4.0 out of 5 stars A fair review for a good product (but not perfect)
Published on June 3, 2012 by Klrbee25

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously? Shame on Nikon.
Published on April 2, 2012 by Capt RB

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously? Shame on Nikon., April 2, 2012
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
Nikon deserves to sell very few of these and indeed a lot of us will skip it or wait for aftermarket. This is a fine grip, just like previous models. It offers absolutely nothing new yet costs FAR more (twice the price!) of the D700 grip. 3rd party companies will have a BIG business building a better grip for less money. This accessory is a real shame in light of the very fairly price D800.
Like the MB10 the grip feels sturdy and all controls work well. The battery compartment comes with a tray for AA batteries and another for Nikon's battery. This will also get you the 6 FPS in DX mode. But the price is insulting. There's just no other way to look at it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Agreed that it is overpriced, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
I just received this today. Build quality is fine, it's quite a bit lighter than my Canon 5D Mark II grip -
guessing it's made out of a lighter metal (magnesium; same as body?) Perhaps that's what gives it the feeling
that it is made out of plastic to some. It is cool to the touch, so it is most certainly metallic. That said,
there is nothing about the item that felt so divinely sculptured that it should fetch 450 dollars.

I was hoping I would get some incredible packaging or unreal, solid build quality (read: engineered by Porsche).
Instead it is solid but not remarkable. I do not feel like I spent 450 dollars, I feel like I spent maybe 175-200.
Very disappointing. Of course, it is obvious Nikon is able to get this price for it, as that is what I ended up paying.
If a third party is able to make a high quality grip for 250-300 (which is more than possible, trust me), Nikon will not
sell many of these.

Aside from the absurd pricing, it works just fine. Just not 450 dollars fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm......, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
Sorry Nikon. Don't know why a battery grip that's made in China could cost so much. The box and packaging isn't even designed well. I thought I had purchased a grey market MB-D12 when it arrived at my doorstep.

I bought this party because I needed better control over the camera and have a disability with my hands so needed it to operate the camera more effectively. Thats basically all you get except for 2 FPS more and extended battery life.

If you bought a D800 I highly recommend you wait and purchase an aftermarket one when they become available.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fair review for a good product (but not perfect), June 3, 2012
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
I think giving 3 or fewer stars for this product is misleading, particularly if it's just to protest the price. I agree it costs double what it should cost. However, it's a quality product that matches the build quality of the camera. The ability to use AA batteries is important to me and the ergonomics for vertical shooting is very helpful. One complaint that I've had with ALL the Nikon grips, including this one, is that Nikon uses different shutter release and D-pad buttons than what the camera uses. The shutter release button is very springy and doesn't have the two-step half and full press tactile feedback. You just start pushing and at some point it focuses and then some point later it'll fire the shutter. The distance required to press the button is much further too...just a tactile disappointment. The D-pad is completely different from the one on the camera. For $450, we should have the same shutter release and Dpad buttons as on the camera.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought the Nikon d12 and a knock off PIXEL, returned the Nikon., August 17, 2012
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
Being a Nikon person I refuse to use Tamron, Sigma or any other lens, I have always used the Nikon VGs, D100, D300. The Grip for the D800 is significantly overpriced and decided to compare my 425.00 toy to the popular Pixel.
Rather than boring you with a lengthily discussion, I can summarize it by saying that I saw no difference either mechanical or electrical between the two. Both function identically, both are strong and look appropriate on the bottom of the camera. I returned the MB-d12, I can NOT justify it. If this one wears out, I can buy 2 more and still have money left.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing build quality sparing no expense, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
I was VERY hesitant to order an actual nikon brand grip due to the price compared to 3rd party.

I Currently own a Grip from Meike for my D7000. While it does everything the nikon does, it often times stops giving power, or shows wrong battery info (pulling battery out and putting it back it fixes it for a while or until power off) This was ultimately the main reason I bought the nikon, because it ALWAYS has to work for me, I'm a combat Photographer for the army and dead batteries are not a easy fix for me.

Eitherway.

I knew that the Nikon would be better build quality however, I am still amazed at how much of a difference the quality is. Do I think the build quality was worth the 368$ I paid for a new one?

YES I DO.

Every single bit, every moving part, every still part feels and looks like it was built to outlast me. I have no doubts about putting this on my camera and hanging onto only it.

The locking wheel has no wobble but feels like it has a good amount of tension, it does not free spin or come loose.

