Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on April 27, 2015
As long as you do not use a filter such as a Polarizer, this lens works great. With a polarizer it has terrible vignetting at anything less than 28mm. I used a step up ring to 77m which helps some. Would try 72 to 82 but vignetting was so bad I seriously doubt that would work. Unfortunately I use a polarizer all the time for outdoor landscape. A good portion of my China trip pictures were ruined because I needed the polarizer for landscapes (Great Wall etc) and water features. Tried not using Polarizer but the haze/smog caused significant glare and loss of detail issues. I also normally use a lens hood but even Nikon admits you should not use supplied hood between 18 and 28mm due to Vignetting.

Another draw back is it is extremely heavy. For an older person (I am 70) this makes camera awkward and tiring for extend shooting sessions. I have no trouble with "normal" weight lens on my camera.

I had really hoped this lens would solve my having to switch lens at bad conditions. Unfortunately the vignetting issue makes this lens extremely limited for intended use as a travel workhorse. I am strongly considering selling this lens after China experence.
on January 30, 2011
Pros: Great zoom range (18-200), autofocus, vibration reduction.
Cons: Lens creep (see many other reviews), vibration reduction inconsistently effective. Overpriced.
Details: The lens "creep" is more like lens "flop." Really! I'll try to post a video. I imagined the lens ever-so-slowly changing its zoom when pointed up or down. Instead, the video I'll try to post is all of 3 (THREE) seconds long, and shows the lens zooming out, in, then out again, all from gravity in only 3 seconds! Keep in mind this is not an inexpensive item! The lens does have a "lock," but it only serves to lock the lens in the 18 mm position (i.e., to keep the length short while being transported or stored). It does not function once the lens is zoomed out of 18 mm.
The other weakness of the lens is the vibration reduction. Sometimes it seems to produce a clear image, sometimes it doesn't. It's embarrassing to have someone with a good point-and-shoot camera produce a photo as sharp as a D7000 because the other camera's VR worked better.
Overall, this is a promising but disappointing lens.
on February 9, 2012
I'm SUPER DUPER picky when it comes to my photos, I have the Nikon so so kit lens 18-105mm, was hoping to get a replacement that takes care of it all.

Pros:
* Goes from 18mm wide to 200mm tele
* Small & lightweight

Cons:
* OVER priced
* BAD pin cushioning.
* HORRIBLE barreling.
* A bit less sharp than other not as drastic zoom lenses, even with low F stop.

Conclusion:
After I saw the quirks, I really tried to make myself believe that they are the compromises that I would have to make and will just get used to it. However, after a couple of weeks of testing, I just knew that I will not be able to live with the results, especially at the price that it's going for. End up returning it and getting the Nikon 70-300mm VR instead, which is several hundreds cheaper and I am much happier now, but that's me!

Update 2/23/2012
BTW: For those who do not find this review helpful, I'm only telling the truth about this lens, but if you still want to buy it, it's your money!
on December 10, 2010
This lens seems very versatile but it isn't, it has many flaws that you should be scared to buy it if you are a professional.

This critic is made by an user who has made enough field research with many photographers using the same lens. The equipment I use is a Nikon D300S and the lens which I am reviewing about. The lens failed in 2 different runways making me loose money.

PRO:
1-Has a good zoom.
2-Has the good option of M/A focus and M only while other lens has only A and only M.
3-Has the vibration mode, good for shaky hands.
4-and it can be used as a macro in some situations.

CONS:
1-The autofocus does not work properly when taking fast multiple shots as in a runway with models walking fast. The autofocus stops working after heavy loads, there are many tricks to make it work again but in some occasions its impossible to make it work, loosing the model loosing the shot. Manual is an option but is not what you paid for and also changing lens in the middle of a bunch of photographers is a pain and not what I paid for.

2-When you use the max aperture (f/3.5) the focus of the objective is not at its best, it never focus properly, not in manual not in automatic, other apertures are ok. The picture just looks bad.

3-The structure is too heavy, if you take a picture positioning the camera/lens downward for long exposures (about 1 sec exposures) the lens slowly very slowly starts to slide forward giving you blurry pictures.

4-Its a fragile lens, very fragile needs extra care when carrying it on the field, have it zoomed all the way out, touch it in a bad way and the gears inside the lens locks and will need some service to make it move again.

Conclusion:
Get another lens if you plan to take multiple shots, this one fails to work properly in those situations.
Buying this lens will limit you to the following: landscape photographer, never take multiple shots and never take exposures of 1 sec or more in a slightly downward position.
Finishing this up, all I can say is limiting yourself like this in a 700$+ lens is illogical so I recommend to look around for something better I know I will.

