5.0 out of 5 stars As good as nay scope I have ever had, maybe better!
I am a very picky buyer and did alot of research before buying.I had narrowed it down to a Leupold or Nikon. After visiting Nikon.com and watching the videos I was convinced this was designed for serious hunters.
Published on October 13, 2011 by Tom

3.0 out of 5 stars poor eye relief!!! Get a scope with an eye relief range of 2" MINIMUM! This is narrower than 1/8th of an inch!
About average image quality for a scope costing a little over $200.00. Adequate for target practice once you position the scope properly on the receiver of your rifle. Not quick enough for hunting a moving target.
Published 1 month ago by Joseph A. Nowak

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as nay scope I have ever had, maybe better!, October 13, 2011
Tom (New Port Richey, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 50 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC) (Sports)
I looked at local shops and they wanted $299-$349. When I found it for $202 on Amazon I jumped all over it. I received it in two days, could not believe the clarity, light and design. I bought the BDC model, so I can make those long shots with confidence. This is a very nice scope that will be perfect for rifle deer hunters. You will need high scope rings because its 50MM objective.
Got it mounted, bore sighted and went to range. At 100 yard shooting from a bag it took two shots to dial it in then it was a 1.5" Group for the next 3 shots. My buddy had a 3" group with his Leupold and he was sick. He picked up my rifle and immeditely said, Damn, i cannot believe the clarity, the eye relief is perfect, do you want to trade.. No Thanks!
I could not be more pleased, shipping was fast, no sales tax, buy it before they find out it is worth alot more!
I spent a small fortune to hunt trophys this year, and I do not want to miss, I would never live it down with my wife.
I love this scope so much, maybe I should apply for a job at Nikon. I did use Leupold scope rings, they are the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop it., January 13, 2012
Woah.... You gotta be kidding me right?

I own a Leupy VX1 3-9X40 that has been my bench mark for years. I pretty much only shoot Rimfire Rifles at the moment and I do a lot of Night Shooting due to the pests coming out at night.

I love my Leupy as its clarity and light gathering at night is excellent, but this little Beauty...Well...All I can say is WOW!

Lets be fair though, It has a 50mm objective so it should catch the available light well and it does. The field of view is excellent and mix that with the BDC Reticle and this is a winning package.

After some night shooting (CZ 452 .17Hm2), I duly took it out for an afternoon hunt. I am familiar with the "Nikon Spot On Ballistic Calculator" so I knew what to expect from this scope. Holdover is a dream with the Print Out Provided. Just Zero to what ever distance you like, pick your Ammo Brand and Calibre and away you go. The cheeky Magpie Sitting 171 Yd didn't stand a chance.
It's gotta be said that this is the Rimfire Rifle Nuts Dream... Too often shots are missed as Holdover is a real pain when you are in a hurry!
This scope can Multi Task though, It has spent time on my .223 for some Goat Hunting and again it was a dream.
Sited in and Zeroed after 5 Shots and it holds zero to this very day...

All I can say here is get one. You will not be disappointed.

At $200 You gotta be kidding me! I have now replaced all my scopes with the Nikon BDC Range. From Buckmaster to Prostaff and including the Monarch series I just don't think you can get better optics matched with quality features anywhere else for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, October 10, 2012
Just took it out of the box, mounted it, and took it to academy for bore sighting. Have not shot it yet but I took it to Academy Sports at 7:00 tonight and I looked through the scope through the well lit parking lot. Picture perfect. My wife has a nice Nikon digital camera with nice Nikon lenses.. So I figured the scope would be quality. I have a Bushnell Elite to compare it to mounted on an AK47. This Nikon is in a much different league. Very very nice scope. I have it mounted on a .338 Win Mag Browning A-Bolt. I will update this review to make sure it will hold zero. If it will hold zero with this cannon of a caliber, it will hold zero with most anything. I recommend a 3x9x50 anytime because it allows more light into the scope, and this scope does it (like I said, even at night). I like the BDC cross-hair layout (its not jumbled up like one would think, it is very clear with sharp edges). I would give this scope as many stars as I could.

By the way, It DOES come with a lens cover.. I bought Butler Creek flip-up cover for this scope. But I had to do a lot of research to figure out what size covers to get. Just to save you the hassle, the Objective (large size) is 43-44. The eyepiece is size 18. The eyepiece cover fits perfectly, the objective size is a little tight, but it fits snug and works well. I recommend these covers because they will "stay on" until needed as opposed to leaving the nikon covers off when hunting/shooting; not to mention the fact that they look awesome.

