brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compact for fast action. "Enthusiasts" look elsewhere., January 21, 2012
Mikhail Arkhipov (Woodinville, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Nikon V1 is a niche camera and it is not for most "enthusiasts". This is camera with much larger sensor that typical compacts, with 10/2.8 lens it fits into a pocket. It is the only compact camera with phase detection autofocus and is very suitable for shooting moving subjects, read: kids and their games. Due to much larger sensor it also does much better in low light that your typical compact. Enthusiasts complain about lack of manual control dials, etc - so if you want one, V1 is not a camera for you, go get Sony NEX or 4/3 camera or new Canon G1X. However, if you want to make a nice gift to your wife who does not want lug around DSLR but wants high quality pictures of kids, this is the camera to get. V1 has excellent mode that takes several pictures in succession and then picks 3-4 best shots automatically. Optional flash is tiny and yet it can be tilted for bounce flash. Add zoom for video and you are all set for a soccer game. And don't forget high fps video mode so you can get action in slow motion.

V1 is also one of the few compact cameras with viewfinder. If you have to wear glasses when reading, framing on back LCD screen is a pain. Viewfinder is so much more convenient and V1 sports excellent EVF.

It is also a good camera for a street photography enthusiast since it is absolutely silent, fast and autofocus is excellent in normal light and does very well tracking moving subjects. Now, if you want DOF control or best possible low light performance - look elsewhere. Canon G1X or Fuji X100 or Panny GH2 are probably better choices (mentioning cameras with viewfinder).

5.0 out of 5 stars Ensure everything is sharp and clear, November 20, 2011
X. P (NH United States) - See all my reviews
I don't need anoth DSLR but a small camera for travel and family photos. The fast autofocus Nikon V1 gets my attention.
There are some excellent reviews on the internet (Bob Galbraith and Steve Huff) but I'd like to say two points.
1)Autofocus is extremely quick. Ensure everything is sharp and clear
2)The Electronic Viewfinder is a pleasant surprise, I don't need my reading glasses to framing, reviewing images and to setting up menus. Everything is sharp and clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Astonishingly Good Option for a Nikon Shooter, December 2, 2012
My goal for the Nikon 1 V1 was from the first a DSLR replacement. I've been a user of Nikon DSLRs for a decade, and I've got a lot of Nikon lenses to show for it! The problem is that I have too many for some trips; adventure travel isn't a place where you can change lenses so if you need just the right lens you end up with a DSLR back for each one. That's a lot of bulk and weight, particularly for lenses you only need for special situations. My normal shooting is with a D7000 and 80-400mm VR lens and I had a D200 with a 17-55 DX lens for closer work. The problem was that the lens zoom range ended well short of the 80-400 and the D200 is a big and heavy body. I decided to try the Nikon 1 V1 as an alternative to buying another D7000, and I also got my wife a J1 at the same time.

The camera is much more solid than you'd think from the pictures; it doesn't feel chintzy. The standard kit lenses (10-30 and 30-110) work fine, probably at least as well as the standard kit lenses on the D3000 or D5000 series. Since the Nikon 1 has a smaller CCD, the "focal multiplier" is 2.7, so the 110 end of the zoom is nearly 300mm in 35mm terms. My wife uses the kit lenses exclusively and in most shots it's hard to tell the difference.

If you want to mount a "real" Nikon or Nikon-compatible DSLR lens, you need the FT-1 adapter, which provides not only the fitting of the lens but also a place to attach a tripod or strap. DO NOT put one of the big lenses on if you plan to hang the Nikon 1 around your neck on a standard camera-back strap, or use the wrist strap! It will put too much strain on the mount. I got a BlackRapid RS7 to use as a strap; it can attach to the FT1 or to the tripod collar of a big lens. Up to about 200mm the FT-1 mount point seems fine for a strap, but heavy lenses will hang funny if you don't use the lens collar as the mount point.

