Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Package Type: StandardChange

There is no question that when it has came down to Nintendo, they have been the most dominant and driven video game companies of all time. For the past 30 years, they have definitely changed and influenced the way we play video games from start to finish. From the classic Super Mario Brothers, to the first time we've seen the vulgar and then fun-loving ape Donkey Kong, all the way to us dethroning Ganon from the clutches of his reign against Zelda in Hyrule. Nintendo has definitely shown that it has done it all. While other companies have tried from Sega, and Sony, none of them have had the long-lasting influence that keeps Nintendo going. With all the hype around what Nintendo has done with the 3DS this past Spring, they have finally brought gamers into the 3rd dimension, and it is definitely worth it.

The new Nintendo 3DS Super Mario 3D Land pack, includes Nintendo's 3DS system in a shiny crimson red, that is bold as the colors Mario wears in his bouts with Bowser. The game system is fresh and vibrant as you could expect. Not only can you download great games from the Nintendo through the E-shop like Excitebike, and DSiware greats like Art Style: Base 10 and Asphalt 4: Extreme Racing, but you can play your favorite Nintendo DS titles like Meteos, New Super Mario Brothers and Brain Age. The system also shows a brilliant display of great graphics with new titles like Starfox 64 3D and The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D which you can play with the control at your fingertips, as well as the bulit-in gyro sensor where you can simply move the 3DS and try to shoot down your enemies, or take a stunning photo of your friends with the 3DS camera.

The bundle pack also includes Nintendo's latest gem for the 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, a game of stunning display as Mario tries to save Princess Toadstool (also known as Peach) from the rule of Bowser, as he attempts to steal the tree which holds the tanooki leaves in bloom. It is then up to Mario to save the princess and defeat foes like the inky piranha, tanooki bullet bills, and the return of Boom Boom from Super Mario Brothers 3. The gameplay is absolutely fierce, but also includes a lot of challenge in Mario's quest. Graphically, the game stands out beautifully, and is definitely Nintendo's best game so far for the Nintendo 3DS, while the control is strong and easy to maintain throughout each level and warp pipe. The sound is classic just like Mario's games from before by mixing in a bit of old and classic platforming with the new technology, and the gameplay is overall a incredible and fun masterpiece.

If there is ever a reason to get the Nintendo 3DS, this is definitely it right here. The Nintendo 3DS Super Mario 3D Land bundle pack is definitely worth the money. It is a great buy for any gamer top to bottom, and shows in a nutshell what Mario has been able to do all this time that has never been forgotten. While so many people did overlook the system at launch, it certainly is unavoidable. This is a definitely great buy, and at a affordable price, just like the warp zones you and Mario have gone through for the past 26 years.

Nintendo 3DS system: A-

Super Mario 3D Land: A-

Graphics: A

Sound: A 1/2-

Control: A-

Fun & Enjoyment: A-

Overall: A-
55 comments28 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
I bought this for my little six year old on the sole basis that we live in Washington and we don't always have the luxury of playing outside when ever we feel like it. So, I got my little guy the 3DS. Let's review.

First I'd like to start out by stating that the price for this really can't be beat. I bought this with the Marioland game installed for $149 at Best Buy on a Black Friday deal, but to be fair I probably would have paid about 60 bucks more after playing around on this. I have owned a DS prior to this but ended up selling it a few years ago due to video game variety. Since then I have to give Nintendo credit because they've really added some great titles to the DS and 3DS.

On one negative side note, I did notice that the new 3DS does not seem quite as sturdy as my old DS, but regardless it still very sturdy. I mentioned that because I noticed some reviewers pointing out the fact that the 3DS is flimsy, which I don't think is true at all, but I can see their argument if they are comparing to the old DS. We've only had it out of the package a couple days now but my son has no clue how to treat electronics so needless to say so far it has passed the durability test (He can't just set the game down when he goes to the bathroom, he has to get up and toss the 3DS on the couch...urg).

The function is great and I especially like the additional thumb analog stick for the more fluid movements as opposed to the traditional Nintendo arrow pad. The graphics are pretty good and rival those of the Wii for comparison. One negative mark for the 3DS is the actual 3D feature. I have to admit it's actually really cool.....for a little while. After long usage it can give you a headache (anything over an hour to an hour and a half, but to be honest, nobody should stare at a screen that long in the first place). The effects of the 3D can be adjusted and I suggest doing so. After I turned down the settings on the 3D it was much more enjoyable and added longer game play without a headache for extended usage. Also, the 3D can be turned off completely if needed. For some people that may be a vital piece of information.

The wifi on this work pretty good. I was really surprised to see how well it worked for Netflix (Yes, for those of you who did not know, this does support Netlix. And pretty well too.) It actually did everything internet wise fairly fast. I give the wifi a big thumbs up.

The game that this particular 3DS comes with is called Mario Land 3D. It is by far the funniest game I've played on the DS platform (or any platform for that matter), and maybe even one of the best Mario's I've played since Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine. Thumbs up!

So between the 3DS and the PS Vita some of you may be in a bit of a struggle. Well to be honest their both great. When making this decision it is best to consider the age. If your audience is 10 or younger go with the DS or 3DS. If they are older, go with the PD Vita. The Vita also has better resolution when watching movies, but it's really nothing too major, but the games are geared more towards older kids and adults. The 3DS is good for all ages but younger kids have a better grasp of Nintendo games and they seem to be a lot more simplistic. So, age is your factor but do your research cause it's not always the case.