The multi-select command Analog is stiff and clicks in each direction, it feels great. My Meike is super loose and does not feel good.

The paint on the AF-ON button is the same quality and kind as the buttons on the camera, No rubbing off! my Meike has no paint on its button anymore.

The shutter button feels the same as the camera, perfect.

The front/rear dials are the same as on the body of the camera, they feel perfect.

On my Meike the screw that the camera is mounted to the grip by is loose, I can grab it with my fingers and shake it around or free spin it. I CAN NOT do this on the Nikon, Its so rugged and well built.

I was happy to see the battery tray holds 8 AA batteries rather than Six. 8 AA 2650 MAH batteries adds a ton of extra shoot time.

The trays, while still plastic like the Meike, are of a much higher quality.

The door for the trays on the Nikon are super well built, the latch turns with a bit of friction rather than free turning like the Meike. More security.

Nikon Pros:

Best build quality that can ever be put into a battery grip, no expense spared making these grips
8 AA batteries
Same paint on the buttons as on the camera, wont rub off
no wobble in lock dial or noise/creeks
metal construction

Cons:
none, not even the price is a con to me, I got what I paid for!
included pouch only holds the spare battery tray, I could care less about that however I wish it would fit the actual grip since its such a nice pouch, super good quality for only holding a tray.

Meike Pros:
Functions as a Grip
holds extra batteries
50$

Meike Cons:
Poor construction quality.
Paint rubs off of buttons
Locking dial wobbles and free spins
different shutter button than camera
does NOT feel secure or safe on the camera
OFTEN TIMES BATTER IS NOT DETECTED OR STOPS WORKING, GRIP STILL FUNCTIONS BUT CAMERA SWITCHES TO INTERNAL BATTERY

A word on price:
People complain about the price of this grip, and I agree, over 400$ or the first price of around 800$ is mad. I would never pay that and this is not worth that, I could pay a Great Nikon 50 F1.2 for that price and take great images rather than holding a camera sideways.

However, Its under 400$ now and is sitting at a fair price point to me.

The build quality makes up for the cost, I doubt it will ever break. Its as rugged as any Nikon pro camera and made with the same level of Quality. When holding it you feel secure, no worries. You don't have to wonder "is that little cheap screw really going to hold my 3,300$ camera to this grip?" It doesn't creek or make noises. and You can mount it to a tripod, sideways, and not wonder if the tripod mount is going to break the whole thing in half.

You do not ever have to worry about this not working, or not showing battery information. It always works, every time.

If you can afford a 3000$ camera, you should be able to afford a 380$ grip that will vastly improve the feel, ease of use, and battery life of your camera.

5/5 stars. A truly happy customer from me.

(Side note, my item shipped from the US to Afghanistan in 4 days. amazing.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, October 25, 2012
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
The multi-selector and command dials have been inoperable since coming out of the box, so all I have been able to use it for has been the shutter release. For the price, I'm deeply disappointed and plan to return it. Nikon should be ashamed of itself for this release.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have Nikon..Stay with Nikon accesories, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
Being a professional photographer over 40 years with two studios, and using Nikon , I learned a long time ago that 3rd party accessories 'May" work but in the long run to keep the quality and reliability of Nikon...stay with Nikon accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect match with my D800E, April 12, 2013
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
I had trouble using 3rd party grips (Meike) with my D800E. My camera will show both batteries being discharge on the top LCD if I placed two OEM Nikon fully charged batteries (1 in camera and 1 inside the grip). Meike will work if I only use one battery inside the battery grip.

I ordered the Nikon MB-D12 and my camera works as designed. Some are lucky with 3rd party grips but after trying the second generic grip, it was time to get the original product which works very well. I no longer have any issues with the Nikon brand. The battery tray including the AA battery tray fits much better. Overall construction is much better compared to the cheaper and mostly plastic 3rd party battery grip.

I'll post some pictures comparing the Meike vs Nikon MB-D12 just to give you an idea. Most people asks is it worth it? My answer will be hell YES!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very upsetting, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack (Camera)
I bought this together with the Meike after market grip for 15% of the price. I returned the Nikon. The Meike has better bracing and there is no difference in function. Neither fit perfectly smoothly, both are solid, both appear to use identical switchgear.

You can get a digital SLR from Nikon for about the same price as this grip. There is simply no justification for it.

Nikon MB-D12 Multi Battery Power Pack