Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 13, 2010
First saw the show a week after it won the Tony Award in 1982. Got the album, wished it had more....then the cassette version with more was released and finally, after the single CD the double almost complete version came out. Then there was the terrific studio version from London with Jonathan Price and Elaine Paige (can't find the complete two disc version anymore, but RCA has a condensed single CD available). I haven't heard nor can find the Australian version, but the revival in NY with Antonio Banderas had some terrific work, though some of the "stars" didn't shine as brightly as I would have thought.

And now we have Rob Marshall's attempt at recreating the success of CHICAGO with a musical that requires a lot more adjustments to make it work. I think DD Lewis is one of the finest actors around, but a hot blooded mediterranean soul is hard to capture through a British actor. Dame Judi.....anything she does is terrific. Penelope Cruz, good for you, Nicole Kidman....hey, she can act AND sing. But best of all was Fergi.....now THAT was a performance to remember. M Cotillard was given short shrift, with probably the most difficult female character, and in general the movie limped....at least we know that Sophia Loren is still gorgeous in her 70's......

The score has been greatly cut, songs and character pieces are gone, CINEMA ITALIANO didn't get me anywhere except back to the memory of RICH MAN'S FRUG from SWEET CHARITY. So, if you want all of NINE, get either the orginal Columbia 2 disc version, the British studio verson or the new RCA NY Revival......
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2009
WOW!! Having just returned from seeing the movie and having seen the Broadway production with Antonio Banderas, Chita Rivera, et al--the movie blew me away. It is a first rate film beautifully directed by Rob Marshall and beautifully acted and sung by the entire cast! But this is not a review of the movie, but rather of the nicely produced CD, which captures all of the excitement of the film.

Sure there are tunes missing that were in the Broadway show and sure there are tunes added for the film. After hearing that a film was going to be made it seemed to me that it was next to impossible to capture what was on stage. But it has been accomplished.

Daniel Day Lewis sings well, as does Nicole Kidman. But it is Fergie and Penelope Cruz and Marion Cotillard who are the scene stealers in the voice department. All three do great work as singers and interpreters of Maury Yeston's fabulous score.
Dame Judi Dench does a nice rendition of Follie Bergere and Kate Hudson does well with one of the new additions written specifically for the film entitled Cinema Italiano.

The bonus tracks on the CD include a fine Fergie cut of Quando, Quando, Quando, which is in the film, but not done by Fergie. And a young singer named Griffith Frank does a nice reading of Unusual Way.

I highly recommend the soundtrack CD of this great Yeston score!
on September 18, 2013
I wasn't sure this would be a great movie so I didn't want to pay full price. I order it used through Amazon and I'm so glad I did! It's a great movie and the price was great as well. Give the used "like new" products a try if they are the right price. I've bought several now and have not been disappointed.
on July 26, 2010
I wasn't sure if I would really enjoy this soundtrack as I wasn't too keen on Daniel Day Lewis's singing (although love him as an actor) and, on first blush, wasn't sure about Kate Hudson. Well, after a second review of the movie and then this sound track I was glad I had purchased it. Although still not a big fan of DDL's singing everyone else did a spot on job. And I am now a big fan of Kate's singing and dancing performance.
on February 19, 2010
Loved the movie, loved the soundtrack. Listening to the soundtrack really helps to recall and visualize the performances. I get to enjoy them over and over via the CD soundtrack.
on August 16, 2012
GREAT BOOK!!! Fantastic merchant! Great merchandise! I would recommend them to anyone!
on September 19, 2014
Great and easy transaction
on February 2, 2015
Enjoyed the movie and the music.
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2009
"Nine" has been a favorite musical of mine since Tommy Tune's electrifying original production back in the early 80s. It's not necessarily the most accessible show ever written - it's no "Fiddler on the Roof" -- but it pulsates with an infectious energy and theatricality all its own.

I can't think of a film director better suited to the material than Rob Marshall; from early clips, and this splendid soundtrack, it seems as if it's going to be great. Which is not to say that the album is a complete success. The good news is that Marshall has once again gotten terrific musical performances out of movie stars one doesn't necessarily think of as singers. Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Kate Hudson and Marion Cottilard all turn out to have great voices; their star turns are marvelously realized, with Cruz' definitive "A Call From the Vatican" outdoing both Anita Morris' and Jane Krakowski's Broadway versions (which is saying a lot). Oddly enough, Nicole Kidman, the one performer we've all heard sing before - in "Moulin Rouge" - comes off as bland and flat; I wish her blunt rendition of "Unusual Way" were more expressive and heartfelt. I'll reserve judgment on Daniel Day Lewis' Guido until seeing the film. On this recording, the performance seems a bit perfunctory and detached. But one can never underestimate an actor as skilled and subtle as he; there's likely far more to the portrayal than meets the ear.

I sorely miss some of the stage play's best songs, including "Only With You," "Simple" and, most particularly, "Getting Tall," which would seem to be indispensable to any production of "Nine," as it expresses Guido's personal epiphany. But one has to trust Marshall and see if his conceptualization of the piece justifies the cuts. I have a feeling they will. The new numbers Maury Yeston has written are, for the most part, successful, with the exception of the embarrassingly inept "Take It All." To quote Carol Channing from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," it's simply "tres lousay."

That "Nine" was ever filmed in the first place is a miracle. That most of it seems to have been done with the care and theatricality that the material deserves is a tribute to the skill and taste of Mr. Marshall. Can someone please get him to film "Kiss of the Spider Woman," perhaps with Ms. Cruz and Javier Bardem? Or how about "Follies" with most of his "Chicago" cast. That's something I'd dearly love to see happen.
on August 11, 2015
Love this movie...may be a little too cerebral for some.