Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 28, 2012
This is a very short and quick read. Personally, I found it simply reinforces what I consider to be "common sense" and what I mostly try to do. I didn't find anything here that is earth shattering other than the author is not a snake oil motivational sales person, but a logic straight forward person - so this book has none of the crock that typically pervades this type of genre.
As the author is an academic psychologist, I did find the few referrals to actual experiments too sparse, and too general. Anyhow, as I understand it, this book is the teaser to her longer work "Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals" - maybe I should read this one for a more in depth treatment.
"There are nine things that successful people do - the strategies they use to set and pursue goals that, according to decades of research, have he biggest impact on performance."

Heidi Grant Halvorson, a psychology professor at Columbia University and author of the highly acclaimed "Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals", has written about the nine things we need to know and do in order to achieve our goals.

This is a gem of a book. A real treasure. While I really enjoyed and learned from her book Succeed, in some respects I think this one can be a much more valuable tool for those readers who are more interested in specific strategies and steps to take in order to improve their chances of success.

While this book leaves out a lot of the material that serves as scientific back-up for the nine steps, the information is available to the reader who wants it. Throughout the book, certain keywords are underlined. Click on the underlined keywords and you are taken to websites which offers additional information and support for the studies.

The book is very short and a breeze to read. You should be able to read it in about an hour. But my suggestion would be to read it through one time to get the overall theory and then go back through it and actually do the suggested exercises. Some of the nine things will require a change in mindset. I believe by reading the book a few times and internalizing the ideas, you will be able to start developing a success mindset.

A great part of the value of the book is in the structure and presentation. The nine steps are not cluttered with a lot of stories or theory. There is certainly enough information to explain and support the premises for each point. But the points are very straightforward and easy to understand. At the end of each chapter is a "Putting it into practice" list of specific actions to take.

This is the Kindle version of the book. However, it is not necessary for you to own (or buy) a Kindle to enjoy and benefit from this book. Amazon has a free Kindle reader which you can download to your PC.

Ms. Halvorson makes it very easy to understand the things you need to implement in order to achieve your goals. It is one of the best books I have encountered. And it is based on years of scientific research. If you are truly serious about success, this could be the most valuable book you will find. Ms. Halvorson has made learning about success her passion and she shares what she has learned in a great little book. A must read for all serious students of success.
22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2014
This book really doesn't provide anything new to the book written by Napoleon Hill about a 100 years ago.
It is really a waste of time and money.
The author acts like a preacher who takes one text of the bible and makes NINE lengthy sermons out of it, inflating it with stories and research really to tell you the six steps Napoleon hill mentions.
Yes it has more research and it cites good references, and it puts a more complicated language to name the same steps" just sounding sophisticated and more scientific, but is the same thing.
It is like telling you to take a bath in the morning, with a fancy dissertation about H2O and the reaction it makes with the chemicals in soap, how it interacts with your skin and flushes the dirt out.
YES, what a lame scientific crap!

I am so surprised Harvard is putting their name in such cheap inflated but still a lame copy, just validated by years of research. Napoleon Hill devoted 25 years to study this subject.

I categorically say, if you read Napoleon Hill's book you will obtain a better deal, and it is actually a less expensive book packed with great advice.
on March 3, 2014
This is a very short summary of other people's work. The author uses phrases such as "thousands of studies", "countless studies", "well over a hundred studies" etc. and yet when there are references it is to a single study. The book reads like a quick draft of ideas rather than discussing topics in detail. Even though I like the principles that the author tries to convey, I was disappointed.
on August 17, 2012
Fantastic scientifically-validated strategies to accomplish your goals. One of my favorite books - short, packed full of knowledge, and unbelievably helpful and useful. Get it - you will not regret it. If you're thinking about getting the author's longer book Succeed, I'd recommend getting this one and saving the extra time and money; I've read both and all of the strategies presented in the longer book are present in this shorter version. Enjoy!
on December 29, 2011
I was very disappointed in this book. First of all, it is S-H-O-R-T. Doesn't Amazon have some minimum where if it is shorter it is supposed to be a Kindle Single? If so, this book barely passed the minimum number of words. But the biggest issue I have is that it is a bunch of re-treaded ideas that have been in self-help books since the olden days. For example, Chapter 1 is "Set Specific Goals." I think anyone who has studied goal setting for any amount of time has seen this idea repeatedly.
11 comment|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2014
Apparently contradictory reviews aren't. If you have read similar books, such as the 7 Habits of Effective People you will think that this book is lightweight, too short and not well written. If, on the other hand, you are new to this genre you will think it is a jewel.
The problem of this book is that it relies on mediocre social science research, which in most cases present correlations as cause and effect. Such practice is often wrong because human psychology is very complex and responds to multiple causes. Also, the writer does not seem to be aware of the problem of studies with small sample size. She cites a study with Only 25 obese women who are then divided them according to their expectations of the results of a diet.
Fortunately, although the science is weak, most of what is said is obvious, as pointed out by others, so the tedous "studies show" can be just ignored.
on May 24, 2014
I first learned of Heidi Grant Halvorson from her webinars through HBR. I found her ideas interesting, and based on the evidence, so I decided to check out more of her work. This book is based on her blog post of the same title. If you just want the cliff notes, you should read her post and skip the book. But if you want more details explaining each of the nine behaviors as well as information on the science behind it, I highly recommend the book. It's a short book, and won't take you very long to read. I bought the Kindle version, and it's reasonably priced. Each of the behaviors is clearly laid out with a statement of what the behavior is, examples, and the science behind the behaviors.If you want a better understanding of the research behind the behaviors, the Kindle version has links to articles, although some of the links may be old because the document is unavailable. This is the biggest problem for me. I like footnotes so that I know where to go if I want to understand the issues more clearly.

To summarize, if you just want a quick look at the lessons, read the blog. If you want to understand the research behind the work, you can read books like "Willpower" and Kahnman's "Thinking, Slow and Fast." For a middle ground introduction, this books is pretty good. At least I liked it!
on September 21, 2012
This book is exactly as advertised: Nine things successful people do differently. It's concise and brief. While I'm sure this is a piece for the author's expanded work Succeed: How We Can Reach Our Goals, I can't see how that book would be anymore useful. If you want something informative and useful, something you can start using today, read this book.
on October 28, 2012
This book is simple and brilliant. I had a list of things I wanted to achieve, small things, and applied these 9 steps to each. I was done so fast that it was almost boring. Here are 9 little tweaks to things you already do that really do make all the difference.