Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 69 questions
votes
This lens would NOT be good for a group picture - unless you were standing 50 yards away. It is designed as a portrait lens on a full frame sensor which means its really an 120mm lens on your cropped sensor. Group photos of t he kind you mention are more effectively shot with a lens in the 20-24mm range. That said, this is a GREAT lens, amazingly sharp. But no groups.
Aug 14, 2013 by A. Herzog
votes
5 years Nikon USA, I love the lens but some chromatic issues on hair. I can fix in photoshop, just an extra step. Great lens other than that. Shot my daughters bday, turned out nice. http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherkeegan/sets/72157642820120425/
Mar 28, 2014 by Chris Keegan
vote
Hey Andrew... Maybe almost depending on the situation. My 85mm stays on my camera 90% of the time now. Only use the 50mm when I am in a situation where I just need a little more wide angle and can't back up any further.
Feb 24, 2013 by Rodney G.
vote
This is too easy! Check Camera Labs or DxOMark. Camera Labs declares the 85mm f/1.8G's Bokeh to be superior to the D at full aperture, which is key for portraits. While the lens has many plastic parts, the lens elements themselves are high-grade glass-and the lens itself is weatherproof, making this a great choice if you are looking for a relatively affordable telephoto prime lens with excellent optical performance. DxOMark Measurements: Sharpness 15P-Mpix Transmission 1.9TStop Distortion 0.1% Vignetting -1.7EV Chr. aberration 4µm DxOMark score:35 (Higher than many more expensive lenses in the same range) In other words, just buy it!
Feb 26, 2014 by Rictango
vote
KenRockwell.com indicates 67mm filters. This is a fantastic lens.
Feb 15, 2014 by Tim Kitchen
vote
The manual focus ring DOES turn around both ways.
Mar 31, 2013 by Joyce D. Willcox
vote
Yes, it worth it. Have far less chromatic aberrations, more definition across all the frame, and weights far less. This lens is very good starting F1.8, but at the range F4-F8 it shines, even better than Nikkor 105 mm F1.8, which was my previous sharper lens
May 27, 2014 by J. jesus
votes
I have not owned that lens so I can not tell you. I would say that the 85 can be occasionally slow to focus in comparison to my 50 1.8d.
Mar 3, 2014 by Anna
votes
It will work , crop factor is 1.5 so this 85mm will be a 127.5mm. It is a superb lens, superb optics, any nikon camera would be happy to mount this lens on it. when used on full frame you're approaching whole Depth of field. It's sharp enough to take your camera resolution to the limit even at f/1.8
Sep 24, 2013 by Smash3337
votes
You are absolutely right on that Scott. The 35 1.8 is also a Chinese made lens. Same here ... that 35 1.8 was the first lens on my D90 (which is made in Thailand) and is still my go-to prime lens. I feel like this 85 mm is definitely more a portrait lens given the effective focal length on the D90. It performs superbly tho. I think the only two Japanese lenses i own are Toknia's. I don't understand why its important where a lens is made tho? Is it about the QC??
Mar 25, 2012 by Alain J. Dsouza
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers