Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

on June 20, 2010
The Nikkor 35-135 f/3.5-4.5 AF is a push/pull lens with very decent performance. Before I begin, it is worthwhile to note that this lens is the DX equivalent of a 55-200mm zoom, so it is up to you whether you would prefer the actual lower f-stop on this lens or the equivalent offered through VR technology in the newer 55-200 DX. I've read great things said about Nikon's 55-200, and it goes without saying that this older model takes some great pictures. If I were making the decision today, I don't know which one I'd choose; generally, I prefer an actual lower f/stop to just VR though (especially at the telephoto end). I am positive, though, that the older lens is heavier and larger than the newer one, but it also contains more metal components as well.

Anyway, this lens works for me mostly in the context of what I shoot on film. It is the lens that lives on my 8008s and frequently finds itself on the 6006, also. This lens was a steal when I bought it used, and it still is. If you decide to go this route, don't look back. However, if you own one of the lower-end Nikons (D40, D60, D3000, D5000, etc.), this lens will not auto-focus. The push/pull feature took some getting used to, but I got the hang of it eventually, and I actually kind of prefer it.

Note: There is a "D" version of this lens, which offers slightly better metering because of "distance" information supplied to the metering equation, so be sure and clarify which one you'll be getting with the sellers offering it. I did not buy from any of these sellers, so I can't vouch for the exact products that they are offering.
on July 20, 2014
The lens came with a scratched in the front lens, and the connector was dirty. I would keep if the lens would came the way that was in the description. The return was safe and the company was very kind.
on December 30, 2015
I came here to read what some people have to say about the Nikkor 35-135 F3.5-4.5, MANUAL FOCUS....YES, MANUAL FOCUS...THAT IS WHAT IS IN THIS ARTICLE, NOT THE AF VERSION, IDIOTS...but I get very hot with this, because in lots of forums, we are talking about Chevrolets and them Idiots starts responding with Toyota things...WHY??...THE LENS UP THERE FOR SALE SAYS VERY CLEARLY M A N U A L F O C U S....NOT AF....but them the donkeys comes back and change the subject again...oh boy...humans....
on January 17, 2014
I love this lens. I bought it on Craigslist though for $70, from another photographer who didn't want it. I enjoy taking photos with this lens, considering that I have a Nikon D70.
The lens autofocuses at some points depending on what your shooting at. So it works both from manual and auto.
At first the viewfinder may make you think the photo is blurry, but when you lightly touch on the shutter button, it focuses for you.
on January 27, 2016
Older glass but it was very well built and nice and sharp.
on June 25, 2013
These days, this lens can be picked up for very little money. If it were still fetching top dollar, I would have given it 3 stars. Mine is the earlier version with the thin hard plastic focus ring that everyone hated. But I think it's the same optically as the newer versions. You normally wouldn't want to use this lens at wide open aperture, especially at 135mm. Contrast and sharpness is just not there. Maybe for portraits wide open would be good. Stopped down it gets much better, but still doesn't have that biting sharpness and crispness that we all love(at least my copy doesn't). There's macro mode available. But it seems to put it at a shorter focal length, and that cuts your working distance. If it would go into macro at 135mm, that would be great. Keep in mind if used on a DX sensor DSLR, 35mm is not wide angle-so it has no wide angle capability with DX. But if you're looking for a standard-medium telephoto with DX, it's a great focal length range. I don't understand why many photogs say a zoom lens originally designed for 35mm film has a "weird focal length range" on DX. Hey, any zoom lens can be a useful focal length. It all depends on what it's being used for. Happy shooting.
review image