5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have accessory for your Nikon Scanner
I returned from Iraq and instead of buying a new Nikon D-100 I purchased a new Nikon Coolscan 5000 and soon afterwards, I purchased the Strip Film Holder FH-3. I have found out that the Nikon Negative adapter (SA-21) may not be able to scan a negative on the edge of a film strip; using the FH-3 I was able to do so.

I have found it to be a must have accessory...
Published on January 11, 2005 by Christopher Glodde

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have come with the scanner
An accessory like this really should come with the scanner, especially prosumer gear like the Nikon CoolScan V ED for which I purchased this film strip holder. As an extra-cost accessory, something this rudimentary and flimsy should be priced at $5, not the $25 that I paid for it.
Published on October 18, 2007 by N. Evangelista

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have accessory for your Nikon Scanner, January 11, 2005
This review is from: Nikon FH-3 35MM Film Strip Holder Spare (9170) (Office Product)

I have found it to be a must have accessory to have around when doing negative scanning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Film Strip Holder, August 19, 2007
BruceT (Eighty Four, PA) - See all my reviews
This is one of those tools that you either don't need or can't do without. If you want to scan 35mm positive or negative images in your Coolscan 5000 (or similar device), and you only have a single frame or two frames, you need this tool. There's simply no other way to do it. For its stated purpose, it works great. I also found I could use it to scan some smaller (Minox-sized) negative and positive images, and it worked fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars FH-3 film strip holder - indispensable component, December 20, 2008
I have recently bought a Coolscan 5000ED film scanner from Nikon. The FH-3 film strip holder in question comes separately as an optional add-on for $25. It accommodates film strips up to 6 frames long, and holds them in the focal plane of the scanner. It is an indispensable component to the scanner, should you process film strips less than 6 frames long. Well, it's a shame really, Nikon decided not to bundle with the scanner that sold for $1049 or more. To harness the full potential of Coolscan 5000ED or V, you really need one of the FH-3 holder. It is a big help if you process short pieces of film, 2-3 frames long, or even a single naked frame. Actually, I bought two: while the first holder is in the scanner, I can load the second one with films.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have come with the scanner, October 18, 2007
N. Evangelista "gnawme" (The Fault Line, CA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to find the New-Old-Stock Film Holder, January 16, 2013
I prefer using the manual filmstrip holder over the motorized film holder. Its easier to get the scanner to focus evenly with this. I bought as a backup since I still have 10,000+ negatives to scan!

2.0 out of 5 stars his no return policy is a bummer, December 25, 2011
no return policy, definitely an overpriced item and long mailing time. The item arrived intact and in excellent condition however.

5.0 out of 5 stars 35mm film Holder for Nikon scanner 4000 and 5000, December 25, 2011
This is a fragile items and more and more difficult to find as Nikon do not distribute this item.
I advise you to have a spare in your drawer if like me you are scanning each day.
JP

3.0 out of 5 stars Spare my butt, April 21, 2011
This does exactly what it's supposed to do. It gets three stars because it should have been included with the Coolscan V ED I bought several years back. (I wondered why I couldn't get strips of film to work well with it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars brought my scanner back to life., January 22, 2011
Nikon has abandoned their scanners and items needed to keep a Nikon scanner working. My original film strip holder no longer worked, and with out the film strip holder this $500+ scanner becomes a door stop. The spare film strip holder is actually better than the one that originally came with my scanner. These are getting harder and harder to find, so if your thinking about getting around to this in the future, it might well be to late by then. Costly, yes, but I have over 18,000 b&w negatives and while I don't plan on scanning many of them, I couldn't scan any if I hadn't found this film strip holder.

5.0 out of 5 stars should have been included, May 20, 2008
The negative holder is invaluable and should have been included with the scanner. Well worth the small investment spent.

Nikon FH-3 35MM Film Strip Holder Spare (9170)
Used & New from: $199.95