Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 26, 2011
I purchased this camera from Target during the black friday sale. I was quite impressed being that I was coming off a typical point and shoot camera from Nikon. Coming from where I stand Ineed a camera that takes better still photos. im tired of the blurry shots I was getting from my old camera. It is true if you are taking pictures of something moving it will come out blurry...but there is a sports mode that takes clear shots of moving objects. Most camera's need alittle play time to get used to and reading the directions is helpful but straight out of the box this thing is self explainatory. I will give it 4 stars for the price I paid 99.99 and the fact that its a step up from my old and the zoom is unbelievable. And less the 5th star because the blurry thing. I'll have to remember to put it in that mode if the person or thing im shooting is moving. I did not want to spend 200 or more on a camera to get good shots for the holidays.
66 comments62 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2011
I picked this up at Target on 12/24/11 ($99). I'm still shopping for a better (and more expensive) camera, but the 15X zoom on this caught my attention. I figured if the negative reviews were true I could still use it as a birding camera and just keep it in the car.

I took about 100 shots last night in and outdoors, and another 100 today (in and out, sunny). I'll admit I was ready to take it back after the first 50 because the auto settings produced too much blur. Then I read the ENTIRE manual and tried some settings other than the defaults. Based on my limited tests, here are some adjustments that will make you feel much better about the camera:

*ISO is manually adjustable all the way up to 6400. I'm getting decent low-light indoor shots at 800 without excessive noise.

*Use the "slow sync" flash mode. It illuminates with less glare in some situations but still provides enough light to freeze the action.

*There are TWO types of Vibration Reduction (VR). The normal mode works very well with the zoom at full extension and is the VR that's automatically set for most of the shooting modes. But there is a 'hybrid' VR setting that snaps the shutter twice (at ISOs of 200 and below) and compares the images. Processing time and saving is a bit longer but I was able to take indoor pictures (without flash) of my dogs moving around and get clear images.

*The "exposure compensation" control appears to adjust the shutter speed within a limited range depending on the initial shooting mode that's selected. If the flash is washing out your shots this control can damp that down some.

*Try to pre-focus on 'sports' shots by holding the shutter halfway down on the spot where you anticipate capturing the movement. Finish the shot when the subject is in the center of the frame. It's tricky but can yield some surprisingly good results.

Notes: The f/stop setting is controlled by the level of zoom magnification. (I haven't found a way to override that setting.) All of the settings are displayed on the LCD when you push the shutter button halfway down so it's pretty easy to keep track of what works best - I'm generally setting the ISO higher and exposure compensation lower than the defaults suggest. And, the performance of the zoom at full magnification with VR is really quite impressive.

Bottom line: This is a pretty decent camera and IMHO worth the price, if not more, for the Nikkor lens alone. You do need to spend a little time getting acquainted but the results are worth the effort.
22 comments52 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2011
I am amazed at some of the reviews on here regarding the Nikon L105/110. Reminder: This is an entry level, point and shoot digital camera boasting 12.1 MP. Based on the quality of the pictures, the feel of the camera in your hands, and the general ease of use in capturing quality photos, it's a solid entry level option. A legitimate 12.1 MP digital camera with a price tag of about $150, I think a 4/5 rating is fair. Maybe some of you thought you were purchasing a Nikon SLR?
22 comments40 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2011
I bought this camera on black friday and I started getting sad after reading all of the reviews. But after playing around with it, this camera is awesome! I do admit that I wouldn't have bought it for $199, but it was on sale for $99. At first I was having a little trouble with the focus, but after skimming through the CD owner's manual, this camera works perfect. The zoom is fantastic and the pictures come out so clear, I love how light it is, and I just love how the pics come out! The ONLY thing I don't like is the 3" LCD screen. It's great and all, but with pics of people from far away (with scenery in the back), the people's faces look blurry, but when I zoom in to the pic, it's actually fine. And when I download it on the computer, it looks great so it's just the preview pic on the camera. That's it! An awesome camera for the price!
0Comment34 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2011
You can still buy this at Target for $99 by the way. The only problem with the camera are the default settings. If you are using the wrong settings, you will get blurry pictures. Any bad reviews for this camera are from people who do not know the proper techniques or are expecting too much from a point-and-shoot. This camera, in my opinion, is a hybrid camera since it has a good lens. Nikon is a respected brand. The 4 AA batteries it takes are kind of a bummer but hey just get rechargables, whats the difference? The box comes with strap and lens cover. The flash is very bright. The interface is easy to use.
on November 29, 2011
Ok... we read all the reviews on this site and at Target regarding this nice camera...and wanted to comment. We love it! Right out of the box it worked like a charm! It has clear bright pictures, great flash, easy to use, professional looking and an incredible zoom! For what...99.00... oh yeah! We are not camera pros..so we do not have the experience comparing this product other high tech or expensive camera products. But, for what we will be using it for... family outings, facebook, etc. it is perfect! Plus, the blurriness on occasion with action pics is alleviated with the sports mode, so these pics came out great too. What is not to like.. for 99.00...wish I would have bought 2!
on December 2, 2011
This camera is really great for just 100. It takes better pictures than normal digital cameras. Sometimes the photos look blurry but just on the screen. On the computer most of them look beautiful. You need to learn how to set the camera for better pictures. It`s like the expensive one that take good pictures automatically. Please don`t compare this camera to 400 and above cameras. Some people just don`t get that the difference is not only the price but a set of qualities. This camera provide photos quality of a 250 camera.

Who am I? Assistant to photographer with some years of experience.
on November 25, 2011
This is an amazing camera with wide zoom lens. Great photos and great value for the price.
I love this camera much more than my current Sony.
For the camera, always pick Canon or Nikon.
0Comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2011
I too bought this camera on Black Friday at Target for $100. At first I didn't think it worked very well and these reviews made me very nervous. After playing around with it for about a week and bringing it to my cousins wedding I am in love. This camera is great and maybe 5 out of the 80 pictures I took came out blurry. The key is to put it on an auto mode and it chooses which mode is best. I took many picture of the bride, groom, and guests dancing and they all came out completely clear. I have a sony camera that cost me $300 and I can ONLY take pictures where people are moving in a sports mode and the pictures were always too dark. This Nikon is amazing for $100 and I don't understand what these other people were expecting when they bought it...after all it's NOT a DSLR. I must warn you that on the screen the picture LOOKS blurry, but when you zoom into it or put it on your computer the pictures are totally clear, so don't worry about that. Definitely worth it just take the time to play around with is and use the manual CD they give you it has a lot of good advice. Enjoy! [Also I'm still on the same batteries that came with the camera, even after a 5 hour wedding...so the battery isn't an issue, although I'd much rather find rechargeable ones so I don't have to keep spending money on batteries]
on November 28, 2011
This camera ROCKS. Just got it on Black friday and once I figured out how to use the different settings it works perfect.
I was a little concern when I first got it because the pics were blurring than I figured out that I had to raise the flash and know its great. I also took pics of the family playing frisbee and wow I got some great shots.
11 comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse