on November 16, 2012
Here is the feedback I just sent to Nikon:

"I am quite offended that you consider the WU-1b's and it's accompanying software to be a suitable addition to the D600. Why would you bring such a gutless piece of software to the attention of people who are obviously serious about photography? One decent software developer and a few months time does not seem like too much to ask for a product that you guys are actively promoting. I am surprised that a company that I have always thought had extremely high standards of product quality would let something like this go to market. Boo on you Nikon, Boo."

Yes, you can see the live view image and change focal points. The clock sync feature is pretty slick. Outside of those features, the whole process is sloppy and slow. The app (iOS) crashes frequently and doesn't allow you to make ANY changes to your camera settings while it is connected. The idea that this is a good companion to a $2,000 camera is a joke. Not a very funny one.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2012
I excitedly bought this and waited for months for it to arrive in stock. When it arrived, I expected plug and play success since my experiences with iPhone apps and physical dongles have been good. The software didn't even work with the adapter. It continually disconnected. Even the most recent update to the software, while finally allowing the D600 to connect to the camera feels kludgy and unfinished. The software has minimal features, is rather unintuitive and hard to use, and as a result this piece of hardware, while it has significant potential, is a wasted effort. Don't be like me and waste your precious time, let alone your money, on this. It's rather shameful that Nikon wold release this product as it seems like a alpha version at best.
on January 2, 2013
I'm using the wireless adapter paired with an iPhone 4s with iOS6 installed. I'm finding the wireless adapter really very good. I bought it so that I could take pictures with my DSLR and then transfer a selected image(s) to my phone, do a quick edit in Snapseed (if you haven't tried it, it's brilliant! Free (I think) on Android and iOS), and then upload the image to Facebook/email/Twitter etc whilst on the go. For example, when the 2012 Olympics were on I wanted to share the day with friends as the day progressed but was limited to uploading photos to Facebook taken with my phone - frustrating when I had my previous Nikon DSLR with me that could take better quality photos in a wider range of circumstances. This little adapter solves that problem.

I have my camera set up to record raw files to the card in slot 1, and medium res jpeg files to the card in slot 2. From the phone app you can choose which card to read from, my phone cannot process raw files and the files are huge anyway, so I set it to read the jpeg card, and do a proper edit on the raw files once home in front of my computer.

The unit does use up a lot of battery power on your phone and camera. I wouldn't recommend leaving them permanantly connected (by default they disconnect after 300secs, at least on my unit anyway) This is explained in the user manual (which Nikon for some reason have chosen not to include with the wireless adapter - it would be a good idea too, Nikon, because it addresses a lot of the problems/questions people are having). To maintain the wireless connection, both camera and phone have to be permanently on, preventing them both going into power saving mode in their normal ways. The manual can be found here: [...]

The manual also explains how to have the wireless adapter connected and use the camera normally (ie use the viewfinder and change settings). Connect the camera and phone, start the Nikon app, select 'Take photos' and then at the top of the screen press the little camera/cog icon. You can then choose to control the camera shutter via the phone app/liveview on the phone screen or via the camera/viewfinder (and for the images to just download to the phone).

I've found I prefer to use the camera as normal, and then when there is a natural break in what I'm shooting, to wirelessly connect to my phone, browse the images and select the ones I wish to do a quick edit on and then upload to (for example) Facebook.

I guess you could use the adapter in a studio with the camera shooting in camera mode (as described above) and the images streaming to a tablet (I've not tried this, so no idea about compatibility), but I don't feel it is made for this - it isn't fast enough for one thing, and the range could be a limit too. If you want to do that then get a piece of wireless equipment that is more suitable for that job, or connect via USB cable. My opinion is that this adapter is for consumer purposes only.

You cannot use the wireless adapter to shoot and record video from the DSLR. Given the file sizes of HD video, I guess this would be quite a feat to transfer wirelessly and would use up the storage on your phone quickly too. I have no need to send video from my DSLR t my phone anyway, so I'm not bothered by this...

You cannot use the adapter to connect to your home router to wirelessly transfer the images to your computer, but it is much quicker to plug the card in to a card reader anyway (esp with the large files the D600 produces).

The app itself has crashed a couple of times, but I've had every app on my phone crash at some point. A restart of the phone has been enough to cure this problem.

