1,762 Reviews
 (1,252)

5.0 out of 5 stars My best kitchen gadget
This is my best little gadget and I have many. I wanted a Vita Mix since I can remember but it was too expensive while raising a family. I finally got one a few years ago, and it was a big disappointment. It was big, bulky and noisy and it did not do anything special. I used it all the time anyway to make smoothies, it was not much good for anything else.
Then I...
Published on May 23, 2011 by Woody

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design...mediocre blender
Published on May 22, 2011 by Jill P.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best kitchen gadget, May 23, 2011
This review is from: Ninja Master Prep (QB900B) (Kitchen)
Then I saw this Ninja on TV and thought it was a gimmick. I finally bought one since I started to hear many good things about it. And it was very affordable.
I can make my refried beans, chop onions and garlic, smoothies and sauces, but my favorite is the take frozen fruit and add some milk or coconut milk and turn it on, it is just about the best frozen dessert you can find, you may not even have to add sugar if your fruit is sweet enough.
I really love this Ninja I use it every day and sometimes twice or three times.
I am thinking of getting another one just in case this one breaks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Blender System!, January 29, 2011
I received this as a Christmas gift, and so far, I love it. I currently own a Krups blender, which was only about $30, and I was preparing to buy something like a Viking Blender - something that has a much more powerful motor system, for around $150, when my parents got me this. The great thing about it is that it's not necessarily a blender. I mean, it is by definition, but there's a couple key differences. Blenders have an inherent flaw of only blending what's at the bottom, especially when it's something thick like a shake. I always ended up with big chunks of ice cubes in my shakes even after 3 minutes of blending. The ice just never reached the bottom. Not a problem with this system. Even if the blender carafe didn't have 3 sets of blades, it already works better than a blender because the blades aren't embedded in the bottom of the carafe. Which allows me to point out another awesome thing - don't you hate trying to scoop out your drink from the recessed blade area of a blender? And sometimes it just never gets clean? Or it leaks if you don't screw it on tight enough, or, God forbid (this happened to me once) the whole carafe unscrews itself while it's blending and crap flies everywhere? I love the design of the Ninja system if for nothing else than just to avoid all of that!
I haven't used this system for too many things yet, but let me tell you one thing it excels at - chopping ice. And I don't mean those dinky ice cubes that you get in the plastic trays. If you know anything about silicone ice molds, it makes the cubes huge and square. I looked at the ice cubes, and then at the Ninja and thought "let's give this a whirl". Boy was I surprised. Not only did it pulverize the cubes, but it did so in less than 30 seconds. Unlike my Krups blender, which would get hot and almost smoke if left on too long to try and pulverize the ice cubs, the Ninja motor didn't even get warm.
Now, onto the cons, which really aren't that bad. The whole system itself does take up a lot of space. I honestly don't think I need 3 carafes with 3 separate sets of blades and 3 lids. I have used the chopper, and it's definitely nice, but I don't know if I'll ever use the middle one. Maybe if I needed to chop something big like carrots or celery or something, I don't know. Another con is the obvious inability to allow it to sit there and blend something because you have to hold down the button for the motor. Now, this might not be so bad because it is extremely powerful, the blades are VERY sharp, and it doesn't take long to pulverize anything. But, it would be nice to be able to set it, and walk away for 30 seconds to do something else, even if it's nothing more than preparing to put more ice cubes in, (which, is another flaw - you have to remove the motor and the lid before adding any solids). But, I think the flaws in the system, the way it's designed, allows the user to avoid dealing with the problems a normal blender has, and that's worth it to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice blender & chopper, July 15, 2011
I generally don't write reviews, but I have had an interesting enough time playing with my "Ninja" that I am writing this.

I bought the Ninja as a blender replacement and food chopper (more specifically, to dice and grind hard cheeses). I was initially going to order a Cuisinart/KitchenAid mini-prep or similar, or a blender/food processor from Cuisinart. However, after reading Consumer Reports' ratings of food choppers/food processors and blenders, I decided to give this a try - it has a lot of good ratings on Amazon, and CR rated it as the best food chopper and 2nd best blender (right after the $250 Vita-Mix, which I never even considered). The Cuisinart blender/food processor was ranked substantially lower, although it would have been able to slice and shred as well.