The D200 is a 10MP camera just like the Nikon 1 and I hoped to get equivalent pictures, but the Nikon 1 did MUCH better. The ISO range on the Nikon 1 is 100-6400, while the D200 only went to ISO 1600. The extra ISO headroom is great for wildlife shots, and digital noise at ISO 3200 (the top end of the auto-ISO range) is better than the D200 at ISO 1600. With a touch of noise reduction, all the images I've shot are fine even at ISO 6400.

Two recommendations on the camera if you're a DSLR shooter. First, set the exposure mode to Manual or Shutter Priority; Program Mode isn't useful with Auto-ISO because you can't really control the shutter speed and with the normal DSLR lenses (which are typically longer focal length) the 2.7 multiplier on the Nikon 1 makes hand-holding difficult. Second, SHOOT IN RAW MODE! There is an enormous difference in image quality between JPEG and RAW.

I liked the first Nikon 1 V1 so much I bought a second one, so now for wildlife trips I hope to have one permanently mounted on the 500mm and one on the 17-55, which turns out to be a great walkaround lens for the Nikon 1. Great camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nikon V1 is sturdy and versatile little beast [updated after 1 year of constant use], November 9, 2012
I have owned the Nikon V1 wide angle kit for some months now. I shoot candid photos, and landscape panoramics. This machine was designed to perfection for my needs. It's very simple looking black body does not disturb people, and they relax very quickly after noticing it. Maybe it looks enough like a cell phone with the very small 10mm prime lens attached.

I chuckled about it's manual shutter until I tried it. The sound and slight vibration of it's operation give me valuable tactile input. It also seems to give better results. The 5 frames per second continuous mode is about right for gentle action like rock climbing or changing facial expressions.

I have been shooting raw frames, and am very satisfied with the sharpness and color saturation that the cx sensor is capable of. The kit lens has some distortion, which can be removed easily. The 10 mm prime lens captures images that are good right out of the camera. Also, this prime lens has no moving parts on the outside. It is suited to our desert air, which is burdened with dust. It does not change length, so once it is attached [hopefully, in a clean location], it has no way to draw dust into the body.

The 10 megapixel limit of the sensor can be daunting. I shoot my landscapes with 3 to 30 overlapping frames, ending up with a huge image that can be printed out mural-sized. So, the 10 mp frame is plenty of resolution. I benefit from the speed of the camera, because I have to pivot the camera on the tripod, and trigger it multiple times with the remote, all before the clouds move very far. If you must do this with a single frame, you will have to spend quite a bit more for the body and lenses.

As far as build quality, this model is very strong. It looks simple and pretty, feels like a little brick of solid metal in the hand, and operates like a miniature professional camera. The electronic viewfinder is perfect for eye level operation in all conditions, and the screen works very well when holding the camera at arms length, or using it on a tripod. I have never once wished for the screen to tilt, or accept touch commands. I prefer sturdy build and simplicity to wealth of features.

The menu system works well once you find everything. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of full manual operation. Shutter and aperture each have a control. There is an exposure indicator, but the live view does not reflect the exposure chosen. You have to snap one to see where you are at. It is better to use manual focus for low light landscapes to prevent focus seeking. Then, you must remember to switch back to auto, or all subsequent shots will be blurry. There is a warning in the evf and on the screen than you are still in manual focus mode, but there is no external switch to remind you.

The external flash is a must if you will face low light, and it works really well without requiring it's own batteries. It swivels in many directions, and throws enough light for nighttime gatherings and to provide fill flash of flowers and portraits and pets. The 18.5 mm f1.8 lens with the small 'innie' hood works very well with the flash, as the coverage is very even at this focal length, the focus assist light is not blocked, and enough light hits the sensor to focus easily. I am glad that Nikon did not include a pop up flash on this model.

In short, if you like simple, durable devices, and you do not require more than a 10 mega pixel sensor, this little camera [and it's surprisingly sharp lenses] might be for you.

update after one year:

I have been shooting the V1 pretty constantly for the last year. I learned a lot about the wonderful machine, and do not regret my choice in any way. I have added the 30 - 110 mm zoom, and the 18.5 mm f1.8 prime, and really can't say enough about the sharpness and color and contrast of these optics.

