5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about one family's need for freedom.
I downloaded Nine-Tenths last Saturday around 6:30 in the morning, and had it finished by noon. At 430 pages on my Kindle, this is not a short book, but I was so drawn into the story that I just had to keep reading straight through until it was finished.

Published on November 30, 2011 by D. Ray Daniels

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Alternate Time
If there is one lesson that countless time travel novels have taught us, it is that no good can come of attempting to repair a perceived mistake in the past. For inevitably, a small change in a detail, often results in a more unpleasant future timeline.

Published on December 22, 2012 by Michael S. Kraus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about one family's need for freedom., November 30, 2011
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (English) (Kindle Edition)

Lately, I've been on a quest to find and promote self-published fiction that is truly good. I like the idea of people freely publishing their own work without depending on anyone other than themselves to decide whether they succeed or fail. But at the same time, I want that self-published fiction to be good. Professionally done. Edited. Free of misspellings. And most of all, I want fiction that causes an emotional reaction and makes me really care about the characters. Nine-Tenths is one of those books.

Nine-Tenths is both a time-travel story and a Dystopian future novel. While I'm always in when it comes to time travel, I tend to avoid most Dystopian society books on account of the fact that they depress the hell out of me. But I took a chance on Meira and Nine-Tenths, in the hopes that she could deliver a good story, and I'm glad I did.

Nine-Tenths is full of the kinds of tropes that you would expect of a book that explores a repressive society. Paranoia, fear, betrayal, a sense that the world is rotting from the inside, and that idea that is the most depressing of all; that Big Brother is watching every stinking move you make. And while there are those creepy, drama-filled scenes, the book doesn't descend into such a bleak place that you want to quit reading. There isn't a sense of hopelessness that can sometimes characterize this genre of fiction. The characters don't just give in to the inevitability of the System to control their lives--no; instead, the characters decide to vote with their feet for liberty and fight against their fates.

There are lots of juicy dramatic beats to this book. The clock ticking and time running out. Innocents lost to the crushing evil and oppression of Big Government. Rules and laws that make you rage at the thought of having to live under such evil policies. There were times I'd cuss out loud at the villains while reading. But at the end of the day, the book leaves you with a sense of hope at the spirit of freedom that lives in all our hearts. And as far as I'm concerned, that's just good writing.

Nine-Tenths is well worth the price and the time it takes to read. Give it a shot. I think you'll like it, you know...unless you're a commie or somethin'. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dystopian with a difference, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (Paperback)
I'm not a guy who likes time travel stories or dystopian stories. Nine-tenths is both. I had to fight against that. It isn't the book's fault. It's my own hang up: I have a hard time suspending belief to get sucked into time travel tales and the dystopian stuff goes against my natural optimism for the future. I never understood the charms of the classics of this genre: 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Anthem, or A Clockwork Orange.

But I kept reading Nine-tenths because it had something different than those works. Those are about the individual raging against their particular machine. Nine-tenths is about a family doing so. None of those others (least that I can remember) deal with the issue of family and the sacrifices a family would make in a world oppressed. Why is that? I've no answer. The sex of the author? Maybe. (N.B. I've not read The Handmaid's Tale...yet.)

Another aspect I liked about Nine-tenths is a difference in world view from prior dystopian novels. Most seem to work on the Marxist assumption that history is a tidal wave of inevitable social and cultural forces overpowering and overturning people and institutions. It holds the assumption that a single man is powerless. I can't abide that. Maybe that's why I don't like most of dystopian literature. It assumes that on the path to totalitarianism no one is 'standing athwart history yelling Stop'.

Nine-tenths beginning seemed to keep this tradition alive. However, throughout the book it is slowly countered and a certain unexpected and surprising twist completely rejects it. That made me smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Novel!, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (English) (Kindle Edition)
I use my Kindle to hunt down fantasy and sci-fi themed books that cost .99 to 2.99 since I believe there is so much good out there missed by those looking for the next Game of Thrones. I personally have read so much that I have become tired of the same general theme to many fantasy/sci-fi novels, and even some of the deals through the Kindle are not that good. Then I came across Nine Tenths.