My needs - I am an amateur home cook, and I like to try different things. I do not cook in high volumes. I also try to limit what I have in my kitchen to tools that I enjoy and will use. Frankly, given that this is an infomercial device, I was wondering if it was a good option or not even after I ordered it.

Upon opening, it seems to be pretty well contsructed. No redundant tools, although for the smallest bowl/chopper, the blade assembly is in 2 parts rather than in 1 part. It takes about 5 seconds to assemble, so it's not a big deal, but I don't know why this is the case.

I have used it for several different tasks:

1) Blending a fresh mango/pineapple/coconut milk/milk smoothie in large blender. Quickly blended all ingredients into a smooth mixture. Am drinking this as I type. No chunks, lumps, or other problems. Definitely above my old blender, which is over 10 years old (Oster). Also processing sauteed leeks into a leek pasta sauce with parsley - a few missed parsley strands (stalks), some missed bits around edges. Suspect a food processor with a feed tube wouldn't have had this, but would have been much more difficult and messy to get thick pastelike sauce through a feed tube.

2) Grinding hard Romano cheese in small chopper bowl. Very quickly reduced 1" wide chunks into coarse powder. No lumps, worked very well.

3) Avocado/goat cheese dip in medium bowl. Worked well without lumps or problems.

In summary:

Pros - easy to assemble, multiple bowls so you can work on multiple food projects at the same time without rinsing or cleaning bowls (this is really convenient), blades remove easily and you can fiddle with bowls without fear of nicking your fingers, works well for all food chores, cleans easily in dishwasher (blades)

Cons - am still getting used to "top down" blender rather than the usual blender style with lid on top and blades on the bottom, blades need to be in bowl before adding food, initially bowls didn't clean well in dishwasher (not sure why; the avocado dip and and leek mixture took a few washings. This may have been a dishwasher issue, and haven't heard of similar problems)

In short, I would buy this again preferentially over a blender and food processor, as this is easy and convenient ehough that I think that I will use it sporadically to regularly, probably moreso than a blender/food processor combo. If I do need to slice/shred, will probably buy a Presto Professional Salad Shooter (have used one and it works, although it's messy) over a larger food processor given my needs. If I had to use a blender/chopper often, I'd still go with the Ninja. The ability to use multiple bowls/projects is much more convenient than I had anticipated.

I do hope they come out with a food slicer/shredder now. :-)

Update 12/5/2011 - I am actually using this significantly more than I anticipated. The small chopper gets used for blending protein powder into chocolate milk/smoothies for my daughter, and I just used the large blender today to process some chunks of Gran Panado and ricotta cheeses with spinach for a "spinach ricotta" sauce for pasta. It's really easy to grab an empty blending container (I keep the blades in them and the tops on), toss some stuff in, and blend the heck out of it. It does not dice, however - you either end up with large chunks, or to process those some other chunks get pureed in the process. Still gets 4 stars, and I still hope that they come out with a slicer/shredder/dicing machine. As for cleaning, they wash as clean as anything else in my washer without any residual film or food particles (I still don't know what was so bad about that leek mixture!), although the flat bottoms collect water and need to be rinsed off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design...mediocre blender, May 22, 2011
After going through two low-end Oster blenders in as many years, I decided it was time to step it up a little. I love that the Ninja does not have a base - the thing that was the demise of my two previous blenders - and so there is no digging crud out of the bottom of the blender, and no awkward cluster of parts to take apart for cleaning and reassemble. It is SO easy to just rinse the blades, pitcher, and top, and leave them on the counter for tomorrow, or pop them in the dishwasher if I forget.

