I've been a huge Nintendo fan since the GBA. So it stands to reason I'd get the 3DS. There are many good things about this system that make it an excellent purchase (perhaps not a "must buy" but a great purchase nonetheless!):

- Graphics are sharp, crisp, colors pop and overall it is ultra pleasing to the eye
- I love the color (I got Aqua Blue) and...
Published on March 27, 2011 by AlexJouJou

2.0 out of 5 stars 3D makes the kids dizzy after long use.
The kids complained about being dizzy after use. I bought two for a christmas gift and both kids had the same complaint.
Published 3 months ago by Jermain

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are prone to headaches - limit 3D viewing time but it sure is FUN!, March 27, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)

- I love the color (I got Aqua Blue) and surprisingly it is not a fingerprint magnet
- Enhanced options and potentially netflix and some game boy and game boy color remakes virtual
- Analog stick is responsive, easy to use, and us fans can say Nintendo finally heard us!
- I was very surprised to hear a rich vibrant sound coming from this unit. I didn't have headphones on and it was much better than the DSiXL unit
- The menu navigations are good but the three buttons do take some getting used to
- The stylus feels classy and I love the adjustability of it - very nice for all types of hands

There are many other benefits to this system and my fellow reviewer's have covered most of them. I myself use the unit to play games - I typically don't take photo's or surf the web or do various other sort of extra things. Sleep mode would be a good example - where you can put your 3DS in sleep mode and it does various things. If you are interested in those then check out the excellent video reviews posted.

However I have a caveat for anyone that suffers from migraine's or headaches. I played for an hour and a half in 3D last night and I had a massive migraine this morning. I felt the beginnings of a headache last night but I didn't expect to be hit with the whole light sensitive, nausea and vomiting, misery of this morning. So I searched the net to find out if that was a potential issue and sure enough it is. Does that mean I won't play my 3DS? Heck no but I've found some hints and helps I'm going to list here so anyone who is like me can make a informed purchase choice:

- Really work the slider to find the exact sweet spot - you will know when it is not because it is blurry. If you find yourself seeing blurry for any length of time (several minutes) then turn the 3D off for a while to rest your eyes
- Wear your glasses if they are designed for this distance
- Play 3D and 2D varying between the two and pay close attention to any sort of nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, etc.
- Do not let your child under 7 play this and with kids 7 and older I'd really watch them - Nintendo has stated this 3D is not recommended for children's eyes that are not yet developed
- Take frequent breaks and allow your eyes to do other things at different focus levels. So don't go, for example, from playing to reading which is usually about the same distance field. Try for shifts so that your eyes can focus at different levels and distances.

I'm not negging on the system - because I am sure this effect of headaches will probably only affect a small percentage of the population. However when you are one of those few and realize your beloved new unit actually causes pain and misery - well you want to be sure that you do what you can to make sure others' don't suffer needlessly.

Overall I am most impressed by this unit. I think it is a fantastic step for Nintendo who continue to break new ground with their products, and I can recommend it to adults and older children. I don't use the camera so I cannot comment on that. Of course the battery life is less - which is a bummer but much has been made of it already. I will update my review if I learn more on the headache issue and how to combat it or any further tips in that direction. The reason for the 4 stars is because I wish more had been made of the potential headache issue by Nintendo - I don't recall reading much research and, for those of us who are prone to this sort of thing, it would have been nicer to see this tested more thoroughly or if they did test it to release the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars The God of Handheld Games, June 14, 2011
If you for something Awesome you found it. This is the greatest thing the the Nintendo company will give you for now. So make the best of it. The picture quality of the 3DS is amazing. The 3DS also can normal DS and DSi games too. If this your first time buying a DS and don't own any games you don't have to worry about it. The 3DS has built in games and activities. So go ahead and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy even if you do not like 3D!, March 27, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
I just picked up my Aqua Blue 3DS and I am very pleased. The 3DS is not perfect by any means but I do think that it is a fine system so far. As I write this some features like Netflix are not available so I may come back and update this review when I can test these features out for myself.