This book is definitely worth reading. It is really good and will keep you very interested up to the end. Yes, the book has themes coming from 1984, George Orwell, and Ayn Rand, but its all done in a way that feels different and refreshing. I was never bored and enjoyed all of the major characters. It left me asking myself how far down that road could we go in the real world.

I personally hope there is some kind of sequel where he tries to save his wife and take both his wife and daughter back to his world. I also would love to learn more about the dystopian world that they are living in. What is it like in other areas of the country? How does the rest of the world view the USA? Is the whole world like this? Why did Leonard's co-worker get so pissed off when he was talking about East Germany? What the hell happened in Europe? I want to learn more about the President and why hes such a lunatic. Maybe we could see Leonard become the leader of the rebels since he comes from a different world and knows what the twisted USA should look like. Can a man so uncaring about anything except himself in the beginning, with a lack of confidence in himself, become the savior of another world.

I could go on, but this book is just really good and leaves you wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternate reality adventure, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (English) (Kindle Edition)
I usually read reviews from other readers before purchasing a book, but this one I based solely on the Product Description. It sounded interesting, and the story did not disappoint! This is one of the best books I've read in awhile. I found myself actually needing to put it down from time to time because the situations the characters found themselves in were stiffling even to me, and I needed to step away to lose the "walls closing in" feeling.

The main character of the story accidentally killed a young child 30 years before, and spent every waking moment working on a machine to take him back so he could fix his error. When he finally gets the machine to work, he emerges into a world competely changed, and not for the better. He now has a family, and they are trapped in a world where Big Brother watches every move, and personal freedoms are lost to the government. He now must find a way to save himself and his family from this new (to him) nightmare scenario.

As another reviewer suggested, the ending leaves an opening for a sequal, and I hope the author gives us one! Highly recommended story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (English) (Kindle Edition)
Simply put, this book was a revelation! The plot started out incomprehensible, and really fleshed out quickly into a gem of story telling. I encountered no punctuation issues or poor grammar, oh so common in free or .99 books. Definite a+ from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Look at Our Future?, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (English) (Kindle Edition)
It's a rare novel that's good enough to blow me away, but Nine-Tenths fits that bill. I started this book a couple months ago, and put it down not too long thereafter, a little baffled by the science-fiction nature of the opening and not sure what to expect from the rest of the book. I picked it up again a few weeks ago, and I'm certainly glad I did!

The opening chapters are a little unusual for a book of this genre, but what follows as the book unfolds. . .is excellent. Nine-Tenths reads like an intellectual marriage between Ayn Rand and George Orwell, set in a world devastated by apocalypse--an apocalypse caused not by germ warfare or nuclear weapons, but by a totalitarian government bent on control at any price. Meira Pentermann clearly has a message to convey in her work, but she does an impressive job of conveying it in such a way that it does not get in the way of the story. There are very few science-fiction elements in the story--most of the technology used already exists and adds to the verisimilitude of the plot.

In the end, Nine-Tenths is more than just a thriller. It's a sobering and all-too-real look at the end of a road we've already begun to travel, and I applaud the author for a job well done in presenting it. Easily one of the top five independent novels I've read, and highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Alternate Time, December 22, 2012
Michael S. Kraus (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (Paperback)

Thirty-one years ago, Leonard Tramer caused a traffic accident. In that accident, young Tommy Richardson died. Haunted by his fatal error, Leonard spent the next three decades trying to repair this horrible mistake. His solution was to build a time machine, go back in time, and save Tommy's life.

He succeeds. He saves Tommy's life. But, when he returns to the present, the world he finds is not the world he left. The country is governed by a totalitarian regime similar to East Germany during the cold war. There are political prisons, spies, fascist youth corps, and rationing of basic necessities.