The long zoom has uncanny ability to cut through distance haze, and remains contrasty and crisp in difficult lighting conditions like strong backlight. The huge lens hood is an absolute must for anything but night shots. And, as i feared, the lens's huge range of expansion brings dust into the interior, where is makes the action raspy. I have not noticed reduced optical quality, but i think that primes will last much, much longer than zooms in dirty or damp environments.

The 18.5 is the perfect normal lens, and I am never tempted to attach the 10 - 30 mm kit lens with the 2 primes in my bag. The exception is macro stills and video, where the kit lens focuses well, and the active Vibration Reduction compensates for hand shake or tripod jiggle. An example is: [...] is a 4 minute beekeeping documentary that i shot with the kit lens and a spindly tripod.

I have not dropped the camera onto a hard surface, but have used it for roped shooting of rock climbing in high winds, and rainy hikes. It has taken many blows without any complaint, and has worn 2 system bags to tatters! i get lots more usable video footage and sharper stills than with other camera models that I have tried. [And, i get less tired holding it!]

As far as processing is concerned, The lens profiles are available from adobe, by downloading the newest dng converter. One should not even look at the raw images [especially those of the crazy sharp 18.5 mm] without applying the lens corrections. Once corrected, images from every lens are evenly lit and free of distortion and fringing. They are very suitable for automatically stitching together. You will have to use this technique to print huge images from this small sensor. holding the camera vertically, and shooting 3 overlapping shots left to right gives you a single horizontal composite image that could have come from the D 800 E.

I have ordered the 20 dollar fotodiox f mount adaptor, and plan to experiment with legacy glass next. I have the 75 - 150 zoom, and will order the renowned 50 mm f1.8 manual focus prime as well. Sports should be quite impossible with manual focus and exposure, but the sunsets and night shots are already done using a tripod, and with manual settings. I will order a set of extension tubes with the 50 mm lens, as these old optics might make pretty good macro lenses. You will see a detailed update to this review after my experiments.

Once again, if you are worried about the postage stamp sized sensor, I suggest that you order a 300 dollar V1 body and the 18.5 mm prime lens. Give it a week or 2 to get used to it before you start forming your opinion. The menu system and the fast prime are both a little hard to use at first. To shoot single shots rapidly, you have to press the shutter halfway down when the annoying preview appears. Other times, it is relaxing to evaluate the preview for a few seconds without the hurry. You will get many many great action shots by using the 5 frame per second manual shutter and a fast SD card. The clicking of the leaf shutter in the lens seems to give a better result, and the right amount of sensory input for your timing. You will get the expressions that you have always longed for by shooting people at 10 frames per second with the electronic shutter. It is silent, and there is no hint that you are shooting. You see a sort of movie of the shots that is useful for composing, but neither subject or photographer gets much sensory input.

The One Year Verdict?

This is the best candid or street camera available for the price. One routinely gets strangely great video, and crispy, focused stills for panoramic compositions or smaller sports shots. It is a pretty good macro camera for birds and bees and such. You will be limited to about a 2 foot print with a carefully processed 10 megapixel shot. You WILL need a larger sensor to obtain the shallowest depth of field, take very long exposures [without noise], or to print out a mural from a single still. you will need the weather sealed model [the AW1], and one of the 2 O-ring lenses to go under water.

And a final warning. The lenses for this system are cost effective, but they are addictive. It is hard to stop thinking about and ordering new optics. And, you will not experience much benefit from the new lens mount if you do change the lens! This is a strong, growing system, and it appears to be here for the long haul. It is for folks that love light and photography and portability, and not so great for those that love to compare complicated gizmos. It can be with you at all times, freeing you from the agonizing 'take or not take' choice! Thanks for reading!

On using the manual focus, manual aperture lenses

I have used 3 of the Nikkor ais lenses with the V1 at this point. I have been using the fotodiox adapter, which has it's own tripod mount. The lenses can be carried in ones bag with the adapter attached and a spare series one rear lens cap to seal it up.

I have written detailed instructions for using the manual lenses with the fotodiox adapter in my review for that product. So here, I will talk about what the legacy glass does to the systems usability.

The 50 mm f1.8 ais is a must! Attached to the adapter, it is roughly the same size as the 30 - 110 mm zoom collapsed, and maybe twice the weight. The first element is deeply recessed, and can be used safely with no hood. It gets absurdly sharp images that compare favorably with those obtained using the 18.5 mm f1.8. And where that is a 200 dollar normal lens, this is a 135 mm equivalent of the same impressive speed. and, It will cost less, even with an adapter and a metal hood. I was worried about finding my own exposure without any help from the camera, but the V1's rapid shooting speed allow one to fine tune their exposure in 30 seconds or so. What you see in the viewfinder is adjusted, but the review that shows up after the shot reflects the recorded exposure. A peak at the histogram is sometimes needed. Manual focus turned out to be much easier than expected, even without viewfinder magnification. You can focus before closing the aperture for precision, or after, to control the depth of field very carefully. I get about 70 - 80 % crispy shots, so I shoot some extras.

the 75 - 150 f3.5 E lens covers the next range of focal lengths. It shoots like a fast 200 - 400 mm equivalent. Because one is only using the center, it is sharp from edge to edge throughout it's range. You would think that a lens with this much magnification would not be useful without VR, But some low light sports shots quickly cured me of that confusion. I had some blurry shots from my poor panning, and some focusing errors, and a decent percentage of crispy raw images. These early manual lenses are very small and easy to handle, and use standard 52mm filters and hoods. Once you mount the long lens on a sturdy tripod, focus carefully, and stop the lens down, every landscape shot is perfect. The sharpness and contrast are extreme, and the color is different than the 1 lenses, but great! The lack of auto-focus and auto exposure is a benefit for landscapes. The cost is a tiny fraction of what one would pay for a 'modern' lens, and the build quality surpasses any plastic lens by a mile. Get this lens for 60 dollars, and if you can not focus it, it will be the coolest paperweight that anyone has [or, you can throw it at this reviewer!]

the 43 - 86 f3.5 ais is the first compact zoom lens that Nikon ever made. It is still an amazing short telephoto on the 1 system, and a handy portrait lens on a dx or fx sensor. You get the idea. You can have a handful of the cheap adapters, and a big bag of sharp, fast manual glass for the price of a modern plastic zoom lens. I have ordered more adapters, as well as extension tubes and hoods. The next lens that i will get is either the 200 mm f4 ais or the 300 mm f4.5 ais. I will post a few full resolution samples taken with legacy glass at my picasa page.

4.0 out of 5 stars A no fuss camera with excellent performance, February 3, 2012
I've grown to really like the Nikon V1. When I bought it, I sort of had a buyer's remorse, because I felt like I was buying an overpriced point and shoot, small sensor camera.

Now, having shot with it for a few weeks under several weather/lighting conditions, I am honestly impressed with its performance. I have been shooting mostly with the 10mm lens since it is the only lens (at the moment) that would make the camera more or less pocketable (in my winter jacket). It's also fun shooting with it. I've been using the EVF most of the time. One thing that annoys many users is the camera has no option to turn off picture preview after a shot's been taken. It really doesn't bother me because if I need to get that "moment" I would shoot with "electronic (high)" shutter and shoot away at 60fps.

While the camera is overall impressively responsive, one thing that does slows down the camera is the "auto power off" mode that is set to 30-sec by default. If camera's not used for 30 sec, the green light blinks and puts the camera in some sort of sleep mode before turning off. To "wake up" from the sleep mode, it takes about 3 seconds of so by pressing any buttons. I have missed shots because of this. There is also about one second lag to activate the EVF. I wish the EVF could be turned on all the time.