However, as a blender it's not so great. I use blenders for two main things: grinding flaxseed, and making smoothies. My old Oster blenders could grind flaxseed to a fine powder, and make perfectly creamy smoothies. So I was more than a little disappointed to discover that my fancy Ninja blender could only barely grind flaxseed, leaving many seeds still whole even after extended blending, and most others only half ground. The smoothies it makes are okay, but I am drinking one right now and I have to chew it. Not quite what I expected from a blender I thought would be better than my $20 Osters.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's just okay, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Ninja Master Prep (QB900B) (Kitchen)
I needed a blender so I did what I always do when I need something... I came to Amazon to read reviews. I stumbled across the Ninja. (I had no idea it was an infomercial product because I haven't watched TV in over 10 years.)

The reviews were incredibly positive, so I bought it in May of 2011. I bought it mainly for smoothies but have used it for many different things. Here are the pros and cons...

PROS: I like that the motor goes on top. It's very easy to store in a cabinet and doesn't take up too much space. The blades are ridiculously sharp! (They don't call it "Ninja" for nothing!) My first day with it, I sliced my thumb almost to the bone! Sharp blades are great on a blender... when you're careful!

CONS: Smoothies don't come out very smooth. Not even bananas. The constant pulsing is necessary only because the company used plastic parts where they should have used metal. Plastic parts can strip if directions aren't followed. I haven't stripped mine because I follow the directions, but the whole thing could easily be avoided by using better quality parts. But, products are rarely made to last anymore. Companies want repeat business.

The blades may be at different heights in the container but there's a reason for it. A regular blender uses a cyclone action to bring the product down to the blades, thus the product hits the blades. With the Ninja, the product just swirls around, not up and down. Even though the blades are at different heights, not all the product comes into contact with the blades unless you pulse on and on, over and over again. It's needless and annoying. To clean the blades, one stick must be twisted and pulled from a shorter stick. This puts your fingers hazardously close to the blades, just asking for your fingers to be sliced and diced, especially when the stick takes a little extra effort to separate.

Also, the seal on the pour spout is NOT tight. I have to put a towel over mine so it doesn't spurt out while I'm mixing things. And the top part of the blade stick (the plastic part that should be metal) that rests in the motor head (which should also be metal) gets dirty from what your mixing, causing the motor head to need to be cleaned. The whole point of the motor being on top was so that it stayed clean.

Overall, it's just okay. It's not the worst blender I've ever owned but it's certainly not the best. I wouldn't buy another one.

UPDATE ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2013: Everything above still stands. Nothing has changed. I did buy a Blendtec Mixer and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! Unfortunately, I had to return it because every neighbor in my apartment building (the ones above, below and on each side of me) complained about the noise. And I couldn't blame them! (Flight #777 now boarding for take off!) So, I'm back to using the Ninja. To be honest, In 2 1/2 years I've had it, I've only used it about a dozen times. But, that's BECAUSE of the cons I listed above. I only use it when I have smooth things to blend. No more smoothies. I just can't bring myself to spend more money on yet another blender so I've learned to live without one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ninja vs. Vitamix, July 4, 2012
So when Consumer Reports says "save $400 and get the same results as Vitamix", any owner of a Vitamix (me included), has to take notice and get interested. Therefore, I went down to Target and got me a Ninja QB1004, luckily a few bucks cheaper since they were running a promo. I decided to do my breakfast smoothie using the Ninja. Now, my breakfast smoothie is the cornerstone of my nutrition, so this was serious stuff indeed. I use fresh and frozen fruit, almond milk, a profusion of greens (kale, collards, chard, bok choy, ....), and then add chia or flax seeds, bee pollen, goji berries, and other superfoods, if and when available. How did the Ninja perform? Pretty good! It did fine with the fruit, but when it came to the veggies and seeds, there were small chunks that you would never get with the Vitamix. Basically, the Vitamix really blends a smoothie, with the Ninja it's a roughie :) . I did find a perfect use for the Ninja: I will take it when I travel and going to be away from my beloved Vitamix. It's a lot more compact and it does an ok job. But, don't let those nice people at Consumer Reports tell you that it's the same, this just ain't a Vitamix.

