Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

on September 5, 2003
This DVD contains two short theatrical movies from the "Ninku" anime series and the "Yu Yu Hakusho" anime series. "Ninku" is about three Ninku (ninja-like) warriors: Fusuke (the bug-eyed boy), Aicho, and Toji. Also part of the group is Toji's sister Rihoko, played by the excellent Japanese seiyuu Hayashibara Megumi. Thier biplane crashes and when the go to apply for bodyguard jobs in the nearby town, they discover a group of imposters has taken their name.
In "Yu Yu Hakusho", Koenma-sama (Lord Koenma) has been kidnapped and the randsom demand is the Golden Seal of Enma-sama (King Enma). Botan enlists the help of Yuske and Kuwabara and they are soon joined by the rest of their team -- Hiei and Kurama. Now they must rescue Koenma-sama and keep the Golden Seal out of the enemy's hands.
Since this was not done by FUNimation, the English dub cast of "Yu Yu Hakusho" is different. Not only that, but the English script is such that the characters, especially Hiei, come off different from how they are in the Japanese version. The subtitles for both movies are very readable which is good. No honorifics are used and the Ninku subtitles are especially suspect in spots. The Japanese audio for "Yu Yu Hakusho" is just awful. It was done in *MONO* for crying out loud! What is that about? There was no excuse for this on the DVD.
Bottom line: Two fluff movies which are little more than slightly longer "filler" TV episodes. If you are a fan of either series, you'll want to check this out for fun. Otherwise, don't break your neck trying to add it to your collection.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2005
Picked this title up at my friendly pawnshop. Even then it was probably overpriced. My kids, who are huge YYH fans were bummed - especially by the voice-overs and the 30 minute length. Still, it was fun griping about the changes.

The Ninku movie is also about 30 minutes, but even worse quality. Not sure we will watch it more than once. Looks like the same animators and voice overs from Zatchbell.

Suggestion: Buy used and realize you are getting an hour or less of product!!! Otherwise, enjoy :)
on July 16, 2002
I bought this DVD thinking that it had 2 full length movies on it but what I really wound up with was 2, 1/2 hr. episodes, each randomly chosen from these two shows.
The Yuyu Kakusho Show is very entertaining when you know the whole plot, but this DVD doesn't give you any background on the story so you can't truly appreciate it. The episode contained on this disc takes place quite far into the series. It would be more worth your money to buy V. 1 of the series for the few extra bucks because you get something like the first 5 episodes on it..
I hadn't seen Ninku before I watched this DVD but it seems quite entertaining and I am sure it would be enjoyable if I knew more about the plot, but I don't.
This DVD is more of a sampler of 2 anime than anything else, and is a waste of money even at it's low price compared to most anime.
If you want to watch the Yuyu Kakusho Show, it runs on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim, but don't waste your money on this.
Two good anime shows, one bad, misleading DVD!
on April 11, 2006
Before I bought this DVD used from a local store I hadn't even heard of either series, much less seen them. I guess I have a fresh approach towards it since I didn't buy it simply because I liked the series. ^_^

For Ninku the movie (more in depth since no one really talked about it yet):

The fight scenes are very well done, even though no real weapons are used (I'm into sharp, pointy items that shine :P). There is a lot of detail used in making the special moves and their effects. I didn't feel cheated at all, even without any samurai swords.

As well known as the Ninku are, no one ever recognizes them! Fame and fortune don't always go together as they are often searching for ways to get food and money. Circus performers pretend to be the famous Ninku team in the very town the Ninku arrive at! What's worse, the only job around is to be the imposters' servents!

Fusuke may look a lot like a child with a blank expression, but he had been the captain of the first Ninku division. In the movie, he shows himself to be a very thoughtful, generous, loyal, and level-headed guy; what you'd expect in a leader. I found myself laughing AT him more than once during the movie and wondered how HE could possibly be a former captain. I didn't have any doubts once the fight scene truely started. He becomes very serious and the vibe you get from him changes.

Touji was a captain for the sixth division of Ninku. In the movie he seems to be Rihoko's brother. I was shocked at first to see him tear off his clothes to fight in his underwear, but it became comical.

Aicho was a captain of the nineth division of Ninku. Rihoko has a huge crush on him and he does about all he can to stay away from her.

Rihoko doesn't fight, she just tags along with the guys (I'm pretty sure she is in fact Touji's sister). I think her main role is comical relief and to be the occasional damsel in distress, but I like her sometimes bossy character.

The penguin is named Hiroyuki. He is very intelligent. Unfortunely, he also tends to have really bad gas. Poor Fusuke seemingly faints when Hiroyuki farts on him in the movie. Immature humor? Sure, but it's still funny to me. It isn't overdone or used in bad taste, so I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure it's an effective move in a fight. :P

Overall, it's VERY funny, even if in a stupid kind of way.