I've given it 4/5 starts because I think it does everything Nikon do actually promise it to do, even if some of the options are hidden a bit in the app menu system. My only frustration is not being able to change the aperture/shutter speed via the app using liveview on the phone screen when the camera is set to aperture/shutter priority or manual mode. I hope Nikon enable this in a future app update (my feeling is they have deliberately not included this feature to separate this wireless unit from the way more expensive one that is available for the D800 and D4).

Hope that helps. I feel my expectations of this little device were lower (I wanted it purely for fun use, not professional use) than some people, so perhaps that is why I'm happier with it as it fulfils my need perfectly.

As Canon have demonstrated with their 6D, there will be a day when wireless is built into cameras as standard, and as Samsung have shown with their Galaxy camera, 3G will surely be built in to the camera bodies as standard soon too.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2014
I tried the Nikon's "Wireless Mobile Utility" with this wireless adapter and my first impression was that it was entirely worthless. If all I wanted was a remote shutter, there are better and cheaper alternatives. Like the Yongnuo RF-603. And then I found out that the Android app "DSLR Dashboard" supports this wireless adapter and that changed everything. DSLR dashboard is a free Android app that is a million times better than the Nikon app. The Nikon app lets you control the shutter. That is it. Full stop. Period. DSLR Dashboard essentially lets you control the entire camera. Shutter speed, ISO, WB, aperture etc. etc.

Again, don't waste your time with the Nikon app. Its completely worthless.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2012
When I read the press on this gadget, I was hot to trot to get one so that I could set up and shoot my forest and Nature photos utilizing the large iPad screen. What a rush!! However, nobody had them in stock as of 10/9/12. Found a guy selling on eBay who has them shipped from Japan. Got one delivered in 7 days. The literature does tell you that you can't do camera adjustments other than release the shutter with the Smart Device. When you open the software and select "Take Photos", you are automatically kicked into Live View. With some significantly slow video rates, you can focus the camera in manual mode in real time. What the literature doesn't tell you, however, is that when your hooked up to the Smart Device, in my case an iPad, all of the controls ON THE CAMERA are disabled! You can't set shutter speed or aperture while electronically attached with the WU-1b. The work around is that you've got to set up your shot and make your exposure settings before plugging in the WU-1b. Then you can refine the composition and focus pretty accurately on the iPad. It would be terrific if Nikon made an app for the Smart Devices that did what its Camera Control Pro 2 does. I won't hold my breath.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2012
This is one of those mediocre gadgets that has the potential of being very useful. I had more or less the same experience other reviewers had:

a) You need to know how to look for the wireless network generated by the WU-1B - not everyone knows how to do this. It would be much better if you switched on the camera, started Nikon's app and the iPhone or iPad connected seamlessly.
b) You can't change camera settings with the WU-1B on the camera. There must be some esoteric technical reason for this, but the one that comes to mind is software that was rushed to market without working out the kinks. I have used it with aperture priority and a flash and it worked well, but you have to turn off the camera and remove the device to change settings.
c) The camera periodically disconnects from the iPhone or iPad, usually after being idle for some time, but not always. The time after which it disconnects varies from 10 minutes to about 20 minutes. It may take some fiddling with the network settings and the button on the device to get reconnection promptly.
d) The downloads do take some time, but this is wireless so it's never going be speedy. It helps to decrease the file Quality setting to Normal or Basic. On the other hand, the first download seems to be the slowest, and subsequent ones seem to go faster. If you take a sequence of pictures and the camera disconnects, the downloads will continue after reconnection without any prompting on your part.
e) If you leave the device on for any length of time, it will suck the juice out of the battery in record time. It took 3.5 hours to lose 80% of a battery's charge under this circumstance.
f) If you have used a WT-5 with a D4, this is a downright disappointment. If you consider that the combined price of a D600 with a WU-1B is about 30% of the price of a D4 with a WT-5, I guess you might consider that it is reasonable if the cheaper combo has 30% of the features. It doesn't. Focusing by tapping on your iPad's screen and being able to take a picture from your iPhone, and downloading the pictures is not even 10% of what you can do with a WT-5, which is also browser based. On this one, Nikon definitely wins the bait-and-switch award.