I will try to make a video of the lens zooming out by itself.
66 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2013
First, I purchased this lens from a local camera shop. It was new and in perfect condition. My experience with Nikon spans over 15 years and has made me a Nikon enthusiast, until now.

This lens was so disappointing that it was returned within a week. This lens created photos that most of the time were out of focus. To do a comparison, I used my 18-105 lens on a trip and maybe had 20-30 photos out of 6,000 that were not perfectly in focus. With the 18-200 lens, I took a random sampling of 100 photos (in well lit areas) and almost half were out of focus.

Although I can't recommend the 18-200, if you want a good multi-purpose lens, buy the 18-105. It deserves five stars. The 18-300 is also a great lens (crisp, sharp photos) but was very heavy for me to keep as a primary lens.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2011
A lot of other reviewers have hit on the pluses and minuses of this lens so I'm going to add my opinion to the mix.

This lens has terrible lens creep. It's very fast and the lens is long enough you could damage it if you're not paying attention.
When shooting architecture or anything with straight horizontal lines, the lines bend at the edges. For a $600 lens I would like to think this isn't acceptable.
The lens weighs a ton! For portability, 2 lenses probably weigh more so you're doing better there, but if you shoot for a long time, it gets annoying.
Filter size is 72mm. If this is your only lens then you won't care, but every other lens I have uses 52mm lenses. I'm not happy about having to buy 2 of everything.

I returned this and got the 55-200mm and a 35mm. I'll probably add a 18mm eventually to cover the entire spectrum. If you want only zooms, the 18-55 would complement the 55-200, at about half the price, with none of the above issues. I'm very happy with my new lenses.
on March 29, 2012
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR CamerasI got this lens with my first DSLR, a Nikon D50. The was way back when the lens retailed for "only" $750. I was moving up from my previous camera, a point and shoot Cannon "Digital Elph". The pictures seemed less sharp and contrasty than from the little camera but I though this was due to either my weak DSLR skills, or perhaps a bad copy of the lens. When a relative had the same impression, I took a closer look and decided that the problem might, after all, be with the lens.

I then sold the lens, bit the bullet, and got the Nikon f2.8 17-55mm zoom, a "pro" lens at twice the price. WOW. I'm not a pixel peeper but coming from a background of large format industrial and architectural photography, I like sharp and clear. This big, heavy, and expensive lens makes lugging all that equipment around well worth the effort. The results are superb. After that, I refi-ed my house to get the "pro" Nikon 70-200 f2.8 zoom and again, great sharp, clear images. Also, the pack mule I use to carry all that stuff is not all that expensive to feed.

Bottom line, this lens provides results no better that a decent smaller sensor camera and, combined with a Nikon DSLR, is like putting a student driver in a Ferrari, that is, pointless.

My recommendation: save your pennies and get the big stuff, and you will understand why you got a DSLR in the first place.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2011
This lens is useless for shooting the night sky since it will not hold its zoom position.

Nikon does not take responsibility for the lens creep issue. I sent mine in under warranty repair and they sent it back with the same zoom creep. They call this creep "normal". That's akin to a car company saying their brake failures are "normal" as a way to abrogate their responsibility to fix the issue. Simply calling a malfunction "normal" does not make it so. This lens has an inherent flaw that Nikon wants to sweep under the rug.

Here's from their web page:

What is Zoom Creep? Zoom Creep
Zoom Creep is the effect gravity can have on your zoom lens under certain circumstances. The 18-200 lens tends to slowly zoom in or out under its own weight if pointed straight up, straight down, or at a sharp angle and nothing is touching the zoom ring. Most of the creep occurs between 30mm and 130mm in the zoom range. This is normal and the zoom action can't be tightened to eliminate creep.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2010
I am disappointed in the quality of this lens (Nikon 18-200 VII) that I purchased off Amazon in April 2010. When I make a picture, there is a grinding glass sound, a click, and often the image in the viewfinder vibrates when the shutter is released. I did a lot of internet reading before purchasing this lens, but I missed this article: [...]. This forum address this problem as "normal" for the Nikon VR lens. I must say that it is extremely disappointing to save and spend $[...] on a "name brand" lens and have it make such cheap sounding noises when in use. I want to return it, but don't have a good alternative for a "walk-about" lens -- any suggestions? I have a Nikon D90 and I love the camera and my 85mm 1:1.4 D lens. My son graduates in May, and that was my primary reason for the purchase of this second lens. I was expecting a quiet, well constructed lens -- very disappointing.
88 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2014
Advertising for this product did not reveal that it is made in Thailand. Nikon reserves its Japan facility for its better lenses.
I returned the because I'm not spending that kind of money for third world products.