The system feels comfortable to hold in my hands. The size isn't too far off from the DSi. The color has a sort of metallic look to it that is very classy though I do wish that Nintendo had given us more colors to choose from. There will undoubtedly be more colors to choose from in the future though. The color isn't exactly an aqua blue, it is more of a bluish-green.

The question that most of you probably have is whether or not the 3D effect works. Yes, it does but it will take some getting used to. Keep in mind that the 3D visuals depend on the system's camera to track your head and so you will need to look at the system from a specific point for the best results in 3D. It isn't that hard to keep your head in that spot but you may need some time to get used to this. The 3DS provides a glimpse into an actual game world so you are not just looking at 3D graphics, you can actually move the system and your view changes accordingly. For example, your character in the game may step into an in-game room and you can physically move your 3DS to the right and your view will shift as you move the system. It's a lot of fun and one of the included mini games will actually have you moving around your desk or kitchen table in order to look into a hole from the right angle.

At first your eyes might feel a little buggy after playing with the 3D effects. That is normal but you should get used to it after a few plays. You can also adjust the intensity of the 3D effect with a little slider on the right side of the system and you can even do this in the middle of the game. I personally like the 3D effect to be a little under half power. That gives a nice bit of depth but the effect isn't overpowering. If you do not care for the 3D effects then you can simply turn that feature off and you still have a powerful little handheld system. This is good for people who do not enjoy 3D movies as they will still be able to play games on this system.

In addition to the new 3DS games the system can play the older DS and DSi games already out there. In a couple of months Nintendo will be revealing an online shop where you can buy and download some of the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games optimized for the 3D screen. This effectively means that the 3DS already has a library of thousands of games even before we get into the 3DS games. The 3DS does have some flash memory for storing downloaded games but you will probably want to use the SD memory card slot and store your games on your memory card.

The 3DS does come with a 2GB SD card for saves and there are some applications already on it so you will have something to play right out of the box. There is a game where you can take pictures of yourself, your spouse, your pets or almost anything and attach the photos to flying enemies which you must then defeat. There is also a game that uses special paper cards. You put one of these cards on the table and look at it through the 3DS. You will see fun things happen like a hole open up in your table where a creature comes out and attack you or you can try another card to see characters pop up. Here is a tip, try downloading these cards from Nintendo's website and print them out on large sheets of paper. The size of the characters that come out are proportional to the size of the paper. A group of people in Japan strung together a massive square and made an avatar the size of a building!

Did you know that you can set your 3DS to sleep mode and it will communicate with other 3DS systems? Let's say that you are on your lunch break from work and you head to the deli with your 3Ds in your messenger bag. The system will find other systems and communicate with them. If you have a game such as Street Fighter 4 there will even be a mini-battle and if you win you will win rewards. The 3DS also has a pedometer so if you walk with it the system will track your footsteps and reward you with virtual coins you can use in certain applications.

Is the 3DS worth $249? I think so because of all the existing games that can be played on it and Nintendo handhelds are always very well supported with a healthy game library. It will very likely be at least two years before Nintendo updates the 3DS hardware and I certainly do not want to wait that long to play these games. Even if 3D video games are just a fad the 3DS will still play great games in regular 2D graphics and I anticipate that this system will have a great run just like its predecessors.

5.0 out of 5 stars My break Down of the Nintendo 3DS, March 28, 2011
In this review I will give a quick summary of each feature of the Nintendo 3DS

1) Design - The Nintendo 3DS is slightly smaller but heavier than the Nintendo DSi. If you own a DSi XL you may be disappointed with the screen size. Gamers who have owned a DSi will feel right at home. My honest opinion is that the screen isn't that small. In fact the 3D screen is almost the same size as an itouch 4 screen. I bought the blue 3DS; although it appears more like a green color. It reminds me a lot of the original GameCube. Located on the left side of the device is the volume slider. The Wireless switch is on the right side. This saves you from having to go into system setting to connect to the internet. 3DS slider located on the side of top screen. Below the touchscreen is the Select, Home, and Start button. The Home button will become your new friend!