Leonard has no recall of his life in this timeline. He finds he has a wife, daughter, son and job. He needs to figure out how life works in this timeline. One mistake could cost him and his newly discovered family their freedom or their lives.

I was interested in the basic premise of Meira Penterman's novel. I agree with her that a small event in history can create huge differences in the future. I did not find her dystopian alternate world to be very believable. I just felt that the main character would have had a more difficult time surviving in such a dangerous society.

5.0 out of 5 stars A suspenseful political thriller, October 14, 2012
A Reader (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (Paperback)
"Nine-Tenths" is a political thriller. The title refers to the split second during which a person makes a crucial decision, and the consequences of that decision, whether good or bad. From the first pages, the reader is enthralled and bewildered by the story. Is this a fantasy? some sort of a dream world? or the real world gone terribly wrong?

The protagonists, Leonard Tramer and his wife Alina face moral dilemmas forcing them to choose between betrayal and loyalty leading to life or death for themselves and their family. They live near Denver. Very plausible. But as Leonard slowly discovers, they are living under a totalitarian military government. Has he been in some kind of a trance, or has someone been "messing with his brain" at his job at a government communications installation?

The novel describes a technologically modern "Brave New World", where the rulers depend upon fear instead of pleasure to control the population. However, the objectives are the same: power and control.

The author is plants clues and dialogue along the way to illustrate her theme of the people against totalitarian forces. For example, with a wink to Austrian economist F. A. Hayek and his classic "The Road to Serfdom", the rebel's dog is named Hayek.

Suspense drives the reader on as the dangers increase until... No, I won't spoil it for you! But once begun, it's hard to put down, close, turn off, or whatever you do to read now!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, June 5, 2012
Amazon Customer (Fayetteville, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (Paperback)
I just finished Nine-Tenths by Meira Pentermann and LOVED IT. The author did an excellent job of capturing the bureaucratic, collectivist mentality of people who are in positions of authority in a totalitarian regime. It was a mélange of Atlas Shrugged, Brave New World and Nineteen Eighty-Four.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had potential..., August 9, 2012
This review is from: Nine-Tenths (English) (Kindle Edition)
Reminiscent of Orwell's 1984, this book had great potential but simply fell very short. The authors need to continuously highlight how the realization of the current "liberal agenda" (i.e., the excessive expansion of government, a "desire" to promote mediocrity over ingenuity, the plot to destroy the traditional family, energy efficient light bulbs, how recycling's a scam, etc., etc.), led to the dystopia described in the book made it impossible for me to remain "inside" the story; the authors apparent disdain for the Left made it hard to maintain the necessary suspension of belief required when reading good dystopian fiction (like Nineteen Eighty-Four, Centennial Edition by Orwell, Brave New World by Huxley, or even The Handmaid's Tale (Everyman's Library)by Atwood). Good fiction, even one with a message, must to allow the reader to remain lost inside the story's pages - and this tale simply doesn't do that.

Furthermore, the novel's ending was less than satisfying. Overall, I'd say dystopian fiction is difficult to end (The Handmaid's Tale abrupt ending is a great example), and this is especially true if the author decides he/she wants a "happy ending". Recognizing this, I was expecting a choppy landing that might feel a little forced or overly "convenient", but the outcome for the main character's wife was just too much. Good fiction reflects real life, which means when someone makes a sacrifice they actually lose something - there's a cost. Alina's (the wife) miraculous ending was cheap and I felt cheated as a reader.

Finally, the "reveal" at the end was predictable. It's unfortunate that the author didn't use it earlier in the tale to spur the main character into action - possibly returning to that faithful moment and letting history repeat itself. It's incongruent that a character who spent 30 years of his life trying to save one little boy would not recreate that technology to save thousands, if not hundreds of thousands lives...

On a positive note, the stories overall character development was pretty good and the initial time traveling plot devices was spot on. For these reasons I gave the book two stars instead of one.

Nine-Tenths (English)