All round I have to say I am very happy with this purchase. It was between this and the PS Vita (which I'm sure we will get next Christmas, because it is really fun too), and for now I am really happy with my decision. I am very happy to give the 3DS a 5 out of 5 stars. Take care!

I will update later if needed. If anything is to go wrong you guys will be the first to know it.
on January 9, 2012
The 3D effect is really cool, but it takes some getting use to. I bought this for my nephew, and he usually plays it with 3D off and plugged in. Battery life is really short, but I heard this in advance.

Maybe the DSi XL would be better for portability, but I think I would still go with the ability to do 3D for the added experience.
on July 2, 2012
The kids really like the product and really use all the time. It being used all the time and alot of fights over the system is happen but really enjoy it
My son has a DS that he plays some games on, but it's never been a big thing in our lives. Especially with our iPads, iPhones, iPod touches, and the MS Surface Pro for mobile gaming... We spend most of our time on our consoles.

But sometimes it's nice to have something different, hence the Vita and the DS we've had. Some games we like are only available on the other platforms.

He loves Mario Kart on the Wii, and Sonic racing on the Xbox and the PS Vita. The other day we were in a local brick and mortar and he was playing the demo 3DS there with Mario Kart 7. I hadn't seen 7 yet, so I checked it out, and was pretty impressed.

I had never paid much attention to the 3DS system, so it was my first time to really look at it. And I have to say, I was impressed at what they accomplished without the use of any glasses.

The stick layout is SO much nicer now with this, compared to the standard DS layout with just the four way pad on the left. The sliding stick is awesome, and makes gameplay a lot more enjoyable.

The bundled things were fun too, taking advantage of the cameras to put your own face on a little helicopter that you get to shoot in your own virtual room.

It's comfortable enough to hold for some extended gaming, and while the graphics aren't up to par with the Vita for example, they work well with the games that they have. The Super Mario 3D land is quite a bit of fun, a nice change from the normal 2D scrolling side to side.

And the 3D effect is just amazing for something this small. It really makes a huge difference when you're playing the games.

I surprised him with it this weekend, first by giving him the Mario Kart 7 card, then watching his disappointment when it wouldn't fit in the old DS. He was sad, and ready to take it back, then I pulled out the new 3DS from behind a blanket on the couch and said, "At least we should try it in here first." The look on his face was worth it.

If you're a fan of the Nintendo games available on these, and you haven't really checked one of these out in person, do so. It's amazing, and well worth it at the prices you can get them at now this long after launch.
on May 26, 2013
I can't review all the technical aspects of this game system, but as a parent I can address some of the concerns that others might have in terms of buying this for a child.
My son received the 3DS for his 9th birthday. I was concerned about too much 3D exposure but the parental controls allow you to limit that or even turn the 3D slide off altogether. My son cannot access the parental controls to change that without a 4-digit pin code that only I know. Same goes for internet access and game levels (i.e. he could not put in a game rated above what I've set his rating limits for), plus Netflix shows. He can still play his older DS games on this system (but be aware that they will not appear in 3D). The convincing factor for us buying it for him was when we realized that most of the new games that are being released weren't compatible with his DSi. These portable gaming systems are great for long car rides, office waiting rooms, etc. My son has been very happy with his 3DS. I don't find that the battery dies any faster than his regular DSi, and it was nice to find that the chargers we already had fit in the 3DS. There is also a hard rubber case you can buy to go around the 3DS that has its own backup battery power, and when the 3DS battery dies it will convert to the case' battery power to supplement.
on June 27, 2013
This is a great Nintendo product. I got this Christmas 2011. And I still am not sick of it. I got the flame red one. I love the red color. it is really shiny. The 3d is awesome. You can turn it off if you don't like it. I go back and forth. But the 3ds is really cool. Their are some awesome games already on the system that are just kinda small mini games like this head exploder game and stuff. Really fun. And the Mario game is way awesome. That game still goes for $30. But it is a great Mario game. Anyways. I think this is the best color and a fantastic system. I think this is the best 3ds pack you can get at the moment.
on February 15, 2013
We have smartphones and PS Vita, but nothing can beat the 3DS in terms of sheer fun. From the included Super Mario 3D Land (which is stored on the included 2GB SD card) to all the creative fun you can have with the system's built-in apps, the 3DS entertains and surprises and satisfies in every way before we need to purchase another game! It's of course also compatible with the thousands of DS games out there. We enjoy both DS and 3DS games, even though their graphics cannot match that on the PS Vita. The StreetPass feature whereby you exchange data including Mii's with other 3DS users must be tried.
on January 27, 2016
This is a great bundle if you plan to buy Super Mario 3D Land anyways (which I don't see why you wouldn't). The game is preinstalled so it is tied to the system, but is transferable if you choose to upgrade down the road. The flame red is quite nice but is actually different from the standard flame red one in that it it only a solid red color instead of the three toned color scheme. I personally prefer the three toned color scheme but not a big deal. This is nice bundle and the 3DS is a great system with a platform full of amazing games. Pick it up if it is at a nice price!
on June 28, 2013
I am Venezuelan ... I get the product faster than was offered to box the company was going to move to my country, I am very pleased ... is a beauty, my children are very happy and is just the product that you pay ... Thank you. and recommend it to anyone wishing to purchase a quality product where there is a responsible seller worth it thanks again ...