2)3D- Luckily there is a 3D slighter. Each person will see the 3D differently. When having the 3D on full, I have trouble focusing. However, after adjusting the slighter I was able to view the 3D without much strain. After playing for 1 hour I DIDN'T experience a headache; although, my eyes become a little watery. As with anything that requires focus, from reading to staring at a computer screen, taking breaks frequent is always recommended. When viewing any kind of 3D images (TV, movies etc.), some people might experience minor discomfort. I recommend that you play when you are not sleepy. Nintendo recommends breaks. Take them. You should be taking the same amount of time away from the 3DS as you do a computer or TV.

3) Battery life - I have managed to get 6.0 hours out of one charge with 3D ON. However, I have kept wireless off when I'm in my house and do not feel like playing online. Nintendo says on average battery life is 3-5 hours, depending on screen brightness, Wi-Fi, sound volume, and 3D effect and 5-8 hours for DS compatibility mode. Just mess around with the features and see what it does for you. If the battery dies on you and you still feel like playing, you can plug the 3DS into the wall charger or charging station.

Built in software

1) Face Raiders is a really fun game to play. The object of the game is to collect faces. When you take a picture of a face, you will first fight the faces. They will try to throw bombs and kiss you and a lot more surprises.
2) Mii Maker - This thing hates me! I took 4 pictures of myself and even had someone try to take a picture of me and every time it didn't look anything like me. Lucky, you can connect your 3DS to the Mii Wii channel. I ended up transferring my Wii Mii to my 3DS. My favorite thing about this channel is that it allows you to create QR codes to share to people on your website and other social sites like Facebook.
3) AR Games- Fun games. I wish I could describe them but it's impossible. It's just something you have to experience in person.
4) 3DS camera- This is pretty neat. You can take pictures in 3D or 2D. A later system update will include the ability to record 3D movies.
5) Mii Plaza- It's identical to the Wii plaza. You can store all your miis here.
6) 3DS sound- It's nice to use if you don't like caring around another music device. The 3DS sound works the same way as DSi Sound.
7) Activity log- Keeps track of your steps. Earn playcoins for every 100 steps you take. These coins can be used to unlock new things
8) Streetpass - it has a cool built in game called Find Mii and there are also puzzle pieces you can collect.

I recommend that you try the Nintendo 3DS from a friend or a demo unit at the store before you buy. Overall, I was happy with my purchase. The only way to know if the 3DS is right for you is to try it for yourself. As Nintendo says "Seeing is Believing!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall Great Job Nintendo, April 7, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
Rating 5 Stars = I love it!

Having played the 3DS for nearly two weeks on and off, I am ready to type up my review. This is a review of the system overall. I have had a DS Lite, DSi and DSiXL, so I've had a good taste of the technology. The 3DS is Nintendo's "New" console. That's right, it is not another iteration of the previous DS systems, it is considered a new console, like when the Wii came out. With that in mind, here is my review.

I have been playing Pilotwings Resort as well as all the other system-included apps. The first thing I noticed is the much improved graphics. The graphics remind me more of the Wii graphics. I haven't seen all the other games available, however Pilotwings was done very well. The graphics were smooth and fluid--this is easily noticed due to the improved performance this device is capable of.

The improvements in this system:

Visuals:
The screen resolution is much more sharp than previously available. The touch screen is about as big as the DSi's touch screen so if you're going form a DSi, you won't be disappointed in the least. In fact, I've heard folks complain about how small the screens are--not so! The top screen is a wide screen, so now you'll be able to enjoy all the new games in widescreen! Don't think it makes a difference? Just give it a try. Playing Pilotwings in 3D really does make a difference. I am very satisfied with the screen quality, resolution, color etc. They chose a great quality screen and it will be exciting to see what games will put a smile on our faces in the future.

The next improvements are the apps. It comes with face raiders, AR games and the Mii plaza. These are just to add value to the device and are nice to showcase what the 3DS is capable of. In other words, they're not going to keep you entertained for hours on end, but they are enjoyable to show your friends. The AR games are pretty cool--the first time I saw them, I was quite happy about it. I could tell Nintendo had really thought about how to give the consumer even more than just 3D.