Another annoying thing is how loose the "multi accessory port cover" is. It comes/slides off very easily and I can see it getting lost one day. Now, the third annoying thing is how easily the mode dial turns. More than often, when I take out the camera to shoot, the mode dial is set to movie from getting moved around.

Anyway, from my experience using the V1, it feels like the camera was meant to be for the photographer who cares more about the photo than the camera's technical specs. It's a user-friendly camera that gets (most of) the job done. I also see it as a great travel-camera because it's well-built, small(ish) profiled that can be carried everywhere, and the image quality is perfectly fine for the web and 8x10 prints. Perhaps the V1 might disappoint pixel-peepers who shoot with full frame or larger sensor cameras because it's not as "sharp" or detailed as an image that's been shot with a larger sensor on a high quality lens, or those "bokeh lovers" who want shallow depth of field. I've posted many pictures on Flickr using the V1--flickr(dot)com/photos/soelin/

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought i would hate it and don't was actually surprised however be careful of its limitations, May 19, 2013
I bought this at Christmas when the V1 dropped to $300.00. It has a view finder, little of the traditional external controls in more expensive cameras, plus it does not support traditional Nikon flash units. This camera has idiosyncracies you have to learn to live with.

I recently started shooting video with the FT1 adapter and various Nikon and Sigma lenses. I have to say the 1080/60 frames per second is nicely done and makes for top notch video. It gives the extreme magnification to four video at a much lower cost than elsewhere. You do get a 1200 frames per second, at a very reduced resolution, but it can produce super slow motion at 420 resolution!

Image quality: I find no fault with the sensor or image quality. I think It does a great job for what it is. Being larger an APS-C, 4/3, or Full Frame sensors will create higher resolution images.

Biggest gripe deals if you change settings much: The control system is menu based and if things like having to change your ISO range is important you dig around in the menu system. There is no alternative to digging!

NOTE: There is one external control a toggle switch which I leave in Aperture priority to change F Stops most of the time. This leaves shutter priority to the camera. SO DO I MISS EXTERNAL CONTROL? NO, Was the blogging press and blogosphere upset about this? YES! Does it matter? It PAINS ME TO SAY THIS as I still shoot other cameras(Nikon D7000 and 3 view cameras shooting 4X5 sheet film) in manual mode --NOT AT ALL! This is the crux of this camera. It's got idiosyncracies. You have to live with the default settings most other cameras allow you to have control over. For the few controls this camera has you need to decide if having fewer control at your fingertips is important to how you shoot. I would down load the manual make a check list of camera controls you actually use and see if you have to have them at your finger tips. For most photographers the answer is probably no.

The last used/selected menu setting will come up when you next access the menu system I switch between color and monochrome so can do this change over easily. I would look over the menu settings to see if you can live with Nikons choices to see if they match your shooting style.

Gripe # 2: There is no internal flash and existing Nikon compatible external flash units wont work so you can't do TTL. There is no flash adapter for other nikon or 3rd party flashes. If this is important to your shooting you are forced to buy the external flash currently at $150.00. I happen to use radio remote triggers - pocket wizards- and there is no work around for this you have to live with weaker flash. If this is not important today that's fine. if you are a Strobist shooter or will start using flash units you can only trigger external flash units opticially with the propritary V1 flash. I have Nikon SB 800 and 700 external flash units and they don't work with this camera. There are NO adapters and Nikon does not seem to have any plans to make adapters.

Lenses selection: Nikon seems to be releasing fairly good quality zoom and prime lenses making this into a system rather than a product.

