From the Manufacturer
Speed, ease and great image quality are the results of advanced Nikon imaging technology built into the Coolpix S5100. A versatile 5x 28-140mm optical Zoom-Nikkor glass lens and 12.2 megapixels produce stunning pictures and HD movies. The sleek, compact design makes the S5100 convenient to carry, and its automatic features and bright 2.7-inch LCD makes it easy to compose, view and share images. Nikon's 4-Way VR Image Stabilization combines four technologies for crisp, sharp pictures, and Nikon's Smart Portrait System finds faces, fixes red-eye, softens fine skin lines, provides a blink warning and fires the shutter as the subject smiles.
Nikon Coolpix S5100 Highlights
Advanced Flash Control
Enables bright, natural-looking shots with less blur even under dim lighting conditions.
Hand-held/tripod night landscape detection function
When shooting night landscapes and other nighttime shots, the camera automatically distinguishes between hand-held shooting and shooting using a tripod, and then adjusts ISO sensitivity and shutter speed accordingly. This is the first Nikon camera equipped with the hand-held/tripod night landscape detection function, which enables capture of nighttime shots with less blur. This function makes it possible to capture beautiful photos, as intended, with shooting of nighttime scenes that, until now, have often been blurred.
Superior high-speed response that consistently captures the moment
With fast start-up, focusing speed and quick response while shooting, the Coolpix S5100 offers the high-speed operation that will capture those once-in-a-lifetime shots.
Five advanced technologies for beautiful shots at night
Advanced flash control and Optical VR image stabilization combine with enhanced Motion Detection and ISO 3200 capability at any image size to help ensure beautiful results even when the lights are low. Auto detection and exposure setting for tripod and handheld shooting further ensures better images under challenging lighting conditions. Note: Auto detection functions only when VR image stabilization is turned on in the setup menu and Night Landscape scene mode is selected, either manually or by Scene Auto Selector.
*1 The camera selects and uses only the features required to optimize each image.
Face-priority AF helps produce more satisfying portraits by adjusting focus and exposure for as many as 12 faces in the framed shot. Skin Softening function detects and analyzes a framed subject's skin, and then adjusts smoothness to produce enhanced results.
Smile Timer automatically releases the shutter when the subject smiles, while its Blink Proof function shoots two sequential frames, then saves the one in which the subject's eyes are widest open. Blink Warning presents an alert when it suspects that someone in the shot has blinked. In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects any perceived red-eye effect before saving the image to memory.
Intelligent automated shooting modes that promote carefree shooting
Nikon's Scene Auto Selector makes it faster and easier to capture the moment by eliminating the need to manually select a scene mode to match the intended shot. This intelligent function determines the subject, analyzes the surrounding settings, and then automatically selects the appropriate scene mode for optimal results.
Subject Tracking enhances the shooting experience by following the subject's movement to ensure clear focus and quick response when that special shutter opportunity presents itself.
Quick Retouch automatically adjusts the contrast and saturation of selected photos to create an enhanced copy with the right finishing touch.
One-touch HD movie recording
A single press of a button lets you begin recording 720p high definition movies with ease and speed that helps ensure you capture the moving moment.
Superior Image Quality
- 12.2-megapixel CCD sensor for stunning image quality.
- 5x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom-Nikkor Glass Lens. Versatile 28-140mm lens ranges wide to capture landscapes, zooms in to get close to the action. In the Nikkor tradition of precision optics, the high-quality glass lens delivers superb color and razor-sharp results.
- 4-way VR Image Stabilization System
- Optical VR Image Stabilization by lens shift minimizes the effect of camera shake.
- Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and ISO to compensate for camera shake and subject movement.
- High ISO up to 3200 at full resolution for optimum results when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects.
- Nikon's Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to ten shots while the shutter is pressed, then selects and saves the sharpest image.
- EXPEED C2 continues to expand the possibilities of photography with improved levels of image quality, fine detail and processing speed. Custom-optimized for each Coolpix model, Nikon's renowned digital image processing engine ensures outstanding images.
- 2.7-inch Bright (230,000-dot) Display with anti-reflective coating for still images and movies that come alive with rich detail and improved contrast.
- ISO can be set as high as 3200 at full resolution.
- In-camera editing functions include, Quick Retouch, D-Lighting and more.
- Color Options include Standard, Vivid, B/W, Sepia, Cyanotype.
- Subject Tracking will track a moving subject to ensure sharp focus.
- Smart Portrait System
- Smile Timer automatically releases the shutter when your subject smiles.
- In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects most instances of red-eye as you shoot. You may never see red-eye again.
- Face-Priority AF Nikon's face-finding technology automatically focuses on up to 12 faces.
- Skin Softening smoothes skin tones at three different levels for optimal portraits; can be applied while shooting or during playback.
- Blink Proof automatically takes two sequential shots and saves the one in which your subject's eyes are open.
- Blink Warning alerts you if a subject has blinked.
- 18 Scene modes, including Scene Auto Selector
- Scene Auto Selector automatically recognizes the scene you're shooting and selects the most appropriate scene mode; offers six scene modes plus auto.
- Macro shooting as close as 0.8 inches.
- 200 shots (approx.) with supplied EN-EL10 Li-ion rechargeable battery.
EN-EL10 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, UC-E6 USB Cable, EG-CP14 Audio/Video Cable, EH-68P Charging AC Adapter, Software Suite for Coolpix