5.0 out of 5 stars TheNinja Master Prep is great., March 15, 2011
carla vogel (DESERT HOT SPRINGS, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ninja Master Prep (QB900B) (Kitchen)
this is the Ninja that is similar to the Magic Bullet. I have loved my Magic Bullet but have almost worn it out over the years so got the Ninja. This Ninja is bigger and better because of the extra blades. I use it to make all of my pancakes, waffles, muffins, salsa, smoothies, chopped veggies, ham or chicken sandwich spreads, etc. You can pretty much use the Magic Bullet recipe booklet for both appliances. Just make sure the motor is properly seated on the base before you turn it on and it will work for years. It is my best kitchen friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Smoothie Maker, February 11, 2011
I really enjoy this product. I got it as a Christmas present from my in laws and it is the BEST blender I have used. Honestly, I've only used it for smoothies but will try to make sauces and such soon. Before I've always had to add ice to make my smoothies frothy. I like my smoothies well blended and smooth, but a little frothy. If I wanted it 100% smooth or liquid I would drink juice. If you blend for long enough though - it will become juice. Not that that's bad - just depends on your taste.

Best aspects of this product (*for me*):

1. easy to clean (take motor off, take the lid off, pull out the blade, wash)
2. easy to reassemble (put the blade in, put the lid back, place motor on top and go)
3. safety - the blade comes out right after you're done blending
4. nothing gets wasted - because you can remove the blade it's really easy to scoop out all the goodness. Before I would always have at least 1/2 C of smoothie wasted because I couldn't get to the bottom of the blender. (It wouldn't slide out because there would still be chunks of whatever I was trying to blend left anyway - never happens with the Ninja!)

Like I said - I haven't tried anything else with the Ninja yet but I do like it for smoothies. Perhaps I will try to make a vegetable juice and I'll update this review!

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually clean this thing!, May 23, 2011
B. Kemper "Buzz" (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the first top-driven blender I have ever owned, and wow does it make sense. I have never been one to look forward to cleaning a blender: in addition to the pitcher one has to scrub the blades now and then or they get, well, gross. Cleaning blades on a bottom-powered blender, while not exactly a gargantuan task, is still kind of a pain. This puppy is a snap to clean--blades and all! I actually clean it every time I use it and it takes about 15 seconds to do. Also, not to overlook the obvious thing one looks for in a blender, it works great. I make a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast, using mostly frozen fruit, and this machine does as good a job as anything I've owned. I got a crazy deal from Woot.com ($20), which helps my positive feelings about the Ninja, but even had I paid full price I would be happy. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because it only has one speed: crazy fast. This is not an issue for my morning shakes (my old blender had about a dozen speeds and I only used two of them anyway), but it could be an issue for some people. But for efficiency, it's ability to make a great smoothie and it's ease of cleaning, it has easily earned 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, March 2, 2011
I love this appliance! I often make what I call pancake bars, where I fill a silicone bar mold with pancake batter and then bake. I use the large pitcher to blend everything together and then pour it out directly into the pan. The batter is smooth and creamy with no lumps, I have found that layering the milk, dry mix and eggs works better that just dumping it all in at one. One of favorite uses of this machine is onion chopping! I can make them as coarse or as fine as I want, and when I make the dressing for my pasta slaw, I use it to blend everything together and it comes out great every time. I have never seen "sugar" ice before but I tell you this thing can put the whoop on ice cubes! The only negative thing I can say, is that sometimes after I add the ingredients they make the stem with the blades off balance, and you can not get the power pod to sit on the lid. So you either have to wiggle the stem around, or worse yet, remove it and take the ingredients out and then assemble it all again. This does not happen often but it can, and is a minor issue. I had the previous edition and gave it to a friend after buying this one. She stated she used a lot last summer making smoothies for her two boys and really likes it. Clean up is very easy, does not take up a lot of storage space. I think you only have to use it once to see that it is worth the money and will save you time with your food prep.

Ninja Master Prep (QB900B)
$49.99 $39.25