For Yu Yu Hakusho:

I could tell right away that this was a movie best viewed after seeing the series. I guess I lucked out that the store accidently gave me Yu Yu Hakusho the Movie (Poltergeist Report) first on accident. I got a clue as to who was who and how they all felt about each other. Because I was so new to the series I didn't really notice anything wrong with the characters or their voices, but I also was confused about certain things that weren't explained because they assume you've watched the series before the movie.

If you are flexible and can let characters be different than normal, then buy this used somewhere. It's, by far, not worth purchasing it brand new, so make sure you get it used.
on January 13, 2004
i purchased this dvd thinking that it was the other(and better movie poltergiest report) i had seen poltergiest report before but didnt remember the name anywho this dvd was horribl i am like the BIGGEST fan of yuyuhakusho an i found this offensive to all fans because it sucked it sucked more thatn britteny spears ithe plot was horrible and the animation did not live up to the seriries i was devastated when i watched this movie to any true yuyuhakusho fan i warn u stay away from this dvd i strongly suggest POLTERGIEST REPORT it is an excellent yuyu film
on April 7, 2004
When turning an anime series into a 30-minute movie, it's very important to consider what type of series you're changing. The Ranma 1/2 movie that was 30 minutes, for example, was still good, because most Ranma episodes are self-contained stories. YYH on the other hand, usually has stories that can take 5-30 episodes to tell. Sadly, the movie is over very quickly, and ends before we can really have an established story. Yes, they save the day(and Koenma) in the end, but it just feels like a rush. As for the dub, it was okay, I guess. It is better than the other movie's dub, though, which featured the voice cast from the Slayers and 4Kids. This actually does have a few decent dub actors, including excellent voice actor Stven Jay Blum(Cowboy Bebop's Spike, Big O's Roger Smith, GTO's Onizuka, as well as guest voices on US stuff like What's New Scooby-Doo and the Powerpuff Girls), and even David Hayter(voice of Solid Snake in MGS and Lupin in COC, as well as scripter of the X-Men films) as none other than Kurama(!). If you're a hardcore fan, you may want to get it, but others should either rent or try the other movie instead.
As for Ninku, well, that was just weird.....
on August 18, 2005
Okay, after reading several reviews, I decided to buy this anyway for a few laughs. Boy did I get my moneys worth! It was so incredibly BAD that I was first cringing in horror before I started laughing. The characters, especially Hiei, were so screwed up and the voice dubbing was so unfamiliar that in the end it had me laughing.

Now, I'm a die hard yyh fan, but I give it high marks just because it was so much fun to watch. Put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. If you arent pressed for cash and up for a few laughs i'd definitely suggest buying for th he11 of it.
on August 12, 2007
I'm a big fan of the Yu Yu Hakusho series and I'm extremely disappointed by this disc. Both of the titles, Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie and Ninku: The Movie are about 30 min. long and definitely don't qualify as movies. YYH is far less interesting than any other episode as it lacks any sense of suspense or development. Practically all of the voice actors are different. Even if you attempt to keep an open mind about this change, there is no denying that the new cast is inferior. They sound like a collection of adolescents and children and they fail to reproduce the Spirit World defenders properly. Yusuke and especially Hiei lose their attitudes, Kuwabara isn't very tough or macho, and Kurama isn't so much the refined gentleman. The camaraderie between the four is nonexistent. Only Botan feels somewhat familiar.

Ninku: The Movie sets itself up like the A-Team but then delivers more like Scooby-Doo. A supposedly fierce band of mercenaries encounters a group of misfits impersonating them for profit and then has to step in to save the misfits from bandits. There is nothing awful about this but there is no reason to go out of one's way to view it. Ninku is probably a fine series (I've never seen any other episodes). YYH is definitely a fine series. Nonetheless, there is nothing outstanding or even interesting about this set and it should be passed over by all but the most dedicated fans.
on April 6, 2001
The Yu Yu Hakusho Movie is great IF you are already familiar with the series. If you don't know a thing about Yu Yu Hakusho you're going to be lost. It jumps straight into the story without giving you any background information. If you have the basics of the manga or the TV series you won't have any problem enjoying it. Plot: Koenma(jr) gets kidnapped with Yusuke and team racing to the rescue.
As for the Ninku Movie all I can say is to picture the Simpsons as Martial Artists.
on November 30, 2005
I didn't even get through this movie all the way, yet in the first five minutes or so I found myself saying, "Gods... This is absolutely horrible." The voices are different, and the characters' personalities aren't even right! Even if you're a crazed YYH fan like myself, this simply isn't worth your time or money.