Something else that is cool is you can now get your pictures from your computer, put them on the SD card and actually view them! For some reason Nintendo didn't make this possible on previous DS systems.

The 3D effect is for real. It is awesome and the only way to know what I'm talking about is to try it out for yourself. Nintendo does not release technology like this until it's ready and it's actually quite amazing. With that in mind, I'm not going to spend much time on this, because this was done well, you just have to try it out for yourself to see if you like it.

Audio:
The music app is a lot better. Why? You can now put your non-protected .mp3 music right onto the 3DS. You get the folder with your mp3s, copy them to the 3DS SD card and boom, you're ready to go! It has some cool visual players that make it fun to play music. Of course the sound is crisp and clear. To be honest, the speakers on the 3DS are very good. Not too quiet, not too loud. I think Nintendo was trying to help conserve battery power by now allowing it to be too loud, but when the room is quiet, it is plenty loud.

When I plugged in my standard ipod earphones and played Pilotwings, the sound quality was perfect. There are no limitations for the sound quality the 3DS will play. You want orchestral sounds? The 3DS can do it. You won't be disappointed with the sounds quality of the 3DS and as long as the game developers release great soundtracks, the 3DS does not lack in this department.

Hardware look and feel:
When I first saw the 3DS in aqua blue, I thought to myself, not a bad looking device! It has a nice sparkly surface that goes gradually lighter and darker so it's not just a solid plastic. The quality of the device is great as well. There is a lip on the upper portion of the device that makes it very easy to open up. Not that the previous DSs were hard to open, but it just makes it very clear where to open it. The buttons are improved from previous devices, they feel good to press. The L and R buttons feel better than any previous system I've had. The volume and 3D volume sliders are located in convenient places so overall it's great. My only complaint is where the stylus is located. It's almost hidden and thought to myself, why would they put it there? I'm right-handed, so I thought it would have been better served if they put it on the RIGHT side, but go figure--Nintendo probably had a reason for this, but hopefully next revs are better. It's not that big of a deal to me, but it is kind of annoying. The stylus itself is a telescoping stylus and is of high quality, certainly much better quality than the plastic styli that came with the previous so no big complaints.

The camera is cool, just as good as previous versions. The only improvement here I can see is it does 3D pictures. The quality of the camera itself is not superb. The 3D is cool, but it doesn't actually blow your mind because the camera is not so great. I don't think most people play their DS to take pictures, so I find this of minimal concern.

Something that will take some getting use to is the location of the Select and Start buttons versus the power button. It's more natural to press the power button on the 3DS to return to the home screen, however now you press an actual "Home" button, which is located directly below the touch screen. Not a great location, but I am not sure how they would have made this better. I think it's just a matter of getting use to how it works. If you're in a game, you can press the home button, and it will suspend your game and take you home. This is a cool feature in and of itself, but even cooler than that, there is a game notes app so while your game is suspended, it will display the two screens you were in when you suspended the game and you can make notes! Pretty sweet. You can even save those notes to your SD card.

Overall, the hardware is great. I like the cradle it came with. You don't ever have to power down the 3DS, just close the lid, cradle and it will recharge while it's in that state, which is pretty sweet.

Here is a beef you may not like. The 3DS offers backwards compatibility to your DS/DSi games so they can be played. The drawback? The 3DS has completely different screen resolution so in order to make it "fit" on the screen, it must stretch the image. The overall quality is not pretty in my opinion, because you can tell the colors are not as vibrant, and the picture quality is not as sharp. Now you can load the game with the original resolution, but in order to do this, it shrinks the picture down A LOT. I can see how some people would complain about this. For myself, I'm not getting rid of my DSiXL so it's not a show stopper for me, but it may be for some who are going to be getting rid of their DSi.

Something else I found quite annoying was with how so many vendors were offering trade-ins for consumers old DS systems for credit towards your shiny new 3DS, especially the DSiXL. Well, this is all well and good, but if you have purchased games on your DSi/DSiXL you will lose them, because Nintendo doesn't offer the transfer app until the end of May, so I would be upset about this. Again, this is not a show stopper for me because I'm not getting rid of my DSiXL system, because I love how huge the screen is.