Other likes which are reflected in my personal shooting style.
Electronic shutter is totally silent and I have used it in documentary situations to avoid shutter noise.
Continuous shooting is very fast.
Electronic View Finder. Works great and I don't miss mirror based systems at all.
Small compact light weight. With an extra zoom lens you can carry a system in your pocket and not have tired shoulders at the end of the day.
Same battery as my D7000 a big plus. Extra bonus the battery lasts a long long time. Did I mention it lasts a long time. After using this camera with its extreme battery life I can't emphasize how important this is. Its longer than all other mirrorless cameras.
Fastest auto focus bar none. You can pan and get autofocus too. Nikon 1 autofocus is better than $8000 Nikon and
Canon pro DSLR cameras!
I Reciently bought the F adapter to use F mount lenses with this camera. It makes my 70-300MM consumer grade lens - with a 2.7 crop factor- into an 810MM lens. For extreme telephoto work this is a big plus. Think about using a cost consumer lenses shooting at F 4-5.6 - which are nearly as sharp as pro lenses at these apertures - and having an equivalent 800 MM lens for almost no money!

Dislikes.
It takes 2 seconds to turn on and you will miss some " in the moment" shots. I just came back from overseas and this is frustrating.
You can't turn off the required picture review. Personally I always turn off pic review. That way I can't chimp and chimping leads to missed shots. If the shot is bad, camera shake for example, you can't fix that and its best to keep shooting and throw away the extra shoots both good and bad.
You will miss shots while paging through the menu system. Better to set an forget for the style of shooting you do.
Sometimes shooting backlit subjects you get silhouetting due to the camera second guessing that you want to focus on the background. You can fix this by moving the focus point oh the forground.

The money issue: For $300 its worth it. Would I upgrade to the V2 for $900? Probably not. With the discounted price I am able to take the extra money and buy other lenses. In my case I bought a 30-100 zoom- used for $100 dollars and now have a pretty complete system. If future releases come up with a flash workaround I may be tempted to upgrade if the steep discounts happen again.

The other Money issue: An entry level Nikon/Canon or 4/3 equivalent is more camera better sensor more controls than the V1. It has more accessories and may have more versatiltiy in terms on video, flash 3rd party accessories now and in the future.. You have to decide if bigger, more options, and more to carry is worth it.

The Functionality Issue compared to other Mirrorless cameras. The Mirrorless companies do tend to lower prices to clear inventory for older models. When I ordered my V1 I also ordered my Wife a Panasonic Lumix G3 for the same price at the Nikon V1. I have to say the Panasonic G3 and G5 offer more of the traditional controls found in a DSLR type of camera. More external buttons means more control. The touch screen of the Panasonic is first rate much better than any other camera manufacturer's interface plus it's completely customizable.

I feel the Lumix has more of what traditional cameras offer in terms of control, functionality and sensor technology. Plus you do get a build in flash with a hot shoe for more powerful flash units. Here is the Money issue all over again. The V1 and Lumix G3 were the same cost. You will probably see the Lumix G5 discounted once the G/GH6 are released. If I were to do this over again I would probably go with the Lumix because of my personal shooting style -remember I do lots of manual controls over my shots, and the Nikon is clearly behind the Lumix in terms of functionality.

The V1 is both frustrating and unique. I want more DSLR controls and think about replacing my V1 yet I also think about adding to my lens collection!

A strategy is to wait till Nikon dumps these units and jump on the bandwagon when pricing looks good. This happened at Christmas 2012 and if it happens again you won't be out much money. You could do the same for other Mirrorless cameras too.

Final comment from something read years ago about a seminar dealing with Leica shooters. The award winning photographer was asked about one lens over another- Leica quality remember- and his answer was Leica Smica go take pictures. This camera lets you do that with a few quirks that really don't prevent you from doing great work.

