Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

VINE VOICEon October 26, 2007
I liked the price on amazon, so I bought this Nikon brand battery for my new Nikon D40x 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. So far, so good. The battery charges fairly fast and lasts a long time.

I'm a firm believer in having at least one extra rechargeable battery for a digital camera. If you take a lot of pictures, you have a good chance of your battery running low while you're out and about. If you don't use the camera often, you might take it to a special occasion without realizing that the battery's getting low. In either case, having a spare fully charged battery will help you avoid the frustration of having a dead camera at the wrong time and place.

I'm okay with paying a few extra bucks for the Nikon branded battery, based on my experience with two "no-name" rechargeables I bought a few years ago for my Nikon Coolpix 7900 camera. The "no-names" cost less than the Nikon brand battery. They charged up and worked just fine at first, and I rotated all 3 batteries through the camera, with roughly equal amounts of use and recharge cycles for the batteries. All rechargeable batteries eventually lose their ability to hold a charge, after going through a number of charge/discharge cycles. In the case of the Coolpix camera, the original Nikon battery outlasted both of the "no-name" generic batteries.

So based on my experience with those batteries, I'm sticking with the Nikon brand for the extra battery for my D40x, because I expect it to last through more charge/discharge cycles over its lifetime than a generic (and cheaper) equivalent battery.
on May 22, 2007
If you are looking for a spare battery for your D40, I recommend you purchase the Nikon accessory kit instead (comes with a great Nikon camera bag, spare battery identical to this one and a photo guide). It barely costs more than this battery alone and you will get the bag for almost nothing.
on June 10, 2013
The battery arrived and immediately I was suspicious as it was considerably lighter than my current EN-EL9. The front and back appeared very similiar but I did some light googling at found this:
and a youtube video describing some features of counterfeit Nikon batteries.

Upon close inspection of this one to my current battery (which I received from Nikon in the kit for my D40x a few years ago), this one's writing is not exactly the same on the front (some smudges indicate poor quality printing). There were also a couple imperfections in the casing (dents and bubbles) which further indicate poor quality. Lastly, the hologram was a certain forgery as it lacked depth (clearly cheap) and the 4 slits, though present, were too thin and long and clearly different from my current battery. I am returning this tomorrow for a full refund.

Of course, I should have saved myself all the time and energy and thoroughly read the reviews for this item before I purchased it. Too bad I implicitly trusted Amazon. I'll be more careful next time.
on November 18, 2011
if you are buying from "michael p," reconsider. it is not a genuine product. mine stopped working after about 3 months (and never really kept a charge very long before that.) But I ordered a real one from an authorized dealer and it looks totally different. (look for four tiny notches on hologram and "nikon corporation, japan," printed on the bottom. These are on the genuine battery, but not the fake one.
on October 26, 2011
the batteries barely held a charge. One to three photos per charge. Took to an authorized Nokon repair center. They checked my camera, charger, and the batteries. I was told that these were extremely close counterfeits.
on June 18, 2008
I use this in my Nikon D60. The only reason I didn't give this battery 5 stars is that it is a bit pricey. Having said that however, I wouldn't buy any other battery for something as important as my digital camera. I've tried knock-offs before and have been very disapointed. This official Nikon battery however has not disappointed at all. It has a very good life and I never worry in a critial situation.
on July 6, 2011
Don't buy this battery! The battery held a charge for 1 hour! The battery store that I took it to said that it must be very old and did not appear to be an actual Nikon battery.
on July 18, 2007
Well, I got this battery in and charged it up right away. Four days and over 800 photos later, the battery finally died. Not bad at all for a trip to Yellowstone!
on August 23, 2012
I purchased one of these as a backup for my D40x. After about 20 months it won't hold a charge anymore. The factory battery, which is going on 3 years old still works perfectly. I suspect these are either counterfeit or were subjected to extreme heat or cold.
on November 3, 2012
Got the battery and it turned out to be COUNTERFEIT!!! Since ALL of my Nikon batteries are gray I was suspicious immediately. I went to nikons site and sure enough it was exactly like they said was counterfeit. I contacted the dealer and he said he gets them for the same supplier as I told him just send me a real one. I decided to just keep it BUT I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH THESE GUYS AGAIN. The old adage " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". If a counterfeit battery is what you want I would buy for them for sure if a real one is what you want then pay the $50 bucks. I can't say how well the fake battery works yet since I got discouraged when I got it and I was running near the end of my project so I just stuck with my old "real" one. I must say the guy offered to return the product but I figured it was to much crap to go through for $20. I will just go to Best Buy when I need a Nikon Battery next time.