Overall, if you think about the 3DS as a completely new console (and it is) and not another revision of the DS system, you will not be disappointed with it's backwards compatibility, but if this is a show stopper, stop by and demo the 3DS at any local retailer.

It's a sweet system and aside from my annoyances with the backwards compatibility, it will be an awesome system for many years to come. I am keeping my DSiXL for sure, and when the 3DSXL comes out, I'll be getting that and giving my old one to my wife :) Even with the limitations, I'm still giving this system 5 stars, because of the considerations I've already mentioned. Don't be nervous, you won't be disappointed, but keep your old DS system so you can play it in their original glory.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of the system so far, for both DS and 3DS games, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
After buying all the DS variations in the past (besides DSI XL) I decided to take the plunge and pick this version up. It has great backwards compatibility with all the DS games working on it, along with some good games out so far, it's the ultimate version of the DS.

Backwards compatibility:

So far all the DS games I have played on this game work with the Nubstick and the D-pad. The Nubstick only moves in four directions like the D-pad, but I find it more comfortable that working with the D-pad, and since the D-pad is located below it, you can tell they wanted people to use the Nubstick over it. 3D is turned off automatically for obvious reasons.

When you load a DS game it plays it a bit stretched on the top to a bigger square than the native DS resolution (Not full screen though, left and right have black bars but it's not noticeable) and the bottom is stretch the entire square, and the touch controls work just fine and I didn't notice anything wrong with them even though its stretched.

You can also hold Start + Select when you load a DS game to play in the native resolution of the game, which plays them in a really small square in both the touch screen and top screen. The touch screen works with the smaller screen as well, but with at least 358/2 days I was able to control the camera past the screen size in the black areas, so this might affect DS games that rely on precise touch screen controls.

While it stretches the DS games, I only noticed minor pixelations that were noticeable but didn't take away from the games. I prefer playing the games in the stretch mode, and even the originally DS didn't have the native resolutions the games were made in, so those are stretched as well. Since all the DS games work with the Nub stick, I think this is the best version of the DS to play DS games on. They even included the original DS wifi setup, so that you can play online with your DS titles as well.

Hardware:

The 3DS has a nice weight to it and doesn't feel like it will break any time soon. All the parts of the 3DS are fingerprint magnets, with no 3DS option out there so far with a matte finish, so you will be wiping your 3DS a lot. The stylus has gotten an upgrade; the stick part pulls out in a longer stick and is metal now. The tip still is rubber plastic, so you won't scratch your screens. It folds up into a smaller version and is stored in the top bottom part of the DS now, and is near the game slot.

Just like the DSI you can add a SD memory card and the 3DS comes with a 2 GB card for free. With this you can add music to the 3DS, download the official emulator games on the marketplace, along with all the new features to the 3DS that I will talk about shortly. Unlike the Vita, the memory cards are not proprietary. So you can buy a cheap 32 GB micro SD card, get and adapter for it and use that, instead of being forced to pay 100 dollars if you want a 32 GB's. If you want to transfer music or other things to the DS, your computer will need a SD memory card slot since the 3DS doesn't have any USB connection. Unfortunately most games still only keep games saves on the 3DS cartridges, and not save to the memory card.

You can charge the 3DS on both a cord like the DS and GBA chargers, or you can put it in a cradle where you put the cord into. The cradle itself allows you to just set the 3DS in it and charge away. The cradle is pretty cool since the 3DS just slides into it, without having to hook anything up directly to the system, just the charger dock.
The 3DS comes with three camera ports. The rear facing camera has two slots since it can take 3D pictures. It isn't the best quality out there, but it is nice to have just in case you need it. The 3D pictures are cool, but will only be viewable in 3DS itself. Along with that, you can take capture AR pictures for various games and software titles and augmented reality cards. The front facing camera isn't the greatest quality as well, and is really only used for games that capture your face.

The headphone jack is on the bottom of the DS now (where the GBA slot was), which makes for more comfortable gaming experience when you're playing with headphones on. Like the previous DS's, they also have a microphone slot for games which require you to talk into. It also spins the icons at the main menu when you blow into it. The battery life is pretty low though, running at 3-6 hours depending on settings and if you're using 3D or not. They do have a battery saving mode and you can reduce the brightness for longer battery life.