Having said this, I used it mainly in a forensic setting and took over 1000 pictures with it. My main purpose was to back up the pictures on another device while I was taking them. Barring the occasional need to reconnect the devices, it did this well, but not much else. What I particularly resented was the need to turn everything off to change camera settings and reconnect the devices after you did. It prevents you from establishing any kind of continuous work flow. This is a device with great potential released prematurely. I think that a camera like the D600 deserves an accessory with greater functionality.
on April 22, 2013
Didn't buy from Amazon, but have found this useful. Using with D600 and a free Android app (on Xoom2) called DSLR Dashboard. Can control pretty near everything on the camera, though my main interest is for macro shooting using focus stacking. App is available on PlayStore.

The app was originally for USB tethering, but the developer recently added support for the WU1a and WU1b. Nice to get rid of the cable.

This is a much less expensive alternative to the Cam Ranger ($299) and they currently only support iPad/iPhone.
on September 1, 2013
Whether or not this works for you depends on what you want it to do. We gave up almost immediately on Nikon's app, and instead purchased Shuttersnitch (only iOS at this point, I believe). The combination of our Nikon D600, the Wu-1b, Shuttersnitch and our iPad lets us send files from camera to iPad in 4-5 seconds. We always shoot RAW+JPEG, and you can set up Shuttersnitch to transfer just the JPEGs, which are all you really need for reviewing. We almost always shoot manually, so not being able to use the app to adjust camera or focus settings is not important to us. Having the Wu-1b attached to the camera does not prevent us from making any changes to the camera settings. Not quite a good as tethered shooting in the studio, but still a very useful way to view photos as you're taking them on a much larger screen than the back of your camera, let the art director/client see what you're shooting, start ranking/rating the photos (which can be then by synchronized with Lightroom, using an additional app called Snitch Sync), etc. If you go this route, make sure you do some tests first, to adjust the screen brightness slider on the iPad. Otherwise you may make camera exposure adjustments based on a incorrect screen appearance on the iPad. Sure wish it was possible to color calibrate (then lock) an iPad, but can't do so yet.
on November 5, 2013
I purchased the WU-1b about a month ago, my only objective was to transfer jpeg files from my D600 to my iPhone, I did not care about using the remote control features I just wanted to be able to upload jpegs that I took with my DSLR from my phone; The end of the story is that I returned this item. The WU-1b just was not able to stay connected to the iPone5, I downloaded the latest version of the app, the latest IOS, the latest firmware, called Nikon customer support and they where not able to help with the issue: As soon as I selected an image to download the iPhone and the cam,era got disconnected , I must say that they (Nikon) offered to exchange the item but by then I was tired of the WU-1b, plus I have to say it is silly that my 2500$ DSLR (before Nikon announced the D610 effectively devaluating my 1 year old camera by 1000$) does not have WiFi inside while the 200$ point and shoot does (even the "new" D610 doesn't have WiFi).
More impressions: The WiFi dongle is uncomfortable to use, easy to loose in your bag and just not practical. Off course is just a matter of time that all cameras integrate WiFi, but mean while I have my D600 (which I love) and I am not planning to change it any time soon. I ordered a EyeFi card, I hope this might be a more practical solution.
No, I don't recommend this product, perhaps was just a lemon and I just had bad luck, but I don't like the WU-1b as a WiFi solution.
on May 10, 2013
I read the reviews, then I went to YouTube to get some idea how to use this product, to determine if it was worthwhile acquiring. Based upon my research, despite some possible misgivings, I acquired the device. It works, sort of. However, all I wanted to do is control the taking of a picture from Live View using my iPod or iPad. It was painfully clumsy to use. I experimented with the device for two hours, with the idea of working out any technical issues, pilot errors, etc. I could not control the camera other than take a picture; I would set focus, and it would take the subject out of focus.

Considering the cost of the D600, and the lenses I acquired for it, the WU-1b software (ios, not android) is so handicapped as to make use of the WU-1b with the camera so restrictive in what you can do as to make it undeniably useless (how's that for a run on sentence?).

FYI - no problem with the vendor, or getting the product. It is the product itself that makes me wonder why Nikon, one of the top rated companies for cameras and lenses, allow such an incredibly poor piece of technology to leave the shop.

Sorry, Nikon. I am SO disappointed; you get 99/100 on everything I have acquired from you so far; this product gets a 9/100.
Oh yes, I am a College Educator. Here is your grade for the WU-1b: FAIL.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...