2.0 out of 5 stars My first disappointing Nikon camera, July 23, 2012
I have the Nikon 1 V1, and there are numerous issues with it, one of which eventuated in my having to send it back to Nikon for repair after only a few months of ownership. I am quite disappointed with the camera. In particular, there are several shortcomings I have discovered. The Nikon firmware update I installed did not work - there was no way to install a compatible firmware update for the lenses, and consequently the LCD screen stopped functioning even though the camera part of the firmware upgrade installed with no problem. I knew what the problem was, but it had to be sent back to have this done. Also - the cover for the accessory shoe does not click down and seat well, and I have already lost one and had to replace it - I predicted this as soon as I saw the way the cover fit on. The lens cap also is easy to lose. There should be some kind of tether to both these pieces. Finally - the camera is not user friendly in available light and I had to buy the extra flash attachment. I don't understand why there isn't an integrated flash on the camera as is true for most other cameras of this class. I have been a Nikon user for about 50 years, am a semi-professional photographer, and until now was very happy with all the Nikon products I had purchased over the years. This camera, however, is quite disappointing. Interestingly, I received an email from Nikon asking me to write a review, which I would love to do, but clicking on the supplied link does not take me anywhere to write the review.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT things come in small packages, February 17, 2012
I've been at this this wonderful profession for over 42 years, and just a few years ago I stood among those who said that the resolution possible in an FX lens could not exceed 16MP. WOW were we wrong. Nikon has outdone themselves in their two latest introductions to digital photogrqaphy.
I much prefere the V1 over the J1. The J1 does not have a viewfinder and comes with a smaller bettery and no accessory shoe. the V1 uses the long life - EN EL15. The Nikon 1 CX format is x2.7; thus 10mm is equivalent to 27mm on a standard FX or 35mm SLR). It's is a revolutionary change, designed well, user-friendly, and easy to operate with high-quality Nikkor optics. This is the camera that can fit in the pocket, sit unobserved on a tiny gorilla t-pod and capture some fantastic candids, or just put on the fixed focus pancake 10mm lens, wear around your neck, use a remote - no one is going to notice or hear the 'little thing'. You'll love the BRIGHT electronic viewfinder, that shows the image you just took until you again press the shutter button. This mirrorless operation not only makes it quiet, but is faster than greased lightning, and I haven't even touched on the V1's superb video capabilities. I use the 10-30mm (27-81mm) lens 85% of the time. It's nano-sharp, with a short and easy zoom barrel, and focuses down to 8" throughout the entire range......I love this little TOY! Yes expensive, but worth every penny.
And if you don't believe me about the NIKKOR lens quality: check out [Nikon Rumors and imaging.nikon.com] for the tests performed with the REVOLUTIONARE D800 (Which I have and also highly recommend for the fine art photographer) I have shot with Hasselblad, Arca Seiss, Sinar, and some of the best German lenses and I am here to gobble up all my near-sighted predictions: Nikon optics withstood the 36MP PLUS test with flying colours. Take these images up to max resolution and see for yourself - UNBELIEVABLE
I see a smaller, mirrorless FX capable or 10(or more)fps, HI-quality HD Video with 60MP on the horizon...Let's face it, the floppy, noisy, and vibrating mirror has been around for well over 50 years. Time for a change.
This writer is not responsible for poor spelling...LOL
As always, happy shooting, Kenn

5.0 out of 5 stars This is easy......., May 15, 2012
I could go on at length. This is now my primary camera. 10 MP is enough for 8x10 prints. The photo quality is quite good. Lens selection is adequate. System is less than a year old, and Nikon provided the FT1 right out the gate. N1 is as much a concept as a product designation. Understand this before you buy.
If you need speed, my goodness, where else to go? 10 fps ( cam selects settings ) 44 frame buffer.......RAW. 5 fps with control on your terms- again, 44 deep RAW buffer. I've rattled 150 5fps shots on hummingbirds (feeding) with utter abandon. After sunset. Most complainers do so because they either think negativity makes them seem like experts, or they have unrealistic expectations going into a given venture.
2.7 conversion factor gives field of view advantages only a birder could love.....not really. 100 mm is 270mm equivaleny. 200 is 540 equivalent. I frequently show love for the 300mm end. 800mm stabilized 5.6, anyone? That happens with the FT1 and you preferred Nikon 300mm. Remember: this is a system at the beginning of its product curve. The native lenses are really good, just not tools I use.....like an 11mm wrench.
Speed and reach are things I need. This system hands it to me on a plate. For a relatively low price point.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›