Software:

A web browser has been added as well, and actually works pretty well. It doesn't have flash built in, but the sites do load pretty fast and can switch through multiple tabs and zoom in with the touch screen. Just like a regular browser you can save favorites and it saves cookies on your system for sites you visit often.
The store application allows us to finally be able to download DS games through wifi now. They currently have RE: Revelations and MGS:3 as the main demos, but they only have 30 uses each. You can also download a bunch of free applications as well. Netflix is available, but you need an active subscription for it and I think in the future they will have 3D titles available to watch.

A 3D pokedex is free to download as well, and you can unlock new pokemon through the AR reader and reloading it every day. A free 3D note writer is downloadable as well, and it works with streetpass with other people. A video player can be downloaded as well, and it updates every week with 4 videos during that week that range from random videos to music videos. They are all in 3D.

All the DSi-ware games are downloadable on the 3DS and they have been releasing Gameboy games with the built in emulator they have. This could lead to GBA games being purchasable; I personally would love to be able to buy the older pokemon games for the 3DS. NES and Gamegear have emulator games downloadable in the store, which could lead to so many other systems getting an emulator for the 3DS.

Setting up wi-fi is really easy this time around, even if you have a WPA-key router. I didn't have to set up the ip address and the other settings for the 3DS wifi (Had to do this for the DS wifi settings since it still messes up) and this is a nice relief with a bunch of wireless games coming to the 3DS. I haven't noticed any lag so far for multiplayer gaming.

Streetpass is something new they added with 3DS, which is a wireless function that interacts with other peoples 3DS when you go past them. This could range from trading Ghost racing data in Mario Kart, to trading notes you set up to send to other people. It has a pretty far range as well (I live near a road, and left my 3DS on and got some people with streetpass that drove past my house) and it's a pretty cool way to interact with other random people.

Verdict:

I know I talked a lot in this review, but I wanted to cover as much as I could during the course of this review. The 3D effects are really cool in all the menus and applications you can get and if most games are going to be like Mario Kart 7's 3D effects, I am really looking forward to the future of this system. Definitely not a DS I will sell anytime soon and I recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap portable system, especially if you haven't had a DS before. Also Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance coming out for this doesn't hurt either.

~ Written: April, 2012

Positives:
* Great backwards compatibility that is actually improving over the original DS
* Upgraded stylus
* Browser is well made to the 3DS
* Better spot for a headphone jack
* DSi-ware works
* Gameboy, NES and gamegear emulator
* Wifi is finally easy to set up
* Game time tracking in daily, monthly and yearly segments

Negatives:
* Not the greatest camera
* Semi low battery life

5.0 out of 5 stars A Basic Review From My Son's Point of View, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
An interview with my son about his 3DS. He is eight years old.
Q: How does the 3DS compare to the regular DS?
A: The 3DS has better software and animation. It seems like a mini Wii. I like the collapsible stylus much better. The cradle is cool...you can just lift it off.
Q: What is your favorite part of the new 3DS?
A: It has a camera and a special game that you move the camera around to shoot things around you. I like to take pictures of pictures in my house to make new characters.
Q: Is there anything about the new 3DS that you don't like?
A: It's more confusing than the old system, but I can get help from you when I need it.
Q: What would have been your color choice if you had had one (it was a Christmas present)?
A: Turquois
Q: What is your favorite game cartridge?
A: The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Open comments from my son: It has Netflix and I like that much better. I like the whole thing. There are so many details that I cannot explain every single one.

Well, there you have it. Not as in depth as some other reviews, but certainly a different viewpoint.

One last question: What was your favorite Christmas present this year?
A: My skateboard

5.0 out of 5 stars I was a skeptic. Now I'm blown away., March 27, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
After first hearing of the 3DS so long ago, I felt cynical about Nintendo hopping on board the now popular (and in my opinion, overused) 3D technology.