Short Version:
Great scope. Amazing scope. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as others that are twice the price., November 17, 2013
I purchased this to mount on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I used Burris 420182 XTR Rings (1-Inch, High, Black) to mount it. After initial sight in, my friend and I(he is a retired USMC Gunnery Sgt and was a member of the USMC Shooting Team) were getting consistant 1" groups at 200 yds. The clarity of this scope is excellent even on 9 power. I would highly reccomend this scope.

5.0 out of 5 stars great entry level scope, October 29, 2013
kevin hinson (north carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
my wife bought me this scope for my birthday earning her the wife of the year award in my book, and so far I have put it through a year of hard use on my favorite lee enfield .303 the glass is as clear as the lepers I have used in the past, in a couple of cases clearer and the bdc while not as precise as a 1/8 moa mil dot still provides a satisfactory aiming point that is close to even my sort of obscure caliber. I also love the windage and elevation turret setup, it really makes rolling a dope very simple (pardon my terminology I spent several years as an army sniper) while the 1/4 MOA is not as precise as an 1/8 MOA it still is very good allowing you to see a precise value in inches that you have just entered. If you are a serious hunter and have a need to shoot at distance like I do you will defintly come to appreciate the simplicity of the BDC recticle and the simplicity of the turrets, also the clarity, features, durability, and over all value of this scope makes this a product I am very impressed with. If you are looking for a scope for accurate shooting at 1,000 yards keep looking this ain't for you for that look at a fixed 10 leuopld with 1/8 MOA turrets and bring your left arm attached to your deep pockets. This product is clearly a hunting scope with average magnification and in this respect it does its job quite nicely this scope allowed me to take a deer at a full run nearly 100 yards away to do that you need excellent clarity in your optics generous eye relief is also a big plus this product has that in spades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent scope for the money, October 2, 2013
This is an excellent scope for the money. The glass is clear and bright. I have shot this scope on my 26" heavy barreled bolt action .223 out to 400 yards. At that distance I was still able to hit 1 liter gatorade bottles (roughly 6" target). For me, I would say this is about the maximum range for this scope for target of this size. Beyond 400 yards I would have a hard time seeing these small targets clearly with this scope. I also had no trouble hitting a "squirrel size" targets at 150 yards. The image was bright and sharp at this range.

The BDC is excellent, especially when coupled with Nikon's Spot On iPhone app. It allowed me to hit targets at 400 yards without adjusting the scope. The Spot on app also has a ballistics calculator that will tell you bullet drop, bullet path, energy at distance, flight time, and how many clicks to adjust the scope for any distance up to 1000 yards. The BDC clutters the viewfinder a little bit more than I would like, but it is very useful for judging distances because of the extra subtensions over a standard duplex reticle.

My .223 has worn this scope for more than 500 rounds at this point and it has held zero admirably. The clicks track well and it always returns to zero after changing windage or elevation. And zero is easy to find on the turrets because they can be reset to zero after zeroing the rifle so that the numbers on the turrets read "0" for zero after zeroing (I hope that doesn't make zero sense:).

The 50mm objective is a blessing and a curse. The extra light is fantastic when dusk sets in (during the day you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from a 40mm). However, the 50mm requires using high rings (at least on my heavy barreled rifle) which makes it near impossible to get a good cheek weld on the stock without using a cheek riser (which I have yet to purchase). This is my only "issue" with this scope, but this will be true of any 50mm scope, so I can't grade it lower because I chose the 50 over the 40.

Nikon includes a lifetime warranty for the scope, but i have yet to have occasion to use it and can't speak to Nikon customer service. It is my preference to never have to use a warranty, but it is comforting to know it is there if needed.

I would not hesitate to recommend this scope to anyone looking a good quality hunting scope without breaking the bank on a $500 Leupold or other high end scope. The glass is fantastic out to about 400 yards and the BDC is useful. I like the extra light from the 50mm objective. Would I buy another? Absolutely.

5.0 out of 5 stars great scope, February 3, 2013
I wanted a mid range scope for deer hunting for 1-300 yard shots. This scope fit the bill perfectly. I mounted the scope on a m-223 scope mount. I also picked up a Sunshade for it. The only one that fits is the Nikon 7166. Not the 8055.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love nikon, January 6, 2013
I bought this scope for my dad for Christmas. I have a nikon scope for my muzzleloader which has held up in some pretty polar weather situations from rain and snow to windy and muggy. Great clarity at low light in early morning and late evening. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these scopes, December 25, 2012
I love how clear these scopes are. I own 6 of them, they have never failed me and are the clearest scopes I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, December 4, 2012
Ordered this for one of my guns and the optics is clear and great. Easy to set up and I am very pleased with my order...

Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 50 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC)
$229.95 $218.77