Want a crummy movie to sell? Make it 3D. Need a new gimmick to up the price of (lately dropping) flat screen TVs? Make it 3D. So I believed Nintendo would be producing another Virtual Boy; a new console with a gimmick to get buyers, but not actually bring anything worth while to the table.

My brother had a different view, and he was excited about it. We both watched as news and information came out. I remained ambivalent and skeptical. He continued to insist this would be not just a good, but an exciting replacement to the DS/DSi. I scoffed.

Last night at the midnight release, we picked up our 3DS's (he the Aqua Blue, I the Cosmo Black). After a few minutes of play, I had to admit he was right, and this is possibly, the most exciting console in a LOOOONG time. It's brilliantly designed, and the 3D effect is amazing.

Only cons to mention:
While I thought the DSiXL was too big to carry in my purse, I got used to the larger screens. The 3DS is more along the physical size of the DSLite. So, it's back to perfect purse or pocket size, but the screens are a bit smaller as well.

The black is a nice gloss, but my regret is not getting the Aqua Blue. I had assumed the blue would be along the lines of the US DS/DSlite/DSi colors released so far (glossy but solid laminate). It isn't, it's a gorgeous metallic turquoise.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, June 14, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
i got this a week after it came out everyone kept saying it is a waste of money. i do agree it is expensive well its because its new there has never been anything like it. well i traded in my dsi for it and brought it home. i got splinter cell 3d and the grapics are amazing i think even better than the wii it is like a mini wii. you can create mii characters like on the wii if you are concerend about headaches or eyestrain like i was. i borrowed my friends 3ds and the first couple days i had headaches. like after 2 days or so i got used to it and didnt have any head aches. it has a camera inner cam and outer cam. even thogh it takes 3d pictures it has low quality it is still a pretty cool camera. i dont reccomend using it for like your camera you take pic of everything with. but thats up to you. one of my favorite features is street pass if you are near a another 3ds in sleep modeit wil exchange data and miis with the other 3ds. you can also listen to music if you save it to your sd card and it comes with one. i loved the ar games they were really fun alot of people are hardcore gamers and didnt like the ds because games like call of duty just didnt have good graphics or controls. well i got splinter cell and the controls were perfect aand so were the graphics dont listen to people who say you cant play hard core games, the graphics are bad, it freezzes etc. it is the opisite of that i showed the 3ds to my friend and he loved it he hated the old ds's he was a hardcore gamer and hated dsi. i showed him my 3ds he was like im getting one of these. if you liked the dsi or ds lite or you wanted nintendo to step up with the graphics or you wanted hardcore games i highly recommend this please dont listen to the bad reviews. all in all this is an amazing system.

5.0 out of 5 stars The low vision senior gamer lady (61) is back!, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
I am absolutely delighted with my Nintendo DXL because of low vision and I said that I would probably not consider the Nintendo 3DS. Well, curiosity got the best of me. For the past few weeks I have been hovering around the store displays. I have to say that you can't get an accurate assessment of the system from store displays because the units are tethered. This just does not work well and I would imagine that most people will come away with a headache from this setup. They also only display a demo version of PilotWings-big deal. After having my gorgeous aqua unit for a couple of days, I have to say that the potential of this system is great and it will be fun to see what the game developers are able to do with the new format. The unit does play DS games but they are really small after the "correction". I am thinking that Nintendo put the DS in this version for crossover play. The next version will probably not be DS compatible-just like the DSi could not play Advance games. I am hanging on to my much loved DXL for these games. I have an eye RX of -8.5 and had trouble seeing the screen. I actually play the DXL without glasses and close to my face-love it. For those with similar problems, you can't go glasses free with the 3DS because the unit needs to be a foot from the face to see the 3D effect. Oddly enough, I can handle this and am amazed. Keep in mind that the "action" is now happening on the larger, upper screen. I am not worried about damaging my eyes. Instead I am looking forward to exercising by brain in a new and exciting way. So, for now I have decided to only buy 3DS games and to pick up wanted DS games either used or at a great discount. Nintendo is changing formats again and I have decided to follow this revolutionary new system. I can't wait until Zelda gets here and have ordered my copy.

Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue
Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
$199.95